• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
puchimas 7

puchimasu7.jpg

true love at first bite

Theonik

I also watched it earlier today, funnily enough. But I do have a habit of revisiting it every now and then.

It really is pretty great.
It's very reminiscent of Nausicaa in some ways. Pretty cool thing to come across.
Edit: Just found this interview. Interesting stuff.

I quite like the song for this. The video is also great. Pretty sure I found out about in from GAF. Recommended for Miyazaki fans.
Literally found it by reverse google image searching. No joke. Was quite a pleasant surprise.
They were holding all this back from the last couple of seasons to make this the :chetest season in a while!

Metrotab

Banned
Winter Backlog Anonymous: Hourou Musuko/Wandering Son - 1

Everything about this anime seems very gentle. Gentle art, gentle coloring, gentle characters, gentle pace, gentle narration... The coloring specifically reminds me of Kimikiss.

As for the plot, I think this is about a boy wanting to be a girl (or wearing girls' clothes, at least) and a girl wanting to be a boy? It actually took me a while before I got what was going on. The vague introspective narration and the similarity between characters doesn't help much.

I'm gonna need to keep my head with this show (and read others' posts) to keep up with the narrative.

Skipping through so much material certainly didn't help. There's a lot of character dynamic missing in this show, and it's the reason I don't find it nearly as engaging as most people here do.

I had no knowledge of the Manga when I first watched it and I didn't have a problem keeping track of character relationships. I thought the show did a good job of showing those just organically throughout.

Ultimadrago

Wandering Son 1

That was a rather pleasant watch. This is perhaps contrary to the tone of Nitori's situation, but the music and watered colors set the episode for me. My issue with the episode was with the intensity (or lack of) in character emotion at scenes that left me wanting more from them
(Especially during Nitori getting caught crossdressing by his sister)
. The moments where it stood out nearly jolted me out of the experience. I was pleased with it overall though and am ready to see more of this story.

Also, the ED song perked my ears. It actually has English and not Engrish! This was appreciated.

Dresden

I had no knowledge of the Manga when I first watched it and I didn't have a problem keeping track of character relationships. I thought the show did a good job of showing those just organically throughout.

I don't think it's an issue after episode two or so. Episode one is somewhat disorienting due to the necessity for introductions, but after that, they do well in setting up a dynamic of their own.

Theonik

Smile PreCure 02
She
friggin' missed haha
Cure Sunny is saigo no Smiru PreCure. Adding this to my collection of PreCure reaction pics. I'm enjoying it so far but it's no HeartCatch. Then again if Erica had Sunny's Osaka-ben she would be pretty much perfect. ED CG dance is hilarious too.
ibkd87bNLvCLZU.png
ibywi6Xwgdoz0b.png

:SDBurton

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Smile PreCure 02
She
friggin' missed haha
Cure Sunny is saigo no Smiru PreCure. Adding this to my collection of PreCure reaction pics. I'm enjoying it so far but it's no HeartCatch. Then again if Erica had Sunny's Osaka-ben she would be pretty much perfect. ED CG dance is hilarious too.

I'm not sure I would be able to handle that much awesome.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
The things idols must do nowadays for recognition ;_;

The struggle to stardom. ;_;

Smile PreCure 02
She
friggin' missed haha

Yessss. :D

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Hataraki Man - 01

Forgot to post impressions on this yesterday but not really much to add beyond what everyone else has already said. Not a fan of the young rookie editor, his face is just asking to get punched. And that
stalking scene
was pretty creepy.

Also, the ED song perked my ears. It actually has English and not Engrish! This was appreciated.

Well, it's Rie Fu, who is fluent in English (and sometimes even sings songs where the majority is English).

I don't think it's an issue after episode two or so. Episode one is somewhat disorienting due to the necessity for introductions, but after that, they do well in setting up a dynamic of their own.

Yeah, it takes a little bit to get to know all of the characters because of how they drop you in, but you can get used to it pretty quickly. In retrospect, I appreciate that a lot more, because they start with everything already in the midst and don't take forever just setting up who the characters are. That confident, self-assured debut sets the tone for the series quite well.

Metrotab

Banned
Tari Tari had good songs and a decent cast. A bit heavy on the melodrama but all the conflicts were realistic ones (at least, as far as I remember).

Senyuu 1
tumblr_mg665yWpoQ1rtkblpo1_250.png

I guess I just cant find full enjoyment of shorts cause their short, unless shorts are from some already established property and bonus stuff on a set. Anyway Senyuu did have decent moments, I do like the comedy duo designs.

jgminto

Wandering Son 1

Really nice looking show. I like the soft coloured style. Definitely excited to continue this. The concept is really interesting and if they can keep to this tone I think I'll really enjoy this. The VA was a bit weak in sections. I feel like they could have put more emotion into it but aside from that it was quality.

Amnesia 1
tumblr_mgbybpEzCz1rcwmxvo4_250.gif
tumblr_mgbybpEzCz1rcwmxvo6_250.gif

Ah it was so good. Orion commenting made it actually really good, making up for all of the terrble short comings of the female character. She could be better but at leasts she not some overpowered character like Tamayori-hime (hiiro no kakera) or Ojou-sama (Arcana Famiglia) or a prodigy of music like Haruka (Uta-pri). Definitely enjoyed the character designs, antagonist looks cool, Orion is special in his own unique way, and Toma and Shin, best bros, hope we get more time of those two together. Ken probably for my third favorite thus far (that Pauli effect statement) an then Ikki is alright.

As usual these type of anime get some of the best music, Recall sound amazing and the opening song was well too and such good animation. Hopefully Sentai Filmworks licenses this.

Syrinx

Darker Than Black 16

Highlight of the episode was the British agent/contractor and the weirdo kid who can make shit go boom when he leaves his handprint. The scene with them and the other dude when the British guy was tied up was pretty cool. Hei shocking the guy in the hat the way he did was pretty brutal, but Hei can be very brutal. But like hat dude says, he's a sentimental one. That's why he's still got that thing from Amber, even though he went to kill her.

Speaking of those two, that was a pretty underwhelming scene. Him smacking her like he did was a bit startling, but I didn't learn as much as I wanted to, other than that [spoiler[she could lead him to his sister, which seems to be his greatest motivation.[/spoiler] Also, she can stop/travel through time, which pretty much makes her undefeatable, even though she is limited in how often she can use it.
'
I want more Kirihara. Ever since the mob boss daughter episode, I've wanted to see more of her.

man, opinion on radiant historia has flipped. still not digging gameplay too much, but the story is bonkers good.

And why is locke so badass? Why are there rarely any anime equivalents :(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You can see my opinions on Catstory Black in the hidden commentary track, visible by watching on suitably-ancient versions of VLC (2007 and earlier).

Not joking, it's actually in there!
I almost want to look, but I'm too lazy to find a 2007 version of VLC just to get trolled by you. :p

Does she say Urusai at some point?
Not in the episode I watched. But there might have been an opportunity in a flashback sequence!

Syrinx

Radiant Historia is my favorite DS game. Stocke is one of my favorite RPG protags ever. He's so damn cool under pressure and always rationally evaluates situations, something staggeringly few RPG protags do.

Battle system is very simple, but I enjoyed it.

Theonik

I enjoyed the little of Doremi I watched, not sold on it yet though.
I have watched to about Episode 8. Really liking it so far. Same character designer as heartCatch! (I started it before HC)

Everyone knows the real best OTP in Smile is that one policeman X Majorina.
Will have to keep note of that.

Haha! Soon you'll see the OTP i'm rolling with, can't wait!
Will look forward to it!

man, opinion on radiant historia has flipped. still not digging gameplay too much, but the story is bonkers good.

And why is locke so badass? Why are there rarely any anime equivalents :(

rofl .. i recall that you were saying something different this afternoon .

and yes stocke is excellent .
-----------

Sengan kagura - 01

i finally watched the first episode ..it was alright , over the top but still entertaining

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom