• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

It's been way too long since we've gotten any Nintendo news... I think I'm going into Nintendo Direct withdrawal.

I will say this though. I'd rather have them wait longer and put out a legitimately exciting Nintendo Direct than have an ND tomorrow that's 10 minutes of Fucking Cranky Kong, 10 minutes of talking about some random Mii Plaza feature, and 10 minutes of Pikmin 3 DLC.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
where's a damn nintendo direct?! it's been too long since i've seen any footage of X

I'd like to see one too since if the OP is any indication I'll only have 6 games for my Wii U. I already have SM3DW, The Wonderful 101, and WWHD so that would be half my small library I want to see this thing get more use than W101 replays.

Raitaro

I too made a tread about the game some time ago, because the game deserves the attention of actual racing fans (and not necessarily mascot fans).

Indeed you did blu, thank you! Your thread is exactly the one I posted my piece in, and also the one to which I linked in this thread ;-)

Not to derail this thread further, but I do have some questions about the game, mostly menu / option related ones. If you are willing, please look in your thread to see if you might have the answers.

Effect

We'll only get a Nintendo Direct if they have something to show. The only thing that's been on deck for months is Donkey Kong and now Bravely Default which is launching today. What are they going to talk about if they even do a Nintendo Direct at this point? More trailers with no launch dates? They can't show off third party titles outside of something like Sonic Boom which I'm sure Sega wants to handle themselves. If they haven't sold people on Tropical Freeze yet then they likely aren't going to I think. Only TV commercials would be worthwhile and that's not likely to happen unless it's a kids channel knowing Nintendo do.

Not surprised we haven't had one yet. Honestly I not even looking forward to one. The only game I really, really, really want is X. That's not coming anytime soon. Neither is Bayonetta 2 but that's more of a curiosity and is interest fueled by it being an exclusive.

DJIzana

I hope that if Bravely Default sells well enough in North America, that Nintendo would consider the rights to make a Wii U title. That or just outright buy Silicon Studios. That'd be amazing too. xD

AniHawk

We'll only get a Nintendo Direct if they have something to show. The only thing that's been on deck for months is Donkey Kong and now Bravely Default which is launching today. What are they going to talk about if they even do a Nintendo Direct at this point? More trailers with no launch dates? They can't show off third party titles outside of something like Sonic Boom which I'm sure Sega wants to handle themselves.

they do have two systems. i'm guessing they'd showcase yoshi, kirby, dkctf, and maybe some more far-off games like mario kart and perhaps bayonetta 2. there will probably be a focus on sonic boom for wii u and 3ds as well as some currently unknown localization announcements. maybe smt iv will get a release date in europe. maybe nintendo will announce fantasy life (considering they worked on it) and dqvii elsewhere.

all that plus eshop stuff. it's enough to fill up a half-hour, i'm sure. maybe they'll finally show more about the majora's mask project they've been teasing for over a year. we'll find out next week i guess.

maxcriden

they do have two systems. i'm guessing they'd showcase yoshi, kirby, dkctf, and maybe some more far-off games like mario kart and perhaps bayonetta 2. there will probably be a focus on sonic boom for wii u and 3ds as well as some currently unknown localization announcements. maybe smt iv will get a release date in europe. maybe nintendo will announce fantasy life (considering they worked on it) and dqvii elsewhere.

all that plus eshop stuff. it's enough to fill up a half-hour, i'm sure. maybe they'll finally show more about the majora's mask project they've been teasing for over a year. we'll find out next week i guess.

I think you are possibly right, but I would really hope to see a bigger blow-out direct like the ones we got in January and April last year at some point soon.

AniHawk

I think you are possibly right, but I would really hope to see a bigger blow-out direct like the ones we got in January and April last year at some point soon.

they might. they kinda spread out their e3 last year between the january direct, the alttp/yoshi's island/mario party direct, and the actual e3 direct, so they could be moving back to a more traditional model.

i think they'll have a full press conference at e3 this year, specifically because they're unveiling their qol platform.

maxcriden

they might. they kinda spread out their e3 last year between the january direct, the alttp/yoshi's island/mario party direct, and the actual e3 direct, so they could be moving back to a more traditional model.

i think they'll have a full press conference at e3 this year, specifically because they're unveiling their qol platform.

Ah yes, good point. I'd be cool with them going back to the E3 model, but we could really use some concrete Q1-2 dates first if so. I remember the days of eagerly waiting for E3 for all of the huge game news for the next 9 mos - 1 yr to hit at once.

jmizzal

I didnt get the indication that the QOL stuff would be at E3, but will be unveiled at another event. Where as they said the NFC stuff will be at E3 and Zelda WiiU will be at E3.

They know E3 is more for gaming and QOL tho it has some gaming stuff its not pure gaming.

Hiltz

As this rate, I don't expect we'll get a new Direct this month. Iwata already mentioned vague plans for Nintendo's Quality of Life platform/service, confirmed new NFC titles to be revealed at E3, no plan for another Wii U price cut, Wii U VC getting DS titles, future plans to use smartphones and mobile devices as marketing tool that use NNIDs, license their characters to new third party partners, acknowledging that Nintendo has to use the GamePad in more interesting ways for its 1st party titles, and Wii U getting a quick-start system update later this year.

We've seen enough footage of Donkey Kong Country and Bravely Default just came out. We also know that Yoshi's New Island is coming next month, but we haven't seen much footage of it. Sega just revealed its other Sonic project through some kind of partnership with Nintendo. Sega also said more info about it will be revealed prior to E3. Nintendo's revealed the release window schedule for more than a handful of indie titles, many of which will be out this quarter. Other indies confirmed their release dates including Aeternoblade being ready for Spring.

What else does Nintendo need to discuss right now? Besides, it's not like the big Direct from January 2013 actually helped Wii U sales that much! Nintendo can afford to wait another month to do a Direct when they've given us enough info and upcoming game releases to digest already.

As this rate, I don't expect we'll get a new Direct this month. Iwata already mentioned vague plans for Nintendo's Quality of Life platform/service, confirmed new NFC titles to be revealed at E3, no plan for another Wii U price cut, Wii U VC getting DS titles, future plans to use smartphones and mobile devices as marketing tool that use NNIDs, license their characters to new third party partners, acknowledging that Nintendo has to use the GamePad in more interesting ways for its 1st party titles, and Wii U getting a quick-start system update later this year.

We've seen enough footage of Donkey Kong Country and Bravely Default just came out. We also know that Yoshi's New Island is coming next month, but we haven't seen much footage of it. Sega just revealed its other Sonic project through some kind of partnership with Nintendo. Sega also said more info about it will be revealed prior to E3. Nintendo's revealed the release window schedule for more than a handful of indie titles, many of which will be out this quarter. Other indies confirmed their release dates including Aeternoblade being ready for Spring.

What else does Nintendo need to discuss right now?

Bayonetta 2 and whether Yarn Yoshi exists or not.

Plus, they need to ensure to us this time that the Battle Modes in Mario Kart will actually be good.

jmizzal

We've seen enough footage of Donkey Kong Country and Bravely Default just came out. We also know that Yoshi's New Island is coming next month, but we haven't seen much footage of it. Sega just revealed its other Sonic project through some kind of partnership with Nintendo. Sega also said more info about it will be revealed prior to E3. Lastly, Nintendo's revealed the release window schedule for more than a handful of indie titles, many of which will be out this quarter. Other indies confirmed their release dates including Aeternoblade being ready for Spring.

What else does Nintendo need to discuss right now?

The investor meeting stuff is for investors, most people not on this forum doesnt even pay attention to that stuff and have no clue about it. ND is for people who mostly own Nintendo systems and plan on buying, they even put them on the eshop too. They also can give updates on upcoming games like Mario Kart 8 new trailer with May date in it, Wii Sports Club baseball, Steel Diver Subwars, and I hop they have something else before E3 for WiiU. We havent gone 2 months with out a ND since they started doing ND's

Faustek

Perhaps OT as hell but hey maybe I'll get the answers here since searching for it gives me tons of non answers.

Did Iwata really say that we had to wait until next Nintendo Generation before they would be able to implement a account system??

Perhaps OT as hell but hey maybe I'll get the answers here since searching for it gives me tons of non answers.

Did Iwata really say that we had to wait until next Nintendo Generation before they would be able to implement a account system??

Not really, he was too vague about it to accurately ascertain what he said about it.

Hiltz

Bayonetta 2 and whether Yarn Yoshi exists or not.

Plus, they need to ensure to us this time that the Battle Modes in Mario Kart will actually be good.

I think Nintendo can wait another month or two before revealing that information. They obviously revealed Yoshi's Yarn prematurely to the point where it wasn't even ready to be shown off as a trailer 5 months later during E3 2013. Nintendo will likely give us up to a few Directs before E3 anyway when that information is more relevant because of the timing of the software releases. I get that people want to know more about Nintendo's full plans, but quit frankly, they've already revealed more than half of their plans for the entire year that we've known about for quite some time. Hell, we just got Hyrule Warriors announced last December along with a new Mario Kart 8 trailer. It's insatiable how hungry we are for news even when we just got fed a lot recently.

The investor meeting stuff is for investors, most people not on this forum doesnt even pay attention to that stuff and have no clue about it. ND is for people who mostly own Nintendo systems and plan on buying, they even put them on the eshop too.

Yes, but the point is Iwata already revealed a lot of interesting info that is still relevant to us as gamers. Just like with Nintendo Directs, Nintendo investor reports and Iwata's speeches get posted by gaming sites for us to look at.

-Setsuna-

I'm quite confused by the lack of ND devoted to DKTF. The game will be out next week (in Japan) and seems to be their only big title in Q1, but, apparently, they're not particularly concerned about it...

AniHawk

I'm quite confused by the lack of ND devoted to DKTF. The game will be out next week (in Japan) and seems to be their only big title in Q1, but, apparently, they're not particularly concerned about it...

expect a direct for next thursday when it launches in japan, then.

Zalman

I hope the lack of NDs means that they are saving the big announcements for E3 and that they will actually do a conference this time.

I hope the lack of NDs means that they are saving the big announcements for E3 and that they will actually do a conference this time.

Zelda is basically a given and probably the main reason they will do a stageshow this time around.

Bayonetta 2 at E3 would make sense too(even though I think it could be shown again before that) as it's not a sales-puncher but it makes grown men cry like no other.

Another look at X would be a good choice for E3 as well.

Then of course, something about Smash, maybe reveal Bayonetta as playable or something.

Perhaps also show what Miyamoto's been working on.

For such little amount of games, they sure have a lot they could show.

The others could be shown in Directs but the ones I mentioned seem good E3 candidates.

Zalman

Zelda is basically a given and probably the main reason they will do a stageshow this time around.

Bayonetta 2 at E3 would make sense too(even though I think it could be shown again before that) as it's not a sales-puncher but it makes grown men cry like no other.

Then of course, something about Smash, maybe reveal Bayonetta as playable or something.

The others could be shown in Directs but the ones I mentioned seem good E3 candidates.
I believe Mega Man in Smash could've been one of the best E3 reactions ever. Such a shame they decided to reveal that in a Direct.

I believe Mega Man in Smash could've been one of the best E3 reactions ever. Such a shame they decided to reveal that in a Direct.

Yeah, anything revealed in Smash seems to be the most talked about thing at E3 when it comes to Nintendo.

From the reactions of previous E3s, I'd say that Zelda and Smash get the most audible hoopla and then Metroid next.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???

Agreed!

Zelda, X + Super Smash (new trailer + release date) and Nintendo's new NFC game will be revealed at E3.

Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2 and Mario Kart 8 will most likely appear via a Nintendo Direct in late February or early March with release dates. I'm thinking the following:

Mario Kart - May
Bayonetta 2 - June
Hyrule Warriors - August

X, Super Smash and most likely Nintendo's NFC game will all be Winter releases.

It's a solid line-up from a first-party perspective and will most likely help Nintendo sell 4-5 million Wii U's for their next fiscal year.

-Setsuna-

expect a direct for next thursday when it launches in japan, then.
Correct me if I'm wrong, AniHawk, but Directs usually show up one to three weeks beforehand. At least, it was the case for TW101, MonHun 4, Tomodachi, Pikmin 3, Pokemon X/Y, etc.

I'll keep my fingers crossed, though, as DKTF (and Retro) undeniably deserves a dedicated Direct.

ozfunghi

Correct me if I'm wrong, AniHawk, but Directs usually show up one to three weeks beforehand. At least, it was the case for TW101, MonHun 4, Tomodachi, Pikmin 3, Pokemon X/Y, etc.

I'll keep my fingers crossed, though, as DKTF (and Retro) undeniably deserves a dedicated Direct.

Days or weeks?

I remember some directs being announced for a vague future date (which may have ended up being three weeks later as you say). But i also seem to recall some directs being announced out of the blue, two days prior.

rokero

I'm loosing hope for a Direct Sonic Boom was a good game to show in a direct also Moon and art of balnce HD if Nintendo were doing a Direct they would have saved those announcements for it

prag16

Banned
I'm loosing hope for a Direct Sonic Boom was a good game to show in a direct also Moon and art of balnce HD if Nintendo were doing a Direct they would have saved those announcements for it

Can't draw any conclusions from Moon and Art of Balance. Those wouldn't be centerpieces of directs. Sonic maybe, but can't completely rule anything out.

Heh, so much analysis and speculation on Nintendo Direct scheduling.

Neogaf.gif

jmizzal

They'd be stupid to.

The game is going to be meaningless in the overall scheme of things whether it's on Wii U or it isn't.

However, with that said, I hope it releases because some are interested in that version.

The game will prob out sale the Wonderful 101 and they paid for full development, it wouldnt cost much to pay to keep it on WiiU when there is very little 3rd party games coming

The game will prob out sale the Wonderful 101 and they paid for full development, it wouldnt cost much to pay to keep it on WiiU when there is very little 3rd party games coming

That game was a deal though, they did that willingly and had control.

Paying to keep Watch_Dogs wasn't part of any deal and the game is going to do nothing for the system so while Nintendo does weird things to say the least, I think it'd be a dumb idea.

Ubisoft should carry out what they said they'd do and release the game and then they can take their second step out the door when it sellls poorly.

Glass Joe

They'd be stupid to.

The game is going to be meaningless in the overall scheme of things whether it's on Wii U or it isn't.

However, with that said, I hope it releases because some are interested in that version.

They'd be stupid to? Well, that would depend how much Nintendo would have to pay. It's not like they'd have to pay as if it's a new exclusive starting from scratch, just whatever it takes to finish an almost complete port.

freakzilla3000

I really do hope Nintendo does a "traditional" E3 this year. I am sure they have some nice surprises for us and Zelda Wii U will no doubt hype the Wii U up. A MASSIVE reveal for Zelda, a date for Smash, a nice surprise and some good 3DS stuff would make for a great E3.

ozfunghi

They'd be stupid to.

At this point i'm wondering if any non-WiiU owners are actually still interested in the game, lol. Maybe Ubisoft should make it an exclusive ;)

Meesh

I really do hope Nintendo does a "traditional" E3 this year. I am sure they have some nice surprises for us and Zelda Wii U will no doubt hype the Wii U up. A MASSIVE reveal for Zelda, a date for Smash, a nice surprise and some good 3DS stuff would make for a great E3.
I pray to the three goddesses that the ZeldaU reveal/trailer will be every bit as epic if not more so, than TPs trailer was back in the day. Also some kind of Mon Hun 4 WiiU news would be epic...

jmizzal

Ok i'm not a Sonic fan at all but Sonic Boom looks lite years better then Sonic Lost World, and with it being made by the former Naughty Dog platformer makers I bet it will be a lot better

Top Bottom