• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U US Launch Date + Price: November 18th, $300 basic/$350 deluxe

mocoworm

People always complain about prices, same with the iPhone5 whingers this morning on all the other tech sites.

This is a perfectly reasonable price for what you are getting. A full nextgen nintendo system with Wii back compatibility / flash memory and a tablet controller. If you want it you will buy it. If you can't afford it you won't.

Sell your Wii and put the $$ towards this if you have to. You won't need it anymore.

The End.

Marvie_3

Banned
No thanks, Nintendo. I'll wait. This will be the first Nintendo system I don't pick up at launch.

People always complain about prices, same with the iPhone5 whingers this morning on all the other tech sites.

This is a perfectly reasonable price for what you are getting. A full nextgen nintendo system with Wii back compatibility / flash memory and a tablet controller. If you want it you will buy it. If you can't afford it you won't.
Sell your Wii and put the $$ towards this if you have to. You won't need it anymore.

The End.

I want it and can afford it but I am not paying that much for it.

Ranger X

299$ when both 360 and PS3 are sold 199$ with more storage space??

---- Thank You Nintendo and better luck next time! ----

wtf

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
What is the Deluxe Digital Promotion? Either way too expensive for me. I definitely want to wait and see how it does and play around with it in a store

If you buy digital games you get points that you can spend on other digital content. They didn't specify if it was DLC or games or both.

LTWood12

Because Nintendo is thinking of you, the consumer. If they included a high capacity storage, well then they'd have to jack up the price wouldn't they? This way you can buy whatever storage amount you want.

That's probably one of the cheapest parts of the whole system. That just doesn't make sense.

hyduK

Banned
About $100 too high. The deluxe should be standard at $249.

They're kind of shooting themselves in the foot with this controller if it really is half of the cost. Because there's no way it adds that much value especially with the limitations on it.

Jackano

Lol at the moanings. Expecting/wanting 199$ is really stupid, even 249$ was somewhat lolable after the japanese price announcement. Stop living in your own little world, the US$ isn't worthing very much anymore now - US price is the most reasonnable price around the world.

Ocaso

Anticipate massive sales drop-off after holiday season, followed by price drop around summer 2012 to combat hype for new consoles revealed at E3.

This price is a smart strategy for Nintendo since they'll likely sell out for the holiday season regardless. That said, it feels overpriced and this makes waiting for a price drop (at which time a better library will be available) far easier.

Sheroking

The amusing thing is that if Durango and the PS4 are anywhere near the jumps in tech everyone in hear is hoping they are, they are likely to be 500+ dollar consoles.

Especially if Kinect rears it's ugly head.

snap0212

Not interested in the 8GB version as it's just too little space. The 32GB version comes with Nintendo Land, which I'm not interested in either. So I'd have to spend 350€ (I'll just assume that's the price in Europe) and then 50€ for another game. I don't think that'll happen.

Vire

$250 would have been the sweet spot. Especially considering this has the power equivalency of 7 year old hardware...

I'm passing for now.

Nintendo launched at the highest reasonable price to make as much profit per unit sold while they have the next gen lead. Once Sony and Microsoft launch their new consoles, Ninty will drop that price because this early launch and price point gives them plenty of room to slash the price, 3DS style. Nintendo knows the competition won't launch for ATLEAST a year, so a price drop next holiday won't see the backlash the 3DS saw

Mikey Jr.

They should make a value pack.

Get rid of the gamepad, drop the internal storage to 2gb, and include the classic pro controller or whatever.

Nintendo would sell it for $289.

First thought: THAT'S SO CHEAP

Second thought: Let's see what GAF thinks

Last thought: Of course GAF thinks it's outrageously high

It's a new system with specs that are probably going to end up being comparable to current gen hardware. The price is too high. When Microsoft tries to sell me one of those stupid Xbox 360 Star Wars bundles for the same price, it's still too high.

2MF

If they had launched at $300 we would all think it's reasonable, but having a higher priced model at $350 immediately changes people's perception of the price.

Time will tell if this was a wise decision.

HardRojo

Since Wii U is $299, I can only imagine how many more 100 dollar bills you will be pulling out for the other systems. If you can't afford Nintendo's system then good luck looking at anything else for the next 2 years

It's not that they can't afford it but they won't spend $300-350 knowing there are more powerful consoles coming in just a couple of years or less that will cost probably only $200 more.

Huff

Banned
The amusing thing is that if Durango and the PS4 are anywhere near the jumps in tech everyone in hear is hoping they are, they are likely to be 500+ dollar consoles.

Especially if Kinect rears it's ugly head.

People(here at least) would accept high prices for a greater jump

7Th

The End.

It's weaker than any current gaming PC.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Only 8 and 32gb inrernal? Nintendo shouod have gone with the standard HDD like PS3 and 360. And yes, overpriced.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't have a tablet, and I'd only use one in my room anyways, so this is kind of appealing to me in multiple ways.

spons

Gold Member
Because Nintendo is thinking of you, the consumer. If they included a high capacity storage, well then they'd have to jack up the price wouldn't they? This way you can buy whatever storage amount you want.

So by how much would a cheap mechanical HDD jack up the prices?

kswiston

I was hoping for $249 to be the starting point, but I suppose $300 isn't that bad, especially since I will be getting at least $170 off thanks to Shopper's Drug Mart.

I think I will wait a few months and see whether I want the basic or deluxe model though. If Nintendo starts offering larger titles through their Digital store (Virtual Console for CD based systems, Full game downloads), 8GB internal storage is not going to cut it. I know SD cards are an option, but I'd rather have 32GB internal with the option of adding another 32GB if I need it. If the eStore is still limited to games that are mostly 5-100MB, than the 8GB system is good enough.

Majmun

X360 + Kinect + 250GB + 2 games = €315

Decent. Will be interesting to see Gaf's reaction when PS4 and Xbox3 are even more expensive.

I expect those systems to launch at $399. I don't think anyone here thinks they will be less than that.

I don't have a tablet, and I'd only use one in my room anyways, so this is kind of appealing to me in multiple ways.

It's a bargain basement tablet if you want to use it for just that. Grab a Nexus 7 for less money. You can game on it too.

Like someone else said, it's going to sell out at Christmas regardless. They'll drop the price next year by $50 before the next consoles are released and follow it up with 1 or 2 AAA titles. It's a smart strategy. The $350 version is in the expensive territory but not $399 and $499 and $599 prices explored by the competitors. Also, as much as you want the Black, I can see people picking the $299 White version because it's more affordable

Tagg9

This seals it for me - I won't bother getting the system until a price drop next year. I would have considered getting it if Pikmin 3 was a launch title, but it sounds like that isn't happening.

Top Bottom