• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U gamepad takes 2.5 hours to charge, works 3-5hours

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The wireless protocol they are using must eat battery like crazy :\ No other reason I can think for that, other than a small battery, but I would assume Nintendo is not doing that.

AndTAR

I was thinking it was to keep the price of the thing down.

I'm sure costs played their part, as they always do. I just can't imagine that a battery cell, with the technology apparently evolving so slowly, would contribute significantly the the bill of materials, considering the thing is already stuffed with LCDs, image processors, Wi-Fi connections, and so on.

Grinchy

Banned
exactly. I haven't played a game for that long in one sitting for years.

It's still kind of a pain to have to remember to put your controller in its charger after every single time you play to avoid running the risk of it dying during the next play session.

If the system is close enough to a person's seat to leave it plugged in while playing, I suppose it's not a big deal though.

Hazanko

Banned
I always forget to charge shit, so this sucks for me. Might get a PC. It's been a while since I stopped using consoles but this E3..... shakes fist!

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Nyko? Anybody say Nyko yet?

muu

LOL at you guys who play a system for over 5 hours per sitting without charging. This is only a problem for a handheld. How can you care about this news.

When CoD4 came out the revitalized interest in FPS's had me doing marathon sessions and tactically reloading batteries. Doubt I'll get back to that kind of a binge again, and even if I did, I'd take 10 seconds to pull the charger cable over.

Thraktor

I don't see why people were expecting more than 3-5 hours in the first place. Lithium ion batteries are expensive, and a device which is constantly streaming video and displaying it on a bright 6.5" screen is going to need quite a lot of power. Just leave it on the charging cradle whenever you're not using it.

?

What kind of question is that? I sure do. What's so LOL about that.

Do you realize how long 5 hours is? How do you do it? How old are you?

And why do you need to be completely wireless the entire time you play a game?

Anyone can answer these questions.

I'm not saying its ridiculous that such a thing can happen if you're really into a game, but the anger in this thread seems like a joke.

Veal

Things I can always count on GAF for:

1.) Extreme pessimism about EVERYTHING.

2.) Knee jerk reactions about things they don't fully understand.

3.) No real knowledge about how things really work.
This is non-news. It's not like you're going to be caught out in the wild with one of these or something.

Moze

Banned
i actually think this is a massive deal. i usually play games for about 3 hours a day...i dont want to constantly be charging a controller up everytime iv done playing

just isnt acceptable for me. i want 10 hour minimum

The USB port at the top of the controlpad will most likely accept anything plugged into a usb to charge it, if you are going to sit there and play for more then 5 hours you should expect to plug it in anyway.

I will probably use it wired most of the time anyway

Hopefully the cable is a simple USB so we can get a very long one

Looking at the engadget pics of the controller, it seems to use a 3DS port for the charger (top left side, next to L and the headphone port). So if that stays the same, you should be able to use any existing 3DS-DSi compatible charger...(assuming they have the same wattage output)

This is non-news. It's not like you're going to be caught out in the wild with one of these or something.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

Yep, the streaming thread is proof of that, so many people trolling about 15fps games, the system's power, posting pictures of less than pretty games, or whatever other shit have absolutely nothing to do with the actual thread...

thomaser

i actually think this is a massive deal. i usually play games for about 3 hours a day...i dont want to constantly be charging a controller up everytime iv done playing

What do you think charging the controller entails? Running in a huge hamster wheel? You sound like it's going to require hard work.

You aren't going to be playing a iPad game for 10 hours either, if it has wifi on all the time.

That's just the way it is.

The pad isn't playing anything, and I can absolutely get 10 hours out of my ipad either browsing or watching videos. If they couldn't manage better battery life than this then they should have scrapped the entire concept.

Cartman86

Banned
Anyone know the wireless standard for the video streaming yet? Could it really be wi-fi? Isn't there too much lag with that? Granted my experience comes from Remote Play on the PS3 and wifi remote apps on phones.

Curufinwe

4.) Defense forces for anything and everything.

And? Do you know how many other people do? It doesn't even matter.

Say you play for 2 hours one day. Two days later you play another 2 hours. Welp, almost time to charge again.

Fuck that.

leroidys

That sucks, but unlike the 3DS, I wont be travelling with the wii u tablet.

If I'm going to play for 5 hours (very unlikely), then I'll play it on lowest brightness.

If I'm going to play for LONGER than 5 hours, I'll just have to plug it in, but can keep playing.

What's going to happen 90% of the time is that I'll play for 3 hours or less, then just put it in the cradle. Battery life shouldn't really be an issue... It's not ideal but are you guys really planning on playing for more than 5 hours every time you turn on your wii u, with less than a 3 hour break in between?

JABEE

I'm foresee WiiU fans chastising people for playing longer than this thing can hold a charge
Nintendo cares about you getting up and moving around. It's for your own good. It's the entire concept of the machine. Genius, I tell you! Pure Genius!

Marvie_3

Banned
What do you think charging the controller entails? Running in a huge hamster wheel? You sound like it's going to require hard work.

:lol Exactly. How fucking hard is it to set the gamepad down and plug the charger in?

3-5 hours is good enough for me.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
3-5 hours is crazy. You can get away with it for a handheld but not a console.

You need a good 8-10 hours.

Isn't the opposite true? You can easily charge at home. You don't have that option when you are out and about.

Guys come on, don't worry. I mean, it's all going to be minigames anyway so not like any of us is going to be having play sessions of more than one hour.

Right guys? Right?

):

Anyone know the wireless standard for the video streaming yet? Could it really be wi-fi? Isn't there too much lag with that? Granted my experience comes from Remote Play on the PS3 and wifi remote apps on phones.

Probably controls are done via bluetooth (as with Wii) while video is done via wifi, unless BT4 has sufficient bandwidth (doubtful)

It is news because this is the first console where (due to the likely high cost of a 2nd controller) I'll have to actually remember to charge a controller when I'm done playing. I keep a spare PS3 controller connected at all times so I can swap out and the Wii/360 controllers use rechargeable batteries.

JABEE

When this controller is the MAIN controller packed in with the system, and the controller is the main focus of the new console, why the hell would it only get 3-5 hours of battery life? Do you really think people should have to recharge their controller every time they use it? Let's look at the bottom end of the projections. 3 hours is a joke for the battery life of the main controller of a dedicated gaming home console.

The Boat

I can't possibly think of a scenario where this could affect me. I mean, I'd have to play 3-5 hours without interruption with an uncharged controller and without the possibility to plug it in as a last resort.

Top Bottom