• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WIRED has given Hogwarts Legacy a 1/10 review score

GHG

Gold Member
Honk honk

Cody Carson Dancing GIF by Set It Off

AGRacing

I've been playing this game. Rating it a 1/10 simply confirms WIRED is a total rag.

While in line at the grocery store I've seen Enquirer headlines that were less completely full of shit than that review.

Last edited:

Tams

And?

If the artist decided that is what they want in that world, that is what its going to be.

Where the fuck did you read Black people didn't exist in the Witcher universe or Lord Of The Rings Universes?

Anything regarding Mali in Africa or Ancient Rome is down to the artist to decide whats what.

Its a fucking piece of art, its not a biography. I stand by what I said, if the fucking artist decides thats what their universe is, they decide what makes "sense" in that world.

Not you, not me.

To even boil down enjoyment of any medium based on this shit is sad and makes zero sense.

Shit why stop at race? Whats next? You going to cry cause someone REALLY can't jump that high in Kill Bill and tell us the statistics based on swords actually cutting heads? At what point can someone just enjoy the work for what it is instead of this weird thing of trying to act as of a piece of art, has now become a scientific fucking claim of something? Even the examples given are even funny as shit, worlds with elves, monsters, ohhhh but black guy as character is just waaaaaay unreal and just can't be a thing then? oh but dragons can? Where is the doubt and question regarding any of that shit? lol If you are able to understand its fiction based on those things, I'm 99.9% you can understand the artist can choose what ever fucking race they feel like it in those works, those worlds are NOT 1.1 in the fucking first place.

hints the dragons, monsters, elves, magic etc.

You're just showing your utter ignorance of literature and history.

But hey, keep digging.

drganon

Thankfully it looks like neither metacritic or opencritic seem adding this review to their respective sites.

Wired is a trash magazine anyway. I remember listening to this old bombcast where Jeff went on a rant about how much they suck.

Ozzie666

If someone in an accountable profession like a Lawyer or Doctor did something similar, they would be disbarred or taken to court. Why not take the high road and just not review anything. Not a good look for anyone. Whoever approved this should be fire if nothing else.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Don't worry, a call from upper management and a few activist tweets will rectify this problem. No way they'll throw one of the chosen people under the bus like that.
Then the answer should be a bit more loud (yet respectful) contacting metacritic and being also active on social as dislike those slacktivist as much as you want but they are coordinated and active and are getting their way (not a magic curse :)).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
If someone in an accountable profession like a Lawyer or Doctor did something similar, they would be disbarred or taken to court. Why not take the high road and just not review anything. Not a good look for anyone. Whoever approved this should be fire if nothing else.
I think you can take a stand and criticise it, but either it should be barred from MC scores contribution or the review should refuse to give a score or it should review the game based on its content than being an excuse to ensure it fails despite what it is or it has inside.

Taking a stand is not a problem, how it is happening is.

kyussman

This whole fiasco is a shame really, its pretty clear they are doing more harm than good even if they have good intentions. Instead of helping the trans community they are creating potential transphobes. You can already see it with people attacking this persons looks rather than the article per se.
Transphobe means nothing,it's bullshit.....anyone that stands up for womens rights to not have men in their spaces is called a transphobe....it's like calling all conservative thinkers nazis,it's a nonsense.If me not wanting my two daughters to have to put up with men entering their spaces makes me a transphobe then that's a badge I'll wear with pride.The author of this article wouldn't understand this though because they don't have any kids....they have a pet rabbit.

EDMIX

You're just showing your utter ignorance of literature and history.

But hey, keep digging.

Nah, that isn't denying history exist, its respecting that we are talking about a fucking made up thing by an artist that decides what is or isn't in their worlds.

That isn't a fucking 1.1 type thing in any of the examples you used....

They are made to be made up artistic pieces of works, not historical or scientific claims.

Thats like saying Tarantino is showing his ignorance of science and history cause a fucking sword in Kill Bill killed like hundreds of people without being dulled or that statically, most times heads wouldn't just get cut in half cleanly or something, it tries to force this idea that the artist are making some sort of factual claim about something, never mind that the work never makes any claims about being a biography or based on 1.1 factual events.

So Tarantino is not ignoring science, I'm sure he understands what is going on clearly would not happen like that in real life, he is an artist and the work is based on a fucking FAKE thing thats going on, it is purposely exaggerated for entertainment, it makes no claims to be a historical claim, science claim etc.

Funny enough, none of the shit you even used as an example make those claims either.... So Witcher and Lord Of The Rings are not history books sir, they are works of fiction

RaduN

These same people had no issue when all the big review publications reviewed Top Gun Maverick or Mission:Impossible despite Tom Cruise being the leader of a violent cult that's covered up sexual abuse, blackmailed members from speaking out, and continues to protect violent and sexual abusers to this day. Where was the big boycott then?
Never knew Tom was catholic.

Nico_D

We Got This Covered seemed to applaud Wired's review. I didn't click it tho but just based on the title. Maybe it was ironic.

Lasha

And?

If the artist decided that is what they want in that world, that is what its going to be.

Where the fuck did you read Black people didn't exist in the Witcher universe or Lord Of The Rings Universes?

Anything regarding Mali in Africa or Ancient Rome is down to the artist to decide whats what.

Its a fucking piece of art, its not a biography. I stand by what I said, if the fucking artist decides thats what their universe is, they decide what makes "sense" in that world.

Not you, not me.

To even boil down enjoyment of any medium based on this shit is sad and makes zero sense.

Shit why stop at race? Whats next? You going to cry cause someone REALLY can't jump that high in Kill Bill and tell us the statistics based on swords actually cutting heads? At what point can someone just enjoy the work for what it is instead of this weird thing of trying to act as of a piece of art, has now become a scientific fucking claim of something? Even the examples given are even funny as shit, worlds with elves, monsters, ohhhh but black guy as character is just waaaaaay unreal and just can't be a thing then? oh but dragons can? Where is the doubt and question regarding any of that shit? lol If you are able to understand its fiction based on those things, I'm 99.9% you can understand the artist can choose what ever fucking race they feel like it in those works, those worlds are NOT 1.1 in the fucking first place.

hints the dragons, monsters, elves, magic etc.

If a producer is willing to put a black elf in a work based on Tolkien's world then you can be assured that other liberties are going to be taken in the name of "art". That's what people mean when they say something is "shoehorned in". I agree with you when the art is an original work. Most of the complaints arise when discussing derivative works built atop long established worlds.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Pure sabotage. Luckily it won't affect much, the people who might care about this already think this game is a bigger danger to the world than Putin.

Lasha

Please understand

The review asserts that queer creators are the best and hypothesizes that the decline in Harry Potter is due to a lack of queer hands on potter projects. Netiher claim is backed up in any way with the entire premise hinging on HL being a bad game. That tweet is classic signal boosting. Next there will be a wrap up article sourcing these tweets and treating the original statements as fact. So gross.

UnNamed

Banned
Next: "I can't write an about article this seaside resort, because in the sea there are sharks and sharks kills people! "

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
The dumb thing is that the game has representation in not only the right skin/hair for PoC, lgbt folks are represented well and without caricature. Ofcourse it doesnt matter to the schreeching weirdos

Can't believe this is the hill people have chosen to die on. The game is genuinely so wholesome and whimsical.

Does representation right as well, people are just gay or trans or black or whatever without it being the only thing that defines them.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I just read the article (thru archive.org).

They do not talk about the game. Or well, just that animation/graphics/lore suck without stating why which is generally what a review is supposed to do.

Instead, what i read is a personal trauma story by an author who literally has allowed herself to feel hurt on the idea that they do not matter as a person.

I won't go that far. But i do think their review does not matter. Its a personal complaint disguised as a public review.

You could have just opted to stick it to your dildo's. There was a choice. They chose to feel hurt by reviewing this game.

As a small time reviewer myself, they are hurting the craft that comes with reviewing a game. They are a disgrace of this craft and its one of the most terrible reviews i have ever read.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I would like to link some apolitical video to this whole thing, since I it proved to be highly entertaining.
link

#notAllLeft

Von Hugh

Someone go give him/her/them/they/idiot a beat down to push them/her/whatever down their/his/hers/horse pedestal

Top Bottom