• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will P.C. ever “replace” consoles?

diffusionx

Gold Member
Nobody recommends SLI anymore, it's just bling for rich nerds. Back then it was a very viable setup and the benefits were large. Every enthusiast site recommended it if you could afford it. Virtually nobody has SLI anymore, but it was more common back then. I, for example, had a Voodoo2 SLI setup. It was great, and one of my favorite game systems ever (PC or console).

No goalpost moving, high-end PC gaming has always been expensive, but nowadays, a good setup is very reasonably priced, whereas back then, if you didn't get Voodoo or maybe Riva TNT, you weren't buying very good hardware. Heck I can't even recommend the 2080 ti in good conscience, it's just not worth the price.

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member
I mean I have my PC for the higher end games and I use my switch for Nintendo Exclusives and Portability content, so not entirely.. Though I guess I do need to buy a PlayStation for FF7R so D. Final doesn't have a meltdown when that comes out

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Well, besides the Switch, I'm playing exclusively on my PC. The Xbone is redundant now that I've upgraded the rig, and the PS4 (Pro) doesn't get anymore love because of the fan noise. But I'll jump onboard the PS5 train nonetheless, as long as it's quiet. So no, I guess... not for me and not right now at least.

I came across this video which pretty much sums up this thread and the whole PC vs Console gamer mentality. Enjoy! :messenger_smirking:

Last edited:

Darius87

6 reasons why pc's can't replace console gaming:
  1. consoles allways have more value/perf then pc's, which means when you buying console at 399$ it will allways be more powerful then pc at that price.
  2. console will allways be more convenient then pc's which means less hurdles setting up, less instalations, less errors/crashes, less configurations, couch vs chair, tv vs monitor.
  3. console gaming is where's devs can get most profits which means more/better games to consoles aka exclussives.
  4. consoles are baseline spec for developing games which means better spec pc's are underutilized in multiplatform tittles except for resolution and fps increase.
  5. console markershare is larger then pc which means consoles are more popular in gaming.
  6. piracy on pc is big no no.
until pc can overcome these points i made it will be second option to console gaming, end of discussion.

sendit

6 reasons why pc's can't replace console gaming:
  1. consoles allways have more value/perf then pc's, which means when you buying console at 399$ it will allways be more powerful then pc at that price.
  2. console will allways be more convenient then pc's which means less hurdles setting up, less instalations, less errors/crashes, less configurations, couch vs chair, tv vs monitor.
  3. console gaming is where's devs can get most profits which means more/better games to consoles aka exclussives.
  4. consoles are baseline spec for developing games which means better spec pc's are underutilized in multiplatform tittles except for resolution and fps increase.
  5. console markershare is larger then pc which means consoles are more popular in gaming.
  6. piracy on pc is big no no.
until pc can overcome these points i made it will be second option to console gaming, end of discussion.

All valid points. However, If you want the best possible gaming experience. A PC is definitely the way to go, regardless of price.

Are you a gamer?

Last edited:

dano1

A Sheep
I think the better question would be with the advance of the new console will they slowly kill off the PC. Graphics and gameplay on the next systems are going to be very comparable to any PC under $1500.

I think the better question would be with the advance of the new console will they slowly kill off the PC. Graphics and gameplay on the next systems are going to be very comparable to any PC under $1500.

I'm waiting to see Ampere 7nm MSRPs next year. Make or break year for PC gaming.

dano1

A Sheep

I'm waiting to see Ampere 7nm MSRPs next year. Make or break year for PC gaming.

Should be a interesting year. My problem is I want the best of everything!PC power is very intriguing but I would dump so much money into it on the latest and greatest.
But my biggest problem with PC is I love shooters and there has always been so many cheaters for those. Maybe it’s better now.?

Last edited:

YvihFC2.jpg

This got me a nice chuckle this morning.

Top Bottom