• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U eShop Launch List: 23 digital titles/pricing (retail & indie)

Fox Mulder

Are they going to be rereleasing the VC stuff as they add support for the WiiU pad? I'd love to buy some old nes games and stuff, but not if I have to play in wii mode with wiimotes.

KU_

Glad to hear so many are available. I'm literally running out of room to put my games cases. I think I'll get ZombiU and ACIII via eShop.

tha_devil

Why the hell would you buy a game via e-shop if its the same price. Nintendo saves so much money, no margin my the shop, the distributor, printing cost etc.

Also as a buyer you dont have any resale value.

luffeN

I want the EU pricing, we usually get shafted here on Digital titles.

On PSN for example, a new release is €69.99, where a retail copy can be got for €49.99 locally, and online for about €44.99.

We will also have to wait till launch day :( Question is: If the digital games cost as much as the ones at Gamestop for example, wouldnt it be better to buy them at GS? Because you will get more money back if you sell them at GS.

Edit: I like my avatar :(

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
No they aren't.

I think home console to home console is a more apt comparison. It doesn't matter, though. With the premium discount, the prices are right in-line with PSN pricing on Vita titles.

Right, although I think an upfront discount (rather than 'points back') is better.

If Nintendo wanted to lead on digital, universal day-and-date + discounts for all on their own titles at least would have been the starting point. The Vita model isn't perfect but it is the standard bearer for now among the non-PC platform holders.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Why the hell would you buy a game via e-shop if its the same price. Nintendo saves so much money, no margin my the shop, the distributor, printing cost etc.

While I agree they should pass on some of the discount, benefits of digital on the Wii U are the 10% back in points if you bought the Deluxe set and less space in our rather small apartment taken up by more disc cases. Trade-in deals have been really good in my area for a while, so buying retail is still 'better', but they seem to be cracking down on their trade-in list recently.. so buying digital might not be so bad.

Fox Mulder

I will only buy digital games if they are cheap enough, but there are some benefits. You get the discount with the deluxe edition, and you also probably won't pay sales tax. Paying $60 for a game plus a discount back isn't awful.

I still prefer to have a thing on a shelf that I could sell if I ever chose to do so.

deleted

What's on the 'Charts' tab?

Almost forgot, that I have the 10% "discount", when I get one in two weeks. Hopefully the EU prices are fair and not expensive jokes.

KU_

Because I get 10% back, I don't have to take up anymore room in my apartment with games, and I never have to leave the house.

Given the choice though, I'd always prefer physical copies.

The really stupid thing about the Deluxe bonus system: you get 10% back in points, and NOT rounded up to the nearest point. Nintendo's own example is a $49.99 game gives you 499 points. And then, you can convert any 500 points into $5 off any purchase - no other amounts. So, buy a $49.99 game, you don't have enough points to get a discount. Then buy a $59.99 game, you have 998 points - enough for $5 off with 498 points remaining. Good luck ever using all of your points.

The really stupid thing about the Deluxe bonus system: you get 10% back in points, and NOT rounded up to the nearest point. Nintendo's own example is a $49.99 game gives you 499 points. And then, you can convert any 500 points into $5 off any purchase - no other amounts. So, buy a $49.99 game, you don't have enough points to get a discount. Then buy a $59.99 game, you have 998 points - enough for $5 off with 498 points remaining. Good luck ever using all of your points.

That's the genius.

deleted

Would not count on that. I'd expect 60 Euro games.

For a worst case scenario that's still on my 'eh.. ok' side, since I'll get 6 EUR on the games back. I don't expect digital codes in stores day one and especially none on sale, so I'll take that option for Sonic Transformed and NSMBU and come out with about 10 EUR in December when the payback system goes live.

BUT it sure would be nice to see something comparable to steam with daily deals or weekly deals going on since the publishers can set their own prices.

Tenck

Disappointed that we didn't get this list earlier because I bought a physical copy of AC3 and I'd have liked digital. Wasn't expecting this many digital titles at launch from third parties. Oh well, at least it's a good sign of things to come.

There was a thread a while ago talking about digital titles. AC3 was on that list.

AntMurda

Has anyone purchased an e-shop full game yet? I am wondering how the manuals work. Is it an exact digital replica of the retail disc version?

Also should i get the Nano Neo Assault game for Wii U?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
For a worst case scenario that's still on my 'eh.. ok' side, since I'll get 6 EUR on the games back. I don't expect digital codes in stores day one and especially none on sale, so I'll take that option for Sonic Transformed and NSMBU and come out with about 10 EUR in December when the payback system goes live.

BUT it sure would be nice to see something comparable to steam with daily deals or weekly deals going on since the publishers can set their own prices.

The publishers set their own prices on PSN, and there NFS:MW is £60.

Drago

What really strikes me as odd is that Batman is missing, yet all of WBs other WiiU games are up for download. And no Namco support at all, despite them putting their titles up on the JP store. And Mass Effect missing when Madden and FIFA are there... I don't get it.

Still, I'm impressed they have as may as they do up there day 1. Very nice for anyone going digital, and I hope Nintendo keeps up.

Downhome

If you want to buy, say, Mario U, do you technically have to allot for spending like $70 or can you just pay for games at the price they are listed?

Kamille

Is there a way to find out the file sizes of eShop games? Thinking about selling my copy of Nintendoland once I get it today then buying it digitally.

beje

Banned
Is there a way to find out the file sizes of eShop games? Thinking about selling my copy of Nintendoland once I get it today then buying it digitally.

If we go by the surprise ND video with the pebbles thing to explain storage, it was around 4GB if I'm not mistaken. NSMBU was 2.5GB.

Linked to account but tethered to the hardware with authorization copy protection, as I understand it. Basically, until Nintendo is told otherwise, your account purchases can't go anywhere else but that device. This also applies to content on external HDDs.

In the event that your Wii U breaks, you'd call Nintendo and they'd de-authorize that device for all your purchases.

Well, that's that then. Not buying anything digitally from Nintendo again.

gatti-man

While I agree they should pass on some of the discount, benefits of digital on the Wii U are the 10% back in points if you bought the Deluxe set and less space in our rather small apartment taken up by more disc cases. Trade-in deals have been really good in my area for a while, so buying retail is still 'better', but they seem to be cracking down on their trade-in list recently.. so buying digital might not be so bad.

If you have a deluxe. So at best 50% of users get a measly 10% off. 10% IMO is nothing.

Pretty much this. I sure wont be spending anything above $15 for this retail in digital clothing eshop.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

You got the math wrong there.
49.99 -> 499
59.99 -> 599
Total: 1098

TriGen

Yeah, I'm gonna hold off on retail games. eShop indie exclusives that I want I'll get (like Little Inferno), but something like NSMBU, I'll grab the retail copy instead.

seady

Pretty impressive for Day 1. Many retail and some attractive 'indie' games.

Not sure they should be called 'indie' though. What if it is a small digital game published by EA?

Top Bottom