• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjolle

One or two online retailers here in Norway already sent out their stock, and I’ve heard of people being surprised over unannounced packages in their mail.

Meh. They will probably be shipped tomorrow..

And i still don't have any money :)

Bullza2o

Oh the new OT is up! Great job!

Still enjoying my new Lumia 920! Hopefully new apps come out and old ones get updated for WP8 soon.

Added Related links and Windows Phone v.Next at the bottom of the OP. Working on Reviews, FAQ, and a small "enhancements" section now.

Subitai

Great OT OP!

I'm loving my white 822 so far although I'm not a power user. Still need to get a wireless back though. It was sweet once I got my Xbox music to start working even though they didn't have certain Jpop/Kpop artists and SNSD tunes. On the other hand, I was pleasantly surprised with what was there. The first apps I was disappointed to not find were an official Hulu one and Opera browser, but I'm hoping they will be out soon as HTC and Nokia have been beating the lowball estimates analysts made for them. Also would have liked it if I could use one of my Webroot Internet Security licenses for this year on a WP version.

Can't share my screen till I get home. Just figured it out yesterday on the airplane.

Also disappointed Cam Newton is pitching the phone. Maybe he'll be dropped for RGIII next year. :) At least Will Arnett is doing a good job.

I'm getting readdicted to Puzzle Quest.

kharma45

Great OT OP!

I'm loving my white 822 so far although I'm not a power user. Still need to get a wireless back though. It was sweet once I got my Xbox music to start working even though they didn't have certain Jpop/Kpop artists and SNSD tunes. On the other hand, I was pleasantly surprised with what was there. The first apps I was disappointed to not find were an official Hulu one and Opera browser, but I'm hoping they will be out soon as HTC and Nokia have been beating the lowball estimates analysts made for them. Also would have liked it if I could use one of my Webroot Internet Security licenses for this year on a WP version.

Can't share my screen till I get home. Just figured it out yesterday on the airplane.

Also disappointed Cam Newton is pitching the phone. Maybe he'll be dropped for RGIII next year. :) At least Will Arnett is doing a good job.

I'm getting readdicted to Puzzle Quest.

No need for internet security WP.

Commodore

Nice pinch hit on the OT Anton. Checking in. Looks like my sub title idea won out. Rad. Looking forward to more and more WP8 optimized apps to come out over the next year.

Raistlin

Though this probably only effects a few people, there's a row that should probably be added to the following chart:

Xmg0L.png

Sonos support - http://www.sonos.com/music#services

Unfortunately Zune/XBox Music ain't there.

Quikies83

I canceled Spotify and think I might move to Xbox Music for my streaming.

I'm using my Xbox Music trial now.. I much prefer Spotify - despite the catalogs being almost identical. High-quality streaming is missing from Xbox Music and the interface needs a lot of work (not that spotify is perfect). And it's cheaper...
Also, tons of my friends use spotify so sharing music so seamlessly is essential.

Subitai

I'm using my Xbox Music trial now.. I much prefer Spotify - despite the catalogs being almost identical. High-quality streaming is missing from Xbox Music and the interface needs a lot of work (not that spotify is perfect). And it's cheaper...
Also, tons of my friends use spotify so sharing music so seamlessly is essential.
How much less is Spotify?

What is the minimal quality of headphone you can use to tell the difference in streaming quality?

I'm still in my Xbox music trial, so still open to other services.

Updated OP with reviews. Will get FAQ done tonight or tomorrow.

I also added a little "enhancements" section at the top that I'm going to refine with little improvements to the OS that don't really need their own sections (Wordflow, improved multitasking, IE10, etc.). If you have anything you think you should be added, let me know.

PG2G

Where the hell is my Spotify and Instragram for Windows 8?

My Lumia 920 is hungry for these two.

Spotify needs to be updated for WP8. It used native code so it didn't make the transition from WP7.X to WP8 cleanly. The update is in works.

Well, it seems to solve the rebooting problem the thing is they won't update the phone until sometimes in December. WTF Microsoft. Actually at this point I am not surprise at all.

If iPhone 5 were to reboot randomly, Apple would issue the fix as soon as they have the solution. And please no excuse about single phone, thing. There is only two Windows Phone 8, Nokia and HTC and only one with severe reboot problem and that's the 8X. Not sure why they even want to wait until sometimes in December ... probably just to drive more nail into this coffin.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
MS needs to make the Windows 8 app Music Info the default Xbox Music player. The app destroys the shit out of Xbox Music. It is metro, beautiful and fast.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
*DEAL ALERT*

Nokia Play 360 (available in Black, White, and Cyan) is currently an Amazon Lightning Deal

$50 off ($99)

Thank you, picked up a cyan version. Loving the cyan ecosystem: Monster Earbuds, Wireless Charging Plate, and Play 360. Not loving the prices, though, lol. Waiting on specials for the bluetooth headset, wireless stand, and JBL speakers in cyan to complete the set.

Raistlin

Thank you, picked up a cyan version. Loving the cyan ecosystem: Monster Earbuds, Wireless Charging Plate, and Play 360. Not loving the prices, though, lol. Waiting on specials for the bluetooth headset, wireless stand, and JBL speakers in cyan to complete the set.

lol damn ... NICE!!!!

I'm Cyan too, though I only have the phone, charging plate, and now this speaker.

Saving my money for JBl one.

thirty

Banned
Digging Nokia's strategy including NFC and wireless charging into their new phones. Sure they pay to add these components but then you get people like me buying up their chargers for home and office as well as NFC enabled speakers. It's if their accessories are subsidizing their phone costs.

WPCentral just did an article on missing Windows Phone games. Pretty shitty on Microsoft part. The more I read about these things, the more annoy I am at Microsoft, I should just go caress my Red Lumia and play with the camera. Keep in mind this list is only the games and not other apps. I know there are compatible issue with Android and iOS but the small and relatively young eco system that need nurturing by Microsoft just make this very frustrating. And if I have to guess the reason for sudden lack of new game on Windows Phone Xbox Live is probably the games are not compatible...

http://www.wpcentral.com/missing-xbox-games-from-windows-phone-8

First, let’s look at the list of Windows Phone 7 games that aren’t compatible with Windows Phone 8. As stated earlier, every single title’s Windows Phone Store page is offline:
•Babel Rising 3D
•Big Buck Hunter Pro - Review
•Contract Killer
•Crimson Dragon: Side Story - Review
•Dodonpachi Maximum - Review
•Fable Coin Golf - Review
•Feed Me Oil
•Full House Poker - Review
•Glow Artisan - Review
•The Harvest - Review
•Hasta La Muerte
•OMG: Our Manic Game - Review
•Orbital - Review
•Pac-Man Kart Rally - Review
•Pool Pro Online 3 - Review
•Risk (Nokia Exclusive)
•Shuffle Party - Review
•Sid Meier's Pirates
•Splinter Cell Conviction - Review
•Spy Mouse (Nokia Exclusive)
•Tentacles - Review
•The Oregon Trail - Review
•Trivial Pursuit (Nokia Exclusive)
•Turn N Run - Review
•Zombie Attack 2: Second Wave - Review

thirty

Banned
Guess we r gonna have to stalk these developers ourselves to get their games updated. I do miss Donpachi Maximum.

Bullza2o

Great OT OP!

I'm loving my white 822 so far although I'm not a power user. Still need to get a wireless back though. It was sweet once I got my Xbox music to start working even though they didn't have certain Jpop/Kpop artists and SNSD tunes. On the other hand, I was pleasantly surprised with what was there.

There's an app called Amazing Music, and it has Japanese and Korean music. You can cache songs for offline play too, and you can make playlists. It's a very interesting app.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
My HTC 8X had 55% battery life when I got home. I didn't take any calls, and I checked calendar/email a few times for a few minutes.

What the hell?

I just enabled power saver, blocked HTC from running in background, and reduced brightness. But still, I didn't do any of these things day one and the batter lasted a long time. Some software in the background is doing it wrong.

There's an app called Amazing Music, and it has Japanese and Korean music. You can cache songs for offline play too, and you can make playlists. It's a very interesting app.

I now have another favorite music app, thanks ^.^

...I just wish it integrated with the music hub :\

Someone should tell them Bond doesn't really use Xperia phone and Jeffersonian crews in Bones do not drive Toyota Prius in real life.

It's actually funny, as a Sony VAIO laptop owner, the only other place I have ever seen a VAIO is in the recent Bond movies. Nobody in real life seems to own one except me.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Oh, so apparently I had like 6 background apps running. Apparently you have to mash back until you hit start screen to close all of it.

I'm an old dude now

It's actually funny, as a Sony VAIO laptop owner, the only other place I have ever seen a VAIO is in the recent Bond movies. Nobody in real life seems to own one except me.
I have a VAIO, well actually gave it to my daughter earlier this year, I am using this behemoth gaming laptop by MSI (garbage quality, don't buy one unless you don't mind trouble shooting it for a week and keep exchanging it.)

hwalker84

iPhone 5 were to reboot randomly, Apple would issue the fix as soon as they have the solution. And please no excuse about single phone, thing. There is only two Windows Phone 8, Nokia and HTC and only one with severe reboot problem and that's the 8X. Not sure why they even want to wait until sometimes in December ... probably just to drive more nail into this coffin.
LOL. Sure they would. How quickly people forget. The first 3 weeks of any apple bug/defect is Apple denying its a problem. Then they'll release a statement downplaying the significance. Then the first will come sometime later. Apple has never been fast fixing anything!

PG2G

Well, it seems to solve the rebooting problem the thing is they won't update the phone until sometimes in December. WTF Microsoft. Actually at this point I am not surprise at all.

If iPhone 5 were to reboot randomly, Apple would issue the fix as soon as they have the solution. And please no excuse about single phone, thing. There is only two Windows Phone 8, Nokia and HTC and only one with severe reboot problem and that's the 8X. Not sure why they even want to wait until sometimes in December ... probably just to drive more nail into this coffin.

Wow, you guys will complain about anything. Do you realize what date it is? Not to mention, testing a fix for a bug that is intermittent and only affects a subset of phones isn't necessarily that easy.

Fact is, this is an example of a quick response not a slow one. I understand the complaints that Microsoft is slow with feature updates, but they are normally pretty good about critical bug fixes.

Jesus Christ.

Do you really think HTC and Microsoft wouldn't push out the update, as soon as they could?
Last time Microsoft pushed an update without proper testing out, was NoDo. We all know how that went.

Phone development is hard.
Especially if you don't own the OS or the infrastructure.

Testing is hard.
It takes time.

If the cause for a bug is not obvious, you have to go through long and extensive testing.
Or else you could break even more.

Heck, HTC even collected frontieruk's phone to analyse the problem, making it obvious that it's not an expected bug or easy to fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom