• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Not like before though. I used it to search lastpass, and that no longer works at all. You can't specify which app to search apart from ie.

They need to bring in app specific search back, that was one of my favourite features.

Yeah, I misunderstood the kind of search you were talking about.

That is gone, but I think results from within apps will appear in the search everywhere results, probably they don't appear now because the apps have to be updated.

yeah it is only the active app, which is nice . Need to expand it to include all apps though.

Yes, they need to switch that back. The old way was better. I used that search feature with the Wikipedia app all the time.

Yeah that functionality appears to be missing (Don't know if that is by design or just this build). I was on a website the other day and opened search to look for an app in the store, thought I was going to be able to select Store from my search and then obviously it would load that search in the app. Can't do that.

Does anybody find Homegroups, across Win 7 and 8 to be patchy?

I think 50% of the time I have both my machines on they have trouble finding each other. It seems completely hit or miss as to whether the Homegroup will work or not.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Does anybody find Homegroups, across Win 7 and 8 to be patchy?

I think 50% of the time I have both my machines on they have trouble finding each other. It seems completely hit or miss as to whether the Homegroup will work or not.
yeah it is a little buggy. can't get the file history across homegroups to work at the moment. took me a few tries to get normal homegroup stuff to work too.

Windu

Are there any alternate metro browsers?
Chrome and firefox have metro modes i think. Don't think they are very good though. There is the google app though which essentially is a web browser and there is also uc browserhd, not sure how good it is though, it is pretty good on WP.

Totakeke

Anyone having problems with NextGen Reader lately? The open in browser button near the top right doesn't work most of the time.

Echoplx

What could be causing this? (the empty box)

Q8VCGDQ.png

derExperte

What could be causing this? (the empty box)

Q8VCGDQ.png

Don't know and while I don't have the white space there's a useless line under "Change folder...". Just the usual pre-release weirdness I guess. Maybe they're going to put something there that's still missing?

Spinluck

Posted this in the GAF-Tech Support Thread, was told I'm more likely to get help here.

Windows 8 issue here.

I've ignored it for quite some time.

I am able to access the Internet without a problem with most software. Web browsers, some games I think, and streaming music and videos. However Windows seems to always think it's offline, this began happening like 4 months ago- but I was so damn busy with College and work I gave up on trying to fix the damn thing. Since I've tried and tried to find solution via Google but I couldn't figure it out.

Because of it, I cannot access Windows Update or the Microsoft Store, and when I try to install certain things it gives me the notification window Windows Wireless Service is not running on this computer. Although, I'm able to sometimes click "run anyway" to install the desired software. If I recall correctly, there has even been an instance where I was prompted to verify my version of Windows... LOL... EDIT: I was still able to use it without much hassle, but it was very odd and really concerned me.

Some software that require Internet connections will work, while some do. It has gotten pretty annoying. And I've come to find that the Netflix App no longer works either :-(.

On a side not, funny story I went on Twitter and posted "Windows 8, what are you doing? Windows 8, stahp." And Windows Support's Official Twitter responded to me with "How can we help?".. and still wasn't able to help me.

Spinluck

Go to services (just type services into the windows search) and find "WLAN AutoConfig"

You can stop/start it but it should be set to automatic

Still no good, it was running and set to automatic.

I tried using Windows Update, and accessing the Windows Store (the two things I usually do to see whether or not the problems fixed). And still the same problem.

SPDIF

Still no good, it was running and set to automatic.

I tried using Windows Update, and accessing the Windows Store (the two things I usually do to see whether or not the problems fixed). And still the same problem.

Run "msconfig" (just type it in the search bar). Is the start up selection set to normal?

SPDIF

Yes it is.

WLAN AutoConfig also depends on two other services to run correctly. Check if "Remote Procedure Call (RPC)" and "Windows Connection Manager" are also running. They probably are since WLAN AutoConfig probably wouldn't even start if they weren't, but it's worth a shot.

Spinluck

A quick google returned this;

http://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/show/2112-fixing-your-wlan-autoconfig-service

Try running through the steps there.

I ran through steps a-d under number 1, and everything seems fine. I'm going to assume I have some really bad Malware or something and attempt the rest of the steps.

WLAN AutoConfig also depends on two other services to run correctly. Check if "Remote Procedure Call (RPC)" and "Windows Connection Manager" are also running. They probably are since WLAN AutoConfig probably wouldn't even start if they weren't, but it's worth a shot.

I saw that there were 2 (RPC) one was running the other was not, they both had different descriptions under them. I ran the one that wasn't running. Not sure if it did anything.

harSon

Banned
Had to rebuild my computer yesterday because I couldn't rectify the infinite auto repair loop x_x That's one area of Windows 8 I'm not fond of.

Anyone else use a Rocketfish Micro Bluetooth adapter and had problems getting it to work post 8.1?

Edit: Got it working, had to uninstall the drivers and reinstall twice before it popped back up.

tmdorsey

Ok, I need some serious help here. After trying to connect to my job's network through a Cisco VPN client, my laptop with the 8.1 preview on it will no longer connect to my wifi network. I've checked device manager and I see a lot yellow exclamation icons on some of the network adapter drivers and when I check the status I see a lot of Code 31 errors.

Any ideas on how to fix this or revert back to plain old 8?

derExperte

Ok, I need some serious help here. After trying to connect to my job's network through a Cisco VPN client, my laptop with the 8.1 preview on it will no longer connect to my wifi network. I've checked device manager and I see a lot yellow exclamation icons on some of the network adapter drivers and when I check the status I see a lot of Code 31 errors.

Any ideas on how to fix this or revert back to plain old 8?

Have you reinstalled everything network-related? Because drivers can get borked in strange ways by installting 8.1, had to redo a lot of stuff myself and while it may seem to be okay at first it might not. That said I really wouldn't put beta software on a machine you use for work and connect to something important. Who knows what can happen.

hadareud

The Translator
I haven't found any answers anywhere on the internets about this (maybe I'm not very good at searching), so I'll ask here:

Is there any way to edit the dictionaries in W8.1? I really like the predictive text, but I'm extremely annoyed that swearwords are automatically changed.

Who the hell uses words like "bullocks" and "ducked"?

I know how to add words to the dictionary, but it won't let you add swearwords. It's absolutely ridiculous, wtf Microsoft.

Self updating metro apps are the shit! Wish regular desktop apps could do that too.

It would be nice if they got somehow annotated (perhaps like the new annotation in the all apps view) to mark it has been updated since you last opened them.

Another thing: Is it possible to separate desktop apps from metro when using the date installed sorting on all apps view?

Symphonic

Ugh the new search is so unstable for me. Like half the time it totally freezes the entire computer and I have to restart. Shame because I love it.

Ugh the new search is so unstable for me. Like half the time it totally freezes the entire computer and I have to restart. Shame because I love it.

I'm having huge issues with windows index search too... Any time I plug a usb storage device, or try to use a file that's on my SD card the WIS goes nuts and starts using all the processor available (it's extra weird because none of those locations are set to be indexed), and then the search stops working, and no icon/thumbnail is shown for any file or folder.

That only started last week for me, not sure exactly when, but i only started noticing it after the last week's updates were installed.

they just demoed Miracast streaming at WPC from Surface to X1. Awesome!

Sweet. They need to support Miracast from Phones to X1 as well. And I think miracast from X1 to 8.1/Smartglass would also be awesome (would be neat to be able to play without using your TV if its busy)

tmdorsey

Have you reinstalled everything network-related? Because drivers can get borked in strange ways by installting 8.1, had to redo a lot of stuff myself and while it may seem to be okay at first it might not. That said I really wouldn't put beta software on a machine you use for work and connect to something important. Who knows what can happen.

I only tried a repair of the drivers for the wireless adapter as the ethernet adapter seems fine.

Luckly this isn't my main work machine and Ethernet seems to work fine. So weird as it was working fine earlier in the day. I guess the Cisco VPN client really screwed it up. If worse comes to worse, I can just blow everything out and reinstall again.

I need help. Windows 8.1 is borked for me. When the computer starts, it says "other accounts" and prompts me to login with a valid account. I then login with my Microsoft Account, but the computer harasses me to verify the account and enter my most recent password. I follow the prompt to this screen, but the verify link does nothing.
V36ZRtE.png

Any idea where it should take me or what I should do? Most of my Metro apps are now broken, such as the Store.

The integrated search in 8.1 gives me way way way better results than doing the same search on Bing website... Not that I'm complaining, but is there any reason for this?

Windu

The integrated search in 8.1 gives me way way way better results than doing the same search on Bing website... Not that I'm complaining, but is there any reason for this?
are you logged in when searching the web? only thing i can think of is personalized searches.

are you logged in when searching the web? only thing i can think of is personalized searches.

Yes, though in the w8.1 search, I chose to let them use my profile, but not my location... From the website I constantly get local (Brazilian) results even when I try to search for American stuff, like shows, movies and games... But that is also weird, because I get better results for local searches within the integrated search too XD

Top Bottom