• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WIRED has given Hogwarts Legacy a 1/10 review score

Not a single person has done more to promote childhood literacy in the world. Her work has brought immeasurable joy to so many children.

How selfish would someone have to be to try to take that away because they disagree with one of her opinions?
Don't try to understand pothead progressives. It's useless. Years of drug use destroyed them from within.
Fortunately they are in the minority. A minority too weak for this world. They will be exterminated naturally.

DaGwaphics

Speaking of…

Dude is down to 800k subscribers now lol.

I actually watched that and it was kind of funny. She might be a little bit more wound up on this topic than I had figured, LOL I don't actually follow her. That one group the vid said she supports has been found legally responsible for organizing violent acts of hatred, so, that's not so good (though I don't really know if it is accurate or not). But it still doesn't have much to do about a HP video game.

It's possible that in response to what she perceived were attacks against her that she has made some allies that are radicalizing her in the some way.

Power Pro

Speaking of…

E5rYXAp.gif

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Wow the comments are off the chain. Don’t they live in Mississippi or Alabama, two of the least progressive states? If so, very brave.
I just don’t understand the level of anger they have for her, for simply stating a scientific fact, correct?
I feel like alot of the LGBT community really looked up to her for being a successful feminist author/movie producer and when asked a question (why was this question asked in the first place) she responded. It’s like a kid meeting his favorite action star in reality and leaves very disappointed lol
Well the thing is you can’t combine the lbgt community as one unified group . these very small minority YouTubers and twitch people do not speak for everyone they claim to represent. That’s why you see the term “ blue haired “ it’s like an “ alt right “ symbolism. There are many lbgt people who are not raving lunatics.

Last edited:

Kacho

Oh wow, that's quite the decline, I wonder if people got tired of his shtick?
It’s two fold I think. Part people growing tired of his anti capitalism schtick and the drastic change in appearance. Competition in that space is pretty fierce and is always changing. As Jim Sterling fades other channels like Skill Up grow.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Well the thing is you can’t combine the lbgt community as one unified group . these very small minority YouTubers and twitch people do not speak for everyone they claim to represent. That’s why you see the term “ blue haired “ it’s like an “ alt right “ symbolism. There is many lbgt people who are not raving lunatics.
I think a lot of people around here have trouble making that distinction. Anyone who doesn't actively misgender trans people or label them mentally ill must be a screaming lunatic activist out to destroy our way of life.

Likewise, on Era, they'll act like anyone who listens to Joe Rogan occasionally must be a toxic male neo-nazi rapist school shooter.

And because of that, half of them are acting more out of contrarianism lining up on the far opposite of what they see as "pure evil" than they are expressing any kind of coherent affirmative ideology. It's a huge problem. I don't know how you fix that.

Last edited:

Mozza

I think Rowling is an idiot with a platform who likes to talk with authority about things she knows little about, but the whole drama around this game is crazy.
Out of interest, what does Rowling know very little about, that she then talks with authority on.

Last edited:
Currently catching up with the thread, sorry for the lateposting...
I hate to be harsh, but I'm glad this guy is gone.

There is something about him that rubbed me the wrong way.

I think if mods gave him a bit longer we might have got a live thread though XD
I agree with you. There's a massive difference between disagreeing about issues, and outright advocating for physical violence (at least that's how I interpreted it).

Everything else in the thread has been just fine. Shitting on a shit review is what I enjoy GAF for!

Umbasaborne

Banned
I think a lot of people around here have trouble making that distinction. Anyone who doesn't actively misgender trans people or label them mentally ill must be a screaming lunatic activist out to destroy our way of life.

Likewise, on Era, they'll act like anyone who listens to Joe Rogan occasionally must be a toxic male neo-nazi rapist school shooter.

And because of that, half of them are acting more out of contrarianism lining up on the far opposite of what they see as "pure evil" than they are expressing any kind of coherent affirmative ideology. It's a huge problem. I don't know how you fix that.
Its a real issue. Just because i think the people at era are facsist nut jobs doesnt mean im a biggot. But the extremists on both sites will either call you a nazi or an sjw for not agreeing with their views 100 percent.

Like im all for laughing at someones deranged twitter post where they scream and hiss at anyone who dared to buy hl, but im not gonn laugh at someone just for being trans like some people on this site do. Its fucked up.

Last edited:

SaucyJack

I actually watched that and it was kind of funny. She might be a little bit more wound up on this topic than I had figured, LOL I don't actually follow her. That one group the vid said she supports has been found legally responsible for organizing violent acts of hatred, so, that's not so good (though I don't really know if it is accurate or not). But it still doesn't have much to do about a HP video game.

It's possible that in response to what she perceived were attacks against her that she has made some allies that are radicalizing her in the some way.

Do you want odds on how true that is?

I'm betting it's false on two counts. Firstly her level of support or endorsement of whatever group they’re referring to and also the allegation against the group.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

You fix it by leaving the internet subculture bubble and interacting with people who have different worldviews in real life, where your faculties for empathy and socialization function properly and you can’t press a button on an app to make them instantly disappear.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
You fix it by leaving the internet subculture bubble and interacting with people who have different worldviews in real life, where your faculties for empathy and socialization function properly and you can’t press a button on an app to make them instantly disappear.
As an individual, sure, but I mean I don't know how you reverse the broad cultural trend. It only gets easier and easier to retreat into self-selecting online echo chambers.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
As an individual, sure, but I mean I don't know how you reverse the broad cultural trend. It only gets easier and easier to retreat into self-selecting online echo chambers.

There are tipping points though and it kind of feels like this is one them. The vocal minority can overplay their hand. Choosing a Harry Potter game as your battleground is ridiculous.

Further, it's also important to not demonize the whole by that vocal minority as that is a zero sum game.

Chozoldman

Banned
In theory...but how are you expected to have a civil discourse with a person who says their gender changes by the hour, and that everyone else must not only acknowledge it, but accept it as a reality all while navigating the ever-changing and evolving minefield of "micro aggressions" and being told that you can't understand because of some perceived privilege, (which is the reason, ironically, given for ignoring "my truth" and stance)?

The vast, Vast, VAST majority of people couldn't be bothered with this nonsense, but we are still being told that we have to buy into the new science and ignore the evidence of, not only our own eyes, but billions of years of evolution. There is no conversation there. The extremists on both sides will not be swayed.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
In theory...but how are you expected to have a civil discourse with a person who says their gender changes by the hour, and that everyone else must not only acknowledge it, but accept it as a reality all while navigating the ever-changing and evolving minefield of "micro aggressions" and being told that you can't understand because of some perceived privilege, (which is the reason, ironically, given for ignoring "my truth" and stance)?

The vast, Vast, VAST majority of people couldn't be bothered with this nonsense, but we are still being told that we have to buy into the new science and ignore the evidence of, not only our own eyes, but billions of years of evolution. There is no conversation there. The extremists on both sides will not be swayed.
Case in point.

Mozza

it-is-maam-its-maam.gif

(yeah I know these aren't correct pronouns in this case but whatever)
Funny thing about pronouns, is nobody uses them in every day interactions with other people, they only tend to get used when discussing someone, or as in this case, in an argument.... Strange there is so much fuss forcing people to use something, they will rarely ever use in normal day to day life.

DeathGuise

Where the hell are you getting this asinine assumption? Most other trans and Non-binary folk I know in relationships are in relationships with LGBTQIA people to begin with, with a sizable portion of them having non-cis partners. Why wouldn’t you date that which most understands you? Look at any random queer community or circle, especially with the younger LGBTQIA adult crowd. Most trans folk in relationships don’t have cis partners.

Makes perfect sense too. The truth is that too many cis people just don’t “get it”, so why bother with people that don’t get you?

This is one of the most common repeated misconceptions and all it does is perpetuate some weird, inherently flawed, expectation that says more about the person asking it more than anything else.

Jesus I wasn't even trying to make anyone mad. It was a bit tongue in cheek but the people I know who are in the trans community directly contradict what you've said here. So a he-said she-said situation won't really lead much anywhere but in the meantime you should calm down
196.gif

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yes because now words are actual violence, seriously, I submit to you the world has lost it's fu@$ing mind.
Grown ass adult talking to an 8 year old. "Grow up Timmy. It's only words. Just ignore them and dont get into fights at recess. If he hits you go to the principal's office"

Grown ass adult talking to other adults. Lets all act like assholes. "Honk honk! WTF man! Death threats! Cancel culture! Doxxing! Type as many antagonizing posts on social media as possible! Boycott, boycott, boycott! Even boycott sales data charts because it mentions a video game! I got pink hair with blue streaks and wear dirty sweatpants all day. If my work tells me to dress more professionally, I'm suing for stress and going on long term leave."

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Funny thing about pronouns, is nobody uses them in every day interactions with other people, they only tend to get used when discussing someone, or as in this case, in an argument.... Strange there is so much fuss forcing people to use something, they will rarely ever use in normal day to day life.
If someone IRL told me “hey these are the pronouns I like to use for myself” then I would gladly do so. I just don’t think that telling someone your pronouns along with your name is like the new default way for everyone to interact with each other. The vast majority of people dress and present themselves in a way that clearly advertises their gender and don’t want to have to explicitly tell people.

I also think most people don’t want to pretend like it’s a total mystery what your gender is until you explicitly tell them.

Last edited:

Neff

Debate would help out both sides, what are these places afraid of?

Partly because they're emotionally stunted people who argue with feelings as opposed to logic and reason. Partly because they know they don't have a leg to stand on. They don't care about ideals or helping people, they care about enjoying the unyielding power of social media and political correctness, and about having reasons to vent their innate dislike of human beings. That's why the moment you point at fallacies in their beliefs, they retaliate with pure aggression.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Partly because they're emotionally stunted people who argue with feelings as opposed to logic and reason. Partly because they know they don't have a leg to stand on. They don't care about ideals or helping people, they care about enjoying the unyielding power of social media and political correctness, and about having reasons to vent their innate dislike of human beings. That's why the moment you point at fallacies in their beliefs, they retaliate with pure aggression.
Yup.

Social media whores last ditch attempt at happiness is using Twitter to aggravate people, while sitting back and finally feeling they won something in life.

Notice how 99.99% of antagonizing aggressive social media types are: look and act weird, have a shit job or zero job, definitely look broke, almost always single as nobody wants to hook up with them. Lets face it. Not the type of person who seems is a likeable person to grab after work drinks or catch a ball game with the gang.

They got lucky the internet gave them a free and easy way to vent and piss people off (especially with cancel culture and doxxing).

Deep down they know they are at the bottom of the barrel. So regardless of what happens, their situation cant really get any worse. But yours can. It's like 10 years ago when the whole squeegie kid scene came about peddling for money. Best way to get them off your back is act chill and ignore them peacefully. But the second you honk your horn pissing them off, you got more to lose than them.... a whack of their squeegie against your car. It's not like you can go after them for compensation. They got nothing. So it's best to ignore and move on.

Lets them be in their own bubble.

They crave attention. It's like console warriors. The second you dont get baited into battles they thin out and try it on another forum. If you fight back they love it and can do it all night.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Do you want odds on how true that is?

I'm betting it's false on two counts. Firstly her level of support or endorsement of whatever group they’re referring to and also the allegation against the group.

Absolutely, everything about the video could be fake, out of context, or otherwise distorted, that's true. I watched it right after my post #839 and realized how unfamiliar with the situation I really am. Made me think she might have tweeted a lot of stuff I had not seen, I don't really follow her twitter.

But, even if she is a little out there, she has the right to her opinions the same as anybody else.

Yeah, let's harm the games developers who poured their heart and soul into the game - and even tried to right some of JK Rowlings wrongs themselves.

What a hero this "reviewer" is.

SaucyJack

Absolutely, everything about the video could be fake, out of context, or otherwise distorted, that's true. I watched it right after my post #839 and realized how unfamiliar with the situation I really am. Made me think she might have tweeted a lot of stuff I had not seen, I don't really follow her twitter.

But, even if she is a little out there, she has the right to her opinions the same as anybody else.

I’ve watched it now, it’s equal parts distortion and outright falsehood.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Yeah, the YT and Instagram algorithyms are crazy. If you don't willingly search for different opinions you will only get feeded the same shit for all enternity. No wonder the world is split into extremes. shit is outright scary.

Last edited:
Yeah, the YT and Instagram algorithyms are crazy. If you don't willingly search for different opinions you will only get feeded the same shit for all enternity. No wonder the world is split into extremes. shit is outright scary.

This is one of the reasons why I have my browser set to wipe cookies and history after closing the window. (I think most people can guess another reason :p )

I also don't sign in to YT when I'm watching/searching for videos, so that it doesn't build try to build too much of a profile for videos it tries to recommend to me.

I don't have IG or other social media profiles either, which is a big step in avoiding the algorithm problem before it starts.

Not a single person has done more to promote childhood literacy in the world. Her work has brought immeasurable joy to so many children.

How selfish would someone have to be to try to take that away because they disagree with one of her opinions?
I get where they're coming from, she's transphobe who uses her money to prevent people from getting basic healthcare for doing whatever they want with their bodies and probably sides with an ideology that at best hindered a lot of people's lives, of course she deserves criticism and disdain. Just because you liked the art she made doesn't take away the fact that she's a dick, Ren and Stimpy was a funny show that influenced a generation of artists and helped the animation industry to move forwards, but that doesn't excuse John K. being a teen rapist. Would you forgive the Nazis just because they campaigned against smoking? It's very hiperbolic but you get the idea.

Bullying a streamer for enjoying it isn't the best way to protest though, I don't have double standards so I'm also willing to call out toxicity.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

By far the best video covering Rowling vs her attackers that I've seen. Extremely well-researched and astutely, level-headedly observed-

It's a good thing I'm not on Twitter I'd totally get cancelled, after actually hearing her talk in the snippets she seems really reasonable and articulate. Plus, I've reaffirmed my position to not go too deep into twitter, wow.

Meicyn

Gold Member
One of the biggest FFXIV streamers streamed the game and enjoyed it (the horror), and now people are calling her a transphobe :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Yep, and Zepla isn’t having any of it. Her rant is on point. She normally sticks to being chill and geeking out over FFXIV, but the gloves came off.

The emotional manipulation reached peak stupid with this ongoing harassment campaign, and I’m glad there a massive pushback.

I get where they're coming from, she's transphobe who uses her money to prevent people from getting basic healthcare for doing whatever they want with their bodies and probably sides with an ideology that at best hindered a lot of people's lives, of course she deserves criticism and disdain. Just because you liked the art she made doesn't take away the fact that she's a dick, Ren and Stimpy was a funny show that influenced a generation of artists and helped the animation industry to move forwards, but that doesn't excuse John K. being a teen rapist. Would you forgive the Nazis just because they campaigned against smoking? It's very hiperbolic but you get the idea.

Going to not base my entire response on the invoking of Godwin's Law there, but I and likely many others find it to be a ridiculous comparison. It's one that A) activists make way too often and B) actively drives people away from agreeing with any other arguments that had potential for convincing. I would suggest finding a more suitable analogy.

That said, I keep hearing arguments about how she donates to lobbyists or groups who fund "anti-T" policies and legislation. I don't know how credible those claims are, either in terms of whether those are actually "anti" or in amount of donations.

If it's anything like the claims about what she's actually said on record, then I expect the claims to be biased and intentionally uncharitable interpretations.

As other posters have also said, she has contributed a lot to promoting literacy, to domestic/sexual abuse shelters, and to women's causes in general. I would like to see evidence, if it exists, that back the activists' claims.

Bullying a streamer for enjoying it isn't the best way to protest though, I don't have double standards so I'm also willing to call out toxicity.
I dunno I think this is a bit more nuanced than you’re saying here. Where did she donate to preventing basic healthcare for trans people? Or do you mean she donated to stop them from being able to transition? Was that her goal in donating? How much money did she donate? Where are the clear, objective receipts for this and what cause/effect to back up the claim that she’s actually actively putting money towards preventing health care towards trans people in some malicious attempt to hurt them? I guess I just feel it’s a bit reductive to completely whittle it down to - well she donated to this (without showing the concrete evidence of what/why etc) so that defines her completely and overshadows any perceived good qualities or even objectively good things she’s actively helped along by donating to or through other means. I dunno it just feels a little oversimplified morally

EDIT: I honestly want to be educated here with clear evidence instead of assumptions - we need it for everything else we try to apply objectivity to, so I want it for this type of statement. I think if you’re gonna boycott someone and call them these things and really take it as fact they’re a piece of shit in spite of the good they’ve done - it’s a pretty bold move - and I’d expect people to only take that step if they actually have pretty incredible hard evidence - not some wishy washy abstract thing where a bunch of people are claiming it to be so so everyone just buys that and gives it no further thought

EDIT 2: Okay so a quick search (mind you I haven’t double checked any of this) what I found was this:

1. she apparently helps fund a sexual assault center in Scotland that caters only to biological women - the headline says “excludes transwomen” and hypothesizes it’s because other assault centers changed their rules to allow transwomen: my opinion, so far - not an issue. Bio females have a totally different lived in situation than transwomen, whether it’s worse or not is besides the point - but I can see the logic behind having a safe space for them.

2. Then she donated to the “I’m suing stonewall” campaign by a black lesbian who says this:
“In early 2018, when I first heard that plans were underway to make the lives of trans people easier, my reaction was that this was a good thing and I did not give it a second thought. I kept coming across the term ‘TERF’ but ignored it. I thought that bigots were simply being called out.

Then one day I clicked on a link: terfisaslur.com where someone had collated the online abuse that was being directed at women who I realised had entirely valid concerns and questions about the wisdom of replacing sex with gender.

I learnt that the new trans activism wants to smash the distinctions between men and women; replacing sex with notions of gender identity; making sexual difference a matter of self-identification; and demands that any and every man that wishes to identify as a woman must be allowed to do so.”

She goes on but you get the gist. I think you can at least see that it’s logical to be concerned about this if you are a biological woman who has suffered at the hands of men your whole life. It should at least be allowed to be discussed and spoken of - which is what JK is supporting here.

3. She tweeted an opinion against the gender recognition reform bill changes in Scotland which entailed:

“ The Scottish legislation, under First Minister of Scotland Nicola Sturgeon, is a planned reform of gender laws that will make it easier for people to legally change gender, including obtaining a gender recognition certification, removing the requirement of a medical diagnosis of gender dysphoria, and allowing trans people to self-identify on legal documents. Under the new rules, to obtain such a certification, people need to live in their acquired gender for at least three months, followed by a further three-month reflection period, before the certificate is to be granted. The age limit for gender recognition will also be reduced to 16 from the current 18.”

If you read that and can’t see what could be potential problems there I don’t know what to say. But to say it’s totally unreasonable and horrible of her to tweet against it? I dunno

This is all I could find, if this makes her akin to hitler and rapists I don’t know what to say it still seems fairly nuanced here.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I get where they're coming from, she's transphobe
No she isn't.

who uses her money to prevent people from getting basic healthcare for doing whatever they want with their bodies and probably sides with an ideology that at best hindered a lot of people's lives,
No she hasn't.

of course she deserves criticism and disdain.
She does, for things she *actually* did that deserve criticism and disdain.

Just because you liked the art she made doesn't take away the fact that she's a dick
Explain, in words and with data *how* she is a dick. I am not a huge fan of her and disagree with her on quite a few things, but that isn't an emotionally charged diatribe like what you have shown here.

, Ren and Stimpy was a funny show that influenced a generation of artists and helped the animation industry to move forwards, but that doesn't excuse John K. being a teen rapist. Would you forgive the Nazis just because they campaigned against smoking? It's very hiperbolic but you get the idea.
Yes, compare someone who supports Trans individuals, but still believes in basic biological science and wanting separate safe groups for biological women as being the same as a literal rapist and HITLER.

You fucking for real, mate?

Yep, and Zepla isn’t having any of it. Her rant is on point. She normally sticks to being chill and geeking out over FFXIV, but the gloves came off.

The emotional manipulation reached peak stupid with this ongoing harassment campaign, and I’m glad there a massive pushback.

Her rant is good but some of the things she said seem to have made it worse for her, because they're especially upset that she compared the actual suffering and death of the Ukraine war to JK Rowling making a few tweets.
wvVx3G0.jpg

An invisible war....
Dr Evil Whatever GIF

FFXIV is basically Second Life for the LGBT community (including Ree) so I'm not surprised that there is a sizeable amount of folk calling her a terf now lol

I hope more XIV streamers follow suit and just play the game.

Dr.D00p

Speaking of…

I watch a few minutes of this and all i can see is someone with a serious Mental illness playing it out in public.

..but maybe that's just me, the World is so fucked up these days, its so hard to tell the insane from sane, anymore.

Exede

Is weird banned from open and metacrit? When not they should be. But hey they got the clicks, mission acomplished

FunkMiller

Link to this. Don’t be like every other asshat who just spouts stuff they’ve read by other asshats on social media.

Link directly to your proof that Rowling has used her money to prevent people getting basic healthcare.

Let’s see if you’re as bad as all the others at providing evidence of your claims.

Last edited:
Top Bottom