• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sec0nd

I'd really want a Windows Phone but they are really lagging here in in Europe. I assume that by the time the 920 is over here, a new and vastly superior mobile will be due to launch in the States. I really don't like buying a weak cell when there is a better option out there.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
GUYS this is IMPORTANT.

I'm debating this as well, and I'll probably pull the trigger as soon as I verify that my price won't go up. Things to consider:

-How much data have you been using month to month? AT&T has a great tool on their site that you can use

-Sure, we have unlimited data, but if I'm throttled after 5GB anyway, what's the upside?

-Tethering is pretty darn sweet and useful in the clutch.

My only concern at this point is AT&T raising the prices within the next year or two, screwing me over. Otherwise, I think it's a debate between how much you would need OVER 5GB of data vs how much you could use tethering. If you have a wifi tablet, like I do, it may be even better for when you want to take your tablet with you on the road.

Edit: Also, great job Anton and Brot on the beautiful OT.

UraMallas

Impressive OT. Subscribed!

Repping a blue HTC 8X on Verizon. Does anybody know if I can use the Nokia Qi charger on my phone for wireless charging? What other options are out there?

Ragus

Banned
Glad you can use that Lumia.

If it weren't for you, I'd have to send the phone to my provider, so that they could unlock it manually. I was supposed to wait for 14 days :eek:.

But fortunately, here I am, with my unlocked Nokia - thanks to you :).

Jallopy

Repping a blue HTC 8X on Verizon. Does anybody know if I can use the Nokia Qi charger on my phone for wireless charging? What other options are out there?

Does the 8X work with Lotus Notes as an account type? The Nokia Lumia 920 list it as a supported account type on Nokia's website, but I can't find any confirmation that the 8X will work with it. What I'm forced to use at work...

PG2G

dLMN8R

I'm debating this as well, and I'll probably pull the trigger as soon as I verify that my price won't go up. Things to consider:

-How much data have you been using month to month? AT&T has a great tool on their site that you can use

-Sure, we have unlimited data, but if I'm throttled after 5GB anyway, what's the upside?

-Tethering is pretty darn sweet and useful in the clutch.

My only concern at this point is AT&T raising the prices within the next year or two, screwing me over. Otherwise, I think it's a debate between how much you would need OVER 5GB of data vs how much you could use tethering. If you have a wifi tablet, like I do, it may be even better for when you want to take your tablet with you on the road.

Edit: Also, great job Anton and Brot on the beautiful OT.

Ugh. Right now I pay $45/month for unlimited data, and I get a $17 credit on that because of my company discount. So $28/month net. The only data plan I can switch to is 5GB/month, which is $50/month, and I wouldn't get that $17 credit anymore.

Never mind, screw that!

Heretic

Nexus 4 thread are pissed at me because I stated I got through and only bought to put up on Ebay.

Haha I just bought the 8GB right now for my sister. Won't ship for a while though.

Anyways, loving my 920! I'm just hoping I can get my work discount applied to my account or else this bad boy is going back =(

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
But we hadn't finished the old thread yet..

Had a play with Kids Corner yesterday, seems like a really good idea. Makes me want a multiuser phone. I can imagine such a thing being useful at work.

Yes, it does use Qi, actually Verizons support Qi standard.

At&t on the other hand does not and push for another standard that is probably why 8x on Verizons have wireless charging. Verizons want to make this standard for all the phones they sell.

I am glad to hear about plan to fix that reboot bug, so I guess it is memory issue just like the Focus. I assume it was because of similar symptom of random reboot. Now let hope they are also cooking up Bluetooth bugs fix and battery drain and phone crashing.

got about 20 "no sim card" errors today on my 8X that ive had for a week. Only way to fix it is to reboot it. Thinking about returning it and going back to my HD7 :( :( :(

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Passing along a tip I saw on Twitter: If you play your games from the Kids Corner, the Bing and back buttons are disabled, so you get less unintentional button presses. I would imagine that on the Ativ S, which has a non-capacitive start screen button, this would eliminate accidental button presses entirely!

Have you exchange the sim? And/or exchande the phone. I don't think I could go back to my old Focus.

I emailed HTC and tweeted them today, no response. IF my phone doesn't get better in a week I may exchange it. If it gets worse then defiantly the day it happens. The sim is a new one that came in the box.

frontieruk

I emailed HTC and tweeted them today, no response. IF my phone doesn't get better in a week I may exchange it. If it gets worse then defiantly the day it happens. The sim is a new one that came in the box.

Htc Europes policy is to take the handset in and return a 'new' phone made from new and old parts with 3 weeks, this came from HTC contacting me wanting my handset to diagnose the issue.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

Have you tried removing and putting back the sim card? It could've come loose or something. I would also try exchanging the sim at an at&t store, they will do that for free.

Passing along a tip I saw on Twitter: If you play your games from the Kids Corner, the Bing and back buttons are disabled, so you get less unintentional button presses. I would imagine that on the Ativ S, which has a non-capacitive start screen button, this would eliminate accidental button presses entirely!

Interesting. Since I don't have kids I've been planning on using Kids Corner just to store all my games for quick access.

f0lken

Yeah is a good read, but suffers from the same "WP8 is good, at the level of iOS and Android and everyone should consider it, the Lumia is a looker and excelent phone... I returned to iOS/Android but you should definitely try a WP!" that a lot of other bloggers and journalist do, and its good you should buy whatever you want/need and to a lot of people iPhones/android are the phones to buy, its the mixed signals in these reviews that irks me

Yeah is a good read, but suffers from the same "WP8 is good, at the level of iOS and Android and everyone should consider it, the Lumia is a looker and excelent phone... I returned to iOS/Android but you should definitely try a WP!" that a lot of other bloggers and journalist do, and its good you should buy whatever you want/need and to a lot of people iPhones/android are the phones to buy, its the mixed signals in these reviews that irks me

I am just curious if and when Microsoft get all the apps (3 years time may be? going by how long it took Android to catch up with iOS) what their excuse would be to not using Windows Phone. To her defense she really does seems to like the Lumia but she is so tie into Apple iOS. My sister is the same way, she was thinking about Lumia since she is using T-Mo but just could not do it because she is so tie into that eco system. She is willing to use gimp iPhone 5 on T-mo network rather than switch to Windows Phone.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
GUYS this is IMPORTANT.
from my experience from using data, no limit is enough, but it really depends on what you do and what you run in back ground. here is my usage from a couple months ago, but my usage is normally around here. even with 3 mail clients running in background.
jwOHzl.png

You have no idea. ;)

I'm just glad that Anton got to finish my OT.
lets make sure this doesn't become a trend, i miss the stoic brot.
Welcome to the US telecom industry. Data is a commodity in the USA.

come to canada, data is like oil here.
edit:
actually looking at AT&T plans are just as bad as ours.

#OneOfUs

Menelaus

Banned

I have the Nokia DT-900 charger that I used for all of one day if you wanna buy it for half of new. PM me if you want it.

thirty

Banned
great idea

edit: I've also renamed it to Xbox live.

the surface commercial was lame as hell.

i love the windows 8 UI. i think its a little too plain with only solid colors but i love the live tiles and how fluid it all looks. im very happy with my iphone 5 but id love to get a chance to play around with one of these one day.

Quality OT!

..............Sooooooo am I allowed in here, or should I cry to myself about WP 7.neverwillbeupdated in the old thread?

I've done a developer unlock on my phone and I'm going in. Step one is learning the SDK to use in conjunction with XNA, step two is remaking a moderate sized game I made a year ago whist I was in highschool.

I just noticed that Xbox Music is available in a bunch of Southeast Asia countries. New, huh?

Will probably be still rocking a Lumia 900, though.

Needs information about 7.8, other that that, pretty good.

Troll

Banned
I've done a developer unlock on my phone and I'm going in. Step one is learning the SDK to use in conjunction with XNA, step two is remaking a moderate sized game I made a year ago whist I was in highschool.

Well, if you need anyone to beta test this thread should help you find people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom