• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U marketing materials starting to arrive at retail stores v2.0 (Read the OP)

I don't know what color I want...

I like the black system better and will look perfect in my black tv stand but I like the white controllers better and it's what I'll be seeing most of the time

Help me decide GAF
I am in the same boat. I want black more but every system I currently play on besides PSP Go is now black amd its starting to get repetetive.

Hhmm...

Cool marketing materials tho.

Huge props to EC for cutting through all the endlessly irritating static and giving us a good thread.

Probably getting black. White is kinda tempting but after over 5 years of gaming with a white Wii it's time for a change. Plus my GC was black so this would be a nice call back to that for me.

Do we know all of the Nintendo Land games? and if not do the promotional materials give any clues as to what gameplay these iterations will have?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
IMPORTANT: The behaviour exhibited in this thread became tiring and, quite frankly, fucking annoying far too long ago. Derailing every Wii U thread into a graphical pissing contest does not make for interesting discussion. Take it to GameFAQs or somewhere equally repulsive.

So here's what we're going to do. In this thread we're going to talk about Wii U marketing material showing up at retail, of which is sure to continue. The launch date. Whatever. I don't care, as long as it is relevant to these points.

What we're not going to do is compare the Wii U to the XboxWhatever and PlayStation 4. Not the launch, not the hardware, not the software, not anything unless it's specifically on topic (EG: Microsoft and Nintendo combine marketing material in joint marketing alliance, hell freezes over, etc). Bans for all those who insist on comparing Pikmin to Watch Dogs and assuring us all the Wii U can push one billion trillion GFLOPs bla bla bla. Shut up and enjoy the thread.

Original Op:

Yay! Thanks, EC!

I'm going with the black Wii U. I look forward to seeing Nintendo's media market push for this console and see what they'll be doing to convince casuals this isn't a Wii add-on.

Glad that black is available from day 1.

The funny thing is, atm there hasn't been any official statement about black WiiU being available at launch.

I reckon most probably both colours will be available at launch in all territories, but they could still launch black version as being, say, NA exclusive for all we know.

Kacho

Do we know all of the Nintendo Land games? and if not do the promotional materials give any clues?

We only know the games the mini-games are based off of. I think only Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing, Zelda, and Donkey Kong have been shown publicly at this point.

I can't wait to see what hidden goodies are in that game. There will no doubt be some nice surprises.

Do we know all of the Nintendo Land games? and if not do the promotional materials give any clues as to what gameplay these iterations will have?

We can guess what the games are based on by this picture, but only five have been revealed.

bzHH7.jpg

The Metroid game is probably an iteration of Battle Mii from E3 2011.

Surprised that so many here want the black system. That shiny black plastic looks so cheap and the controller will be a fingerprint magnet. I wish Nintendo would go with a 3DS XL matte finish for the controller.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Gamestop guy here,
We got an email about this stuff showing up on the 14h, or maybe it was 15th. So I bet that's the announcement/release date day.

I think Nintendo is gonna have another Huge hit on its hands again with Wii U. The timing is perfect, lets face it this generation is its on its last leg dragging it out way too long. Software and hardware sales are at a all time low. The people want a new generation to start already! The software lineup looks amazing, personally there are at least 6 games that I want to get at launch and thats a lot for a launch lineup. I cant wait for Zombi U.

I also feel that since Wii U is just a game console its gonna really set itself apart from what MS and Sony are planning to do with their Swiss army consoles that can do it all. While its pretty cool to have such device I think the same could be said about having a next gen pure gaming device as well. Nintendo just needs to get the online aspect done correctly, it doesnt have to be on the same levels as XBL or PSN. Just no friends codes, real user names, account side game saves and cross game invitation and chat and its a wrap! Personally, Wii U couldnt come any faster!

Black Wii U for me!

clemenx

Banned
Chances of a surprise September/October release? Isn't this too early for these material to arrive? Note that I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Gamestop guy here,
We got an email about this stuff showing up on the 14h, or maybe it was 15th. So I bet that's the announcement/release date day.

Sorry I am confused- the 14th of what?

DynamicG

Chances of a surprise September/October release? Isn't this too early for these material to arrive? Note that I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about.

It may not be too early for a November release. I can't find anything online detailing when the first Wii promos went up in stores, but print ads for the Wii started to appear in July 06. I haven't seen any print ads for WiiU yet though.

Hope we get some solid info soon, pricing/release date.

Don't intend on buying at launch, but a part of me will always be nintendo.

Chances of a surprise September/October release?

As a fact we know that Wii U is going to release by the end of the year, that means december at the latest, so a september/october launch-date guess should not be far-fetched.

Isn't this too early for these material to arrive? Note that I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about.

Honestly I'm not particularly in the know either, but I believe that if they're already sending around promotional material, WiiU should not be too far away.

Drago

So, are gamepads being sold separate from the WiiU or just the Pro controllers?

I want to get a black console and a controller for every color

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The retail material specifies pre-orders, without a date, which is less indicative of a sooner-than-expected launch, moreso a gear up to Nintendo's public marketing push in my opinion.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Sorry I am confused- the 14th of what?

This month. Next week.

The retail material specifies pre-orders, without a date, which is less indicative of a sooner-than-expected launch, moreso a gear up to Nintendo's public marketing push in my opinion.
I think it means a price at least. Or we'll know all the colors, for sure. Because if they weren't waiting on a price, they would've just done like they did with the Vita and listed it as 999.99 for preorders.

The guys at the Wii U Experience events have been saying it's coming "Holiday 2012". That means either November or December. I've never heard September and October be referred to as part of the Holidays. Holidays usually means from Thanksgiving week to New Year's Eve.

NateDrake

That's how I look at it. This means nothing other than Nintendo slowly making a retail presence known prior to the release date announcement likely for September. A month of marketing, release date in another 4 weeks (or around when retail stores update their marketing material) and so on.

The guys at the Wii U Experience events have been saying it's coming "Holiday 2012". That means either November or December. I've never heard September and October be referred to as part of the Holidays. Holidays usually means from Thanksgiving week to New Year's Eve.

And no company wants to try and launch during that window of retail channel madness. Look for it before Thanksgiving.

Yeah, but even if that was intended just to build up the hype and to make WiiU known in the mass-market, the release date should not be too far away, otherwise letting people waiting too long may result in a backlash imo.

Other than that, somehow it strikes me how there is some Ninja Gaiden 3 material - not Darksiders 2, Arkham city or Assassin's creed 3 - along with NintendoLand stuff.

Zhengi

Seeing those images has made me excited for the new console. I will definitely be picking up the black one. Looks so sleek and beautiful.

DarkWish

Seeing Nintendo Land promoted like that got me thinking it wouldn't be a pack-in... but then I thought of something else. What do you all think of the idea of two different bundles? Maybe a white Wii U bundle with Nintendo Land, and a black Wii U bundle with ZombiU or something. That'd be interesting.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Other than that, somehow it strikes me how there is some Ninja Gaiden 3 material - not Darksiders 2, Arkham city or Assassin's creed 3 - along with NintendoLand stuff.

NG3 is being published by Nintendo.

Top Bottom