• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WiiU - Undercooked and rushed to the market?

Oh, that reminds me! With all these launch games looking the way they do, I'm wondering how the hell that Zelda looks that way? My guess is they go with some kind of different look, ala Wind Waker to hide the system's limitations.

If it did look like that though...hot damn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcapRBQoMWk

I find this demo harder to imagine, personally.

Zelda just looks like TP upres'd with better lighting and effectz.

Kurdel

Banned
I haven't cracked my gamepad open to check the battery type nor did I check the exact file size of the OS update but I'm having fun with the system. Does that count?

i-had-fun-once-and-it-was-awful.jpg

Seriously though, this launch drama has killed my gadget lust for a Wii U.

kitzkozan

None of this is unexpected to me. Basically the way I see it, Nintendo's trying to catch up 6 years of development on competing consoles with maybe a year of development time.

At this point there are bugs and some pretty obvious performance issues. Give it a while, early adopters always get the beta test treatment.

Yeah, it's going to take a while until the bugs are ironed out. Let's remember the first few years of the 360 or PS3. :p

The mediocre ports made by second grade teams is also predictable imo. The appeal of this console for me is Nintendo first and second party which will end up delivering and some solid third party games like a new Dragon Quest or Monster Hunter.

I almost was done in by launch console hype but thankfully sanity prevailed and I held off. I know I will definitely have a Wii-U in my house but it won't be until Zelda, Mario or Metroid hits.

Seriously though, this launch drama has killed my gadget lust for a Wii U.

Ehh, for me, the allure of HD Nintendo games is just way too strong to even consider some of these problems as influencing my hype for the console.

Like for example, New Super Mario Bros. U is amazingly fun...my favorite in the NSMB series so far. Such an incredible game.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Fun fact: The battery that comes with the Wii U gamepad has less charge/capacity than the original PSP-1000 battery.

Bgamer90

Banned
163027__468x_wii-u-battery.jpg

This perfectly sums up Nintendo's philosophy.

Man, that's really messed up lol.

Anyway, it's obvious that this was rushed which is funny considering there's nothing on it that looks like it couldn't be done on the PS3/360. 1 GB+ patch on launch is pretty ridiculous. Some strange things about the OS and the way some Wii U features work scream "not properly thought out".

Some things will more than likely get better via patches but man, this launch has been pretty sloppy already.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I can't believe there's a thread that just compiles the "issues" of the Wii U. Oh GAF of yesteryear, I miss thee.

Oh, yeah I remember that. I disagree about the Zelda TD though, it looks pretty fantastic. The levels of detail and lighting look especially incredible.

I think the Zelda demo looks great visually but nothing on a technical level seems to crazy outside the obvious polish.

Izick

I think the Zelda demo looks great visually but nothing on a technical level seems to crazy outside the obvious polish.

Eh, maybe your right, I guess I'll just wait and see. If it looks like that though, it may definitely be something that could make me pick up a Wii U.

Mine still hasn't arrived yet, but some of these alleged problems seem like non-issues to me. But then again, I wasn't there for 3DS at launch and by the time I got mine it was working beautifully.

Regardless, guys, Wii U is going to be at 15 million before the first Nextbox or Orbis is out at Wal-Mart, so you can stop hoping for a crash and burn. Of course, I don't care, because by the time I get my Wii U later this week, I expect it to be running more or less fine.

Respawn

Banned
I would imagine it was designed so they could sell you a bigger battery a year from now, but the plan was always for about what they have now. They were so conscious of weight and power draw and cost on this system that I can't imagine any other way.

I concur. It seems there is a horizontal fit for a much larger battery.

Mine still hasn't arrived yet, but some of these alleged problems seem like non-issues to me. But then again, I wasn't there for 3DS at launch and by the time I got mine it was working beautifully.

Regardless, guys, Wii U is going to be at 15 million before the first Nextbox or Orbis is out at Wal-Mart, so you can stop hoping for a crash and burn. Of course, I don't care, because by the time I get my Wii U later this week, I expect it to be running more or less fine.

Just like your 3DS. I didn't know Nintendo resolved all the issues of their handheld in a week.

Mr. F

Banned
I'd still like to get one down the line when the notable first-party titles start coming out, but feeling my hype deflate as all these issues have come to light has been a bummer.

Hoping some of these issues (at least on the OS/social network side) get ironed out over the next little while.

People seem to forget how AWFUL the HD twins launch was.

They were? Don't remember I guess. But yea they were pretty bare bones... seems like last generation we had the Xbox Blades. Also, people forget that Xbox Live was just really being introduced and I think even Youtube was just becoming a thing. Feels like ages ago

I think part of what threw off Nintendo's launch is how people demanded 2 gamepads because nobody had a clue how the system really worked. It's a 5 player console... Good enough.

Bgamer90

Banned
People seem to forget how AWFUL the HD twins launch was.

Were the launches so disappointing that they didn't feel like steps up from the systems from the previous gen in anyway?

I mean, there were some disappointments no doubt but come on. The PS3 and 360 actually felt like systems that were fresh and brand new during their launch in comparison to what was out previously.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
The sad thing is that there will be some people who will defend this.

Is a lighter controller suddenly indefensible?

Seriously, I would agree the battery life isn't nearly what it should be, and I imagine they put too much priority on weight. 3 hours is stupid low. But this kind of "us versus them" attitude helps nothing at all. Because you feel strongly about something suddenly any countering opinion is null and void? Get outta here with that crap.

Kurdel

Banned
Its really not as bad as a few are making it.

The launch goggles do seem to be in full effect for some people though.

For Nintendo to launch a console on this state makes me wonder if anyone over there actually knows what the the competition is doing. It's like they live in a bubble, learning nothing from their competitors mistakes.

Microsoft and Sony have learned a lot over the years, and I am sure their system OS will at the least be optimised for human consumption.

Top Bottom