• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wildstar? “You’re Gonna Find Out, Cupcake”

Desaan

The only thing that concerns me about Wildstar is that it's been in development for so long and they still don't have a set release date and the beta's have been going on forever, closed or otherwise.

Azzurri

The only thing that concerns me about Wildstar is that it's been in development for so long and they still don't have a set release date and the beta's have been going on forever, closed or otherwise.

They announced that they want to release the game in 2013. Also beta has not started, it's just a friends and family, not a public closed beta.

MooseKing

Banned
The player housing video blew my mind completely.

I really hope this game is everything they say it is. As I said in the previous thread, I have not seen an MMO made by so many developers that are fans of the genre since Blizzard hired a bunch of EQ players to make WoW.

Psxphile

I've never been one to follow MMOs (I completely passed on PSO... I'm such a fool) but this one just seems so damn interesting. Still, I'd like it even more if it weren't an MMO. It also seems like it'd make a great Wakfu/Clone Wars-esque animated series. Two warring factions made up of multiple races/classes, science and magic co-existing (check out those Caster Gun-like magic pistols) and a charming, Pixar-lite aesthetic.

I guess what I'm saying is I'm more attracted to the world of Wildstar and everything that inhabits it than I am to its gameplay. A strange thing to admit in Gaming side, I know.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I hardly ever get hyped for a game, but I'm pumped to play my first MMO. Everything I hear about this game sounds really, really good.

Can't wait to get a NeoGAF guild going, too.

jon bones

Really hope this is F2P or at least buy to play.

i'm hoping it's B2P, not F2P or Sub. Sub is hard to do in a post-WOW world and it's hard to keep the riff raff out with f2p.

don't really trust NCsoft tho

why do you say that?

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/0...first-look-at-wildstars-high-low-and-housing/

The housing stuff is what probably interests me the most about this game.

yeah, same here. animal crossing style housing to the max.

Xiaoki

i'm hoping it's B2P, not F2P or Sub. Sub is hard to do in a post-WOW world and it's hard to keep the riff raff out with f2p.

MMOs that launch as buy to play or free to play usually announce they will very early on. MMOs that make no mention of payment model right up until beta usually launch as subscription.

Subscription MMOs can sell in a "post-WoW world" but they have to be quality.

jon bones

This game is going to fail dramatically.

why do you say that?

MMOs that launch as buy to play or free to play usually announce they will very early on. MMOs that make no mention of payment model right up until beta usually launch as subscription.

Subscription MMOs can sell in a "post-WoW world" but they have to be quality.

Hmmm, fair points all around. I guess we'll just have to wait and see

I like that these trailers are honest if nothing else. My brother's been bugging me a lot about this lately. I might give it a shot.

Also, if you want to see more art from the game: http://ettugamer.com/piwigo/index.php?/category/7758

Yeah, it's got two things in SERIOUSLY short supply concerning MMOs since 2008: honesty and confidence. Feel alot more at ease hearing them speak about what they can and cannot do than the naked bribery and hype training that usually greets a larger MMO launch. Expectations on both sides seem realistic, too.

TrickRoom

There seems to be a lot of self-awareness in the narrated trailers. Looks fun; makes me wonder why I didn't know of this sooner.

deleted

Looks really good, I love the dominion trailer and the way they have a race in there they will reveal later on.

The trailer looked absolutely great. Signed up for the beta with my press email.

I really do look forward to getting my hands on this.

jon bones

I still cant believe im sold on an MMO

dude, tell me about it. i went from mocking a whole genre to having one be the only game on my "most anticipated" list.

Looks really good, I love the dominion trailer and the way they have a race in there they will reveal later on.

If you want to know what that race is, I'm pretty sure THIS is it.

Every time new info about this game drops, it has my interest.

This new interview has some good info too.

CzarTim

Every time new info about this game drops, it has my interest.

This new interview has some good info too.

Yep. These guys aren't relying on the whole "WoW + gimmick" as a design philosophy. They are clearly retooling each system to fit modern sensibilities without taking away from what people like about MMOs.

NeededSleep

Player housing yes! Why dont other mmos ever focus on this instead of making it an empty promise.

Slightly interested in this mow. Just sad that ncsoft is associated. This is gonna be riddled with cash shops.

Azzurri

Beta has begun

it_beings03.jpg

I don't understand the hype for this, the gameplay looks like the same tired old action bar global cooldown tab target tripe.
These things are a dime a dozen.

There are a lot of mmos on the horizon with actual realtime combat that can at least hold a candle to something like monster hunter or maybe dynasty warriors.

The ol' everquest formula stems from a time where connections weren't good enough to support realtime combat (so they settled for pseudo realtime global cooldown number exchanging instead of actual hit detection and realtime combat.

It was never good to begin with, it was a compromise, shallow barely interactive gameplay, poor man's action game.
Time to move on and raise standards to combat would be acceptable in a singleplayer game.

avcables

Banned
I don't understand the hype for this, the gameplay looks like the same tired old action bar global cooldown tab target tripe.

There are a lot of mmos on the horizon with actual realtime combat that can at least hold a candle to something like monster hunter or maybe dynasty warriors.

The ol' everquest formula stems from a time where connections weren't good enough to support realtime combat (so they settled for pseudo realtime global cooldown number exchanging instead of actual hit detection and realtime combat.

It was never good to begin with, it was a compromise, shallow barely interactive gameplay, poor man's action game.
Time to move on and raise standards to combat would be acceptable in a singleplayer game.

I think it's more the production values that go into the title that spurs interest when it comes to MMO these days.

As far as the gameplay is concerned, it's already been geared more toward the action MMO that you praise and hold akin to Monster Hunter or "maybe dynasty warriors". Most MMOs seem to move moving in that direction and this is honestly no different if you watch any of the gameplay videos. WildStar will telegraph enemy attacks and take into account your movement and dodging to ample degree.

Of course, the 'tried and true' formula of hotbar attack sequences was, at one time, a perfect fit for this genre. Unfortunately it's grown stale. I would liken this setup as another Guild Wars 2 with small variations on the formula.

Beyond the stylized nature of WildStar drumming up interest, the highly touted social aspects that are derived from player housing and pathing is interesting. While as prevalent as housing is now, WildStar is looking to be the most ambitious with the depth of customization.

Who knows if it's going to deliver? As far as I'm concerned, the game has such a rich, warm feeling to it I've already gotten far more excited for it than most MMOs I've ever played. I've played everything from DAoC to EVE and the atmosphere that WildStar carries seems to be the most interesting in a long time.

A very small wave went out.

Did they actually clarify that? From what I noticed their site, PR, community mods, and Facebook haven't actually clarified as to how large this initial distribution was.

jon bones

oh man, i hope i get into beta

would have been a good post if the gameplay was actually tab target turn based stuff

Azzurri

Did they actually clarify that? From what I noticed their site, PR, community mods, and Facebook haven't actually clarified as to how large this initial distribution was.

I think they invited people with high end rigs, but I'm not sure.

I've also heard they are going to let in thousands of people within days and weeks.

No hype here, to me, the devs act as if they have a plan. A plan that doesn't sound like a "WoW-killer" cobbled together from player bribes and shaky game design Dogma.

Hype for MMOs only end in player tears and dev layoffs.

avcables

Banned
I think they invited people with high end rigs, but I'm not sure.

I've also heard they are going to let in thousands of people within days and weeks.

They didn't take beta applicants based on their rig. The application itself was 30 seconds of really basic information, nothing to consider high-end rigs. I imagine they'll continue to invite a ton of people. Just crazy that there literally hasn't been a word of anyone actually having access yet.

No hype here, to me, the devs act as if they have a plan. A plan that doesn't sound like a "WoW-killer" cobbled together from player bribes and shaky game design Dogma.

Hype for MMOs only end in player tears and dev layoffs.

That's perfectly fine. There are going to be an equal number of people who aren't excited about WildStar as there are the converse. To be frank, all devs act as if they have a plan. How the hell would you expect them to garner interest otherwise?

I'll agree that hype for MMOs tends to end in tears and disgust. But like I said, this game has an aesthetic quality and extremely apparent production values that are getting me pumped for it. Aion, Lineage II, and Guild Wars 2 are nothing to scoff at. They have an extremely well-proven track record for picking excellent titles to publish.

The fact that they were originally comprised of ten top-level WoW devs makes me confident they at least know what direction to take things in. I'll give them that. The rest I'll wait and see.

CzarTim

I kind of feel like the downturn in MMO quality has less to do with derivative design and more with poor execution on the systems put in place. Every genre has its fair share of "samey" design choices. The difference between a good and bad game is how much fun it is.

It looks like the Wildstar team understands this. Maybe it won't turn out well, but as long as the game is polished and fun, it will keep my interest.

PaulloDEC

I've never played an MMO, but between this and Firefall I'm kinda interested. I've always liked the idea of a huge, persistant world you can share with others, but equally I've always hated the lack of personality and the clicky-clicky passive combat.

This one has my interest. I may not end up playing it properly, but I'm definitely keen to give it a shot.

Top Bottom