• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wishmaster92 speculates about what the PS4K and Xbox 12 can do graphically

GavinGT

Banned
How do you actually determine the FLOPS count of a system? Both GPU and CPU are doing floating-point operations, right? So is it measuring the combined efforts of the GPU and CPU?

I was expecting a side by side comparison of PS4 games screenshots and the same games running on PC with slightly bumped graphics settings.
XEUVMPJ.png

(Witcher 3 draw distance digital foundry)

Edit: Full picture from EatChildren http://abload.de/img/w1kxs41.png

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Really? That doesn't seem too far removed from Uncharted to me. There's current gen games that look pretty damn amazing and Neo/ Xbox 1.5 are supposedly 2-4 times more powerful.
Uncharted 4 never has fire that looks anywhere near that and the small amounts of fire it does have cause the framerate to buckle a bit.

Grab any current game you like, pump the resolution to 4K (maybe not all the time), keep the frame rate at 30ish fps...

That's it.

I keep asking this but why are people expecting graphical fidelity increases via the new consoles? Aren't they just an extension of the older consoles that are capable of running VR? Pushing higher fidelity graphics would make the PS4 and XBox One obsolete. And I think that would be a bad idea.

On the other hand, of all we need is a resolution increase, then you can easily put put out the same graphics for the new consoles and the old ones. Which is a scenario I'm thinking is more likely. I dunno. I could be way off....

You need to chill. Just expect better framerates and IQ.

That is exactly what I'm thinking. At best.

Trojan X

Banned
Oh boy... A dream thread. Time to walk out for these threads are a waste of time.

Wait for the official stuff, OP. Stop hurting yourself via speculation.

Javin98

Banned
XEUVMPJ.png

Since you brought up this pic, I must ask if anyone knows where this exact location is. I've been trying to find it since I got the game but no dice. Apparently, Patch 1.03 on consoles states that foliage shadow pop in was reduced. To me, this seems like CDP improved shadow draw distance.

Edit: Wait, that full pic shows it is located at a contract location. I'll try to see what I can find when I boot up the game this weekend.

DOWN

Banned
You do know that all Neo games have to also run on original PS4? Deep Down is gonna be way nerfed if it comes out as rumor has it the game is really struggling on current consoles, so even Neo's boosted version may be hamstrung by the regular consoles and thus lesser than the reveal demo

You uh...really shouldn't expect visuals like that. Especially not flame effects like that. Also really not how it works OP, the majority of those were tech demos. And the only playable ones were early prototypes that would've been hit hard by the realities of games development.

If you've seen Quantum Break on the Xbox One, you would know that's easily possible on a console as powerful as Neo is expected to be.

Crossing Eden

If you've seen Quantum Break on the Xbox One, you would know that's easily possible on a console as powerful as Neo is expected to be.
I've seen QB on XB1, it looks phenomenal, possibly the best looking environments and lighting tech i've seen in a game at the cost of the resolution. But it is a bit limited in comparison to some other games. Less limited than The Order but more limited than UC4 for obvious reasons. Still, i'm struggling to remember any scenes where it pushes fire effects like the ones in the Deep Down prototypes.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
What the Neo would be capable of and the Scorpio capable of based on the leak specs are two different ballparks.

Unlike some here I'm not totally convinced a closed boxed 6TF Scorpio couldn't get in the realm of some of the pics in the OP.

The Neo no shot though especially if the leaks are true in terms of hardware.

Mindlog

I firmly expect the demos to set us up for disappointment again. No matter how powerful the boxes really are PR will be interested in showing something largely impossible.
PCs are in for a treat though. Having console hardware move at a more aggressive pace is a boon to ports.

That Deep Down reveal running on a single 570? come on

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=639093

You can install that demo on pc and run it yourself.

Runs like shit on my gtx 970 (which is significantly above the ps neo's rumored specs, and slighty below xbox 1.5 rumored specs)

It barely runs at 30 fps on a 980ti

Just go to the pc screenshots thread (and imagine slightly less ridiculously high image quality)

On average, it runs quite higher. You have to unlock the framerate by messing around with the ini or recompiling an unlocked version.

A 970 gets anywhere from 20-30s on average, higher when you look at shots with the sky (of which there are lots). The cave at the end gets 30-45fps.

Just my luck, maxfile went down so now my webm is gone.

OT: OP, you should have posted sources for all of that stuff. You're not wrong (but I'm pretty sure the Star Wars one was 3x 580s, at least initially.)

You wont be happy then. You should take note that even the high end of the PC platform cannot even do this reliably yet.

Pretty close. A lot of 50fps+ in here. Division gets 58fps at 4k resolution.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
What the Neo would be capable of and the Scorpio capable of based on the leak specs are two different ballparks.

Unlike some here I'm not totally convinced a closed boxed 6TF Scorpio couldn't get in the realm of some of the pics in the OP.

The Neo no shot though especially if the leaks are true in terms of hardware.

I think that's a long shot, again, those are tech demos presented in a constrained enviorment to maximize fidelity.

Also, Neo and Scorpio's leaked specs aren't that different for such visual disparities between the two, since all we have to go on are GPU roadmaps in the first place for these two systems. The actual GPU gap is actually lower than the GPU gap between XB1 and PS4, which was lower than the GPU gap between the PS2 and OG Xbox.

Whatever Scorpio can do, Neo will be able to do at a marginally lower fidelity.

Omadahl

Banned
If the Neo or Scorpio were $1500 machines, they might get you half-way to the images you're posting. This is a joke thread right?

On the PS4 Neo, you will be basically be getting the PC versions running close to or at Ultra in some cases, nothing more.

The Scorpio on the other hand could be capable of much more if they allow exclusive games to be made for it, assuming the specs are accurate of course. The thing about that is they aren't the market leader. The Xbox could obliterate the PS2 in most cases but the PS2 was the leader and as such was the lead on most games which lead to the Xbox being underutilized.

Man, this industry is in a weird place right now.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I think that's a long shot, again, those are tech demos presented in a constrained enviorment to maximize fidelity.

Also, Neo and Scorpio's leaked specs aren't that different for such visual disparities between the two, since all we have to go on are GPU roadmaps in the first place for these two systems. The actual GPU gap is actually lower than the GPU gap between XB1 and PS4, which was lower than the GPU gap between the PS2 and OG Xbox.

I'm going off the rough 6TF/4.2TF specs. Obviously if Scorpio is more closer to 5TF then yeah. Plus the Neo gonna be cpu constrained even with the up clock. If Boner 2 has new cpu setup it could allow the GPU to flex it's muscle more.

That being said it depends on what numbers we are comparing though.

If the xbox 1.5 comes with zen like the rumor says then it'll be on a completely different level than the ps4.5

RedSwirl

At most we might get the 2012 version of Watch_Dogs at a stable 30fps. Maybe.

Most of the time we're probably just going to get the same games we're getting on consoles now but with more stable framerates, maybe higher framerates in some cases, some more anti-aliasing, and a couple other effects sprinkled on top. It's not even going to be like the difference between a cross-gen game on PS3 versus PS4.

XEUVMPJ.png

Isn't the extra draw distance in the PC versions of games like Witcher 3 and Metal Gear mostly due to the CPU though? From what we know, Neo is going to have the same CPU as the current PS4.

Crossing Eden

ITT: People forgetting that Deep Down was showcased running at 60fps on what was supposed to be a PS4 2 and a half years ago.
It was also an incredibly early prototype. I don't believe the whole game was running that well that early in development especially given the engine issues they are still experiencing.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=639093

On average, it runs quite higher. You have to unlock the framerate by messing around with the ini or recompiling an unlocked version.

A 970 gets anywhere from 20-30s on average, higher when you look at shots with the sky (of which there are lots). The cave at the end gets 30-45fps.

Just my luck, maxfile went down so now my webm is gone.

OT: OP, you should have posted sources for all of that stuff. You're not wrong (but I'm pretty sure the Star Wars one was 3x 580s, at least initially.)

Pretty close. A lot of 50fps+ in here. Division gets 58fps at 4k resolution.
Thanks, i just posted all the sources.

Javin98

Banned
ITT: People forgetting that Deep Down was showcased running at 60fps on what was supposed to be a PS4 2 and a half years ago.
Genuine question here since I didn't follow GAF until late 2014. Was the Deep Down demo even run in real time on the GTX 570? A GTX 570 is around the power of the PS4's GPU, I believe, maybe slightly stronger.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
If the xbox 1.5 comes with zen like the rumor says then it'll be on a completely different level than the ps4.5

The rumor says they are putting zen in there? I thought only the dates matched up for when they would be able to use it, not that they were def putting it in there

Of course, if that's true, the power will indeed be stronger, but still constrained by PS4 and XB1 and NEO all the same as the larger user bases.

FPS would get a huge boost if they went with Zen definitely

Genuine question here since I didn't follow GAF until late 2014. Was the Deep Down demo even run in real time on the GTX 570? A GTX 570 is around the power of the PS4's GPU, I believe, maybe slightly stronger.

The source, now in the OP, has some more detail.

The PS4 GPU is supposed to be slightly faster than its PC equivalent, the AMD 7850, but in an APU configuration.

Here's a rough estimate of how the PC gpu's performed (in 2013).

OF course, this doesn't take into account that an OC'd 750ti (a weaker card on paper) beats the PS4 in 95% of modern games when paired with an i3/i5 CPU.

Being real with you OP, the in game visuals the PS4 and XB1 have cranked out with their underpowered hardware always impresses me because of it looks extremely amazing and a clear jump ahead of last gen despite the limitations

With NEO and Scorpio, i would not expect anything more than cleaned up versions of existing PS4 and XB1 games besides maybe exclusives to the playstation or XB1 ecosystems.

Not because those upgraded components are not capable of more, but because they have to make sure PS4 and XB1 are running smoothly as well and making new assets is probably not worth it.

I have no doubt those upgraded consoles would blow what we've already seen out of the water visually if they were tailored to exclusively...but even then, you should not be comparing tech demo visuals achieved from non applications to results of actual games.

Compare the Dark Sorcerer tech demo running on PS4, to Quantic Dream's next game, Detroit, and its still no contest in terms of environmental detail, effects work, and model density
I agree. One of the differences is model density, however the sorcerer did not have 3d dof present in detroit among more differences.
kara2j1s39.png

Javin98

Banned
The source, now in the OP, has some more detail.

The PS4 GPU is supposed to be slightly faster than its PC equivalent, the AMD 7850, but in an APU configuration.

Here's a rough estimate of how the PC gpu's performed (in 2013).

OF course, this doesn't take into account that an OC'd 750ti (a weaker card on paper) beats the PS4 in 95% of modern games when paired with an i3/i5 CPU.
So, yeah, the PS4's GPU is around the power of the GTX 570. What I'm really wondering is if the Deep Down demo was run in real time on the latter GPU. As for the 750Ti, I would certainly say that it holds its own in many games, but nowhere near 95%, especially in the most recent games. For instance, the PS4 pulled ahead significantly in DOOM. It definitely doesn't beat the PS4 in 95% of games, much less match the PS4 with that figure.

Top Bottom