• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

sangreal

so I noticed I had a bunch of metro apps with updates (not that I ever use them)... but is there a way to see what is actually changed in the update like with ios/android stores?

MCD

so I noticed I had a bunch of metro apps with updates (not that I ever use them)... but is there a way to see what is actually changed in the update like with ios/android stores?

Click on an app and view details. It should be noted in the details tab but some devs don't include changelogs.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
if you just select one there will be a details button on the bottom of the update page.

Pooya

yeah, right click, pick detail from the app menu on the bottom of the screen.

edit: beaten beaten

clav

lol

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=36402178#post36402178

81Kdn.png

JaggedSac

I am curious about something. I have myself and my fiancee set up as users on my Surface. I have noticed that apps that she installs that I have already installed appear to actually be downloading them. Is this the case? Does each user have an instance of each app installed? Or should I be setting her up in the Store with my account? I have noticed that she has to install updates on the apps as well, even for the MS ones. Can someone clear this up for me?

dLMN8R

I am curious about something. I have myself and my fiancee set up as users on my Surface. I have noticed that apps that she installs that I have already installed appear to actually be downloading them. Is this the case? Does each user have an instance of each app installed? Or should I be setting her up in the Store with my account? I have noticed that she has to install updates on the apps as well, even for the MS ones. Can someone clear this up for me?

It might have to re-download the app in case the download cache was wiped, but in the end there should only be one copy of each app installed. The download cache will eventually be wiped to save space.

JaggedSac

It might have to re-download the app in case the download cache was wiped, but in the end there should only be one copy of each app installed. The download cache will eventually be wiped to save space.

Interesting. Why wouldn't it add it to the all apps list though, after I downloaded it? And what about updates too? Why would she need to re-download the updates too? Just curious because I would like to have the optimal setup and wasn't sure if I had inadvertently not set her Store downloading up correctly.

dLMN8R

Interesting. Why wouldn't it add it to the all apps list though, after I downloaded it? And what about updates too? Why would she need to re-download the updates too? Just curious because I would like to have the optimal setup and wasn't sure if I had inadvertently not set her Store downloading up correctly.

Apps are completely per-user. Not every user needs to same apps installed, cluttering up the start screen. If one person installs an update but another person doesn't, two versions of the app are maintained until both users have updated.

It's not ideal, but that's the way it works in Windows 8.

maeh2k

Question about remote desktop software.

My aunt has a Win 7 machine in her home office that connects to a server via the internet. She asked me if it was possible to work on her Windows 8 (Pro) notebook within the same network (so she wouldn't always be confined to the home office).

One obvious solution would be to run the same software on the notebook that runs on the desktop, but that's not something I could simply do (licensing, configuration, ...)

Now I'm wondering if a remote desktop solution might work (I'm not at all familiar with those), if it would be easy to use once configured, and it would perform well enough within a wi-fi network to use it for a long period of time (as in close-to-local experience).
If that is a good option, I'd also welcome software recommendations.

Any alternatives I'm missing? (There's no way to add a remote screen/mouse/keyboard to the desktop or anything, is there?)

JaggedSac

Apps are completely per-user. Not every user needs to same apps installed, cluttering up the start screen. If one person installs an update but another person doesn't, two versions of the app are maintained until both users have updated.

It's not ideal, but that's the way it works in Windows 8.

Thanks man. Nice to know they consolidate once they are on the same version.

surly

Banned
Does anyone know a solution to this?: -

I use an old version of Adobe Audition, which is multitrack recording software. It runs great on Windows 8 (better than on 7 in some respects), except I can't drag and drop audio files directly into it. The mouse pointer changes, so it looks like it's going to work, but when I release the mouse button nothing happens. Running Audition as administrator makes no difference.

There's a registry key that you can change the value of to completely disable User Account Control. I did this and drag and drop then worked in Audition, but of course Metro apps won't work with UAC off so this isn't a great solution.

Is there anything I can do to fix this?

oh boy, the verge

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/8/3852252/microsoft-windows-8-60-million-licenses

The number includes sales to OEMs for PCs and upgrades, according to Microsoft — meaning it isn't a true reflection of exactly how many people are using Windows 8 right now.

However, Microsoft has heavily discounted Windows 8 upgrades this time around, meaning it's likely many more users are taking the plunge sooner rather than waiting for the price promotion to end.

Windows 8 license sales appear to be going steadily, but the PC market still hasn't witnessed the typical boost that a new release of Windows usually provides.

What is wrong with them.

"Hey windows 8 sells allright, BUT DONT WORRY GUYS IT DOES NOT MEAN ANYTHING! IN REALITY WINDOWS 8 FLOPS!"

Edit:

And the article is written by tom warren, their microsoft guy.

dLMN8R

well they are right, license sales do not equal total users.

The exact same thing was true with Windows 7, right down to the promotions that let you get it for pretty cheap (though admittedly not *as* cheap as Windows 8, but $40/50? Easily)

Zizbuka

Banned
I'm having an annoying problem with Win8 on my desktop. If I restart, it will freeze on the spinning dots at the blue screen. I have to actually shutdown and power back on, or it will never start.

Luckily I don't restart very often, but it's annoying because I always forget and have to hold the power button to hard power off. Apparently others have this issue, one potential fix was to disable fast startup but that didn't help.

A nice reminder:

Microsoft seems very confident about Windows 8:

Microsoft: 400 Million+ Windows 8 Devices in 9 Months, 100,000+ Apps in 90 Days

First, the app count. Critics have recently pointed out that Windows Store, the online marketplace for Windows 8, has thus far seen slow app delivery, with just a few thousands apps, most of which are low quality, so far. But that’s going to change. “We’re expecting to aggressively pursue [delivering] 100,000+ apps [to Windows 8’s online marketplace] over the first three months,” Microsoft vice president Keith Lorizio told Beet.tv in a video interview.

As for Windows 8 and its ARM-based brother, Windows RT, Lorizio says the systems will sell much more quickly than its PC-based predecessor, Windows 7. “When Windows 8 goes live on October 26, the [size of the market] is [over] one billion consumers. Our goal … is conservatively over 400 million units in the marketplace by July 1.”

That’s just 9 months for those of you counting fingers, which would set Windows 8/RT on a pace to sell over 530 million units of the new OS in its first year. With PC sales stuck in the 365 to 375 million range for the past few years, you may be wondering how Microsoft intends to hit that lofty target. It’s simple, Lorizio explains: Microsoft is targeting consumers with these releases, not just businesses.

“Windows 8 is going to be really special experience,” he says. “Prior to now … we never had the operating system engaged in that [consumer-oriented] ecosystem. Now, with Windows 8, it’s not just pivoting around productivity, which every Windows release has been known for, we’re now going to pivot off the consumer.”

“There are three things that [will] make Windows 8 a guaranteed success,” he added. “It’s the massive marketplace [of PC users], it’s about providing the same experiences across all devices in the Microsoft family, not just across the PC, but across mobile, across Xbox, and across the phone. And third, we’re going to have beautiful, relevant and personal ads. So all of the ads are going to be integrated, they’re not going to be disruptive to the user experience, but beautiful, relevant and useful.”

http://www.winsupersite.com/article...8-devices-9-months-100000-apps-90-days-144446

How I see it:

vice president + sales and marketing =

4P1N7.jpg

"Windows Store fails to meet goals, Microsoft is going down, Steve Ballmer should step back as CEO"

Topolsky, hire me!

Hi, please help me with my upgrade query!

I'm currently on 32bit Vista and I'd like to upgrade to 64bit Windows 8. I've purchased Windows 8 Pro retail which comes with both 32 and 64bit versions of Windows 8, but the installer refuses to let me move from 32bit Vista to 64bit Windows 8. Is there any way on making this jump from 32 to 64bit? I've read that I could install a fake 64bit Windows to use as a base template to upgrade to 64bit Windows 8, but is such trickery covered by my Windows 8 Pro licence key, which is only for upgrade purposes?

Thanks!

Jobiensis

Hi, please help me with my upgrade query!

I'm currently on 32bit Vista and I'd like to upgrade to 64bit Windows 8. I've purchased Windows 8 Pro retail which comes with both 32 and 64bit versions of Windows 8, but the installer refuses to let me move from 32bit Vista to 64bit Windows 8. Is there any way on making this jump from 32 to 64bit? I've read that I could install a fake 64bit Windows to use as a base template to upgrade to 64bit Windows 8, but is such trickery covered by my Windows 8 Pro licence key, which is only for upgrade purposes?

Thanks!

You could try installing the 64 bit Win8 preview version. Not sure about the exact details, but I was able to use the upgrade on a Win8 preview.

You could try installing the 64 bit Win8 preview version. Not sure about the exact details, but I was able to use the upgrade on a Win8 preview.
Ah, so then I can first install Win8 preview on a fresh HDD and then use my Windows 8 Pro upgrade disc to install the full version?

So how does the licence key situation work in this case? Does that mean my Windows 8 Pro licence is actually a full licence and not just an upgrade licence (i.e. needs to write over my Vista key)? So I get to keep my old Vista licence and have a nice new Windows 8 licence as well? Thanks for the advice.

Jobiensis

Ah, so then I can first install Win8 preview on a fresh HDD and then use my Windows 8 Pro upgrade disc to install the full version?

Yes, I doesn't seem like it should work, but it did.

So how does the licence key situation work in this case? Does that mean my Windows 8 Pro licence is actually a full licence and not just an upgrade licence (i.e. needs to write over my Vista key)? So I get to keep my old Vista licence and have a nice new Windows 8 licence as well? Thanks for the advice.

Technically you upgraded the Win8 preview, not Vista. Not sure how Microsoft feels about it and IANAL.

Another alternative is to just install the 64 bit version Vista and upgrade that.

All of these options will require you to reinstall your apps.

So I got this lightly used penabled laptop. It didn't have an OS so I got Windows 8 Pro cause it was so cheap. For anything that uses a mouse and keyboard this OS is well... obtuse. This is also the first MS OS that comes pre-installed with a bunch of garbage I don't want or need. I think it is headed in the right direction for tablets but, completely backwards for a laptop or desktop. I mean the simple fact that it doesn't go directly to the log in screen is only making things more difficult, less productive and, more time consuming. I have my windows 7 desktop setup a lot like my Mac desktop with the software I use 99% of the time right on the task bar. I just make one click and I'm running my software, is there not a way to do this with Windows 8?

I don't mean to sound like a hater, I don't hate windows 8, so far I'm just not a fan on it on my laptop right now. And no, I'm not going to learn a bunch of shortcuts keyboard shortcuts and pretend it's a better way.

Alx

As far as I know, you can still pin your favorite applications to the desktop taskbar, just like 7. The most simple way to do it is launch it once, then right click on its button in the taskbar and select "pin", IIRC.

maeh2k

My sister has a new Dell with an AMD gpu in addition to the Intel HD 4000. Seems like when I leave it running for some time so that the display gets shut off, the screen just stays black when I try to wake it. Then when I close the lid (-> sleep) and reopen it, it's back to normal.

Anyone ever had this issue? Any specific configuration I should change? Maybe I'll have to check if there are newer drivers than the ones listed on the Dell website.

Link Man

Banned
If you haven't already, you may want to disable your lock screen. I just had a hectic time with a lock screen that wouldn't respond to keyboard or mouse clicks, rendering the entirety of the OS unavailable. I'm really not sure what fixed it, but I have the lock screen disabled now.

Instructions on how to do so.

If you haven't already, you may want to disable your lock screen. I just had a hectic time with a lock screen that wouldn't respond to keyboard or mouse clicks, rendering the entirety of the OS unavailable. I'm really not sure what fixed it, but I have the lock screen disabled now.

Instructions on how to do so.

I had that happen as well during the Consumer Preview. Since RTM, I don't think it's happened to me.

railGUN

Banned
Question: If you have a desktop running Windows 8 and a Surface RT, and you purchase an app on the desktop, is that app also then available to use for the Surface? And would that app also be available for a W8 phone, should you have one?

MrBig

Question: If you have a desktop running Windows 8 and a Surface RT, and you purchase an app on the desktop, is that app also then available to use for the Surface? And would that app also be available for a W8 phone, should you have one?

If the surface and pc are using the same MS account, yes. W8P uses a different store though, I believe.

So, just got done taking some notes in the OneNote Metro app this morning. The Office team has made a great metro app, the Bing team has been a number of very good apps, yet the default Windows apps remain pretty average.

I really hope the Windows team is hard at work on improvements to their apps.

Top Bottom