• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wikipad. A tablet with a detachable dual analog controller

shaowebb

I searched and couldn't find this anywhere. Lock/mock if old.

Gameindustry article talking about the device

Many new Android devices are heading to market this year with a focus on gaming, and the Wikipad appears to be aiming at the high end. The device features a 10.1 IPS display with 1,280 x 800 resolution, an Nvidia Tegra 3 T30 quad-core 1.4GHz processor, 1GB of DDR2 RAM, at least 16GB storage and Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. The tablet also has 8-megapixel rear / 2-megapixel front cameras and will be good for at least six hours of continuous gaming on the battery. Most important for gamers, though, is the addition of a wrap-around controller that includes analog joysticks, triggers, buttons and speakers. The controller can detach when you want to use the tablet in its slim, 1.2 pound form.
GamesIndustry International spoke with CEO James Bower after he showed the Wikipad at Gamescom, in order to find out more about their plans for this new mobile gaming device.

It also has certification for Sony Playstation Mobile.
As far as platforms go, Google Play gives you direct access to all the games that are available there. A lot of games are touch, and there are controller based games as well available on Google. We also are going to come pre-loaded with TegraZone, which are games that are optimized for Nvidia's Tegra platform. There are filters within TegraZone for games that have gamepad support, so people are going to be able to download games from there. There are several games ready for the Wikipad in there.
Of course, with the recent announcement with Sony PlayStation Mobile it's going to come preloaded with PlayStation Mobile Platform, which is more than just an app. The platform works within the processor of the tablet itself, so there are titles that are ready for the Wikipad within the PlayStation Mobile Platform. We'll start seeing some of those initial announcements over the next couple of weeks. The volume will build from there, and a lot of those announcements won't necessarily come from us. They'll either come from the publishers or Sony themselves.

4WcNT.jpg

OwZiK.jpg

More info At the link with the interview

So what are your thoughts on this development GAF? Tablets are pretty powerful and with controller attachments that opens them up for far more advanced types of game designs. The games on them now are mostly pretty casual or low on control options due to touch button interfaces being limiting since there is no tactile feedback to help players feel controls as they input them.

Just thought I'd ask everyone's thoughts on this.

goomba

Banned
Looks cool.

I just wonder about how many games are going to support the controller options in mind.

Be good for emulators at least.

HDMI out?

shaowebb

Looks cool.

I just wonder about how many games are going to support the controller options in mind.

Be good for emulators at least.

HDMI out?

gameindustry article said:
James Bower: There is a proprietary 30 pin connector that connects the tablet to the controller itself. Then there's a pass-through inside the controller to where you can still plug in the power cord. There's going to be accessories that plug it into HDMI.

Looks like it.

Shai-Tan

Banned
It might make more sense if Playstation Mobile picks up. Otherwise it's for emus mostly. I'll continue to play my Vita (and PSP) so I guess this isn't for me anyway.

shaowebb

What happened to Razer's version of this? At least I think it was Razer? It ever come out?

Project Fiona? Looks like 4th quarter 2012 is all they were willing to claim, but nothing solid comes up when I search. That one had an interesting layout too.

CHYmc.jpg

I can guarantee as these things pickup that studios like Gameloft will try to develop games with them in mind. Sign a contract with Razer or the Wikipad guys to include a game voucher with their controller and you can expect a pretty good return on your market as it increases in size on some games. Especially micromarket designed ones. Its just good business for folks heavily invested in the app market to look into trying to get in on this early and corner the audience for sales same as any studio that tries to get launch titles out for new systems.

DiscoJer

I still think Sony should have made a tablet version of the Vita like this (more like the Wii U pad).

This one manages not to look completely terrible to use, unlike the Fiona. Best of luck to them.

Yeah, if they could make the peripheral a universal attachment for android tablets and get some sort of industry standard going with it, it could actually make tablet gaming somewhat competitive, at least theoretically. I know it would be awesome for emulators, that's for sure.

Double D

I want one of these I can plug an iPad into and make it work with my 360 and then make it function like the Wii U gamepad.

shaowebb

Yeah, if they could make the peripheral a universal attachment for android tablets and get some sort of industry standard going with it, it could actually make tablet gaming somewhat competitive, at least theoretically. I know it would be awesome for emulators, that's for sure.

I'm about to go into this industry and its likely my first job will be working for mobile developers as I get started in my game career. I'm pretty curious how these people feel about them right now at the start. Are they eager or apprehensive about them? I know a big thing for a lot of these app developers is the cheap cost of making games, but controllers mean games can be bigger and better so developing with that in mind trying to show off might seem a gamble for some studios. Big dudes like Gameloft likely wont bat an eye and go for it, but startups like Breaktime studios might ignore these till they were more saturated.

Sony Playstation Mobile being on board is probably the best news for this market since it starts the console with some good stuff. I'd be surprised though if I don't end up working on a project looking to take advantage of one of these devices though over the next few years. If it works out it could be a big deal in the industry as its a market as yet untapped for delivering bigger gaming experiences to. Course its likely gamers who will buy this so I'm not certain it has the same market size as the normal app users market due to that. I'm not certain how this attachment will market to the casual mobile game player who doesn't really game heavily that lives for Angry Birds. They may not be looking to go for anything that requires more time investment or money than a quick pickup/putdown for a dollar experience to enjoy while waiting in the checkout line.

I think this stuff will be a big deal in a few years, though. It lets me consolidate my mobile gaming and all my other mobile needs.

Aaron

No thanks. I'd rather have a small bluetooth controller that I can pop in my bag than the jaws of death there.

4WcNT.jpg

OwZiK.jpg

[/url]

So what are your thoughts on this development GAF? Tablets are pretty powerful and with controller attachments that opens them up for far more advanced types of game designs. The games on them now are mostly pretty casual or low on control options due to touch button interfaces being limiting since there is no tactile feedback to help players feel controls as they input them.

Just thought I'd ask everyone's thoughts on this.

That's 2 different designs, which one is Wikipad?

I don't think that will work out very well, far too big to be portable and if you use it at home why not just play on a console?

I can't see it getting much developer support and I'd rather have a BT controller for my iPad.

I wouldn't buy a Wikipad.

shaowebb

Hmm...I hadn't thought about this too hard, but what does this due for Microsoft and their big push of Smartglass that lets you beam mobile content to your system? Think they'll release stuff to try and get people to use these like Wii-U devices? Could help them sell tablets.

shaowebb

Pretty much my reaction to cabled or other seperate devices. You have to lay down your tablet and dock it to the controller to use it as a gaming device with one of those making it a pain. Mobile game systems can be used in areas where you don't have room to lay things down and can be used standing up. Its kind of a big thing for consumers if they got to sit down, setup, and play. This is an easier sell because it doesn't limit folks. They can just pass it over to their kid while shopping and be done with it without restricting their mobility.

Kind of the point of these mobile devices to be able to remain mobile.

I suppose my personal fondness of the peripheral itself is mainly from the fact that it adds that control method while also taking care of holding the tablet. You gain that traditional controller why maintaining the devices mobility. We can connect a bluetooth controller to most tablets, but have to either prop it up on something, or lay it down, both of which I find inconvenient.

In terms of what it would mean for the industry, and developers working on it: I don't think it would change or invalidate the types of games that are made for tablets right now, so much as it could broaden what tablet and mobile games can be.

With a standardized physical controller layout, all of a sudden, bringing a high-precision racing game or shooter to tablets doesn't seem like a pipe-dream. The games themselves would feel more solid and less floaty. Less of "Uh, you can't really feasibly control that yourself, so we'll have the game do it for you."

Is it economically feasible? I don't know, but I'd err on the side of "probably not." Tablets and phones aren't looked at as gaming devices so much as multimedia devices that just so happen to play games. I think that deep down I just want a comfortable, well-working controller to use on the tablet that I already own.

shaowebb

I suppose my personal fondness of the peripheral itself is mainly from the fact that it adds that control method while also taking care of holding the tablet. You gain that traditional controller why maintaining the devices mobility. We can connect a bluetooth controller to most tablets, but have to either prop it up on something, or lay it down, both of which I find inconvenient.

In terms of what it would mean for the industry, and developers working on it: I don't think it would change or invalidate the types of games that are made for tablets right now, so much as it could broaden what tablet and mobile games can be.

With a standardized physical controller layout, all of a sudden, bringing a high-precision racing game or shooter to tablets doesn't seem like a pipe-dream. The games themselves would feel more solid and less floaty. Less of "Uh, you can't really feasibly control that yourself, so we'll have the game do it for you."

Is it economically feasible? I don't know, but I'd err on the side of "probably not." Tablets and phones aren't looked at as gaming devices so much as multimedia devices that just so happen to play games. I think that deep down I just want a comfortable, well-working controller to use on the tablet that I already own.

Great post. I feel the same way on the market being split between controller based gamers and casuals. The super casual mobile users won't likely turn into big spenders who will pay for controller sleeves and more expensive games that they can't pickup and then put down 3 minutes later once they reach the checkout. I think the pressure these casual user's kids put on them though might sell some of these units into their ranks though.

The higher end mobile gaming market won't replace the low end casual side of it IMO. I do feel it will be a decently profitable area to develop for once these establish a place in the market after year one.

I still think Sony should have made a tablet version of the Vita like this (more like the Wii U pad).

I agree, if you want to play vita games, you can attach that thing, if you want to play just touch or motion games, browse the web, watch movies, listen to music, read books, etc, you can detach it and just use the tablet itself. It should be Sony's XL version of the vita IMO anyways.

Regardless, I'll be keeping an eye on this device. I'm interested.

Unless the vitapad use android os, then there's no point for it being a tablet. People want tablet because most use android and there's a lot of cheap games on it. A vita tablet using vita os isnt going to make a difference imo. And if it use android, then I dont know if that will impact the native vita games, since I assume android os took quite a bit of resource that could be used for games instead.

IrishNinja

this looks better than that fiona thing, but we're still early on, like iArcade or whatever that was. when there's more universal support (a dedicated peripheral from more tablet's manufacturers would be assuring) ill be interested, but i admit that sony mobile is a good start.

majik13

Why is this called a Wikipad? What does it have to do with wikis?

I believe wiki comes from hawaii, means fast. There are buses out there called wiki or something, that is were the term came from for wikis as we know them. Just meaning"fast" or "quick"

not sure if that is the inspiration or not for this.

DiscoJer

Unless the vitapad use android os, then there's no point for it being a tablet. People want tablet because most use android and there's a lot of cheap games on it. A vita tablet using vita os isnt going to make a difference imo. And if it use android, then I dont know if that will impact the native vita games, since I assume android os took quite a bit of resource that could be used for games instead.

You make a good point, but if Sony really pushed PSMobile, that might also have a lot of cheap games, and then they could tie the Vita/Vita Tablet up to their own e-reader store, it would be more competitive with android tablets in general.

And maybe do a tie in with Harry Potter somehow, they run the official online bookstore for Harry Potter. Maybe buy a Vita, get a Harry Potter book.

Of course, that's asking too much internal cooperation from Sony.

bede-x

Isn't this a little big? With a screen that's slightly wider than the iPad and a wrap-around controller in addition to that, it might become a little unwieldy.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Why hasn't this been done with iPad already? Apple made a big deal in one of their iOS keynotes about opening up IOS to external devices, bringing on medical dudes with blood pressure monitors etc. You can even buy WiFi bathroom scales that talk to the iPad.

So why no game controller? The closest we have is the icade and similar, which have to act like a BT keyboard so can't support analog inputs

mocoworm

Wikipad costs $499 at GameStop starting October 31, gives Android a gaming costume

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/06/wikipad-costs-499-at-gamestop-october-31/

wikipadfront.png

WIKIPAD COMING TO GAMESTOP OCTOBER 31, 2012
GameStop Launches Pre-Order Program with Exclusive Content

LOS ANGELES, SEPTEMBER 7, 2012-GameStop (NYSE: GME), the world's largest
multichannel retailer of video games, has partnered with Wikipad, Inc. to offer the Wikipad
tablet, the first tablet with an attachable console-quality gamepad controller, through its
stores and website. The Wikipad will be available October 31 to consumers at a retailer
price of $499 USD.

"GameStop is the retail destination when it comes to video games. Nobody but GameStop
provides gamers with the best gaming content on the market. And for those that purchase
or pre-order a Wikipad at GameStop, their tablet will have access to valuable extras
including exclusive free, full-length game titles. The Wikipad is powered by an Nvidia
Tegra 3 processor and will support PlayStation®Mobile platform," said Fraser Townley,
President of Sales for Wikipad, Inc.

Customers can pre-order the Wikipad now at GameStop stores nationwide or online at
www.GameStop.com. Wikipads pre-ordered at GameStop will come with value-added
extras including full-length titles and an issue of Game Informer Digital.

"We are thrilled to be partnering with Wikipad to launch this unique new gaming tablet,"
said Joe Gorman, vice president of GameStop's mobile business unit. "We love the
innovation and know our customers are excited to see it in action."

Wikipad will launch in October with a full suite of games delivered by the latest video
game platforms, including PlayStation®Mobile, NVIDIA's Tegra Zone, Google Play as well
as several upcoming unannounced platforms. To bring the best gaming experience to
consumers, Wikipad will offer a premium 10.1" IPS screen, ultra-light chassis, quad core
processor, expandable memory and an attachable console quality game controller.

For more information on the Wikipad tablet, visit: www.wikipad.com.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
No thanks. I'd rather have a small bluetooth controller that I can pop in my bag than the jaws of death there.

exactly.

also these kinds of things are doomed if they're not sold with a system anyway. let's say 1% of people buy that thing, how many developers are going to support it for control?

Carl

exactly.

also these kinds of things are doomed if they're not sold with a system anyway. let's say 1% of people buy that thing, how many developers are going to support it for control?

This one does come with the system...

Edit: shit, i see what you mean now. Ignore me.

Some developers support XPERIA Play controls, so i can't imagine this being much different really.

DiscoJer

$500 for a tablet with a Tegra 3?

So like $300 more than a Nexus 7 for the controller and 3" of screen.

All tablets need are two small resolution screens beside the main screen, one used as an analogue, the other as buttons. Sorted.

Speevy

Banned
Sorry for being skeptical, but this seems an awful lot like buying a peripheral that only uses a handful of games.

Why not just buy the thing that does this type of gaming best?

Wow...
That price point seems...really inflated.
Seems you can get just as powerful devices for hundreds less sans control unit.

Pretty shitty to announce the delay on the day is supposed to be on-sale. If anyone is fool enough to give these unprofessional newbies money for an overpriced unproven tablet more fool you.
They must have known about the delay for weeks but decided to keep on taking that preorder money "were making it better" How about actually making it at all and ontime? I'm sure that special bonus will be worth waiting for. not.

My advice would be go and buy a proper tablet from a known manufacture.

Top Bottom