• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

WwLpYj5.jpg

This isn't something I wanted to know.

Pokemon XY Special: The Strongest Mega Evolution 1

Ash? Amazing?

Riiiiiiiiiight

So I'm going to expect Alan to face off against him sometime in the future? Works for me. Actually liked Alan and wouldn't mind if he pops up as the rival.

Glad to see Blastoise defeat Charizard. Was sick and tired of seeing Blastoise job to that lizard just to show how amazing it is.

OG water starter does not deserve that disrespect.

Oh yeah, just wait for that Charizard X vs. Charizard Y fight now. Just to complete the circle of Charizard being everyone's favorite Pokemon.

Atelier Escha and Logy 1

"There's another reason why our settlement is so prosperous."
"Oh, what's that?"
"The completely inaccessible floating ruins that can therefore contribute nothing to our economy or ecosystem, of course."

Maybe they're a tourist attraction from the ground?

Harmless fluff, insubstantial and mildly diverting but devoid of drama (not as in melodrama, but as in things happening!) for the time being. I suppose it's pleasant enough, and at least it's not amping up the moe which was the reason I stopped playing the only Atelier game I've tried.

The episode preview might ruin that if it looks like we're getting an entire episode about Wilbell.

BluWacky

Is it that hard? I generally just accept the premise of any given show at face value, I don't see how one could give anything a fair chance otherwise. A well-written story will take into account what its premise might imply for the interactions and development of the characters, and I don't think that's been slighted by the two episodes of One Week Friends that have aired so far. I think it's fairly clear that the premise is something the viewer is asked to just accept, and the story itself will tend more to thematic treatment and character development, building from that framing device the premise gives.

I don't think it's fair of me to really talk further about the show until I've watched the second episode to see how it handles things there - I'm talking only based on the first ep, after all. I hope you're right, and that I will be able to suspend my disbelief because the show will be engaging enough for me to do so. Perhaps it's just a consequence of this particular "type" of plot that I find it harder to accept than not.

It's odd that I feel this way given how much I like these amnesia plots - I watched a fairly rubbish TV movie last year called Remember Sunday that did the 24 hour memory loss thing and enjoyed it rather a lot. It's probably just the timespan of the amnesia that's bugging me.

Mr.Jeff

http://i.imgur.com/96EPQ7n.jpg
As emotional as that scene was it still really bugs me. "I must help them in case they drown from being in a not very deep river".

Gochumon wa Usagi Desu - 01
Really, really saccharine sweet. This would probably be a nice bit of fun if it wasn't for Cocoa being so obnoxiously loud and annoying. Mentally deficient moe in full force I guess. For some reason the rabbit screaming "No!" had me in absolute pieces though. Also kinda of a weird thing to add to the show:
the grandfather being in the form of a rabbit.[/url]
We'll see how the next ep goes but I might have to drop it just from Cocoa.

Moonphase 24
Pretty good final battle. Fairly exciting twists and Kouhei was kind of cool.
Though there are 2 more episodes so I don't remember what happens next. It's a little weird to have an epilogue over 2 episodes

Midonin

Tonari no Seki-kun 15

Goto focus time! She clearly didn't see the battle between sumo wrestler and giant wrecking ball tank robot that was playing out in real time, but this episode confirmed that I like her twintails. They became characters unto themselves.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
As emotional as that scene was it still really bugs me. "I must help them in case they drown from being in a not very deep river".
I don't think they were threatened with being drowned, it's just that she didn't want to leave them behind. The fact that Usagi team would essentially play an integral part in the final gambit makes her choice the right one anyway - it's a scenario where the sports play actually contributes to not only the outcome of the game, but to the story as a whole!

Mr.Jeff

I don't think they were threatened with being drowned, it's just that she didn't want to leave them behind. The fact that Usagi team would essentially play an integral part in the final gambit makes her choice the right one anyway - it's a scenario where the sports play actually contributes to not only the outcome of the game, but to the story as a whole!
Well I get that it was more about not leaving them behind but the scenario of it happening to be in water like the original incident was too much a coincidence. The scene just felt like it was being treated as something more overly serious like before rather than "well shit, they're stuck".

Although now I'm of a mind to go order the Miho Nendo now...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well I get that it was more about not leaving them behind but the scenario of it happening to be in water like the original incident was too much a coincidence. The scene just felt like it was being treated as something more overly serious like before rather than "well shit, they're stuck".

Although now I'm of a mind to go order the Miho Nendo now...
It's war though, no man left behind!

Syrinx

Magical Girl Pretty Sammy TV 18

These kids gotta start getting frustrated with all the one-day transfers they've been getting lately.

BluWacky

One Week Friends 2

So after all that wondering about the premise, it seems I'm perfectly happy to suspend my disbelief after all when the show is as "nice" as this (I hate to use the word nice, but it really describes this show very well...)

I'm looking forward to it expanding its horizons a little, as per the next episode's title, but what we have here is a perfectly pleasant yet bittersweet way to spend 20 minutes or so.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
A lass who intends to sexually assault her fellow idols is faster than the current fastest man alive.

God save their souls.

cajunator

Banned
Hapiness Charge Precure - 11
My face during this episode :

Ah precure , you really nailed it ...It's really on par to be a great season . 11 episode and it's still strong . i have no idea if they will manage to keep this up , but damn .. at this rate heartcatch will be surpassed.

Precure also continue the tradition. The yellow cure is either ( horibble or excellent ) and this time Cure honey really is excellent ...Itsuki , yayoi a serious contender for BEST YELLOW is there.
I mean :

That's was one hell of a great introduction arc . That's one hell of a attack.
The song ..the song is in my head....
MUST RESIS-

So good.
Brb , cooking Rice for launch ( true story )

Will check in a few hours

better than Yayoi? Those are some BIG WORDS.

Arf ..Fantasies all of this ..Only in anime..

NIce idea ..i'm still putting some money on the side so i can visit myself .. i plan to make my trip in a few years.
( would have been easier if i stopped buying figures but oh well ... )

lol stop buying figures...like trying to quit smoking

You didnt watch BlazBlue?

Ewwwww.

All right, time to make good on my promise to PshychoNinja, since he finished Madoka.

Angel Beats - 4

So we have our comedic anime baseball episode. Honestly, while this episode was fun, I liked the one in Clannad After Story better. Why? BECAUSE EVERYBODY WAS ALIVE IN THAT SHOW.

The more I think about it, this is a pretty demoralizing place to go to when you die. Hello! You died, so welcome to the high-school for dead teenagers!
Don't experience the happiest moment of your life here though, otherwise you'll go through SUPER death! This is like rubbing salt on a nihlistic wound. "Oh, life is meaningless as we're all going to die in the end, and when we do die we're going to go to a place where we'll die again if we get really happy."

Hey, I've got an idea! Why not make the show about one of these so-called NPCs?
Yeah! One of the characters is shown, living his everyday life, then suddenly some people he knows start dissapearing one by one, until he comes to the horrifying realization that the world he lives in is a limbo for dead people and he's just a pawn with fake memories.
That's one way this setting could work, I guess.

All in all, the main problem of this show still sticks out like a sore thumb, but at least everything else is adorable. Yui in particular is hilariously :cajun and enjoyable.

Andrew J.

FMP The Second Raid 13 END

Normally I find Chidori's slapstick violence a tad annoying, but here her frustration with Sousuke mirrors my own, so it's very cathartic.

Christ, Gates is an asshole.

Why hasn't that Lamda Driver-powered punch ever been an attack in Super Robot Wars? The Arbalest needs a boss-killer, aside from the Uruz team attack.

Denouement was sweet, although it's bullshit putting off the romantic development further.

This series was a major tone shift, not just from Fumoffu! but even the first season. The comedy/drama balance was shifted hard, and to the show's detriment. The latter half especially was quite a slog to get through, without even much action to leaven up the relentless drumbeat of glum introspection and existential dread. I was even looking forward to seeing Gates appear, for fuck's sake. If Film Crit Hulk is right about one thing, it's this: Don't drag out the Refusal of the Call. It just kills the pacing and annoys the audience.

The sad thing is, the show really nailed that stuff when it actually got around to doing it. The comedy was as funny as anything from the past seasons, and the finale had some of the best Real Robot style action scenes that have ever taken place in Earth's atmosphere. I just wish the balance had been struck to feature those strengths more.

If the light novels progressed further in this same direction, I don't know that I feel particularly bad about the animated adaptation just leaving off here.

Quasar

Railgun is just too slow ... its a nice extension to the indexverse but in anime they are taking just too much time with everything

its interesting. Most folks I know much prefer railgun, and hated railgun s2 because it brought in Touma and all the index bullshit.

I don't know why but when the season was starting for One Week Friends I was expecting it to be brutal in the feels territory. But seems like they decided to go with less drama and more cute moments than Ef. So I don't expect it to get brutal except for maybe a couple of manly tear scenes.

cnet128

Banned
Seikoku no Dragonar 2

Ughhhh, I knew I was making a mistake giving this show a second episode to convince me. Almost everything about it is still horribly mediocre and unappealing, but I can't bring myself to drop it when the frequently-nude dragon loli, who is clearly the star of the show, is so great.

I'll admit that the actual plot events in this episode also felt somewhat more engaging than last episode's where I honestly couldn't give a shit about a single thing that happened, but even that may just be thanks to the fact that Eco was involved in them this time around. The climax of this episode, where the scientist woman
was honest-to-god going to dissect Eco and this was treated as a legitimate threat, only for her to suffer no consequences for this attempt after being defeated and instead become their new class teacher with no reasonable justification other than "lol isn't it funny now your teacher is psycho-woman"
, was just...ugh. That kind of mixing "comedy" and drama is very "anime" in the worst possible way. It felt completely out of place and cheapened the whole scene.

Oh, and despite the fact that the loli dragon and her fanservice value seem to be the main draw of this show and frankly the only reason I can see why anyone would actually want to watch it, the show doesn't even seem to be doing a good job of appealing to that audience outside of that one character. There are no other lolis in sight, and the other wildly sexualised characters we've seen so far are the aforementioned scientist woman from this episode, and the weird dragon succubus...woman...thing from the dream sequences in the previous episode. Both of whom are disgustingly well-endowed and about as far from loli as it's possible to get. I'm not sure if this show even knows what it wants to be.

better than Yayoi? Those are some BIG WORDS.
I'm standing strong with my decision
lol stop buying figures...like trying to quit smoking
Hey ! I can do it !
its interesting. Most folks I know much prefer railgun, and hated railgun s2 because it brought in Touma and all the index bullshit.

Railgun and all the index spin-off are only there to expand the index world , nothing else . The sister arc was a mandatory passage but it should be the only arc in that sense with railgun ( ever ) The rest is much more original stuff
and much more misaka focused ...
I mean the sister arc in index S2 was fine when misaka was the main character , problem in that arc ( in the railgun context ) is that the main heroine didn't do shit for the finale...
Thankfully we'll have the daihaiseisai to look forward to from misaka perspective if they plan to make a railgun S3..

Space Brothers 2

Screwing makes you interesting, as well as flushing your mother down a toilet!

Oh lovely, we also gain 2 new characters, not-Wright, and a girl.

cajunator

Banned
Dude, I think most of AnimeGAF enjoys A Certain Magical Index

I like Railgun a lot more.

When Monster Musume airs and the overload of screenshots showing lamias, centaurs, harpys, mermaids, slimes, etc.

cannot wait. This show is practically inevitable.

If you think about it, it has already easily done more in 11 episodes than any other Precure. Simply putting out more of what it's been doing leaves us with a consistently enjoyable show in every episode, and it hasn't even really developed the plot threads it has started yet, something the director has shown himself perfectly capable of.

To me, it's no longer about how high this show can go in the Precure rankings, but how high it can go among all magical girl shows.

thats some really high praise!

All right, time to make good on my promise to PshychoNinja, since he finished Madoka.

Angel Beats - 4

So we have our comedic anime baseball episode. Honestly, while this episode was fun, I liked the one in Clannad After Story better. Why? BECAUSE EVERYBODY WAS ALIVE IN THAT SHOW.

The more I think about it, this is a pretty demoralizing place to go to when you die. Hello! You died, so welcome to the high-school for dead teenagers!
Don't experience the happiest moment of your life here though, otherwise you'll go through SUPER death! This is like rubbing salt on a nihlistic wound. "Oh, life is meaningless as we're all going to die in the end, and when we do die we're going to go to a place where we'll die again if we get really happy."

Hey, I've got an idea! Why not make the show about one of these so-called NPCs?
Yeah! One of the characters is shown, living his everyday life, then suddenly some people he knows start dissapearing one by one, until he comes to the horrifying realization that the world he lives in is a limbo for dead people and he's just a pawn with fake memories.
That's one way this setting could work, I guess.

All in all, the main problem of this show still sticks out like a sore thumb, but at least everything else is adorable. Yui in particular is hilariously :cajun and enjoyable.

:O

Haikyuu!! 02

Captain's da best.

Woo, forced being friends with each other and teamwork! Enjoyable episode, nice contrast between the two and I like the other members of the team we have been introduced to. All the animation quirks were pretty fun too.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Tonari no Seki-kun! 15

I love these episodes where Goto misinterprets Yokoi and Seki's relationship
cause I want YokoixSeki to actually happen ;_;

Articalys

More short stuff.

Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii ep.2

Annoyed at the start of the episode but it got better as it went on. Will keep watching at least another week.

Baby Steps ep.2

Simple, but enjoyable enough. I'm not really a sports person but I can relate to that feeling when you get the right form, or get in the "zone", or whatnot.

One Week Friends ep.2

So they will be able to make this adorable without being repetitive. Good to know.

Tonari no Seki-kun ep.15

Pigtails.

Love Live! S2 ep.2

Still just as much fun as the first season, or maybe even more so since the whole cast is together right from the get go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom