• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U gamepad takes 2.5 hours to charge, works 3-5hours

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
is anyone defending this?

is anyone defending this at all?!

Sure

-This wasn't meant to be portable anyways
-If you're playing longer than it holds a charge you need a girlfriend
-You can probably keep it connected anyways
-Doesn't the iPad only last this long when playing games?!
-Nintendo wouldn't do us like this dawg, it can't be real
-I'll attach a 5lb Nyko battery with optional fan cooler, that'll fix this

Raistlin

Oh my god, you can you know, just plug it in? I doubt wireless is going to be that huge for most people who will just be sitting next to their TV anyway?
Many peoples' setups would not allow this. When you have a large screen, AV cabinet, and a couch in a room that isn't a postage stamp ... just ain't gonna work.

lol poor people

JABEE

If it's that big of a deal, then don't. I simply don't understand the outrage. 3ds only last 3-5 hours and it's a handheld yet it gets a shit ton of love on gaf.

In spite of its battery life. People have a legitimate reason to be annoyed that the main controller for Wii is hampered by battery life. The main focus of the console is the WiiU Pad. Nintendo's first party teams will make games with that in mind. The fact that a home console controller has terrible battery life because of an unnecessary controller function (the Wii U Screen) is a legitimate complaint that has nothing to do with 3DS battery life. This is an example of how a screen on a console can be a big flaw for a home console. Compare it to the other systems on the market and it is a big disadvantage.

remnant

Banned
My iPad, which does all of the processing inside of the device, lasts 10 hours.

Wtf, Nintendo?
Your Ipad costs 500-700 bucks and more than half went to paying off the battery which fueled the screen.

Everyone brings up Ipad like they are cheap

Every other system has wireless controllers. What's the point of having the tablet if it is a gimped controller with big disadvantages to the other controller options. The Wii u being the controller that is the target for development is bothersome. Microsoft's approach seems to be better, even though I've yet to see either come up with a good reason for the tablet to be there.

Sorry, but what does that have to do with what I said? I prefer a wire on my controls. My ps3 and 360 controllers are wired. This does not bother me but I can see why it would others.

MormaPope

Banned
Usual launch problems for consoles consist of pricing, availability, and launch titles. The launch problems for Wii-U consist of those three and more. The whole pad concept is already being thrown under a bus, whats stopping Sony from releasing a pad for PS4?

If the big 3 all have pad support, and since Wii-U is looking like the weakest next gen console spec wise, why would someone choose to use the Wii-U if any third party developer could just as easily implement similar elements into Sony's or Microsoft's pad? Not to mention the extra graphical and performance power that the next Xbox and PS4 could have over Wii-U.

Once again, Nintendo's first party games will have to bear the burden of rushed and unproven tech and hopefully carry the system.

MoogPaul

Are you people fucking serious? 3 to 5 hours isn't enough for a session? Go outside. Meet a mate. The sun only hurts for like 5 minutes tops.

Seik

Banned
Wow, c'mon guys, its a fucking controller for a home console, not a handheld.

I mean, most of the time, in my case, it'll stay plugged all the time.

Those not happy can have the pro controller, I mean...everybody can have what they want based on their gaming style, I don't undestand this tsunami of anger.

KillGore

Sorry, but what does that have to do with what I said? I prefer a wire on my controls. My ps3 and 360 controllers are wired. This does not bother me but I can see why it would others.

The majority of people moved away from wired, face it, wireless is the future (in fact, it's the present)

this sommbitch better come with a 20 ft USB cable, because it's going to live on it. period.

Yep, they better include a long ass cable

JABEE

Are you people fucking serious? 3 to 5 hours isn't enough for a session? Go outside. Meet a mate. The sun only hurts for like 5 minutes tops.

See, Nintendo cares about all its fans. They are only trying to make you a better person.

FatCat

As long as there is a solution for long play sessions (cord), I will be happy, and even then 5 hours seems fine.

Get rid of those wiimotes with batteries I say. Batteries need to leave the gamespace.

remnant

Banned
Same here, a week or two with regular play, now I'll need to charge it almost every day if I want to have a session? This isn't good at all.
So you just leave your PS3 controllers out unplugged for 6 days a week?

Oh you poor baby. The 2 seconds you have to take out to make sure it's plugged in while you are at work/school is to much. Plugging it in before you rest at night is so hard.

This is irrational. It has to be fanboyism.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
They made me a better person by helping me save money by not needing to give them money for a console since the GC/DS.

All that money could be used towards finding a mate. Nintendo all about finding life partners. Saving you time and money!

So you just leave your PS3 controllers out unplugged for 6 days a week?

I do leave my PS3 controller unplugged until it damn near goes dead. And what about the one night I forget to plug my tablet in? My couch doesn't have a wall outlet right next to it. The nearest one is about 8 feet away. I don't want to have to drape a cable across the fucking floor so I can use my Wii U tablet.

All that money could be used towards finding a mate. Nintendo all about finding life partners. Saving you time and money!

But I already have a mate! Did I screw up based Nintendo's plan for me?

KillGore

First of all, stop trying to make the gap closer to higher numbers, it says 2.5-5 so expect a lot of people to get 2.5 hours which is worthless. Second of all although I do sometimes play games for 4 hours+ what really worries me is that I'll have to charge the controller every time I'm about to use it. Let's say you play 3 hours today, if you plan on playing tomorrow you better remember to charge it before actually playing it. Oh and I already have a mate, which she loves to play video games with, which means she'll be playing the Wii U as well (if I decide to buy it) and will drain the battery even more, without warning me. Imagine having kids, you'll need to charge the controller more than once a day

lucius

This would pretty much force me to use the Pro controller as main controller. I am not getting it at launch anyway after this terrible showing.

JABEE

Sure

-This wasn't meant to be portable anyways
-If you're playing longer than it holds a charge you need a girlfriend
-You can probably keep it connected anyways
-Doesn't the iPad only last this long when playing games?!
-Nintendo wouldn't do us like this dawg, it can't be real
-I'll attach a 5lb Nyko battery with optional fan cooler, that'll fix this

Its not good if you are looking at it as a tablet device you take on the go. The fact that the main controller that Nintendo is targeting for the Wii U will be hampered by the limitations of a mobile platform is awful in comparison to the competition. If they were focusing on the Pro controller I could understand passing the Wii U battery life as bad but no big deal, but this is supposed to be the controller to focus and develop for. If Nintendo games are limited by the battery life of the controller, then it's an indictment of tablet gaming on a console as Nintendo has implemented it, as a legitimate controller focus of a "next-generation" console.

remnant

Banned
I do leave my PS3 controller unplugged until it damn near goes dead. And what about the one night I forget to plug my tablet in? My couch doesn't have a wall outlet right next to it. The nearest one is about 8 feet away. I don't want to have to drape a cable across the fucking floor so I can use my Wii U tablet.

Then plug the tablet in to the console and play the game just like you would if you let your PS3 controller die.

This would pretty much force me to use the Pro controller as main controller. I am not getting it at launch anyway after this terrible showing.

It's Nintendo. I have not bought a first run console of theirs in a while. I'll wait for the Wii-U Plus and the 3DS Lite.

Then plug the tablet in to the console and play the game just like you would if you let your PS3 controller die.

My console is also about 10 feet from my couch. I don't live in a crackerjack box. And, like many can agree with, the DS3 will last damn near forever when it notifies you it needs to be charged. Even if it does die, I can fall back on the old Sixaxis I have in the closet. I'm not gonna have a stack of Wii-U tablets so I can keep playing.

KillGore

It's Nintendo. I have not bought a first run console of theirs in a while. I'll wait for the Wii-U Plus and the 3DS Lite.

I've always bought Nintendo consoles day one but for the first time I'll be waiting a few years

What I don't understand is: doesn't the Wii U tablet just stream video? meaning it doesn't waste any power trying to run the game, instead the console runs it and streams it, right? Shouldn't that HELP the battery life? People are comparing it to Vita and 3DS but these last two examples displays the game and is running it at the same time.

You call them rationalizations, but 3-5 hours is exactly what I predicted. Anyone who expected more just doesn't realize how much large LiIon batteries cost.
It's more about adding that people need to go outside and not play too long as a defense that was funny.

It's a tablet Display that requires a constantly on WiFi connection to use, so that number is not surprising. Hopefully there is a also a PS3-esque plugin cable option.

Is the Gamepad Wifi? I doubt it. I would suspect it uses its own radio signal, similiar to the Sonos home media center. In this way, the Wii U is not dependent on your local network conditions. So if Dad is downloading pr0n in the other room, sucking up all the bandwidth in the house, the Wii U is not affected.

Has this been clarified anywhere?

JABEE

Honest question, how long does a typical iPad or Android tablet last with Wi-fi on and display on and doing stuff?

I don't understand why that should be the standard for a home console main controller. The standard should be a PS3 controller and 360 controller. If the battery doesn't come close to a PS3, there better be big enough reasons for why something should be on the main controller. They should have went with the pro controller as the pack-in controller.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Imagine if the 360 controller or PS3 controller would last for just 3 hours. That would suck tremendously, and would be a major step back.

Now you understand why people are disliking this. Gaming on the couch with no wires attached has been the standard for 7 years now, "simply plug it in" doesn't cut it as an excuse.

It might not be the end of the world, but it sure isn't good news.

Is the Gamepad Wifi? I doubt it. I would suspect it uses its own radio signal, similiar to the Sonos home media center. In this way, the Wii U is not dependent on your local network conditions. So if Dad is downloading pr0n in the other room, sucking up all the bandwidth in the house, the Wii U is not affected.

Has this been clarified anywhere?

I clarified this above myself. The AC adapter plug looks to be a 3DS plug, so you can plug into a wall but not into the console. It's probably bluetooth for controls and wifi for the signal, although I guess some sort of custom signal is possible too.

remnant

Banned
My console is also about 10 feet from my couch. I don't live in a crackerjack box. And, like many can agree with, the DS3 will last damn near forever when it notifies you it needs to be charged. Even if it does die, I can fall back on the old Sixaxis I have in the closet. I'm not gonna have a stack of Wii-U tablets so I can keep playing.

How many excuses do you have? Would there be a reason why you couldn't use the pro controller?

If the ous is on you to charge your shit, becuase your console is 10 ft away and nary a wall outlet in sight, than charge the tablet beforehand. We've been charging stuff for close to 15 years. This isn't difficult.
What I don't understand is: doesn't the Wii U tablet just stream video? meaning it doesn't waste any power trying to run the game, instead the console runs it and streams it, right? Shouldn't that HELP the battery life? People are comparing it to Vita and 3DS but these last two examples displays the game and is running it at the same time.
It's irrelevant. The majority of portable power goes to the screen, not to processing anything.

Imagine if the 360 controller or PS3 controller would last for just 3 hours. That would suck tremendously, and would be a major step back.

Is the 3DS and Vita a major step back?

I don't think I would notice if my PS3 required a charge every 5 hours. i would get up, walk and plug it in.

Wow, that battery life sucks and I don't sit anywhere close enough to keep it plugged in.

Fortunately I don't play for extended gaming period over 5 hours that often.

Insaniac

Good god people. It's for a console. When are you ever going to be out of range of the damn charging cable. Just like all the 3ds bitching this won't matter a few months after release

seriously, if you guys are seriously going to play for more than 4 or 5 hours straight, maybe you should take up another hobby or something.

fallingdove

Sorry if already posted but what is this nonsense about frame rate drops if using two tablets at a time?

In a follow-up, Nintendo Japan has posted on Twitter that there's a price to pay if two Gamepads are active. Frame rates drop to about 30 fps if two are active; any games that really want that extra controller won't be quite as glass-smooth.

Is that 30fps on the tablet or on the TV?

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/05/nintendo-two-wii-u-gamepads-will-work-on-one-system/

Between battery life and this frames per second business, I think I am out.

Top Bottom