• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WIRED has given Hogwarts Legacy a 1/10 review score

Barakov

Gold Member
https://web.archive.org/web/20230210135608/https://www.wired.com/review/hogwarts-legacy-review/

A journalist from Wired has given Hogwarts Legacy a score of 1/10 to deliberately thwart its success and hamper it's score on Metacritic/Opencritic. It's very likely other game media outlets will follow.

XioKcgQ.jpg
Hey Wired :
the boss GIF by Brimstone (The Grindhouse Radio, Hound Comics)

Nautilus

Banned
Honest question: Will Metacritic ban these people from the aggregate score, at least for this game? When its a very clear troll attempt to shit on the game and not do(or try) an unbiased review by so called professional jornalists?

Does even Metacritic have it in them to be ethical and do that?

Last edited:

mdkirby

Personally it's the whole "If you're not onboard with what I am saying then you can unfriend me" statement that gets me....just makes me want to call them on it and say bye. I have many people I follow and interact with whom I disagree. I am good with debate and exchange of ideas, but when someone insinuates I'm not worthy of friendship or interaction if I do not wholeheartedly buy into what they're selling...that's when I pull the ripcord. I'm sure that person is nice, but would a thoughtful nice person say something that makes you feel like you have to walk on eggshells in your interactions with them. Just my 2 cents...which isn't worth a whole lot. :messenger_tongue:
Yah I get it, I just personally like to have a view through to the other side on each extreme, and not shut them out entirely on my timelines. It’s a slippery slope to ending up like the purple place 🤣

PSYGN

Honest question: Will Metacritic ban these people from the aggregate score, at least for this game? When its a very clear troll attempt to shit on the game and not do(or try) an unbiased review by so called professional jornalists?

Does even Metacritic have it in them to be ethical and do that?

There should be less weight on absolute outlier reviews.

Last edited:
I think meta and open critic should have the option to remove non sense reviews like this,
I actually read it and it's pure lunacy

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
He(they?) shared a tweet that gives spoilers about the end of the game on his(their?) twitter adress. He(they?) also retweeted "it crashed my computer 2 times" shared by one person, as evidence of technical problems.

I don't know if you will defend your rights like this, but I can say that it doesn't work, and even has the opposite effect. Although nothing about this game caught my interest, I started to think about buying the game.
Such drama queens/kings do the most damage to that community. Instead of getting on people's nerves to get your rights, you can try to get sympathy by explaining your problem.

I agree with Rowling by the way. The fact that men claiming to be women enter women's locker rooms is a subject open to abuse and should be discussed. You should have your rights and be able to live freely in society, but you should also respect our lives and thoughts.

It is a complete scandal that Wired magazine allowed such an article. If they are sincere, I suggest they give a Call of Duty review to a Russian.

Fox Mulder

This was always going to happen with some sites, these woke morons are everywhere in the failing gaming media.

They are review bombing, spoiling, harassing, boycotting, and stalking people over this game and it’s going to sell millions.

Last edited:

Toons

I have zero interest in buying or playing this game(not because of the political BS just not into HP) but its a rare thing when an IGN review is more reliable and another outlet

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
Last edited:

Mozzarella

The only reviews that matter are the ones that try to be as objective as possible and the ones that talk about game quality in its acknowledged aspects such as: Gameplay, Level Design, Writing, Sound and Music, Art Direction and overall immersion and enjoyment which tends to be the most subjective of the bunch, imo those are reviews worth listening to even if you disagree, you would get a total comprehensive take on the game as a game, that way its meant to be.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I just don’t get how this mindset helps anybody:

• Hypersensitivity
  • Catastrophize everything
  • Assume the worst possible intentions of others
  • “Feel unsafe” about everything
  • Absolutist about your beliefs
  • Afraid to say what you really feel/walking on eggshells because your peers will judge you harshly
  • Try to silence everything you don’t agree with
  • Constant approval seeking

That’s like the perfect recipe for mental illness. You shouldn’t be encouraging those things in ANYBODY, let alone someone who already feels like they don’t fit in.

This reminds me of when Aaron Rodgers, QB for the Packers was not voted MVP by a few voters because of his stance on vaccines (which I don't necessarily agree with), so a few punished him by not voting for him, when he clearly was the regular season MVP, he still won for that year of course. Or how about another example? Curt Schilling is a bonafide Hall of Fame pitcher, but lesser pitchers were voted into the hall before him. Why? They don't like the man's politics, but he has the stats and legendary performances.

What I'm saying is evaluate the work and/or performance on its own merits. We've all heard of that saying of being a professional or acting like a professional. This means no matter how you feel, you have an obligation to do the best job possible. This situation of giving a bad review because of how this review site feels about the trans stuff is clear cut case of unprofessional behavior. Somewhere along the line a lot of people in society were not taught this or decided to ignore this principle.

As a lowly foreigner in this mostly American forum please enlighten me: what the hell happens inside all those west coast college campuses? All these amazing ideologies that added unprecedented value to mankind over the past 10 or so years started there right?

The same thing that happened in the 70s, the hippies grew up and became the professors and administrators.

American colleges have been offering bs liberal arts degrees like gender studies for years. And for years people poked fun at those degrees for being worthless. The problem - a lot of those students did eventually get jobs in universities, in human resources, and in the media, etc.

In a few years basically every major company's HR department will be primarily run by the cancel culture crowd. We're in for a wild ride.

Last edited:
This oldy but goody came to mind as I pictured that reviewer.

Sad Baby GIF

I could certainly try and explain in more depth, but I fear a "time out" might be sent my way...so I'll refrain.

Last edited:

Silentium

The same thing that happened in the 70s, the hippies grew up and became the professors and administrators.

American colleges have been offering bs liberal arts degrees like gender studies for years. And for years people poked fun at those degrees for being worthless. The problem - a lot of those students did eventually get jobs in universities, in human resources, and in the media, etc.

In a few years basically every major company's HR department will be primarily run by the cancel culture crowd. We're in for a wild ride.
The long march through the institutions. It's why it's important that sane people pushback and undermine leftist efforts

EDIT: What the hell kind of paragraph is this? Why do these people always write in this strange narrative/interactive format?

872gNBn.jpg

^ there’s the first paragraph if you’re looking for a good laugh

Last edited:

phant0m

It’s already started. Without being told to discriminate, hiring managers are “heavily encouraged” to find diverse (read: non white males) candidates at my company.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Why do REE types all type like they're from Alabama?

Y'all come back now ya hear!?
They’re trying to adopt a certain vernacular. And it’s not mainly the southern one.

It’s already started. Without being told to discriminate, hiring managers are “heavily encouraged” to find diverse (read: non white males) candidates at my company.
Sounds racist and discrimination.

Last edited:

Chozoldman

Banned
I just don’t get how this mindset helps anybody:

• Hypersensitivity
  • Catastrophize everything
  • Assume the worst possible intentions of others
  • “Feel unsafe” about everything
  • Absolutist about your beliefs
  • Afraid to say what you really feel/walking on eggshells because your peers will judge you harshly
  • Try to silence everything you don’t agree with
  • Constant approval seeking

That’s like the perfect recipe for mental illness. You shouldn’t be encouraging those things in ANYBODY, let alone someone who already feels like they don’t fit in.
Unless, of course, you're looking to create an army of Marxist extremists for the culture war.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Surprised it hasn't happened more often so far.

But this is why Metacritic scores don't matter. All it takes a few bad actors to tank the score.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Sadly I fear this whole toxic saga could stand to do some serious damage to the trans community. I’d like to think the hate being directed to the game and those who play is just coming from an extreme and vocal minority and not the broader LGBTQ community, but regardless they are increasingly alienating a huge number of people. Given games are more popular than film and music combined, and this could well be the biggest game of the year.

There’s a non binary girl in my wife’s pole/hoop class who has posted on her socials that if any of her friends play it they should just unfollow her. My wife is scared of posting that she’s playing and loving the game, it’s the first game she’s been excited by in years, and grew up loving Harry Potter.

As this gains more traction, and the level of venom and toxicity increases it could turn a lot of people against the trans community. Given Donald trumps main new platform he’s running on for the next election seems to be focussed around “woke gender identity politics”, promising to codify in law that there’s only two genders, I can’t imagine it’ll be long until the right wing press start going wild with these stories and using it to drive votes. The last election was actually very close (just 20,000 ish votes in the right places would have flipped the electoral college). They don’t need too many people to start to feel alienated and bitter, and then receptive to their messaging to tilt the outcome. This won’t do it alone, but it certainly will not be helping. It’s all extremely damaging and self destructive.

For a game that goes out of its way to ensure inclusivity and diversity, it’s a real shame.
It is though, I think it is like with racism, mostly unrelated people that are virtue signaling, most people are not that dumb, here we all know who @ayleen is and even she's excited for it, wouldn't believe most LGBT people that like games and/or Harry Potter aren't excited for it too

CSJ

AI doesn't have emotion or agenda. At least not yet anyway. Very interesting to see a truly objective analysis on the situation.

Correct, however it can have biased answers from the point of view of the developers enforcing it. That or outright refuse due to the ideals of the creators.

Top Bottom