• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Nintendo ever put a premium console out again?

Birdo

Banned
il_570xN.1182519690_itr6.jpg

Enjoy your 10fps drops and no split-screen multiplayer.

I can do this all day.

Rikoi

No, they are not interested in competing with playstation and xbox anymore on that front, as long as they keep pushing out great exclusives that's all they need to sell their console.
Yes it sucks for graphic enthusiasts but it's working extremely well for them.

teezzy

Banned
They make premium handhelds instead.

The Switch is a handheld with very console like features, not the other way around.

I adored everything from NES/ Game Boy to Wii U / 3DS.

Nintendo just isn't for me these days, and that's okay. Godspeed, Nintendo warriors.

Never say never. But frankly, they won’t do it unless they themselves have a design desire that requires proficient resources to achieve. And based on their output, that design philosophy hasn’t a need to adapt, despite some of their franchises who yearn for it being shelved (Metroid, Star Fox, etc.).

I’m ok with Nintendo not trying to win the graphics war, but their hardware and accessories should be higher quality considering what they charge for them. “Panel lottery” and “drift” shouldn’t be associated with products priced at a premium.

SirTerry-T

Snes was inferior on the cpu per, but iirc the genesis’ sound chip led to its own issues and its color palette was far more restrictive (which is visible when comparing a game like lion king)
No, the Megadrive/Genesis soundchip had no issues, it was just a different soundchip. Both chips had their pros and cons.

Astral Dog

I consider the Switch a PREMIUM handheld, but a TV only console? No i don't see Nintendo pushing their luck against Microsoft and Sony anytime soon

Last edited:

Jeeves

It doesn't fit into their strategy and it's not what most of their fans want. It was nice to see the Gamecube hardware being competitive with its contemporaries because hardware advancements were still meaningful back then.

Now? What's really the functional difference between the Switch when viewed as a home console compared to PS5 and XSX? Higher resolution and faster load times? Maybe more draw distance or something? These are nice, but they don't really change the types of experiences available to us. What would fundamentally change if they went this route is that they would become more risk-adverse due to higher development costs, resulting in fewer games and less surprising games, which is pretty much the opposite of what any fan wants. Also, any time something other than a tent pole franchise under-performs it could spell the end for that whole series due to higher financial loss.

It seems clear to me that these days the cons of cutting edge console hardware far outweigh the pros.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Its over folks. I am a nintendo life long fan. Subscribed to Nintendo power before it was even Nintendo power.

The age of cutting edge graphics is over. Just appreciate the gameplay innovations and polished nintendo style.

You never know what the future brings. Maybe they will team up with Sony or some other tech giant in the future.

Silvawuff

Having a powerful console isn't their market. It's mass appeal through pricing, with a drip feed of first party games supplemented with whatever between the long droughts of exclusives. I hope they learn their lesson with screen-scratch/drifting though and actually stress-test their hardware and components.

nordique

Given what the switch is, it was pretty impressive when it came out in 2017

a different kind of premium

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
No. In a weird way Nintendo's lack of powerful hardware has shaped their IP's designs. It focused their efforts on art style to make their character appealing. This has made being at the bleading edge of hardware unnecessary.

Basically this. Nintendo don’t need to be at the leading edge these days, especially as there are diminishing returns and smaller gaps in quality between generations. Games can look wonderful on the Switch, clever use of art styles can do wonders. See Mario Kart, Mario Odyssey and BOTW.

Rikkori

Nope. They own a very profitable niche and frankly they don't have the creative outlook for more high-octane game design. They'll go out of business before they switch. Imo Nintendo will follow in Atari's footsteps.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
No, they found their niche with the switch. They have more success giving gamers a system to accompany their ps/xbox rather than competing with them.

I bought a Switch because I have a PC and the Switch was something different. The PS and Xbox offered nothing vs the PC.

Algorum

Neo Member
I’m satisfied with how they’ve handled things on the Switch.

I have more than 400+ hours on the switch with Zelda, Animal Crossing, and Splatoon.

It’s online service is the only thing I seem to have gripes with.

BitDust

No chance they go back to the formula that split all their software resources. They reached their dream developing for a single platform. What they really need to do by 2021 is release a SwitchTV/PRO that can push around 4TF in a very small package, sharing the same library with the current Switch but with enough power to receive the upcoming 3rd party games like Fifa21 (not legacy) Assassin's Creed Valhalla/ Origins/Odyssey and so on. This way they can extend the console life span till the next Nintendo hybrid around 2024 where portable technology will reach new heights in an affordable way.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
I think the Switch is already a premium device. You get two consoles for the price of one, a superior handheld that outclasses everything that's come before and then some, with the option to make it a stationary that is slightly underpowered from its competitors.

Nintendos own library of games are fantastic with a consistent quality to them, they've designed their IPs around the hardware, with outstanding artstyle and innovative gameplay at the forefront, and it's payed off big time. They are doing numbers Sony and MS can only dream of.

And the indie and AA support it's been given is stellar as well. The overall third party support is solid, but I'd like it if more developers would create games specifically for the Switch hardware, like Astral Chain, than bringing over existing ports and downgrading them.

The Switch simply offers something unique that none of the competitors can offer, and no amount of power or raw tech can change that. That is premium value for me.

Dr Bass

Hobbyists have been able to rip the games and confirm it for themselves.

Here's Wipeout on Playstation 1

mz2jjkb.png

And Wipeout on N64

lxZqb6S.png

Yeah I seem to remember theoretical limits for PSX being 360k polys a second and n64 ending up around 150k a second. As a huge Nintendo fan I remember being disappointed with that back then. But I got both systems and dug them both a lot. I think you’re right personally. But the n64 could do more advanced rendering with the polys it had.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Nintendo has found their place. They’ve been delivering lovely, amazing games on low-cost (for console) hardware for generations now, and 2/3 times, it’s been an unprecedented, gangbusters success.

I was just saying how beautiful I found Animal Crossing, last night, and I say this as an Xbox One X 4K/HDR TV owner. Nintendo makes it work.

That said, if there were no such thing as gaming politics or sales or restrictions, I’d sure love to be playing a Zelda that looks like some of Rise or the Tomb Raider’s mind-blowingly gorgeous tombs. But that’s Zelda, and it still looks wonderful anyway. Most of Nintendo’s output doesn’t really scream as something that needs cutting-edge technology.

cireza

The only console they released that felt powerful and balanced is the Gamecube in my opinion.

Switch Lite feels like a decent handheld if you manage to ignore all the stuff that runs below native res with blur. And you get a shitty yellowish screen. That's how premium Nintendo gets nowadays.

They make premium handhelds instead.

The Switch is a handheld with very console like features, not the other way around.

I adored everything from NES/ Game Boy to Wii U / 3DS.

Nintendo just isn't for me these days, and that's okay. Godspeed, Nintendo warriors.

Exactly I feel like Switch is successor to Sony line of high end handhelds very unlike previous Nintendo offerings

Neil Young

Nope. They have created the ultimate business model where they can treat their consumers like shit, provide a sub par product, and still generate huge profits. Premium console? Shit, I'm still waiting for them to provide an actual update to the Switch's...well, anything really. Or maybe, just maybe do SOMETHING about the colossal shit show that is the E Shop. But I know they won't because that would cost money. And I also realize that I'm part of the problem as I keep buying their shit (but I think the Switch will be my last as I feel that 3rd party games have caught up to Nintendo's "quality" and surpassed them in many cases).

Nintendo could make a more premium Switch I suppose. It would be interesting to see an Nvidia GPU with D.L.S.S. in a Switch Pro or something.

kiphalfton

I really don’t care

Wanting a decent resolution and frame rate is fine and I can agree, but graphics =/=how fun a game is.

I can’t defend the sorry state of pokemon for example, but that’s less of an issuewith the switch and the cutting corners on gamefreak’s part.

Nothing wrong with wanting more than "decent" resolution and frame rate. How about "high" resolution and frame rate?

Don't be scared. It's okay to want more out of life and have standards.

Last edited:

SilverCelestial

Neo Member
The Switch simply offers something unique that none of the competitors can offer, and no amount of power or raw tech can change that. That is premium value for me.

I have to agree. What the Switch lacks in power it more than makes up for with it's other features.

For me, the best thing about the Switch is it's convenience. The ability to pick and play instantly with no boot times or lengthy updates, coupled with the fact I don't have to hog the family TV (or hole myself away in a seperate room to use a different TV) is a godsend. It means I can come home from work and sit with my family of an evening while still fitting in a bit of couch gaming. As a result, I have far more opportunity to actually play games than I would on the other consoles.

The Switch perfectly suits a large demographic of busy adults - itself a minor irony considering Ninty is often touted as a kids console.

Personally I hope Nintendo avoid the technological rat race and continue on the path of quality handhelds / hybrids to host their stellar IP.

Skelterz

By premium do you mean powerful? Because aside from the issue of joycon drift (which doesn't get everybody) The switch feels pretty premium to me.

Turns out nintendo is doing what it’s always done designing a machine for the 1st party offerings, Yeah sure when PS5 and XSX comes out will we get 3rd party stuff? Probably not, but you didn’t buy a switch to play Call of duty or Tomb raider anyway 🤣.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
It might happen, but only if all direct competition disappears.

Ritsumei2020

Report me for console warring
I think they wised up at some point. N64 was more powerful than PS1 and sold less. Gamecube was more powerful than PS2 and sold less. Wii was less powerful than PS360 and sold more. At this point they figured that they could sell more console with less power. Switch is likely to sell more than Xbox one, despite the power gap.

I mean, from a business point of view, its genius. They dont have to compete with much larger corporations like Microsoft for power, because they cannot win that battle. Instead they embraced their niche, and enjoyed solid results.

Top Bottom