• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Star Wars:ROS bomb?

They need to wait a few years and then reboot with Knights of the Old Republic. Just adapt the game's plot into the first movie complete with the revan twist in the third act. Also pay the Russo brothers whatever they want to do a trilogy and keep your executive's hands off.

Would be cool to have like 30 jedi and sith all fighting at once on screen in the second or third movie. The Russo's know how to nail spectacle.

Whether it’s following the game’s plot or not, I think The Old Republic, just one general, is the only direction for future SW films to go in.

Announce it in two years, tease it in three years, release it in 4-5 years

Last edited:

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Whether it’s following the game’s plot or not, I think The Old Republic, just one general, is the only direction for future SW films to go in.

Announce it in two years, tease it in three years, release it in 4-5 years

I want to see what’s going on in “present day Star Wars”

So far it’s always been a long time ago or a longer time ago. What about future Star Wars?

ManaByte

Gold Member
175 million.

Lower than TFA and TLJ couldnt even crack 200 million.

Unless legs are super amazing this is closer to a billion than 1.5 billion.

Oh and apparently its bombing in china so no yuen to save Disney.

There is no way Disney is not disappointed if this thing just crosses a billie. Its the end of the Skywalker saga it shouldn't struggle to pass 1.2 billion.

Second highest Christmas Day ever after The Force Awakens. Already crossed $500M.

Will cross $1 billion sometime next week.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Second highest Christmas Day ever after The Force Awakens. Already crossed $500M.

That's what positive word of mouth gets you. This is IN SPITE OF the critical drubbing it's gotten from Johnson fans... I mean professional film critics.

ManaByte

Gold Member
That's what positive word of mouth gets you. This is IN SPITE OF the critical drubbing it's gotten from Johnson fans... I mean professional film critics.

The THR article points out that every day from today through next weekend is like a Saturday. So it should hit $1 billion right before New Years at this rate, if not right after. And that is only after two weeks in theaters.

Fbh

I want to see what’s going on in “present day Star Wars”

So far it’s always been a long time ago or a longer time ago. What about future Star Wars?

Based on the creativity shown in this new trilogy I'm pretty sure that in "present day" Star War there's this shadowy bad guy with his good-guy-turned-bad masked apprentice who rule the galaxy through their evil empire with vast military superiority in the from of an army of storm troopers and planet destroying tech. But there's also a resistance that is short on equipment, funding and personnel, who are doing everything in their power to fight back.
But everything will change when a droid carrying some important information is found by a young new force sensitive hero who thanks to some guidance from heroes of the past as well as a wacky cast of sidekicks will bring down the evil empire once and for all (or until the next trilogy)

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
This makes me happy. I was worried it might really bomb then Disney would shelve the IP for years vs just retooling and making some staff changes.

That's not happening. They're announcing the director of the 2022 movie next month, and the one Feige is developing is already starting to staff up (I know someone working on it). There are also 4-5 D+ series in various stages of development.

gatti-man

That's not happening. They're announcing the director of the 2022 movie next month, and the one Feige is developing is already starting to staff up (I know someone working on it). There are also 4-5 D+ series in various stages of development.
Yeah I knew we would get the D+ stuff (it’s why I subscribe to D+) I was just talking about the big budget movie type content. I love the madelorian but Star Wars belongs on the big screen first and foremost (imo).

ManaByte

Gold Member
Yeah I knew we would get the D+ stuff (it’s why I subscribe to D+) I was just talking about the big budget movie type content. I love the madelorian but Star Wars belongs on the big screen first and foremost (imo).

They have dates set for 2022, 2024, and 2026 and they’re announcing the director of 2022 shortly:

InbpRt6.jpg

Jfc I wish they would just give SW a rest.

Yoda

They have dates set for 2022, 2024, and 2026 and they’re announcing the director of 2022 shortly:

InbpRt6.jpg

I'd take this with a grain of salt, this is more of a "investors, don't worry, the pipeline is loaded" vs. a concrete roadmap. NO more marvel movies after 2022?

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
I'd take this with a grain of salt, this is more of a "investors, don't worry, the pipeline is loaded" vs. a concrete roadmap. NO more marvel movies after 2022?

They announced the 2023 Marvel movies last month:

hGvsPMe.jpg

And this is a concrete roadmap. This is how they stake out release dates.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Ahh I see, I had assumed the list I quoted was up-to-date... Figured something was off.

First is from May, which is why the 2021 Marvel movies were "Untitled" because they didn't reveal them until July at SDCC.

Second is from November when they announced like 30+ Fox movies.

JLMC469

Banned
The movie was never going to flop. It is however going to make significantly less than TFA and less than TLJ.

Expect a 60-70% drop in this weekends numbers.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

dude i fuckin loved it

there were definitely some things they did that i wasnt too crazy about, but nothing movie breaking or even that bad

ive also loved all the SW films though, which i know is unheard of but i legit like all of them including attack of the clones and solo 🤷‍♂️

i think they did a fine job and im really looking forward to what they do next

Why? People like good Star Wars. I’m thrilled we get as much as we do even if it’s not the best.
Thing is It's all more of the same.

With some exception we've not been getting "good Star Wars."

Marvel can pull it off somewhat because it's a varied universe and even that gets stale.

Quality over quantity.

And we've all seen what's happened with the quality....

Last edited:

sol_bad

Any official word about Rian Johnson yet?

Jfc I wish they would just give SW a rest.

I don't understand this? For real Star Wars fans there has been never ending content in books and comics and fans have been dying for more film content. Anyone that laps up the EU content should/would be excited for more films. If you are someone that doesn't consume as much EU content as possible, the very fact is you aren't as hard core of a fan as you think.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned

Well its got a lot of ground to make up for its opening. China is doing shit to so the International gross is going to be a tough hill to climb. But DOM it may have went from worse than TLJ to as good or beating it, we will see. With it soft opening it needs to have these holiday numbers into the new year.

If it continues to do well then props to JJ and shows that RJ didn't really help the franchise with TLJ. But I still have my doubts.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Well its got a lot of ground to make up for its opening. China is doing shit to so the International gross is going to be a tough hill to climb. But DOM it may have went from worse than TLJ to as good or beating it, we will see. With it soft opening it needs to have these holiday numbers into the new year.

If it continues to do well then props to JJ and shows that RJ didn't really help the franchise with TLJ. But I still have my doubts.

Star Wars will never do well in China. The franchise (about a ragtag group of rebels overthrowing an oppressive empire) was banned from the country for nearly 40 years.

cryptoadam

Banned
Star Wars will never do well in China. The franchise (about a ragtag group of rebels overthrowing an oppressive empire) was banned from the country for nearly 40 years.

TFA made 124 million,

TLJ maded 42 Million

1.31 billion vs 700 Million. International gross. TLJ surely missed that sweet sweet Yuen.

ManaByte

Gold Member
TFA made 124 million,

TLJ maded 42 Million

1.31 billion vs 700 Million. International gross. TLJ surely missed that sweet sweet Yuen.

Ah I see what you're doing. Trying to move the goalposts so when TROS makes $1.2-1.5 billion it's a "bomb" because it didn't make as much money as the first Star Wars movie in a decade and the sequel to Return of the Jedi. By that logic, every future Star Wars movie is a bomb because none will ever have that perfect storm going for it that The Force Awakens did.

Any official word about Rian Johnson yet?

I don't understand this? For real Star Wars fans there has been never ending content in books and comics and fans have been dying for more film content. Anyone that laps up the EU content should/would be excited for more films. If you are someone that doesn't consume as much EU content as possible, the very fact is you aren't as hard core of a fan as you think.
The EU also weren't big budget films and the best of the EU were tons better than what we have now. Also no idpol stuff, etc.

cryptoadam

Banned
Ah I see what you're doing. Trying to move the goalposts so when TROS makes $1.2-1.5 billion it's a "bomb" because it didn't make as much money as the first Star Wars movie in a decade and the sequel to Return of the Jedi. By that logic, every future Star Wars movie is a bomb because none will ever have that perfect storm going for it that The Force Awakens did.

I think less than TLJ is a "bomb" in Disney's eyes. Above TLJ and it would be a succsess. Right now its opening was way worse, but maybe its get good WOM since it's Saturday bested TLJ's.

It needs out perform TLJ's 2nd/3rd/4th and so on weeks since it strarted out in a hole already.

And I am sure as far as China goes Disney thought it hit it big with TFA and would be able to get a lot of money off the franchise. Thats a big opening for China. But the drop from TFA to ROS has killed SW in China. Some movies only get made/sequels because of the money they make in China. This also means less chance of spin offs, merch, etc from the chinese market which will become the biggest one soon.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
apparently it's going to be doing better than TLJ.

maybe next week there will be a #boycottixforrian hashtag from SJW blue check types. wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
59% is what I’ve seen but a big drop either way.

TFA only dropped 40%, while TLJ dropped a massive 67.5%.

This is after RoS underperformed in its opening weekend. Not a bomb, but the franchise definitely needs some time off.
But.... But people here have told me SW doesn't need a break and that fans always want more SW.

Anyways yes fans do want more SW.... if it's good.

Pagusas

Elden Member
But.... But people here have told me SW doesn't need a break and that fans always want more SW.

Anyways yes fans do want more SW.... if it's good.

People want more of good stuff. Bad stuff makes people want less of things. There are exceptions but this isn’t one of them.

Winning fixes all problems, Disney just needs more consistent Star Wars wins.

gatti-man

cryptoadam

Banned
Well here we are, Jumanji is now making more money than Star Wars.

Its run is pretty much done, it might squeeze out a for more bucks but its close to being over.

TLJ 620 DOM, TROS is sitting at 483. It will most likely end at about 510-520. Could be lower and just barely be above 500. 100+ Million drop right there.

WW TLJ 1.3 Billion, TROS 1.02 Billion. TROS is NOT going to make more than TLJ WW as well. And in China SW is dead, China is the 2nd biggest and soon to be first biggest market. No way is TROS making 300 Million more. I see it topping off at 1.1-1.15 Bill.

RO made 532 DOM and 1.056 WW. Its pretty likely that DOM it will beat TROS and WW will be close but TROS will probably barely pass it.

Sure its strange to call a billion dollar movie a bomb, but its 100% a disappointment. There is no way Disney though the 3rd movie would be the lowest grossing, do less then a spin off, and that the Chinese market would be dead by the end of the series.

The simple fact that it did less than TLJ should say it all. SW, the end of the Saga, the RISE OF SKYWALKER, the magnus opum of 9 movies and 40 years of cinema goes out like a wet fart. Barely scraping past a billion is hardley what I think KK and Iger thought Episode 9 would be.

Relative to Star Wars I think its safe to say its a bomb. Sure its not Cats or Doliitle, but 1 Billion for the final movie in the saga is not good no matter how you want to spin it. Consider that Solo killed the spin offs, and China is dead this is not good for Disney.

It's not a bomb, but it is a disappointment I'm sure.

So where does the blame fall? I don't feel like Solo killed the brand. That bombed at the box office, but it was far too inoffensive to have killed the brand or swayed anyone.

I still feel TLJ did it. While TLJ made a lot of money, if you remove the loaded opening weekend, it performed a lot like Rogue One and not like TFA. Everyone went to see TLJ opening weekend because TFA built up that goodwill. A lot of people didn't go back for 2-3-4th viewings though.

I'm not sure what else would lead to this kind of burnout. China.. star wars has never been huge in China. Doubt that will ever change.

cryptoadam

Banned
Nice spin cryptoadam cryptoadam it's not a bomb.

No spin only facts.

Fact is it is going to make less than TLJ, probably a 20% decline.

Fact is that it will barely pass RO a spin off, and most likely make less at the DOM BO.

When using the term bomb, its not like a bomb like CATS or Doliitle, its relative to Star Wars whats supposed to be the biggest franchise in the world.

Its clearly a massive disapointment, relative to Star Wars its a bomb. making less money than transformers movies? Less than a spin off, less than the divisive second movie. The final chapter in a 9 part 40 year odyessey of cinema ends with a whimper.

When its all said and done Disney probably walks away with a small profit of 200 mill or so off the movie. 1.1 BO /50% is 550 million for Disney. Budget is estimated at 275, add in 125 for market. thats 400 million. That means Disney walks away with 150 Million or so profit of the 9th Star Wars movie.

Using the term bomb is semantics at this point. Its massivly underperformed and disapointed. And this is not counting that SW is dead in China. No way Disney the China cock suckers extrodinaire are happy that their 4 billion dollar franchise is dead in the 2nd and soon to be largest movie market in the world.

Top Bottom