• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U gamepad takes 2.5 hours to charge, works 3-5hours

I suppose you can also use it with the cable hooked to the console,so for a stationary console that should be fine, and since the controller weights a whopping 500g I can't see myself playing longer than that anyway.

Alex

Four hours for a controllers battery life, which is ten times lower than the current average is pretty sad. Especially when all it's doing is fueling NFC streaming to a very low resolution display and has no real guts of consequence. I figured it'd be around ten, considering an iPad can do around that with internet and video streaming all while handling the download, processing, decoding, etc itself (as opposed to the console) on much more powerful hardware and a gargantuan screen.

I didn't figure it'd be much, if any more, since they have to keep the hardware price down on the tablets, but 3-5 hours? Come on. I don't even marathon things anymore, Diablo III is like the first time in ages I actually put a lot of time into one game in single sessions and even I don't find that acceptable.

Having to get up and plug in a controller every single session is just weak and I have to say though it takes some serious fanthing tendancies to outright lash out at people for not being ok with a 3-4 hour battery life on a controller. If you're fine with it, cool, whatever, some people aren't.

remnant

Banned
Because you're meant to be able to take the gamepad anywhere and continue with the game you were playing. Not-so-portable now.
No your not. You cant take it out of the room. Its not a 3DS.

The charger ie always close by. Just charge it when your done.

Ultima_5

Good god people. It's for a console. When are you ever going to be out of range of the damn charging cable. Just like all the 3ds bitching this won't matter a few months after release

One thing I love about the 360 controller is it takes AA batteries, so I never have to charge the damn thing. I've got a drawer full of them ready and waiting :)

Onemic

They better make the wire for charging the tablet really long or else this will be one huge fail after another for Nintendo.

Thraktor

Four hours for a controllers battery life, which is ten times lower than the current average is pretty sad. Especially when all it's doing is fueling NFC streaming to a very low resolution display and has no real guts of consequence. I figured it'd be around ten, considering an iPad can do around that with internet and video streaming all while handling the download, processing, decoding, etc itself on much more powerful hardware and a gargantuan screen.

I didn't figure it'd be much, if any more, since they have to keep the hardware price down on the tablets, but 3-5 hours? Come on. I don't even marathon things anymore, Diablo III is like the first time in ages I actually put a lot of time into one game and even I don't find that acceptable.

Having to get up and plug in a controller every single session is just weak and I have to say though it takes some serious fanthing tendancies to outright lash out at people for not being ok with a 3-4 hour battery life on a controller. If you're fine with it, cool, whatever, some people aren't.

An iPad costs $500 (at a minimum), and a good chunk of the cost of building them is the battery. There's no way that Nintendo could put such a large battery in a controller when the entire console & controller package will cost significantly less than an iPad.

KillGore

This is pretty bad

To the people saying "Use pro controller", the point of the console is the wii u pad, that's what makes it different from the other two companies, I don't want to be focusing on having a 360-like controller next to me just in case the battery dies

Hazanko

Banned
Good god people. It's for a console. When are you ever going to be out of range of the damn charging cable. Just like all the 3ds bitching this won't matter a few months after release

I don't like wires, don't think many other people do either so it is a problem.

JABEE

Not that big a deal, all my controllers are wired all the time.

Every other system has wireless controllers. What's the point of having the tablet if it is a gimped controller with big disadvantages to the other controller options. The Wii u being the controller that is the target for development is bothersome. Microsoft's approach seems to be better, even though I've yet to see either come up with a good reason for the tablet to be there.

entremet

Damn. You guys really have long gaming sessions. Battery life does suck, but I rarely do more than 2 hour sessions these days.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Damn. You guys really have long gaming sessions. Battery life does suck, but I rarely do more than 2 hour sessions these days.

I would just hate to charge it after every session. I mean I don't even charge my iPad after every use.

I like to be able to set a controller down and pick it up days later with no worries that it might be dead.

wsippel

Banned
Not unexpected, makes perfect sense. And I don't see the problem either. It's not like you'll run out of power in the middle of nowhere - it's not a stand alone tablet after all.

Ultima_5

I would just hate to charge it after every session. I mean I don't even charge my iPad after every use.

Why do people keep comparing the ipad with the controller? One is a stand alone unit, the other is a controller for a system. Not to mention the fact the wii u will most likely be cheaper. Why do people expect the same specs?

bengraven

Not unexpected, makes perfect sense. And I don't see the problem either. It's not like you'll run out of power in the middle of nowhere - it's not a stand alone tablet after all.

itodA6zv0z4Q6.gif

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Already excepted the Gamepad to not last long hours on battery. Not really disappointed.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
My iPad, which does all of the processing inside of the device, lasts 10 hours.

Wtf, Nintendo?

Randdalf

Oh my god, you can you know, just plug it in? I doubt wireless is going to be that huge for most people who will just be sitting next to their TV anyway?

dwu8991

Banned
No your not. You cant take it out of the room. Its not a 3DS.

The charger ie always close by. Just charge it when your done.

yeah, it's a home portable !

just leave it in the charging cradle overnight when you go to sleep

sheesh

how hard could that be

Agentnibs

Doesn't really bug me. I've been playing 360 wired for almost two years now (Mostly because my battery burned out..) So I've gotten accustomed to playing wired. So long is the wire is as long as the 360 charging cable ill be fine

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
If it's that big of a deal, then don't. I simply don't understand the outrage. 3ds only last 3-5 hours and it's a handheld yet it gets a shit ton of love on gaf.

ThisNeoGafDude.gif

Seeing as how the WiiU Gamepad is not meant to be portable, I don't see the problem with the battery life.

shaowebb

It has an ac adaptor and can be played while wired. Not a big deal considering how often my 360 and other pads die due to just plain forgetting to charge sometimes. Non issue.

Randdalf

3DS lasts 3-5 hours on full brightness, and full 3D. I've had it last twice as long on brightness 3, power saving and no 3D.

KillGore

My TV and consoles are like 12 feet away, if Nintendo gives me a 10-12 foot cable then I would feel slightly better

My iPad, which does all of the processing inside of the device, lasts 10 hours.

Your iPad is a $500+ device with a laptop grade battery. And it's battery life tanks with constant wifi usage.

The Wii U Gamepad is likely to be basically a $100 device with a portable console grade battery that can only function when constantly communicating via wifi (and probably bluetooth).

I have no doubt that Nintendo shortchanged the battery capacity as they have with every other system they've made, but I also think it was pretty unlikely that they would ever consider putting in even half as big a battery as the earliest iPad had.

I think the more interesting thing is that, if the port stays the same, there's no wired route - you can plug the gamepad into the wall but you might be SOL in highly active wifi environments.

Top Bottom