• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

789shadow

Banned
So I'll obviously be watching Space Dandy with ToonamiGAF, but outside of that, what the hell do I watch(one episode of and then finish 7 months later)? I guess D-Frag? Anything else I should try?

Tenumi

Banned
Winter Season already? I haven't even decided yet what and what not to watch...

The Idolm@ster: (END)

An overall enjoyable experience, if a little oddly paced at times. Glad to see
The 961 Pro President get somewhat of an come-up-anse, with Jupiter quiting on him.

...Someday, I'll get to Puchimas....

Are there really enough films worthy of recognition to where this would make any sense?

Here are the films/specials/OVAs/whatever I would be willing to list on top awards:

Asura
Blue Exorcist
Death Billiards
Garden of Words
Gintama: The Final Chapter
Jinsei Best Ten
Little Witch Academia
Saint Young Men

And there's others that some people might like, such as One Piece Film Z. The film category is limited to three choices, so I'd say that's fine. I don't really care either way though.

Koppai

So I really want to get back into anime watching...

What TV stations currently broadcast anime? I have Cartoon Network obviously, but what about the rest.

I am going to watch Space Dandy for sure...loved Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Dirty Pair, Trigun, etc. and all those other shows back in the day :)

I tried watching Attack of Titan but I am honestly tired of subtitles, is this show going to get dubbed? I recorded Badlands Rumble on U-verse but my dad (the button happy) deleted the recording :(

I've watched various stuff like the action shows, magical girl (Madoka, Cardcaptor, Vividred) , slice of life (Lucky Star), mecha, historical fiction (Samurai 7, Basilisk), etc. I also love Ghibli, have not seen all of their films but my most recent pick-up was From Up On Poppy Hill :)

I've seen Tiger & Bunny, thought it was fantastic :3

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
How could you not count Gravity Madoka OF THE END?

I assume Blue Exorcist's movie counts for this year too.
If the home video release in Japan was this year then it is counted. This was the rule already set by the way, not a change.

Based on Japanese sales ranked by per-volume average (realize that some of these sales are not complete):

1. Attack on Titan
2. Monogatari SS
3. Uta no Prince-sama Maji Love 2000%
4. Free!
5. Love Live!
6. Infinite Stratos 2
7. Railgun S
8. Oreimo S2
9. Hataraku Maou-sama!
10. Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru

Was always surprised to SNAFU and Maou sama stick on, for so long. h well Maou sama turned to be one of the most surprisingly fun anime of the last year and am glad at least in the west it managed to get a following. Hopefully Funi follows through with releasing a fairly competent set.

Utapri 2 as well, lots of cool merchandise coming both in jpn and domestically, and 2015 needs to hurry for utapri 3.

And maybe viz has Free!.

Here are the films/specials/OVAs/whatever I would be willing to list on top awards:

Asura
Blue Exorcist
Death Billiards
Garden of Words
Gintama: The Final Chapter
Jinsei Best Ten
Little Witch Academia
Saint Young Men

And there's others that some people might like, such as One Piece Film Z. The film category is limited to three choices, so I'd say that's fine. I don't really care either way though.

Three choices makes sense I suppose. I still don't see the need to separate it though.

Jarmel

Banned
Film of the year

evaschick_1.png

So I really want to get back into anime watching...

What TV stations currently broadcast anime? I have Cartoon Network obviously, but what about the rest.

I am going to watch Space Dandy for sure...loved Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Dirty Pair, and all those other shows back in the day :)

I tried watching Attack of Titan but I am honestly tired of subtitles, is this show going to get dubbed?

Toonami on Cartoon Network is pretty much the only place you can find anime on American television, except for Pokemon I suppose. There's places online that stream anime, such as Crunchyroll and Hulu, but if you want English dubs Toonami or Funimation's website are pretty much your two choices.

Apologies if these were already posted in the last thread.

But there were some more PV released during Comiket.

Akuma no Riddle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CboNeTHAr0A

Mahou Sensou

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8sl7bu75U0#t=0

No Game No Life

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqMCYf1FibU#t=0

Seitokai Yakuindomo S2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFwJ-tBjiTw

Soul Eater Not!

http://youtu.be/qoGvNse_TCo?t=41s

Soul Eater one was pretty lazy as most of the time was just spent on the past anime and felt like it was hyping that up, while at least redeeming itself with Psychedelic SoulJam.

No Game No Life has fantastic character design.
Bcs5wxsCYAAowi-.png

Koppai

Toonami on Cartoon Network is pretty much the only place you can find anime on American television, except for Pokemon I suppose. There's places online that stream anime, such as Crunchyroll and Hulu, but if you want English dubs Toonami or Funimation's website are pretty much your two choices.

I watched some anime on Hulu this year like Madoka & Vividred, I think something else too. It sucks I just sometimes get tired of reading subtitles and I am too lazy to learn Japanese lol.

I watched some anime on Hulu this year like Madoka & Vividred, I think something else too. It sucks I just sometimes get tired of reading subtitles and I am too lazy to learn Japanese lol.

I don't even realize I'm reading my TV shows anymore.

As for Madoka, I like it quite a lot. Vividred, I couldn't get through. I made it to episode 4 or 5 before I was too bored-as-fuck to continue.

Dresden

Going through the OP reminded me that Seitokai Yakuindomo is GoHands. Different people working on photography? Directorial mandate? You can see colors and stuff!

So AnimeGAF, any suggestions what I should watch this season besides Space Dandy and D-Frag?

I'll list a few stuff I'm interested in:

Robot Girls Z - Fun comedy, good animation
Mushishi special - Don't miss the return of the best TV anime in existence!
Nobunagun - Manga is cool, hopefully the show can capture that
Tonari no Seki-kun - Manga is a well-liked series of goofball antics
Hoozuki no Reitetsu - Excellent art direction, good director, hopefully the comedy will be enjoyable
Mikakunin de Shinkoukei - If you like cute girls shows, this looks really attractive
Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha - Great manga, looks to be a well made adaptation

Koppai

So I see this one called Sword Art Online, any good? I didn't even know it was airing in English on Cartoon Network, gonna set my DVR to record. I want me some anime goodness!

I hope some surprises pop up out of this season. I'm feeling very ambivalent about the majority outside of the on-going stuff and Dandy.

Will watch:
Space Dandy
Silver Spoon S2
Samurai Flamenco
Kill la Kill

Maybe:
Wizard Barristers

I'll probably just go through some of the backlog. Mushi-shi looking likely.

Branduil

I think the CG in the Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta trailer looks pretty good, for the most part. There's an actual sense of weight to the planes as they fly, and air resistance is shown as they travel up. The textures are solid too.

It does look a little bit better than the movie did, but it still has a number of issues. I just wonder if it's going to have plane "physics" like the movie where the pilot flew his plane up perpendicular to the ground for like a minute.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
My dad has always liked watching television with subtitles on so I grew up getting used to watching both the action and reading the words. I actually like having subtitles even for english production because a lot of actors have terrible diction. Also, I know it often said, but english dubs for anime can be really really bad. I'd actually say Pixar are one of the worst. For some reason they think big names = good VAs when honestly 90% of the time they are shit. Some can be good like Nausicaa, but other times you'll be reaching for the ear plugs like Chihiro in Spirited Away.

Future Card Buddyfight looks fantastic, glad its getting a simulcast dub.
tumblr_mymyo9IIl51qbxqfpo1_500.png

Bushiroad announced on Monday that it will stream the Future Card Buddyfight television anime series on YouTube and Hulu with an English dub starting on January 3. Both sites will stream new episodes on Fridays, immediately after the episodes air in Japan. Cartoon Network will also air commercials for the anime starting on January 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom