• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

jsrv

When you update to Win 8.1 do they give you an 8.1 key that you can use to download the ISO? How do I check mine? (Win 8 keys don't work in the MS site to download the ISO, I'm guessing they require an 8.1 key)

Ah, no luck, apparently the installer is bugged, so if you've run the Windows 8 one in the past, it will always create that iso rather than the 8.1 one. And when I delete that and run it fresh, it doesn't accept my serial number.

Okay, so I was thinking about this, and thought 'hmm, if these two installers tread on each others toes like that, perhaps I can use it to my advantage'. So basically, I figured out how to trick it into authenticating the download for 8, but downloading the iso for 8.1.

1. Download both the 8 and the 8.1 installers from here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only

2. (Possibly optional, but it's what I did) Run the 8.1 one, let it go through it's initial setup, and close it once it asks for a key.

3. Run the 8 one, enter your legitimate Windows 8 key, and proceed until you reach the point where it starts downloading.

4. Immediately close the 8 installer and run the 8.1 one again. It should skip past the authentication stuff and go straight to the download process.

5. It should download the 8.1 iso, which you can install at your leisure. The only slight problem is that you can't use your 8 key to install it, so you'll have to use a default key to install (see below) and change it to your legitimate one once you get into Windows.

Default 8.1 keys courtesy of Xyphie's post:
Core: 334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT
Professional: XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB

I make no guarantees, but this worked for me and I've just successfully installed and activated a clean install of 8.1 with an 8 key.

Echoplx

Bit bored and was having some issues with 8.1 so I decided to test out a full fresh 8.1 clean install (well clean as in a fresh clean install of Windows 8 to fresh install of Windows 8.1), I had just replaced my storage drive so don't mind the loss of data from a clean install as it wasn't much.

A fresh install on Windows 8 starts with this before it brings up the Windows 8.1 upgrade in the store..
Kik08nu.jpg

This is ridiculous, why would they make it such a massive pain just to do a clean install of 8.1? Fucking microsoft.

Baleoce

I'm trying to update from Windows 8.1 preview to Windows 8.1 (I know that I'll have to reinstall all of my desktop and metro apps, it's cool, I didn't read the fineprint).

But after I downloaded the update from the Windows Store, it just says "we couldn't update the system reserved partition".

Whatmore, it then forces me to redownload the whole update. I looked up the problem on some other forums and supposedly it has something to do with my BDE System partition.

ibc9DKvO3aGeol.png

I heard it needs at least 100MB, and the partition size is 300MB as you can see. I know there's less than that free, but how do I go about freeing that up? I was hesitant to just blindly format it incase that information is needed, and I'm just assuming that this is the problem.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
I haven't been able to update on my desktop... this is my second full (got rid of old download) attempt to do so and I keep getting the same error code: 0x80070714. Its really bumming me out right now.

EDIT: I have I Core i7 with 32 GB RAM and 80 GB free on my SSD (+ a secondary 2TB drive). I shutdown any applications that were running and made sure I had all required updates prior to installation. I also have restarted with no success either. I've never felt this way but maybe this is MS implying that Windows 8.1 is only made for tablets.

My tablet installed just fine (Atom-based) on its first try albeit really slowly. I'm giving it some time to calm down as it was really choppy on the start screen (used to be extremely smooth) and Task manager keeps showing CPU spikes hitting 90% utilization... something I never used to see on my tablet.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Xbox Music still needs work. The interface is fine now, but I'm not sure why some icons of my albums have the streaming symbol when I have already downloaded the song in my library or have the cloub+refresh symbol.

Posts after I do a clean Windows 8, then 65 Windows updates to Windows 8.1 upgrade!.

Dam you!.

Haha, I'm not even sure it'll work for anyone else. If I was being diligent, I'd try it again to be sure the steps are right, but I don't have the energy or the time as it's 2:30am here! Hopefully it'll help somebody out...

Echoplx

Haha, I'm not even sure it'll work for anyone else. If I was being diligent, I'd try it again to be sure the steps are right, but I don't have the energy or the time as it's 2:30am here! Hopefully it'll help somebody out...

It seems to be working but I won't be able to confirm until the download finishes. Thanks for the tip.

Echoplx

I can confirm this is working for me, doing a clean 8.1 install now, thanks man!

I installed Win 8.1 over my installation of 8 in my Samsung laptop, and the process seemed to go smoothly, but now it has a problem maintaining the connection to my Wi-Fi signal and I have to stop and restart wireless every time it stops working. It never happened in 8. Has anyone gotten this problem?

Been using the Windows 8.1 preview since it came out. Can someone remind me of the process of "upgrading" to the final release version? Do I need to back up my hard drive before doing so? Or is it just an automatic upgrade?

Thanks!

Anyway to get the update to manually pop up on the Store? Still isn't showing on this Surface RT.

Ran the wsreset.exe to reset the cache in the Store and it still didn't help.

Help!

The Cowboy

I make no guarantees, but this worked for me and I've just successfully installed and activated a clean install of 8.1 with an 8 key.

Worked like a charm for me, was able to download the 8.1iso without issue and all seem well with using it.
---
Edit.
Just to add more to this, this worked perfectly with my Windows 8 upgrade key (the cheap £25 Windows 7 upgrade).

I did what was posted to create the Windows 8.1.iso and then burned it to a DVD and booted off it, I entered the default 8.1 pro key and did a complete clean install (deleted partition etc) - it went a heck of a lot faster than the 8.1 store upgrade (It was around 5/10 minutes). As soon as I got into Windows, I simply did the Win+R Slui 3 thing and entered my Windows 8 upgrade key and it instantly activated.

Very nice - good to know I now have an easy Windows 8.1 restore system.

Goldenhen

I haven't been able to update on my desktop... this is my second full (got rid of old download) attempt to do so and I keep getting the same error code: 0x80070714. Its really bumming me out right now.

EDIT: I have I Core i7 with 32 GB RAM and 80 GB free on my SSD (+ a secondary 2TB drive). I shutdown any applications that were running and made sure I had all required updates prior to installation. I also have restarted with no success either. I've never felt this way but maybe this is MS implying that Windows 8.1 is only made for tablets.

My tablet installed just fine (Atom-based) on its first try albeit really slowly. I'm giving it some time to calm down as it was really choppy on the start screen (used to be extremely smooth) and Task manager keeps showing CPU spikes hitting 90% utilization... something I never used to see on my tablet.

Hello did you relocated your User folder and Program Folder C drive to your secondary HDD?

If so then it won't work at all since Microsoft doesn't support it fully.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ndows-81/84310e8a-edd3-48d7-af31-0b09666b0c74

I have this setup and it won't let me install so I have to do format my C drive and do clean install using from Windows 8.1 ISO.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Hello did you relocated your User folder and Program Folder C drive to your secondary HDD?

If so then it won't work at all since Microsoft doesn't support it fully.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ndows-81/84310e8a-edd3-48d7-af31-0b09666b0c74

I have this setup and it won't let me install so I have to do format my C drive and do clean install using from Windows 8.1 ISO.

First, thanks for responding.

This doesn't seem to be my problem though. The windows 8 installation I currently have was a fresh install and I never did anything funny with it. All my system files are still in the main partition and my secondary drive is a pure data drive where I just store VM images and Sql data files.

In all honesty, I wish I would get an error that specific. All I get is the error code 0x80070714 which I can only find stuff relating to mostly pervious versions of windows and seems to mean something different with each version.

I am so bummed out by this because this is the first real problem I've ever had with windows 8 and it comes at the had of this metro installation process that essentially leaves me feeling isolated and unable to do anything about my situation.

I wish I was a part of press and had a twitter account I could complain on so that MS would care because I literally have no one to turn to.

Doing a refresh. No idea if that will help.

Edit: fuck this

More edits: don't know what else I can do, this Surface is stuck on the preview.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure why I have to keep doing administrator approvals. Also my Xbox Music library folders are messed up. I can't download anything because it says there is not path.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Is it just me or is IE metro really messed up now? 90% of the time it won't load a link in a new tab unless I choose another tab... just keeps showing about: blank

To clarify my request, here's what Microsoft says about the update process.

"You can download the update for free from the Windows Store. You'll be able to keep your personal files, but you'll need to reinstall your apps. Make sure you have any original installation media that might be required for apps that were not installed from the Windows Store."

By apps I assume it mean files so everything that isn't a Metro app? Just backup my hard drive to an external one, update, and then copy everything back over? Just a bit confused by their terminology "desktop apps"

Groof

Apparently, who has drivers from Steelseries or Logitech should uninstall them before updating. Gonna try again later.

Shouldn't this be like 95% of the populace? Guess I'll try that as well after I try a regular Windows update again...

hadareud

The Translator
Xbox Music still needs work. The interface is fine now, but I'm not sure why some icons of my albums have the streaming symbol when I have already downloaded the song in my library or have the cloub+refresh symbol.

It's just a matter of time before it catches up to Zune. 2, 3 years time.

I'm looking forward to it.

I'm not looking forward to them ditching it and starting from scratch again as soon as it happens.

hwalker84

Doing a refresh. No idea if that will help.

Edit: fuck this

More edits: don't know what else I can do, this Surface is stuck on the preview.

Yep same here. Complete refresh of my Surface RT. Update wont even try anymore.

Home PC is on Windows 8 Enterprise which Microsoft hasn't released the update yet for it. You can completely reinstall from the iso though..... :( I deal with this shit all day at work. I'm trying to turn on work mode while at home.

Well, I just had fun upgrading the laptop from 8.1 Preview to 8.1 RTM. Had to edit the iso to do the upgrade trick, throw in the default cd key for 8.1. Then to change the CD key I had to had to go to Add Features and give it an 8 Pro CD Key.

An annoying amount of steps, but hey, it beats reinstalling everything.

Mr_Zombie

Well, I just had fun upgrading the laptop from 8.1 Preview to 8.1 RTM. Had to edit the iso to do the upgrade trick, throw in the default cd key for 8.1. Then to change the CD key I had to had to go to Add Features and give it an 8 Pro CD Key.

An annoying amount of steps, but hey, it beats reinstalling everything.

Did you previously install 8.1 Preview from Store or from an ISO?

My laptop updated fine.

My desktop however is another story.

After logging in it goes to a black screen and shows the mouse cursor but nothing else loads. This happen to anyone else?

Yes, this happen to me. I reboot it couple times and it revert back to 8. Some people stuck at this screen and won't revert back.

I try to install 8.1 a few more times but it usually get stuck when reboot and eventually it would revert back to 8. I get this error 0xCM00101-0x4017 and so far there seems to be no solution from Microsoft.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
All of this complaining about having trouble updating.....mine went super smooth on both machines. Hour each for both, guess i was lucky.
Is it just me or is IE metro really messed up now? 90% of the time it won't load a link in a new tab unless I choose another tab... just keeps showing about: blank
Is this a link from neogaf? gaf has problems with the new IE. It is something to do with that service gaf uses to get more money when people hit links. Been happening since the preview.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
My laptop , which was on preview installed fine as did the Surface RT. My desktop has been weird though. Admin problems, Xbox Music is screwey. I think I may reset to factory.

Guri

Shouldn't this be like 95% of the populace? Guess I'll try that as well after I try a regular Windows update again...

It actually worked for me!

So, people who have Steelseries or Logitech drivers, uninstall them or wait for an update before going to 8.1!

Groof

It actually worked for me!

So, people who have Steelseries or Logitech drivers, uninstall them or wait for an update before going to 8.1!

Yeah, I went to the Steelseries website to check for their drivers, and it says they're not compatible with 8.1, take that how you will.
It did work for me after I uninstalled them, but I also had some issues with Windows Update that seemed to be getting in the way as well, so I can't place exactly what was causing the most ire.

Did you previously install 8.1 Preview from Store or from an ISO?

I upgraded my Laptop to the preview back in july using the Store Upgrade. For this, I had an Iso sitting around of the RTM from when I did my desktop. Just duplicated it, edited it and threw it on my laptop.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Windows 8.1 reverted my start screen icon DPI to normal, and now charms>Change PC Settings>PC & Devices>Display only has smaller and default.

How can I fix this? Larger DPI made Windows 8.1 the superior choice for HTPC OSes.

Enjoying the other changes so far.

Husker86

Is there a keyboard shortcut to put monitors on standby? I have 3 and I'd like to stop having to turn them all on/off all the time.

Ok, so I spent a few hours on this today. It lets you launch the start screen, navigate around the menu and launch an app. It also lets you close apps, bring up the charms bar and start the on-screen keyboard. You can also control the mouse (although I should say this is still pretty rough around the edges), as well as perform left and right clicks.

It's obviously not as smooth to use as a normal mouse and keyboard, or touchscreen, but by combining all of the features listed above, it should allow you to control your PC and someapps with your 360 controller.

Controls:

Code:
Start button = Launch start screen
Left stick/D-pad = Navigation
A button = Launch currently highlighted app
Back button = Close current app
B button = Backspace / navigate back in some apps
Y button = Bring up charms bar
Left trigger = Left click
Right trigger = Right click
Right stick = Move cursor
Left bumper + Right stick = Move cursor at a faster rate.
Right stick click = Bring up on-screen keyboard. Click again to close
Right bumper (hold for 2 seconds) = Disable controller. Repeat to re-enable.

If anyone wants to try it, the download link is here: https://mega.co.nz/#!FRwgAQjZ!Fb5zPXxWMJbbqpbOjOEflBSmLEMdI9583h2HNMuILQQ

It will install itself as a regular program. By default, it auto starts at logon where it'll sit in the system tray.

cwj2.png

Finally, you'll likely get a warning when trying to download/execute the file, but that's just because it's a completely new, unsigned file. It's obviously perfectly safe.

Love this!

Top Bottom