• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strike the Blood 19

You ever watch a show and realize you haven't been paying attention to the plot for the last 5 episodes, so you have no clue what is going on?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Nobody is messing with you. I've hated on Angel Beats for years before you posted here. Someone was posting about Angel Beats so I posted about it. Being able to freely criticize anime is part of AnimeGAF culture, and it's part of what makes it attractive to people. I mean, this isn't AnimeSuki.

As far as I can tell, no one has personally attacked you for liking Angel Beats. If that happened it would be wrong, but eviscerating a show is just as valid as unconditionally loving it. I might disagree with Hitokage's opinion of NTHT or dimb's disapproval of 99% of anime, but it's not like they're doing it to attack me. Well, maybe Hitokage is, I dunno.
It's just easy ammo to use in battles of who has bad taste. Jexhius liked it too, and ribbing at him is just no fun at all.

Worse is when he goes "yeah, I do need to watch more Doremi" and then everyone is sad. :(

Anyway, yeah, shows are not sacred. The worst thing you can do is be off base or make nonsensical critiques. This should always be a place where you can discuss a show in detail without being too afraid of stepping on toes.

Jex

The manga's one of my favorites, I should get around to watching the show sometime. You're in for a ride!

The one thing that people point out as a complaint is that the anime basically is the manga.

Ona more positive note, the anime is basically the manga.

Kite

Strike the Blood 19

You ever watch a show and realize you haven't been paying attention to the plot for the last 5 episodes, so you have no clue what is going on?
I consider Strike the Blood and Tokyo Ravens to be sister series cus they both do this to me, they mention plot points and characters that I don't remember at all. Dunno who 2 of the girls in vampire boy's harem are. TR has Kyon butt so I know why I'ms til watching that but StB.. no clue why I'm still on board.. habit I guess.

Branduil

The one thing that people point out as a complaint is that the anime basically is the manga.

Ona more positive note, the anime is basically the manga.

That can be a bad thing, but fortunately in Monster's case the manga already has decent pacing, great character designs, and cinematic framing.

Jex

There's about 50 minutes of flashbacks to earlier episodes (and parts of the same episode) that could really stand with being removed as they were clearly just inserted to make the show hit it's episode count.

Banduil has already pointed out why adapting the manga isn't really a bad thing when it's already drawn in a cinematic fashion, but it's also worth pointing out that the sound design/voice acting is good too. Solid all round.

Branduil

There's about 50 minutes of flashbacks to earlier episodes (and parts of the same episode) that could really stand with being removed as they were clearly just inserted to make the show hit it's episode count.

Banduil has already pointed out why adapting the manga isn't really a bad thing when it's already drawn in a cinematic fashion, but it's also worth pointing out that the sound design/voice acting is good too. Solid all round.

The sound design is really great. It certainly plays a huge part in establishing the ominous mood of the show.

The addition of color, sound, and voice acting also enhances a number of scenes, like the one where Johan
describes the "forest" to Schuwald.

Jex

It can be difficult striking a balance between humorously deriding a show you don't like and raining on someone else's parade for what appears to be no other reason than spite.

Striking that line is clearly difficult, and I suppose it's something that comes from a mixture of the tone you writing strikes and how much time you devote to aggressively bashing the show.
Mouryou no Hako 7

Well, that was one of the most esoteric info-dumps ever. All I got out of that mouryou are a crazy folklore creature with all kinds of conflicting definitions.

Is the box/four walls thing why the number 4 is considered unlucky in Japan?

I believe 4 is pronounced similar to death, or something? I forget. Also, yes, Mouryou has the most esoteric and insanely detailed info dumps in any anime. Luckily the show really picks up after that.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Man I always forget just how bad the 2010 AOTY list was.

1. Panty and Stocking
2. Durarara!
3. The Tatami Galaxy
4. The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
5. K-on!!
6. Princess Jellyfish
7. Angel Beats
8. Oreimo
9. Shiki
10. Katanagatari

Not on the list: Soredemo

How Oreimo got beat out by Angel Beats I will never fucking know.

Awwww yeah at P&S taking the top spot though!

sonicmj1

Mouryou no Hako 7

Well, that was one of the most esoteric info-dumps ever. All I got out of that mouryou are a crazy folklore creature with all kinds of conflicting definitions.

Is the box/four walls thing why the number 4 is considered unlucky in Japan?

4 (shi) is like death (shinu). I think that's all there is to it, though the box/grave similarity doesn't hurt.

I rewatched that episode again closer to the end of the series, and while my analysis rests on some later stuff too, I think there are a few key things to take away from Kyougokudou's longer discussion.

- Mouryou are natural spirits, but nobody really knows exactly what they are.
- Mouryou are closely related to the dead, and are known to take away dead bodies.
- Mouryou thrive on the thresholds between the known and the unknown, between the world of the living and the world of the dead.

It'd be one thing if they were easy to understand, but they defy comprehension to some degree, and that's part of what's dangerous about them. To know what they do, we need to find the portals they inhabit, and see what happens to those surrounded by them. If this priest has somehow grasped the true nature of the mouryou, then how do they drive people to unhappiness?

Thoraxes

At this point I am lead to assume that the reason no one has ever recommended this thing to me is because you all assumed I'd seen it already?

Jojo is the shit. Watch it.

Do your mind and body a favor.

The main girl looking one, bottom right.

How Oreimo got beat out by Angel Beats I will never fucking know.

Awwww yeah at P&S taking the top spot though!

hi-five! you have awesome taste

That 2010 list is like half good. Not bad overall.

Narag

It's not an option in your settings?

You should watch Jojo, Corvo. It is slightly odd. Jojo's Slightly Odd Adventure.

Given show preferences, seems like it would have been a given on your backlog as is.

Omg. Jojo is wonderous Corvy!!

How the hell have you never seen JoJo?

Wait, Corvo has never seen JoJo? This needs fixing. Like, ASAP.

Jojo's is good. You should watch it.

Jojo is the shit. Watch it.

Do your mind and body a favor.

Jojo is a show animegaf agrees on, Corvo. Lookit that cross section of posters.

Link Man

Banned
Ground Control to Psychoelectric Girl 2

So our protagonist is starting to build a harem, eh? Too bad they all seem to be a bit strange, from the overly childish Ryuko (or Ryushi) to the costume-wearing Maekawa. Plus we get some backstory on Erio, which is always nice.

I also enjoy the grading scale at the end of each episode, it's a novel idea.

I apologize for the blah review, I'm a bit sleepy.

Star Driver 8

dUdQpPx.gif

5 minutes later

dUdQpPx.gif

cajunator

Banned
Man I always forget just how bad the 2010 AOTY list was.

1. Panty and Stocking
2. Durarara!
3. The Tatami Galaxy
4. The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
5. K-on!!
6. Princess Jellyfish
7. Angel Beats
8. Oreimo
9. Shiki
10. Katanagatari

Not on the list: Soredemo

Its halfway a good list. At least 1-6 is good.

Same here! The mood maker type is usually my favorite in the cast. Boundless energy, boundless imagination, a proportionally tragic backstory most of the time... but they're so much fun to watch.

I knowwww! Kinda fits my own personality so I cans relate!

I need to see more evidence before deciding.

Amazon shipped me the first part on blu-ray the other day. Can't wait to get it. Also hoping that they lower the price of part 2 before the actual release date next month. $59.99 is steep.

Also ordered this the other day for a July release:

Niiice.

Quasar

Strike the Blood 19

I haven't felt that with this, but this is the second arc in a row where I've been completely bored by the main plot aside from the fact that it introduced Yuuma. And I'm not sure if my entertainment from the interaction between Kojo and all his allies is enough for me to continue on.

Tokyo Ravens on the other hand I'm enjoying whole heartedly, and have decided to read the LN because I feel I'm missing a fair bit of the politics that seems to have been chopped out when they adapted it.

Jojo Manga > All

Note: I have not seen the anime :p

If the quality keeps up, it may end up being JoJo TV>JoJo Manga>JoJo OVA. The TV series actually made Phantom Blood good.

Also, as much as I love Araki and his art, there's more than a few visually incoherent panels, which won't be an issue in the anime.

Jex

If the quality keeps up, it may end up being JoJo TV>JoJo Manga>JoJo OVA. The TV series actually made Phantom Blood good.

Also, as much as I love Araki and his art, there's more than a few visually incoherent panels, which won't be an issue in the anime.

I wouldn't count your chickens before they're hatched considering some of the shots in the last season.

I wouldn't count your chickens before they're hatched considering some of the shots in the last season.

I don't remember any moments in the last few seasons that were nearly impossible to tell what was going on. Of course, I'm mostly talking about Stand fights here, and that's really more in the later parts when Araki starts getting ridiculously creative and obscure with some of their abilities.

But either way, it's sometimes hard to connect Araki's art into a coherent set of movements just based on the way it's detailed and how every single character is a master contortionist. It's a lot easier to tell what's going on when there's actual movement (cue jokes about no animation).

Branduil

But either way, it's sometimes hard to connect Araki's art into a coherent set of movements just based on the way it's detailed and how every single character is a master contortionist. It's a lot easier to tell what's going on when there's actual movement (cue jokes about no animation).

Which is why the OVA is good.

Jex

I don't remember any moments in the last few seasons that were nearly impossible to tell what was going on. Of course, I'm mostly talking about Stand fights here, and that's really more in the later parts when Araki starts getting ridiculously creative and obscure with some of their abilities.
I'm mainly thinking about the Pillar Men introductory episode which was pretty garbage on a number of fronts including visual clarity.

Star Driver 12

GIGA
bzik0fI.gif

DREERU

FDmW64O.gif

BRUUUUUUUUHAAAAAAAIKAAAAAAAAAAH

No joke if this show is shallow in many aspects in the writing, it makes up for it in the animation. GAURSH MAX such a pretty show to look at

Crocodile

Unsure-Larry-David.gif

Some of the fights in the anime were also hard to follow to be honest. I especially remember that Zeppeli vs Tarturus fight which was like a bunch of people spinning randomly for like a minute or two.

I'm mainly thinking about the Pillar Men introductory episode which was pretty garbage on a number of fronts including visual clarity.

Are you talking about the episode they first escape the stone or the next one which is Joesph vs Whamu Round 1? Both had major issues from my recollection.

I forgot how good the OVAs looked (or at least that battle, I haven't watched the OVA series in its entirety). But again TV budget vs. OVA budget, etc.

I will say that when the art was actually on point, the TV series had a great style and the OST in both halves did a good job of making you hyped and excited in a shonen battle series kind of way :)

fertygo

Presentation trumps animation in a franchise like Jojo. The 90s OVAs were definitely better than the 2000s ones on that front, but David Production blew both away.

There's nothing wrong with 90's OVA presentation, sure its not spamming color filter and such but its still nail the action atmosphere and intensity, the N'dool (or whatever his name lol) is exatcly what you imagine from Jojo when everyone goes frantic..

Well obviously they cut the comedy aspect considering the format.. but still that 90's OVA is really good. And yeah animation is part of presentation bro, more animation present in 90's OVA help the narrative keep moving without spamming still and long dialogue without anything moving in screen.

See
When Jotaro flying across the sand in 90's OVA
vs
Joseph fall from cliff in TV anime or rope action vs Kars

Branduil

I forgot how good the OVAs looked (or at least that battle, I haven't watched the OVA series in its entirety). But again TV budget vs. OVA budget, etc.

I will say that when the art was actually on point, the TV series had a great style and the OST in both halves did a good job of making you hyped and excited in a shonen battle series kind of way :)

It's not merely a matter of budget; it's also talent. The OVA had some of the best action animators of all time working on it.

Crocodile

It's not merely a matter of budget; it's also talent. The OVA had some of the best action animators of all time working on it.

True, true. I don't know Mitsuo Iso, Kouichi Arai, etc. by name though I wouldn't be surprised if I've watched some of their work over the years. Checking ANN, it doesn't appear that Iso has done anything recent. I guess he retired?

duckroll

You can take all the greatest animators in the industry and put them all together can they still won't be able to make anything remotely as compelling as True Detective. So what the fuck is the point of the anime industry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom