• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U gamepad takes 2.5 hours to charge, works 3-5hours

Solstice you should just buy another controller, one with a good battery life.
seriously, if you guys are seriously going to play for more than 4 or 5 hours straight, maybe you should take up another hobby or something.
If someone is enjoying a game that much to play 5 hours, they have the right hobby.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
3 to 5 hours, so I will have to recharge the thing after every gaming game session( or in the middle of it) :/

It was ok with the 3DS because it's handheld and you don't use it for a long time, but this is a console.

This news and Nintendo poor conference really unsold me on the Wii U.

How many excuses do you have? Would there be a reason why you couldn't use the pro controller?

If the ous is on you to charge your shit, becuase your console is 10 ft away and nary a wall outlet in sight, than charge the tablet beforehand. We've been charging stuff for close to 15 years. This isn't difficult.

I apologize that my home theater setup is getting in the way of Wii-U gaming! I would normally have no quarrels charging daily, but for big games (Zelda, Metroid, etc), I'll probably honestly want to play for longer than three hours. So I don't want to either have to:

A) Go out to my garage, get an extension cord, and drape it across the floor
B) Stop playing for 3 hours for the table to charge
C) Have another tablet on hand just in case

And don't give me any of that get a life bullshit. I work, go out with friends, etc. If I want to spend a day on the god damned couch playing Zelda, that's my own fucking business.

I don't mind that it's 3-5 hours of battery life, but 2.5 hours to fully charge? That's terrible.

One of my main problems right here. If I could charge the thing in 30 minutes, or have a hot swappable battery pack (Nintendo, include this shit in the box with the console and controller, seriously), I wouldn't have a problem. But 3 hours to charge? Giddafucouttahere

What I don't understand is: doesn't the Wii U tablet just stream video? meaning it doesn't waste any power trying to run the game, instead the console runs it and streams it, right? Shouldn't that HELP the battery life? People are comparing it to Vita and 3DS but these last two examples displays the game and is running it at the same time.

Wireless and Screen are usually the two biggest battery life killers in portable devices. The Gamepad has a bigger screen than either console and needs to transmit constantly (from the controls touch panel, scopes, camera, IR, etc, as needed) Will be interesting to see what capacity battery it uses, and whether it might be replaceable

fallingdove said:
Sorry if already posted but what is this nonsense about frame rate drops if using two tablets at a time?

Covered in another thread. Broadcasting to two displays simultaneously means double the bandwidth, so apparently something had to give

I hope it's not as short as the Apple cables.

I imagine it's as long as whatever came with the 3DS

If it has a long power cable, plug and play is the way to go.

If it has one of those short ass USB cords, that's no good.Either way, i hope it's not proprietary if it comes with a short cable, will just easily replace.

JABEE

seriously, if you guys are seriously going to play for more than 4 or 5 hours straight, maybe you should take up another hobby or something.

It is not competitive with the rest of the current generation console controllers in terms of battery life. It is a legitimate complaint to be annoyed at the fact that the screen "gimmick" has held back the Wii U. I've yet to see a good enough implementation of touch screen controls to justify the limitations that the WiiU's target first party controller has created.

Derrick01

Banned
Are you people fucking serious? 3 to 5 hours isn't enough for a session? Go outside. Meet a mate. The sun only hurts for like 5 minutes tops.

These kinds of comments are the worst. They're "lol no life nerds" comments but just phrased a little less offensively.

People do what they want with their time as they should. If I want to play for 8 hours straight, have the time to do it, and have a game good enough to let me do it then I will play for 8 hours straight.

JGS

Banned
I was planning on keeping it wired so not that big of a deal. Still, I don't think I've played a game for 3 hours straight anyway.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I apologize that my home theater setup is getting in the way of Wii-U gaming! I would normally have no quarrels charging daily, but for big games (Zelda, Metroid, etc), I'll probably honestly want to play for longer than three hours.
Thankfully it could last 5!

These kinds of comments are the worst. They're "lol no life nerds" comments but just phrased a little less offensively.

People do what they want with their time as they should. If I want to play for 8 hours straight, have the time to do it, and have a game good enough to let me do it then I will play for 8 hours straight.

Well said Derrick.

MormaPope

Banned

This.

It's really weird that people are almost boasting about how much they don't play games.

JGS

Banned
Why would going with the pro Controller only be the better option if you can have both and possibly use either. Buying a WiiU without the pad in contention makes little sense to me. It's the same thing as saying you don't want the WiiU.

Brickhunt

Normally I have no interest on creating threads, but this is a question that I wish a wasn't junior member anyore so I could make a thread, but did Nintendo convince anyone of Wii U Pad Control as a next-gen feature?

I'm was more impressed for it's feature as service (TV remote, browsing, texting) than as a game controller. I mean, I just saw inventory management and another perspective.

I think I would be far more excited if Arkham City could be played on Wimote and Nunchaku than what I've been show with the game pad. I do rather play Zombie U and Assassisn Creed with these cotnrolers than the U Pad

KillGore

I was planning on keeping it wired so not that big of a deal. Still, I don't think I've played a game for 3 hours straight anyway.

How can you play games like Elder Scrolls, Assassins Creed, Zelda, Final Fantasy, etc for just three hours? Well wait, I guess I do understand, some people don't have a lot of time to play games, but honestly 3 hours is very little for these large games I mentioned. 3 hours of racing games and fighting games is tiresome though (IMO), it depends on the genre. For me the controller's battery life is horrible for RPGs and other large games, but what bothers me is that even if all my games are fighting or racing games, I'll need to charge it basically every day.

remnant

Banned
I apologize that my home theater setup is getting in the way of Wii-U gaming! I would normally have no quarrels charging daily, but for big games (Zelda, Metroid, etc), I'll probably honestly want to play for longer than three hours. So I don't want to either have to:

A) Go out to my garage, get an extension cord, and drape it across the floor
B) Stop playing for 3 hours for the table to charge
C) Have another tablet on hand just in case

Or

D) Grab a chair, Move closer to the T.V. and charge at the same time you play. Assuming you have to do any of that mind you. i doubt Nintendo will be selling a foot log cable.

Heh, I guess Apple has a lock on battery tech for the ipad. Either that or its too costly to use. Guess this is just another reason for me to pass for at least a few years

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Here's something I'm wondering. Can you really play ALL the games just on the controller screen? That's what intrigued me most, but I got the feeling that it's just for some games like NSMB.

clav

Are the batteries user replaceable or did Nintendo copy Sony's PS3 controller design?

It won't matter if I'm not forced to use the charging cradle.

Otherwise, gg controller.

Or

D) Grab a chair, Move closer to the T.V. and charge at the same time you play. Assuming you have to do any of that mind you. i doubt Nintendo will be selling a foot log cable.

You're right. I should just go buy another piece of furniture or sit in some plastic lawn chair just so my Wii-U cable can reach the console.

Plus, what about the fact that cheaper Li-Ion batteries can hold less of a charge over time. I know the Li-Ion in my cell phone won't hold near the charge as when I first got it. Hopefully Nintendo doesn't cheap out any more on the quality of the battery in the tablet. Imagine having the battery life degrade to two hours after a year of use.

Are the batteries user replaceable or did Nintendo copy Sony's PS3 controller design?

I believe they're internal. Which is why Nintendo should rethink the design, using an external battery pack and include another one (with a charging dock) in the box. That way you can just swap and go.

prwxv3

It won't matter if I'm not forced to use the charging cradle.

Otherwise, gg controller.

This reminds me it would be fucking hilarious if the batter is not replaceable and a tech site says that you have to throw away the WiiU controller when the charge runs out.

remnant

Banned
"lol get a life, nerd"

Are people really using this as a defense for these atrocious numbers?

They are only atrocious if you honestly believe people play games for 5 hours straight every time, and would never get up to charge the thing for even a piss break.

I don't believe that. I don't believe people are that incompetent.

You're right. I should just go buy another piece of furniture or sit in some plastic lawn chair just so my Wii-U cable can reach the console.
Not my problem if you're so cheap you are buying lawn chairs for the living room but yeah i still can't see why you can't charge and play at the same time.

Jarmel

Banned

Yea this is getting ridiculous in regards to the defense of some of the U's faults.

They are only atrocious if you honestly believe people play games for 5 years hour straight every time, and would never get up to charge the thing for even a piss break.

Not my problem if you're so cheap you are buying lawn chairs for the living room but yeah i still can't see why you can't charge and play at the same time.

How would charging for two minutes to take a piss break help? That would get you basically no extra time. Also, how can you not see how I can't charge and play? I don't want to run a damn extension cord eight feet across the floor and have a cable plugged into the tablet while I'm gaming. The console is ten feet away also, so unless Nintendo gives me an extra long cable (lol gamecube), I'm shit out of luck.

Unless your suggestion is that I go to Ethan Allen and buy a fucking recliner or something so I can keep playing. Yep, I should totally do that.

JGS

Banned
How can you play games like Elder Scrolls, Assassins Creed, Zelda, Final Fantasy, etc for just three hours? Well wait, I guess I do understand, some people don't have a lot of time to play games, but honestly 3 hours is very little for these large games I mentioned. 3 hours of racing games and fighting games is tiresome though (IMO), it depends on the genre. For me the controller's battery life is horrible for RPGs and other large games, but what bothers me is that even if all my games are fighting or racing games, I'll need to charge it basically every day.
I'm definitely not a typical player but i assumed that since there was a display and it was wireless, it would have a short battery life or else they would have used the tech in the 3DS too.

Wireless itself is not a selling point for me on a console. I handle the controllers exactly the same way whether they are wired or not provided the cables are long enough, so the plan is just to assume it's wired with the occasional wireless option when needed.

I charge all my stuff daily so it's a part of the routine from my iPhone which stays plugged in whenever I'm not moving to my Kindle to my DS.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
They are only atrocious if you honestly believe people play games for 5 hours straight every time, and would never get up to charge the thing for even a piss break.

Do you take 3 hour piss breaks? How about even 1 hour piss breaks? The average piss break wouldn't even put a dent in the charge time of this thing.

Also sitting closer to the TV so you can charge the thing sounds like the opposite of what you should do. 'Dat nearsightedness.

KillGore

I wasn't aware people took 2.5 hours to take a piss

The conference was dissapointing, but what the fuck people?
Why the fuck do you need more than 3 hours for the pad if its going to stay inside the fucking house. Jesus christ guys.

Do you take shits in the bathroom that take 5 hours!?

I know people say you want to play in the bedroom, but you could always charge it to the wall, asi I suppose using usb there will be a charge.

elcranky

Banned
LOL, who approved this turkey? Who ever came up with the concept deserves a promotion, because conceptually the controller is awesome. However, the person or committee that allowed this product to come to market with so many incredible flaws should be fired. No OLED, no multitouch, lowish resolution, minimal time to recharge that is 30% of something that is acceptable.

It is a simple rule, if you can't make the specs work within your budget you are typically much better off going with another product.

MormaPope

Banned
They are only atrocious if you honestly believe people play games for 5 years hour straight every time, and would never get up to charge the thing for even a piss break.

Fine, lets say you play the Wii-U one night for two and half hours total. So you start playing at 6PM, you play for an hour, turn off the console and do other things. You boot up the Wii-U at 8:30PM and play for another hour.

Uh-oh, at 9:30PM you notice that the battery is low, it'll last for another 2 hours if the screen brightness is low, probably 30 minutes or an hour if it's any higher.

The problem isn't people playing shit they bought for too long in a sitting, it's that the battery life simply is atrocious for a home console. Even if you still charge and play it at the same time, that doesn't excuse that flaw.

KillGore

The conference was dissapointing, but what the fuck people?
Why the fuck do you need more than 3 hours for the pad if its going to stay inside the fucking house. Jesus christ guys.

Do you take shits in the bathroom that take 5 hours!?

If I did I would be happy with this news because it means I could charge the Wii U pad after playing 2.5 hours of a game.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
I don't play more than 3 hours these days and I assume it uses mini USB wires and I got plenty of long ones. It's not really a game breaker for me but I wish it had a longer battery life.

I guess I could charge it while using Netflix since that's what I do with my PS3 controllers.

remnant

Banned
I wasn't aware people took 2.5 hours to take a piss

That's not how long it takes for the tablet to charge. Just to charge to full. Like everything is it charges over time.

How would charging for two minutes to take a piss break help? That would get you basically no extra time. Also, how can you not see how I can't charge and play? I don't want to run a damn extension cord eight feet across the floor and have a cable plugged into the tablet while I'm gaming. The console is ten feet away also, so unless Nintendo gives me an extra long cable (lol gamecube), I'm shit out of luck.

Unless your suggestion is that I go to Ethan Allen and buy a fucking recliner or something so I can keep playing. Yep, I should totally do that.

10 ft long cords are not expensive. They are like 3 bucks. If your console is 10 ft away just buy a cord. Not very different from a PS3.

Still doesn't change the fact that I'm going to have to run the cord across the floor. I'll stick with the pro controller.

no different from a PS3 which your cool with.

And they're even cheaper than i thought.

Top Bottom