• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U US Launch Date + Price: November 18th, $300 basic/$350 deluxe

jimi_dini

Following the "screw europe" currency conversion, this means 350EUR :(

If they used proper conversion, it would mean 250EUR for the regular and 300EUR for the deluxe. But I doubt that will happen.

I can see Nintendo dropping the price in March just like they did after the 3DS launch. The $50 is not even much more, but I think it's a perception and expectation problem. When you eclipse the $300 mark, you've ventured into the land of Sony & Microsoft. It might not be a fair perception, but it is what it is.

I'll be waiting for a price drop.

Mitsurux

I'm a bit dissapointed....

Think the 2 SKUs might end up being a bad idea, the prices seems rather high....

Well i'll be waiting till tax time to pick one up with refund money....

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Sometimes I think people trying to argue 1:1 comparisons with the Xbox 360 / PlayStation 3 price completely ignore the extra technology in the GamePad that is contributing to the price hike.

Overpriced or not, you're not just paying for a box of transistors and wires bundled with a run-of-the-mill pad. You're also paying for an LCD screen and other shit. It's part of the price you'll pay.

I don't think the price is too high, for what you're getting.

A newer system that IS more powerful than the current generation systems. When you cost compare to other things, it actually seems reasonable and priced low.

iPod Touch = 299
PSVita + 8GB = 280
3DSXL = 199
XBox360 4GB + Kinect = 299

With WiiU, you're getting a resistive based tablet-esque, streaming controller that doesn't require tv included for 300$. That doesn't scream any bigger pricing error than any of the above priced items. It's all relative and I find it realistically appropriate in its realm of stuff...

I was just reiterating what other people defending the storage situation have said. Personally it sounds like bullshit excuses.
They are. I got some doosies this morning from some people. Apparently they are offering us the freedom of choice, people. Freedom of choice.

Instro

That's probably one of the cheapest parts of the whole system. That just doesn't make sense.

Well, iirc the internal HDD s the most expensive part in the PS3/360, or at least it has been that way for some time now.

I'm a little surprised people were expecting less than this amount though, Iwata said it would cost more than $250 a year ago. The Wii wasn't sold at much of a profit when it launched at $250 iirc, so its hard to imagine how they could launch a next gen console with new hardware at that price point without selling at a loss. Hopefully people arn't expecting the other 2 next gen consoles to be cheap or there will be lots of angry posts

hyduK

Banned
Sometimes I think people trying to argue 1:1 comparisons with the Xbox 360 / PlayStation 3 price completely ignore the extra technology in the GamePad that is contributing to the price hike.

Overpriced or not, you're not just paying for a box of transistors and wires bundled with a run-of-the-mill pad. You're also paying for an LCD screen and other shit. It's part of the price you'll pay.

Yeah, the problem is they've yet to prove that it adds the value that they're charging for it.

I mean, half the price is basically this gamepad...they're putting a lot of stock into people wanting it.

udivision

Don't bother, just let the anger run it's course...

The gamepad won't cost much more than the HDD in the PS3 and Xbox though so you can't just ignore expensive components included in the other consoles that aren't included in the Wii U.

Totally understandable, but personally I'm not interested in the controller. It's a non-factor for me and I'm focused on playing HD Nintendo games. Probably not the target for the console since the main draw is in fact the controller, so the price is too high IMO and I'll wait for a drop.

Whether the controller is worth the additional cost in the long run is still unknown. Hopefully the creativity doesn't die down after launch and it's just used for menus/maps/etc.

Carlisle

$350 is a no brainier considering what you get for $50 more. That said, it's still $150 more than I wanted to spend on this, especially considering there's nothing in the launch lineup pushing me to run out and grab one day 1. My Wii backlog is plenty enough to keep me entertained until such a time though. But with iPhone 5 around the corner, 3DS XL tempting me really hard, and hopefully a long-awaited Vita bundle/price drop soon, Wii U has dropped to the bottom of my priorities list. I'll still get it, but I'll wait.

scitek

I think the deluxe price is fine since we at least get a pack-in. Dunno why anyone would buy the basic aside from wanting white, it's honestly a rip-off.

Huff

Banned

Do you think it's comparable to a 360+kinect bundle?

Derrick01

Banned

True but people can't see that extra cost in the wii U pad. Like it doesn't make the games look or play better, it's just used for some extra stuff like slightly quicker inventory access (so far at least). With the other 2 systems we were seeing stuff like the Killzone 2 video and Gears of War that generated a lot of excitement and showed a huge improvement over last gen.

kuroshiki

Whoa. guys this is absolutely fantastic price for next generation console, that has 10x power of current gen!

lol yeah right

Mikey Jr.

Decent. Will be interesting to see Gaf's reaction when PS4 and Xbox3 are even more expensive.

Ummm, those will have the latest tech in them. Not tech from 2007. So yeah, a $100 jump to $399 would be fine.

This is like me paying $1000 for a computer that has parts from 6 years ago.

EVERYONE knows Nintendo want to make a profit from day 1 on their hardware. This is exactly it. Sony and MS take a hit on their machines and try to recoup via software.

As a consumer, I prefer the Sony/MS model.

Anyways, will buy when it drops down to $99.

2MF

I'm a bit dissapointed....

Think the 2 SKUs might end up being a bad idea, the prices seems rather high....

Well i'll be waiting till tax time to pick one up with refund money....

Same thing as the PS3. There was a $500 model, but in everyone's mind it was a $600 console.

Having two models is both an asset and a liability it seems.

I think that's the problem. There is no perceived added value to that controller. A lot of people aren't looking at it as something they should be paying a premium for. It's just another controller. I do get your point though.

I wish they would just sell a cheap package with the pro controller.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yeah, the problem is they've yet to prove that it adds the value that they're charging for it.

I mean, half the price is basically this gamepad...they're putting a lot of stock into people wanting it.

Right, but it is what it is and that's the point. If people think the controller is shit and useless, fine. But it's part of the package, it costs money to manufacture, and it's going to contribute to the price. It needs to be factored in.

Plus the usual Nintendo tax.

The gamepad won't cost much more than the HDD in the PS3 and Xbox though so you can't just ignore expensive components included in the other consoles that aren't included in the Wii U.

I don't know about that? I would assume the components of the gamepad and product itself is more expensive to manufacture than including a mechanical HDD.

Storage is low.
Power is normal.
Price is high.

I really wanted to get one this year, but I dont know now.

You forgot the 4th feature: Gamepad

I think that's the problem. There is no perceived added value to that controller. A lot of people aren't looking at it as something they should be paying a premium for. It's just another controller. I do get your point though.

I wish they would just sell a cheap package with the pro controller.

If you're ignoring the features of the Gamepad and its capabilities which current gaming systems don't have, you probably weren't interested in Wii U to begin with. It's like

It doesn't matter. I am not comparing it with anything else ... like I said, it's a full nextgen NINTENDO system.

Nintendo is not the brand in the US that it once was. It's not the brand that it was ~4 years ago. There is basically one company in America that can charge a premium for technology on brand alone, and that's Apple. For many people now, the expectation is that it should be cheaper because it's Nintendo.

You forgot the 4th feature: Gamepad

Perhaps it's because unlike the Wii, more people see this game pad as a hindrance to gaming than something that makes it better.

Shambles

Its 300$ wth are people crying about? You didnt want the Nintendoland pack in so it wouldnt cost an extra 50 they made a sku for you.

It's not $300 it's $350. The entire purpose of the 8GB model is for them to claim they have a cheaper one. 8GB isn't enough for a cellphone let alone a gaming device using digital delivery. Not even close. The existence of the 8GB at all is an insult to customers. It's only going to trick clueless parents into buying them because they don't know the difference and the kids will find it fairly useless after filling the storage in two weeks.

Vire

This would be a reasonable argument if the GamePad didn't look like a Fisher Price controller. It seems really cheap and dinky.

Sandfox

People probably would've complained regardless of the price. I think the price is ok for a launch price and I think the memory is fine for flash memory. If I want more space I'll just plug a HDD up to it.

It doesn't matter. I am not comparing it with anything else ... like I said, it's a full nextgen NINTENDO system.

It's a full this-gen system with full next-gen prices.

Performance that only matches a 7 year old console, with considerably less memory and games, for over twice the price. Daylight robbery.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

This is a ludicrous statement.

Top Bottom