• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Nobunaga the Fool 3

Seriously, who thought it'd be a good idea to design mecha with wide-open vents that leave the pilots completely vulnerable? :lol
Though I have to wonder, is
Himiko
supposed to be this show's equivalent of Nohime? I know they're taking liberties with the historical aspects, but it still makes me wonder. Also, that pendant Jeanne has REALLY looks similar to
the Regalia that Himiko gave to Nobunaga

Another really enjoyable episode. Again, this'll probably end up being my show of the season (also it's two cour, so maybe even my show of next season?).

Saki Nationals 3
Enough of this training nonsense and setup. Three episodes and no mahjong matches yet.

Sekai Seifuku 2
It's reassuring this is embarrassing the absurdity of it all and is keeping it relatively light-hearted as I really doubt this show will be able to keep it together the moment it starts taking itself seriously. The stuff in the preview has me worried to say the least.
I'm not seeing the signs that they are going the serious route.

Branduil

Girls and Panzer - Akiyama Yukari's Tank Corner 01-04

i8NzKumH4QV2q.jpg

Such edutainment.

Pooya

nobunaga the fool

I didn't think this could get any more random than it already was, no fucks were given when writing this story, lool.

CrazyConaughey- 2

HBO saving Sundays for another season.

Hunter x Hunter (2011) 68

So there were some.... "subtle" jokes here. But we got Naked Hisoka
and I can't help but notice that Gon's eyes slightly moved when they were in shock of Hisoka's junk.... UNDERTONES

And then the blatant ass staring by Hisoka.... this is so damn lewd. And they went to the City of Love! It keeps piling!

....And I'm reminded that they're unaware of Texture Surprise.... how he gets away with with this....

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
BoobWitches
IwsUWP8l.jpg

Yeah, I almost wish this show had a female lead instead. Since the couple has to remain chaste forever, at least having a female lead would let them play on all the fun shoujo tropes of Aim for the Ace or Oniisama e, where all the other people in the school are jealous of the new girl.

Also, that one Kiki moment with the broom flying was funny because of what it was trying to evoke. I suppose it didn't look too terrible for what it was anyway.

I haven't really watched a magic girlfriend show in a while, and this seems to be more shounen-ey than echii, so I guess I'll make this the random guilty pleasure show that I watch this season.

You just solved my main problem with this show. If the main guy was instead a main girl, I would have probably enjoyed this show quite a bit more.

I've been saying this since the first episode.

Wasn't the main guy originally a girl?

That's what was said which caused me to go on that rant, yes.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Oh, since we were doing lists and I missed it:

Continuing from last season:

Kill la Kill
Golden Time
Strike the Blood

New stuff:

Nobunaga the Fool
Sakura Trick
Sekai Seifuku
Tonari no Seki-kun
Wooser S2

Dropped:

Mikakunin

Honestly aside from Mikakunin/Engaged, I've enjoyed everything from this season I've picked up. Especially Nobunaga the Fool. It's so unashamedly ridiculous that it becomes immensely enjoyable.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
KILL la KILL 13

OH SHIT
SENKETSU NOOOOOOOO

So this is the second time Mako and Ryuko have
be betrayed by a fake no-star. Unbelievable, Trigger.

Golden Time 13

New OP Hype

Ghost Banri finally t
aking his rightful place as villain of this show.

New ED is good too, but I'll miss OHSWEET&SWEETCHERRY

Sakura Trick 2

RIP in peace SDBurton (?-2013), this show is going to destroy you.

MRcOC4G.png

lol fansubbers you so cray. I'll be holding on to this one.

Space☆Dandy 1

Space Bravo? Johnny Dandy? Either way this is fucking dumb and I love it. It's comedy of the lowest brow but it looks and sounds fucking amazing. The dub cast is really fucking great too.

Pupa 1

The fuck was that. We waited that long for that short piece of shit? It looks decent yeah, but fuck.

Space Battleship Yamato 14

The fuck is going on? This is some Q-level shit.

Mushi-shi 8

Now this one was bittersweet as fuck. Hnnng.

Hunter x Hunter (2011) 69

And here we begin one of the most dangerous dodgeball matches to ever exist.

I mean shit, lives are on the line here.

Hunter x Hunter (2011) 70

The undertones are so high it might make most Precure seasons look tame in comparison. Only DDPC can deal with such undertones... because they might as well not be undertones.

That being said... this dodgeball match is interesting.

Hunter x Hunter (2011) 71

End of hype, now we move onto the final fight, before we gear up for Chimera Ants

Crocodile

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - 23

WOW. Just WOW.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - 24

Ok, I'm dumb. Can someone explain to me again why:

A)
The Earthlings had to go to Iscandar to get the Cosmo Reverse System (as opposed to the Iscandiarns just sending it to Earth)? Starsha was going on about the memory of the crew or something or another but it didn't make total sense to me.

B)
Where the hell did the rest of the Iscandar population go? Were they all killed in some war involving Wave Motion Energy weapons? Are there really only two living Iscandarians left in the entire universe? Makes their relationship with Garmillias even more peculiar. Considering what the Cosmo Reverse System can do as shown in later episodes, should they have used the system on their planet first?

C)
Am I imagining things or are we supposed to assume Starsha is pregnant? If so is Mamoru supposed to be the father?
Thx!

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - 25

How the hell did Dresler and his crew survive the battle in Episode 23? They don't even give you some flashback to explain this. Not entirely sure how chasing after the Yamato isn't just revenge and somehow fulfills his promise to Starsha. Destroying the Yamato will represent conquering Earth and somehow spreading peace and order in some way per his awkward justifications?

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - 26

Yamato%20Guys%20Collection%20Juzo%20Okita%2015.jpg

So I'm guessing Okita replaces Kodai as the Comso Reverse System's core after he died correct? Seems well deserved, dude was a hero/boss and went out in peace. "Interesting"that Mamoru sacrifices himself to revive Yuki but I guess he was sure Okita would take his place so like the Cosmo Reverse system would still work? Does that mean once they fix the Earth Okita dissipates into Space Waves then? Not that these are super important questions but I'm just curious :p I'm also not sure if I prefer this fate for Mamoru or for him to have died back in the Earth Solar System. Obviously this set up allows for the "feels" but him dying back in our Solar System seems a more realistic fate.

Anyway I have to say the show was pretty excellent. I dunno if I want to jizz over it like some others in the thread (it wasn't perfect) but that doesn't change the fact that this is some well made anime that was consistent all the way through and still one of the best works of 2013. I really appreciated that the characters were all grown ass men and women and for the most part resolved their issues like grown ass men and women. The CGI was wonky near the start but otherwise the production quality remained strong throughout the show. The background art was especially strong as has been shown by others several times in the past. OST was also pretty good with a nice retro feel to it. The show told a complete story and I liked a significant portion of the cast. There are some tropes and archetypes that fall into play but few characters are completely defined by them.

I will say the show stretched plausibility a few times for my taste though. Obviously the good guys have to win or the story just ends but the way events were written I'm pretty sure the Yamato should have been sunk like 100 times over.
I can recall only three-four named Earthlings characters dying throughout the entire show which seems super low. Not that characters need to die, and I don't want to start forcing in unnecessary deaths but I'm surprised how "clean" the show is given the subject matter. It probably should have been bloodier. Like I would have been upset in Sanada died in Episode 17 because he rocked but then if they weren't going to kill him, why even set that situation up in that way?

The whole "almost all intelligent life in the universe are basically humans" was a bit much to swallow and makes some of the interactions between the races seem forced. Even Star Trek tries harder with its Alien Races. The character designs could have stood to be more varied as well. They sure do love to abuse the "ahoge" in this show :p To be fair though, the show is a remake so I'm sure this critique is better aimed at the original than this show. How the war between Garmallias and Earth started and escalated
was only given a brief, nonsensical flashback and that's a shame
. The Garmallian politicking was kind of boring and I don't feel had a strong payoff even if Domel, Schultz, Wolf and Melda, etc. were interesting characters to differing degrees. Dresler came off as a bit of a "mustache twirler" and
the attempt to "justify" him near the end
rang hollow for him.

TLDR: It has it's faults but was still a great show; one of the better ones I've seen in a while and I will be recommending it to my friends. I will remember this well. The USA release seems super awkward & confusing though. I'm inclined to wait till the whole thing is out to hear how the release pans out. Also, is this going to be dubbed? Seems like it would be a great Toonami show.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Watching list, in order of entertainment:
Inari Konkon
Noragami
Nisekoi
Space Bebop Dandy
WitchCraft Works
Wizard Barracudas

---dropped zone---
Imocho
Engaged to the unidentified
Zvezda
Nobunagun

wonzo

Banned
Yamato 2199 7-10

yamato21997.jpg

mfw watching this show

I had to skim over and read some summaries of the earlier episodes to recollect what I remembered from them but I'm glad I did as the attention to detail in pretty much everything still blows me away.

rip schultz and that robot ;_;7

Abenobashi Shopping Arcade 06

This is pretty good and laidback. Need some reccomendations for hard scifi. Already watched GITS, LOGH, Planetes, Yamato 2199 so far.

Lists?

This season:
Mahou Sensou
Nobunaga the Fool
Nobunagun
Nourin
Onee-chan ga Kita
Seitokai Yakuindomo
Space Dandy

Carry over:
Kill La Kill
Log Horizon
Naruto Shippuden
One Piece
Strike the Blood

Dropped:
Sakura Trick - This is not the yuri I was looking for.

Yamato 2199 7-10
rip schultz and that robot ;_;7

I'm up to episode 19 and episode 9 still remains my favourite.

Bombless

The Iskandarians killed themselves with Wave weapons, yes. They are the ones that created the gates (why they say the gates aren't Garmillan tech). The Cosmo Reverse device was probably invented after their downfall. Starsha didn't want to send the device over because she didn't want to part with Mamoru's soul (there's the whole "judging" thing too, but I find that hard to believe as it being the main reason, she did fall in love with a human in the first place). Also, yes, he did bang her, and she is indeed pregnant.

Dresler's motive is simple. He loves Starsha, and she refused his hand unless peace is brought to the Universe. So Dresler is busy conquering all and bring "peace" so he can score. Basically this whole thing is the result of him getting blueballed, and when you're like that for over 100 years...well...I guess you start to lose your mind. Also, he survived by jumping away with his ship (good thing Lord What's-his-name was on the ball right then).

Okita charges the device after Mamoru dissipates, yes. So the same will happen to him. /salute

In short :
TYPE 3 SHELLS BEAT EVERYTHING!!!! (as long as you get close enough)

I will definitely need that Okita figure.

sonicmj1

How the hell did Dresler and his crew survive the battle in Episode 23? They don't even give you some flashback to explain this.

Dresler ejected his portion of the ship just before New Balaras blew up. You can see it if you watch that part of episode 23 again.

Similarly,
pay close attention to his ship blowing up in episode 25 for a neat surprise.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gundam Build Fighter Episode 15:

Yes, yes, yes, this is more like it, after a couple of dreary episodes riddled with dull sideplots and obnoxious gimmick matches we are back to good old fasion one-on-one gunpla battles. Though not before we learn that the Gunpla Mafia is a thing and Chairman Vince Mashita gets a visit from Stone Cold Reiji which advances the Plasky sub-plot about an inch. The main event give us our first true rival battle as Sei and Reiji fight Ricardo Fellini as Wing Gundam Fenice and Star Build Strike give us what is to date the best gunpla battle we have witnessed. Now we can move on to the Round of Sixteen and
Sei shall once again meet his father though not in battle fortunately.

Thoraxes

The USA release seems super awkward & confusing though. I'm inclined to wait till the whole thing is out to hear how the release pans out. Also, is this going to be dubbed? Seems like it would be a great Toonami show.
No dub. As far as I know Voyager is just doing subs (English and Spanish). It's a barebones release, and there will be some minor retailer goodies. Three places to purchase (for now) are the official Star Blazers site, Kinokuniya (possibly in-store too if you have one by you like me), and Rightstuf.

6 volumes
1 volume every two months
4 episodes for volumes 1-5
6 episodes on volume 6

Theonik

Space Dandy should have just been Space Johnny Bravo with a charmingly lame catchphrase like "Hey baby, wanna get dandy with me?" or some such thing.
Yeah I have no idea how they managed to mess that up when it's so easy.

Girls und Panzer SP 06

Is it bad if I knew what they were doing right away? The part that kills me is that she's still wearing that hat, LOL.
Her hat is surgically attached. Hell she wore it in the beach too!

Dresler ejected his portion of the ship just before New Balaras blew up. You can see it if you watch that part of episode 23 again.

Similarly,
pay close attention to his ship blowing up in episode 25 for a neat surprise.
My bigger question is that they blew up the new Baleras by shorting the wave motion gun that was on Desler's ship from what I understood. Of course they could have built a second gun but at that point it was a top-secret untested prototype so that feels unlikely.

Kazzy

Even to people following this thread, the Yamato release still makes almost zero sense - which is bad. It's endearingly shitty in its execution, but it's not as though that will help.

Ryuuroden

Abenobashi Shopping Arcade 06

This is pretty good and laidback. Need some reccomendations for hard scifi. Already watched GITS, LOGH, Planetes, Yamato 2199 so far.

Psycho-Pass, Gundam Unicorn, Shin Sekai Yori (low tech future dystopian society, very hardcore), Memories OVAs, Steins Gate, Crest of the Stars and Banner of the Stars series, Time of Eve, Kino's Journey. What I listed here is a mix of different types of sci-fi while the theme of being overall serious and provoking is shared between them all.

BoobWitches
IwsUWP8l.jpg

Yeah, I almost wish this show had a female lead instead. Since the couple has to remain chaste forever, at least having a female lead would let them play on all the fun shoujo tropes of Aim for the Ace or Oniisama e, where all the other people in the school are jealous of the new girl.

Also, that one Kiki moment with the broom flying was funny because of what it was trying to evoke. I suppose it didn't look too terrible for what it was anyway.

I haven't really watched a magic girlfriend show in a while, and this seems to be more shounen-ey than echii, so I guess I'll make this the random guilty pleasure show that I watch this season.

You just solved my main problem with this show. If the main guy was instead a main girl, I would have probably enjoyed this show quite a bit more.
I like it as it is , but i won't lie that with a girl it would have been such a delicious sdburton show.. well it doesn't really matter given what's happening later in the manga.

Saki 03

So is this an all-girls mahjong tournament?

Or is there only one co-ed high school in town?

Or does no guys (expect like one guy) plays mahjong?
female majong is a "thing". they got worldwide tournaments , and even school tournament are broadcasted on tv and they do magazine covers.. in the saki world it's freaking serious business.

The boy are far below their leadue. Boy playing mahong do exist but they are either :
- weak as possible
- kinda strong but so rare it's like finding a treasure chest while going to the beach.

Sekai Seifuku 2

sekaiseifuku2.jpg

It's reassuring this is embarrassing the absurdity of it all and is keeping it relatively light-hearted as I really doubt this show will be able to keep it together the moment it starts taking itself seriously. The stuff in the preview has me worried to say the least.
Judging by the first 2 episodes , the previews are fake and a way to poke fun at what's happning while trying to be serious... Ep3 probably won't be serious at all.

Golden Time 13

New OP Hype

Ghost Banri finally t
aking his rightful place as villain of this show.

New ED is good too, but I'll miss OHSWEET&SWEETCHERRY
coming after the first , it's kinda hard to be hyped ( for me at least )
Sakura Trick 2

RIP in peace SDBurton (?-2013), this show is going to destroy you.
So great sdburton didn't even arrive in 2014 !

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - 23

WOW. Just WOW.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - 24

Ok, I'm dumb. Can someone explain to me again why:

A)
The Earthlings had to go to Iscandar to get the Cosmo Reverse System (as opposed to the Iscandiarns just sending it to Earth)? Starsha was going on about the memory of the crew or something or another but it didn't make total sense to me.
Their memories of the journey are the fuel and the modified yamato is the key for restoration
B)
Where the hell did the rest of the Iscandar population go? Were they all killed in some war involving Wave Motion Energy weapons? Are there really only two living Iscandarians left in the entire universe? Makes their relationship with Garmillias even more peculiar. Considering what the Cosmo Reverse System can do as shown in later episodes, should they have used the system on their planet first?
yes usage of teh wave motion energy killed most of them,garmillas pure blooded are their descendants. And the cosmo reverse system need sacrifices not to mention that it can't restore the dead.
C)
Am I imagining things or are we supposed to assume Starsha is pregnant? If so is Mamoru supposed to be the father?
Thx!
You are right on both questions

How the hell did Dresler and his crew survive the battle in Episode 23? They don't even give you some flashback to explain this. Not entirely sure how chasing after the Yamato isn't just revenge and somehow fulfills his promise to Starsha. Destroying the Yamato will represent conquering Earth and somehow spreading peace and order in some way per his awkward justifications?
At this point dresler just lost it totally .Someone was in the way of his plans. you could say that the yamato agroo'ed dresler. As for the how did he survive..well i don't know , nobody know , not even the writter of the remake i think.
Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - 26

Yamato%20Guys%20Collection%20Juzo%20Okita%2015.jpg

So I'm guessing Okita replaces Kodai as the Comso Reverse System's core after he died correct? Seems well deserved, dude was a hero/boss and went out in peace. "Interesting"that Mamoru sacrifices himself to revive Yuki but I guess he was sure Okita would take his place so like the Cosmo Reverse system would still work? Does that mean once they fix the Earth Okita dissipates into Space Waves then? Not that these are super important questions but I'm just curious :p I'm also not sure if I prefer this fate for Mamoru or for him to have died back in the Earth Solar System. Obviously this set up allows for the "feels" but him dying back in our Solar System seems a more realistic fate.
yep , the captain took his place.Okita sacrified his soul to restore the blue planet they lost
Anyway I have to say the show was pretty excellent. I dunno if I want to jizz over it like some others in the thread (it wasn't perfect) but that doesn't change the fact that this is some well made anime that was consistent all the way through and still one of the best works of 2013. I really appreciated that the characters were all grown ass men and women and for the most part resolved their issues like grown ass men and women. The CGI was wonky near the start but otherwise the production quality remained strong throughout the show. The background art was especially strong as has been shown by others several times in the past. OST was also pretty good with a nice retro feel to it. The show told a complete story and I liked a significant portion of the cast. There are some tropes and archetypes that fall into play but few characters are completely defined by them.

I will say the show stretched plausibility a few times for my taste though. Obviously the good guys have to win or the story just ends but the way events were written I'm pretty sure the Yamato should have been sunk like 100 times over.
I can recall only three-four named Earthlings characters dying throughout the entire show which seems super low. Not that characters need to die, and I don't want to start forcing in unnecessary deaths but I'm surprised how "clean" the show is given the subject matter. It probably should have been bloodier. Like I would have been upset in Sanada died in Episode 17 because he rocked but then if they weren't going to kill him, why even set that situation up in that way?

The whole "almost all intelligent life in the universe are basically humans" was a bit much to swallow and makes some of the interactions between the races seem forced. Even Star Trek tries harder with its Alien Races. The character designs could have stood to be more varied as well. They sure do love to abuse the "ahoge" in this show :p To be fair though, the show is a remake so I'm sure this critique is better aimed at the original than this show. How the war between Garmallias and Earth started and escalated
was only given a brief, nonsensical flashback and that's a shame
. The Garmallian politicking was kind of boring and I don't feel had a strong payoff even if Domel, Schultz, Wolf and Melda, etc. were interesting characters to differing degrees. Dresler came off as a bit of a "mustache twirler" and
the attempt to "justify" him near the end
rang hollow for him.

TLDR: It has it's faults but was still a great show; one of the better ones I've seen in a while and I will be recommending it to my friends. I will remember this well. The USA release seems super awkward & confusing though. I'm inclined to wait till the whole thing is out to hear how the release pans out. Also, is this going to be dubbed? Seems like it would be a great Toonami show.

This show was freaking awesome

cajunator

Banned
Ana is definitely your kind of protagonist. I'm more a fan of Elsa. Something about women with world ending powers.

Elsa is a beauty no doubt especially with her hair down but Anna is so happybouncy and thats my thing.

i disagree, it's perfectly entertaining and I don't see the sky-is-falling stuff everybody is calling out at all.

Sure considering staff pedigree, not what I would have expected. But I don't think it's bad.

I agree. Seeing how some dont even like a show such as Cowboy Bebop I honestly dont think ANYTHING has a chance of living up to hype. Not a single solitary thing.

Bodacious Space Pirates 12

The only thing I don't like about this show are the Serenity ship designs. Other than that, it finally picked up.

Those knife ships were terrible.

Animate vendors had the Fate/Zero blu-rays for $120. Each season.
I just... what.

I want them, but I haven't paid that much for an anime since Sailor Moon uncut, and that was at least the entire season. Not 12. episodes.

There has to be a better way.

Thats not even this most expensive...

Those sets were the re-release with the dub.

The original release cost around $700.
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/CYAMslketukgCdDlKj/browse/item/93826/4/6757/0
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/CYAMslketukgCdDlKj/browse/item/95257/4/6757/0

I know the feeling too. I want to buy the show but I never spent that much on a set before.

Yup these are the ones. Worth every penny too. Dunno if I want to do it again for TTGL but Im running out of time as stock dwindles.

Theonik

So Microsoft actually shared this piece of 'fanart' earlier. I am not sure they realised it was intended to make fun of Windows 8 lol
iLb3FOj5NZwEr.png

cajunator

Banned
Stiens;Gate 19-20
BDSRGAWEHAERHQEERAVWEAWEOMGWTFBBQ!

The difference between the first half of this show and the second half so far is INSANE

But Space Dandy is ALREADY Space Johnny Bravo. In Space!

Yeah Steins;Gate just goes into psycho mode halfway through and is awesome for it. Everything just starts suddenly making total sense. Then you get addicted.

As soon as that fluff first appeared it was apparent. Yukari da besssssssss.

Of course she is!

There is also an anime sale at Best Buy. Thanks to CAG

Sentai Blurays are $27.99
Funimation Blurays are $34.99

There are also some cheap DVDs

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/a...071&nrp=50&sp=&qp=&browsedCategory=&gf=y&cp=1

Juden -chan is real cheap! Yall get it!

789shadow

Banned
I recall someone on AnimeGAF saying that they chose slug avatars because the tentacles served as the equivalent of extra hands, allowing them to get more work done.

A better adaptation wouldn't have left out such important details from the book, I guess.
SLUGS DON'T HAVE TENTACLES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom