• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U eshop Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Briarios

Just got my Wii U set up today and picked up Giana Sisters & Mighty Switch Force HD -- and, it's awesome to see this list of indies coming. However, I heard the most disheartening thing.

My fiance's daughter was sitting here watching me download the stuff and I was telling her about the controller -- and, she looked down for the first time and saw the Wii U system and said -- "Wait! It's a whole different SYSTEM? It's not the Wii? I thought it was just a new controller from the commercials."

This is a jr. high student who plays Pokemon & Animal Crossing on the 3DS and loves Minecraft ... she's not an uber-gamer, but she's familiar enough that it's clear Nintendo has failed marketing the Wii U.

Effect

I wish Nintendo's indie outreach (those in charged had more power) extended to more established companies. I don't really think it does by the lack of games like Minecraft and The Walking Dead (Telltale). I'm sitting here and I can't help but think about games the system should have on fronts it at least seems to be having some positive outcomes.

jmizzal

I wish Nintendo's indie outreach (those in charged had more power) extended to more established companies. I don't really think it does by the lack of games like Minecraft and The Walking Dead (Telltale). I'm sitting here and I can't help but think about games the system should have on fronts it at least seems to be having some positive outcomes.

Yup Minecraft and the Walking Dead should have been some of the first games they got on WiiU, TT was all over Wii.

kunonabi

Just got my Wii U set up today and picked up Giana Sisters & Mighty Switch Force HD -- and, it's awesome to see this list of indies coming. However, I heard the most disheartening thing.

My fiance's daughter was sitting here watching me download the stuff and I was telling her about the controller -- and, she looked down for the first time and saw the Wii U system and said -- "Wait! It's a whole different SYSTEM? It's not the Wii? I thought it was just a new controller from the commercials."

This is a jr. high student who plays Pokemon & Animal Crossing on the 3DS and loves Minecraft ... she's not an uber-gamer, but she's familiar enough that it's clear Nintendo has failed marketing the Wii U.

yeah,that's been my experience as well. i'm not sure if people are ever going to figure it out on their own.

Crub

I would be very surprised if Nintendo hasn't reached out to Mojang. The bigger players simply aren't as interested in Wii U.

Effect

I would be very surprised if Nintendo hasn't reached out to Mojang. The bigger players simply aren't as interested in Wii U.

I think so as well. Nintendo has to be the one to reach out and put a money figure on the table. That would instantly stop any and all talk about "not having the time or resources". Money makes things happen. The only reason we even have these indie games coming is because Nintendo put money on the table to give developers access to all sorts of software when they purchase a dev kit. That only gets you so far. Especially when Nintendo refuses to market this support or even push these games. So they need the more well known games.

The Walking Dead is advertised like crazy because of how popular the show is. Just having the Wii U logo on that screen would be the tipping point for people. Give them one more reason, that they didn't have before, to buy the system and then buy more games for it. This I add to Iwata being ignorant of western trends. Continuing to be as well because I see nothing that makes me think he's trying to address that.

I said it when Wii U launch it was going to be a 1st party and indie machine... for me at least. So many titles on this list that i am more excited about than any of the 3rd party games not coming to the system. No drought for this guy.

I'm more than happy with a Nintendo + Indie machine. I can only recall buying one 3rd party game, out of about 8 or so retail games. I did rent Rayman Legends, though.

So far i've bought 6 indie games, and 2014 seems like the year where we'll be getting plenty more.

tebunker

Banned
I think so as well. Nintendo has to be the one to reach out and put a money figure on the table. That would instantly stop any and all talk about "not having the time or resources". Money makes things happen. The only reason we even have these indie games coming is because Nintendo put money on the table to give developers access to all sorts of software when they purchase a dev kit. That only gets you so far. Especially when Nintendo refuses to market this support or even push these games. So they need Ade the more well known games.

The Walking Dead is advertised like crazy because of how popular the show is. Just having the Wii U logo on that screen would be the tipping point for people. Give them one more reason, that they didn't have before, to buy the system and then buy more games for it. This I add to Iwata being ignorant of western trends. Continuing to be as well because I see nothing that makes me think he's trying to address that.

Dan adelman, of Noa, flat out has said that Minecraft was one of his first goals to get on Wiiu, and that Nintendo has constantly been in talks with Mojang. It just hasnt happened yet. Adelman has gotten a lot of indies on board though and they seem to be doing a great job so far. Much better than what they are doing with major devs.

tebunker

Banned
A nicely compiled list of 120+ indie games, coming to the Wii U.

http://n4g.com/news/1453653/120-upc...die-strategy-is-paying-off-transforming-wii-u

Just went through the whole list and lets just say that they were pretty liberal with some of the games. I would be surprised if half of these games ever came period let alone on the Wiiu.

The also completely ignore Project CARS which we do know is coming, and they basically include any game that vaguely mentions wiiu as a possible platform. Kind of half assed and I can see why they are banned here.

jmizzal

Just went through the whole list and lets just say that they were pretty liberal with some of the games. I would be surprised if half of these games ever came period let alone on the Wiiu.

The also completely ignore Project CARS which we do know is coming, and they basically include any game that vaguely mentions wiiu as a possible platform. Kind of half assed and I can see why they are banned here.

This list on here does pretty much the same thing tho

Good to know.

You really think at least 60 of them games mentioned will be canceled completely? That would be pretty bad.

tebunker

Banned
Well one I though they got their bann lifted here... confirm? They also sated some of the games listed were actual announcements/reveals. so they are suppose to be doing another article maybe a day or so from nowwith confirmations on some dates and the revealed games. I know the main writer there this wasnt some piece just thrown together to try and make the Wii U look good or something. This was showing the payoff from what Nintendo has been working on for the past year and a half with these indies. I did ask them about the project cars not being on the list I am awaiting a response.

Hopefully they took the time they claim and vetted these games, just not holding my breath. Indie games are notorious already notorious for never appearing, and when you add in more platforms it makes seem even less likely. Now I will still be the first to buy many of these games if they do hit the system I love me some indies and the Wiiu can use em.

GulAtiCa

Hopefully they took the time they claim and vetted these games, just not holding my breath. Indie games are notorious already notorious for never appearing, and when you add in more platforms it makes seem even less likely. Now I will still be the first to buy many of these games if they do hit the system I love me some indies and the Wiiu can use em.

Though I wasn't involved with the article (I write for NE sometimes), I do know we did actually spend a lot of time making sure these games both exist and are coming to the Wii U.

There are a great bit more coming that haven't even been revealed yet to the world. I know of several Unity/NWF games yet to be announced.

jmizzal

I really want somebody to bring over a F2P shooter or cheap online shooter to WiiU, I would love for UBisoft to still bring Ghost Recon online since it was like the first 3rd party WiiU game we seen played

GulAtiCa

I wonder if there will be any online Poker games for the Wii U by Fall. Part of me has always wanted to make a Poker game (esp multiple game types). Having no competition would be kinda neat and help make it actually worth while to invest making it. (one of my many ideas)

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Though I wasn't involved with the article (I write for NE sometimes), I do know we did actually spend a lot of time making sure these games both exist and are coming to the Wii U.

There are a great bit more coming that haven't even been revealed yet to the world. I know of several Unity/NWF games yet to be announced.

That Space Pioneer game is listed for example, but hasn't finished its kickstarter.

Effect

Dan adelman, of Noa, flat out has said that Minecraft was one of his first goals to get on Wiiu, and that Nintendo has constantly been in talks with Mojang. It just hasnt happened yet. Adelman has gotten a lot of indies on board though and they seem to be doing a great job so far. Much better than what they are doing with major devs.

Their talking is worthless then. The game still isn't on the system and it hasn't been announced. They need to stop "talking" and actually start doing things. For all the "talking" they seem to be doing they seem quite content to allow Sony to get all the praise for their indie outreach. If they must talk then talk up their own successes so people don't think only their competition is doing things that matter.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Their talking is worthless then. The game still isn't on the system and it hasn't been announced. They need to stop "talking" and actually start doing things. For all the "talking" they seem to be doing they seem quite content to allow Sony to get all the praise for their indie outreach. If they must talk then talk up their own successes so people don't think only their competition is doing things that matter.

For all of the money Notch has made his studio still isn't that large. He's current setup can only do so much. That's why it's taken this long to get the mobile version up to speed vs just coming out with all the PC features when it launched.

I think Nintendo does really need this, but part of this aspect is just out of their control.

GulAtiCa

Actually, they need to start talking. They've barely been out in the public with the details of this program of NWF & Unity. They may not be hush hush, but they certainly aren't doing their best to let the world know how easy it is to be an indie dev on Wii U (esp with free Unity). Esp when Unity for Sony I believe is not free. From my own personal experience over the last 6 months, they have done a lot to make this all possible for indie Wii U.

The result is that they've been doing a lot of hard work to make this new program possible. I think the reason you see Sony getting more praise is that Nintendo isn't trying to go after the top 10% of indie devs and only the famous ones/etc. But are trying to make a program where all indies, even ones with no actual games, could join. You have no idea how easy they make this, all you have to do is apply to just get in and get a loaner kit.

I think the above list of indie games, shows that this idea of theirs is paying off. I really hope it does, as my experience has been wonderful so far. I really hope the Wii U becomes an indie console, as I know I have many other ideas for games for it.

The reason you see so many Sony news/threads on indies, is generally due to the indies be talked about are [indie] veterans in the industry who have outputted high quality games. So of course it appears like Sony are doing stuff while Nintendo isn't. You obviously don't see any threads about us small guys here. So without really looking in the right area, it might appear lopsided in a sense.

Would it be nice if Nintendo tried to go after the big guys? Sure. But I think their goal is to create a program to ensures a future of future possible big indies on their system.

/end rant

Jackano

Actually, they need to start talking. They've barely been out in the public with the details of this program of NWF & Unity. They may not be hush hush, but they certainly aren't doing their best to let the world know how easy it is to be an indie dev on Wii U (esp with free Unity).
I'm registered too and a lurker of the developers forums and I can't agree more.
Hopefully the results will show this year and this will encourage them to be more and more proactives (especially with all those Unity games that aren't gonna be on Wii U, and with those awfull kickstarter stretch goals).
On a related note, I will surely buy your game and a couple others just for the sake of your efforts :)

Mlatador

Banned
Eventhough Gun Lord didn't make its fundraiser (3DS & Wii U Version), the Wii U Version seems not out of the equation just yet.

Yesterday I send the devs an e-mail and asked them. They said, the 3DS version is rather unlikely to come out, but the Wii U version is something they'd still have an eye on.

GulAtiCa

I wish the Gunlord devs did a Kickstarter instead. But I know they couldn't since they are based out of Europe (and not UK)

Gunlord is a great game btw, I have it for Dreamcast.

dearodie

I wish the Gunlord devs did a Kickstarter instead. But I know they couldn't since they are based out of Europe (and not UK)

Gunlord is a great game btw, I have it for Dreamcast.

I think Indiegogo is their choice, not something they couldn't do. Maybe a missed opportunity on their end, I suppose they have their reasons.
This one was funded on KS: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/redux/redux-dark-matters-a-shmup-for-sega-dreamcast?ref=live

Quote:
"REDUX is a new shmup for the Sega Dreamcast/iOS brought to you by one of the guys who created GunLord, Fast Striker, Last Hope and DUX."

Also located in Hannover, Germany

Mlatador

Banned
I can't believe they aren't on the Wii U e-shop yet. Isn't it ridiculously easy to get a Wii U dev kit? Gun Lord looks so much better than the average indie e-shop attempt.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Art of Balance is due February 18th? Are you sure?

Weird... I definitely saw 2/18 before... I'm not sure why. It seems to be Q2 2014.

tomorrow I'll do it!
probably getting rid of the great zajora images to substitute them with just one screen per game, to update and uniform

Also, not to bug you Aostia, but do you need any help with screens/dates? I'm sure people in this thread would be glad to help.

Weng

From an interview with Witch Beam on Assault Android Cactus:
Have you considered including any Wii U specific features such as an asymmetric mode?
We’re still thinking about the best ways to use the controller. No plans to do the standard co-op mode in five players because the levels are already bursting at the seams in four players as is, but if there’s a mode that makes sense, we’re open to suggestions! (You hear that, readers?!)
Right now, our plan for Wii U is to support a ton of different controllers, classic pad and pro pad, Wii U + Nunchuk acting as a keyboard and mouse replacement, and of course, Wii U GamePad with custom UI on it (or off-screen play).

Has there been any thought about using Miiverse outside of its basic function?
Well, the way I’d like to do it is very similar to Mario‘s implementation: detecting if you had a particularly easy/hard time clearing a stage and then asking you if you’d like to comment on that stage. Then other players would be able to see those comments on our level select screen — perhaps in game on the clear screens, too.
I’m not sure what the logistics are on stamp unlocks, but I’d love to get some Cactus character art out there. I honestly believe the Miiverse is a concept we’ll look back on in a few years as being way ahead of its time. The way it strings your community together around game-specific elements — such as levels in Mario — is just fantastic.

That leads on to my next question: why exactly did you bring the game to Wii U, considering the negativity surrounding the platform?
There are a couple of reasons, I suppose. The first is that I really like playing games on my own Wii U and I see the potential of the system. Secondly, I think the audience for a Nintendo platform are a good fit for Cactus because they enjoy high-quality games that aren’t all about having $100 million dollars worth of art assets.
The third reason, I suppose, is that we could do it fairly easily. Nintendo have made huge efforts to be small-team friendly with their cheap or free development hardware and fantastic deal with Unity. I never thought I would be saying something like that about a major platform holder, but the landscape is changing! :)

That’s great to hear. Overall, how did you find the process of becoming an approved developer?
It was simple, although it took a while for us. We signed up after GDC last year when there was a crazy rush, but the actual paperwork/agreements were all very easy to understand and arrange. I’d encourage anyone who’s interested in Wii U development to fill out the form or e-mail/tweet their representatives. They want to have your game on Wii U as much as you want to make it for Wii U!

Source: a quite enthusiastic Nintendo site

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Also, not to bug you Aostia, but do you need any help with screens/dates? I'm sure people in this thread would be glad to help.

first, thanks. second, sorry: busy time at work!
I'm actually planning to create a new thread with streamlined OP (the actual one is quite a mess to be updated), with just the "New releases" or "Released" or "Incoming" or "Pending" banners, bolded titles with crucial info and a link.

If someone has the will to help me out, would be great. the most important things would be to post screens with a given format for the games. Just one for each game, no more. I'll probably quote them to reduce the size to a certain standard size...could it work, right?

I thknk we could use this thread to list everything here, and I'll create the OP later in the week

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
first, thanks. second, sorry: busy time at work!
I'm actually planning to create a new thread with streamlined OP (the actual one is quite a mess to be updated), with just the "New releases" or "Released" or "Incoming" or "Pending" banners, bolded titles with crucial info and a link.

If someone has the will to help me out, would be great. the most important things would be to post screens with a given format for the games. Just one for each game, no more. I'll probably quote them to reduce the size to a certain standard size...could it work, right?

I thknk we could use this thread to list everything here, and I'll create the OP later in the week

Ah ok, that sounds good.

Let me give a shot at a possible format. I'm not sure how to actually format the information in a post though (is there a way to do tables on gaf message boards?).

vaVBJM7.jpg

Code:
[B]Summary:[/B]
Dr. Luigi is the newest game in the Dr. Mario series. As shown by the title, this time the starring character however is Luigi. The game consists of several traditional Dr. Mario modes, 
including online multiplayer like was present in the WiiWare title Dr. Mario RX. The new mode in this game consists of placing L-shaped groups of pills into the right location.

[B]Info:[/B]
Developer: Arika
Date: 31 Dec 2013 (US), 15 Jan 2014 (EU)
Price: 14.99 USD, 14.99 €
Genre: Puzzle
Players: 1-2
Trailer: http://youtu.be/knZFneOkUqY
Off-TV Play: Yes
Only on Wii U

Oregano

You think? I'm reluctant on making Wii U threads as they turn quite fast into shit. But feel free to make it if you want.

I imagine it will but it is definitely valuable info considering the amount of devs on gaf interested in Wii U development.

Edit: Currently on my tablet so it will be hard to make a thread but if no one beats me to it I will do it.

LOCK

Speaking of Unepic, that game is awesome, it is an RPG metroidvania. Plus it is quirky with it's humor. Best DL game I've got in a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom