• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wishmaster92 speculates about what the PS4K and Xbox 12 can do graphically

Z3M0G

Yeah I doubt it.
It's one thing to make a short animation that looks like that and it's another thing to build an entire game like that. Even if the animation was real time

Plus neither Sony or Microsoft seem to be willing to just abandon their current user base (third parties even less so) so they have to continue to make games that can easliy be scaled back to current consoles.

You should be expecting something like this from the Neo:
games-gif-Deep-Down-1036214.gif

At 1080p and with good frame rate. And then a 900P Ps4 version dropping below 30fps during thaat scene
I hope nobody honestly believes this and is setting themselves up for that level of disappointment... that would be beyond a PS3->PS4 level upgrade.

Cross gen games DO exist today, and the differences are not THAT dramatic. Differences between PS4 and Neo games will be even less dramatic.

In TLoU Remastered, you can choose between 60fps with shitty shadows, or 30fps with perfect shadows. Neo would allow 60fps with the perfect shadows. That's pretty much it.

Gurish

Um no... this will not be a generational leap like that.

Keep in mind that those games must still be perfectly playable on current PS4s / XBOs.

There can be NO Neo/Scroprio-Only games.
Yup OP seem to forget this, we will just play cross gen games (or PC versions) on those machines, we won't see any game that will take advantage of the hardware from the gtound up until PS4 and XB1 are stop being supported, and until than, we'd probably hear about PS4K2 and XB2.

I think the Scorpio sounds like a generational leap. 6 TF? That console will be a monster.

This is what I am thinking MS are trying to move on from the Xbox One with the Scorpio. While Sony wants to extend the PS4(K) generation with the Neo.

If Sony launches the Neo this year at $400 and MS launch the Scorpio 12 months later at $500, I think the momentum will stay with Sony. If both release next year and at the same price I could see MS taking back America and Canada with a more powerful box. Outside the UK the rest of the world shows so little interest in the MS brand, I doubt a more powerful box will do very much.

As to the thread, as long as the Neo can produce 1080/60 with added effects for gaiming (with 4K media playback) over the PS4 I will be happy. Sony can make there big push for 4K gaming with the PS5.

Mabufu

Banned

Keep in mind that those games must still be perfectly playable on current PS4s / XBOs.

There can be NEO-Only features tho. Kinda.

This is not known, Some websites have seen documents that say that no Neo only titles can be produced. But it is currently unknown about Scorpio only titles, if MS go down the route of VR support there will have to be games that will not run on the X1.

I hope nobody honestly believes this and is setting themselves up for that level of disappointment... that would be beyond a PS3->PS4 level upgrade.

Cross gen games DO exist today, and the differences are not THAT dramatic. Differences between PS4 and Neo games will be even less dramatic.

In TLoU Remastered, you can choose between 60fps with shitty shadows, or 30fps with perfect shadows. Neo would allow 60fps with the perfect shadows. That's pretty much it.

Haha, wtf? TLOUR 30fps only got pretty (probably dumb/brute-forced) shadows as an extra because that's all they had time to do. With twice the GPU, a Neo patch for Uncharted 4 could clean up its shadows, improve some of the weakest alpha effects (water) AND probably keep cinematics-quality shaders/lighting running during gameplay.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Old PS4 Deep Down stuff, while it did not look like the initial demo it was still pretty impressive.

The bit with the dragon is at the end of this video its still the most impressive fire I have seen in a game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIRUImPWaOo

I think this is why the game was put on the back burner the graphics were fine and the performance was as well I am not convinced about the gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQa2VwNV-6E

The XBScorpio and PS4Neo will be capable of pushing things that the PS4 and XB1 cannot but I really doubt that will happen as long as those systems are being supported.

Yeah I doubt it.
It's one thing to make a short animation that looks like that and it's another thing to build an entire game like that. Even if the animation was real time

Plus neither Sony or Microsoft seem to be willing to just abandon their current user base (third parties even less so) so they have to continue to make games that can easliy be scaled back to current consoles.

At 1080p and with good frame rate. And then a 900P Ps4 version dropping below 30fps during thaat scene

I don't get it. On those videos where they not playing the demo in the PS4?

Was it fake?

Because if not, we already achieved that. Well, in a demo, since the game is never coming out lol

Chumpion

For a generational leap we have to wait for devs to stop targeting PS4 and XB1 as a baseline. That won't happen anytime soon.

The updated models can be more appropriately compared to gaming PCs, which already have 4 times the power or more and jack shit to show for it. ;D

Lister

Banned
For a generational leap we have to wait for devs to stop targeting PS4 and XB1 as a baseline. That won't happen anytime soon.

The updated models can be more appropriately compared to gaming PCs, which already have 4 times the power or more and jack shit to show for it. ;D

Not sure if kidding... Smiley face might be sarcastic. Help!

Gestault

I feel like a lot of this generation has been people coming to terms with how actual visual output scales with hardware/rendering capability. Realizing that X% more rendering power often won't even translate to the difference between low and high quality AA can be tough when you expect something way beyond that.

I think the Scorpio sounds like a generational leap. 6 TF? That console will be a monster.

This is not known, Some websites have seen documents that say that no Neo only titles can be produced. But it is currently unknown about Scorpio only titles, if MS go down the route of VR support there will have to be games that will not run on the X1.

Even with those specs, Scorpio won't be strong enough to work with the Rift at 90fps though ( Unless the hardware is more powerful than what is rumoured to be).

Oculus Rift was made for PCs but then they wanted to bring it to consoles after, so it's harder to do that while PSVR was smartly designed for the PS4 (and Now PS4 Neo) so that will work without a problem

Old PS4 Deep Down stuff, while it did not look like the initial demo it was still pretty impressive.

The bit with the dragon is at the end of this video its still the most impressive fire I have seen in a game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIRUImPWaOo

I think this is why the game was put on the back burner the graphics were fine and the performance was as well I am not convinced about the gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQa2VwNV-6E

The XBScorpio and PS4Neo will be capable of pushing things that the PS4 and XB1 cannot but I really doubt that will happen as long as those systems are being supported.
it will be interesting when they re-unveil deep down (I think it was rumored to be running on the neo because it was too weak for ps4?) Last time I heard about the game was like tgs 2014 I believe. The resolution dropped from 1080p to 720p and it had no anti aliasing to speak of. In addition the framerate was increased to 60fps and they added procedural levels. I could've sworn it was running on ps4 then.

it will be interesting when they re-unveil deep down (I think it was rumored to be running on the neo because it was too weak for ps4?) Last time I heard about the game was like tgs 2014 I believe. The resolution dropped from 080p to 720p and it had no anti aliasing to speak of. In addition the framerate was increased to 60fps and they added procedural levels. I could've sworn it was running on ps4 then.

From where did you hear/read about this? Did you come to that conclusion from the ultra low res streams at that time?

I think pre-downgrade Watch_Dogs and Star Wars 1313 graphics are achiavable in current-gen consoles.
Deep Down? No.

The only things impressive in Deep Down reveal were the dynamic voxel based GI and the dynamic fluids and fire. The rest isn''t that impressive by today's standards

vaderise

The only things impressive in Deep Down reveal were the dynamic voxel based GI and the dynamic fluids and fire. The rest isn''t that impressive by today's standards

Okay i can agree about Deep Down not having the best graphics ever made but all the stuff going on at the screen simultaneously... I think it's still very impressive.

From where did you hear/read about this? Did you come to that conclusion from the ultra low res streams at that time?
These are one of the "deep downgrade" shots when everyone got pissed off it didn't look like what it was promised.

image_deep_down-23241-2664_0004.jpg

On my phone but I am certain if you pixel count it is 720

NeOak

OP, that's not how it works.

That's like saying "Orange TFs are the same as Grape TFs" or something.

These are one of the "deep downgrade" shots when everyone got pissed off it didn't look like what it was promised.

image_deep_down-23241-2664_0004.jpg

On my phone but I am certain if you pixel count it is 720

Weird indeed but Gamersyde even uploads 4K pics of games that aren't supposed tot be 4K and Uncharted 4 is a recent example. We can't consider that as confirmation unless the devs themselves confirm that or DF.

thelastword

Banned
I hope the new PS4s and Xbox One's are less powerful than a gtx 970, because I don't want my 970 to be obviated by a console so quickly.
It is, Neo's GPU is about a 390x, even if the NEO had a GPU with equal power to a 970, the graphics you would see on the system would definitely exceed what you would typically see with a 970 at 1080p (on PC).

The closed box nature of the platform allows for more impressive visuals, especially backed by first party efforts. Imagine what you've ALREADY seen with a slightly dialled back 7870 in the current PS4, and what first parties would be able to do with such a powerful GPU in the NEO.

Odorono

Banned
It is, Neo's GPU is about a 390x, even if the NEO had a GPU with equal power to a 970, the graphics you would see on the system would definitely exceed what you would typically see with a 970 at 1080p (on PC).

The closed box nature of the platform allows for more impressive visuals, especially backed by first party efforts. Imagine what you've ALREADY seen with a slightly dialled back 7870 in the current PS4, and what first parties would be able to do with such a powerful GPU in the NEO.

Not sure this will be the case as much with all the different platforms there will be.

I think people are underestimating the capability of these rumored systems. I wouldn't be surprised if launch window Neo games surpass Uncharted 4 or Witcher 3 (PC) visuals. It's too bad Neo won't have additional RAM, or a more powerful CPU, but it's definitely a generous GPU boost.

Even with those specs, Scorpio won't be strong enough to work with the Rift at 90fps though ( Unless the hardware is more powerful than what is rumoured to be).

The 6TF GPU that Scorpio is rumored to have is above the minimum specs listed by Oculus (AMD 290). There is no information about CPU or RAM, information on those is required before a determination on OC VR capability can be made. As of now, the one rumored spec we have for Scorpio should be capable of hitting 90fps.

Standards? What standards? That demo had poly counts and texture work as good as the very best this gen has had to offer. I guess if standards means games like Uncharted 4 and The Order then sure, but that's not a standard.

The biggest thing is the fact that they were wanting that game to run at 60FPS. And that is the part that was complete fantasy. If they ran it at 30FPS then they could probably do a decent job of "approximating" the original trailer, but they promised 60FPS and there was no way in hell that was going to happen.

Venom Fox

Banned
This is what I am thinking MS are trying to move on from the Xbox One with the Scorpio. While Sony wants to extend the PS4(K) generation with the Neo.

If Sony launches the Neo this year at $400 and MS launch the Scorpio 12 months later at $500, I think the momentum will stay with Sony. If both release next year and at the same price I could see MS taking back America and Canada with a more powerful box. Outside the UK the rest of the world shows so little interest in the MS brand, I doubt a more powerful box will do very much.

As to the thread, as long as the Neo can produce 1080/60 with added effects for gaiming (with 4K media playback) over the PS4 I will be happy. Sony can make there big push for 4K gaming with the PS5.
But if both Sony and Microsft launch next year they will both have comparable power so how would MS gain customers? Sony is launching this year or they've upgraded Neo to launch next year.

Standards? What standards? That demo had poly counts and texture work as good as the very best this gen has had to offer. I guess if standards means games like Uncharted 4 and The Order then sure, but that's not a standard.

The biggest thing is the fact that they were wanting that game to run at 60FPS. And that is the part that was complete fantasy. If they ran it at 30FPS then they could probably do a decent job of "approximating" the original trailer, but they promised 60FPS and there was no way in hell that was going to happen.

The character models looked meh in game with non efficient and not natural skin shader and the hair is even non existent: one knight with helmet, one bald monk, and the orc's hair is just a texture with some floating artefacts over it (check). Textures look blurry in many places (check).

About 60 FPS and 1080. There were very ambitious devs who wanted to hit 1080p @ 60 FPS.on PS3! Their engine was even called RTE1080 (Real Time Engine 1080).

You guessed what game (or should I say defunct tech demos from a defunct studio):
Wardevil

The character models looked meh in game with non efficient and not natural skin shader and the hair is even non existent: one knight with helmet, one bald monk, and the orc's hair is just a texture with some floating artefacts over it (check). Textures look blurry in many places (check).

About 60 FPS and 1080. There were very ambitious devs who wanted to hit 1080p @ 60 FPS.on PS3! Their engine was even called RTE1080 (Real Time Engine 1080).

You guessed what game (or should I say defunct tech demos from a defunct studio):
Wardevil

Wasn't Wardevil basically a scam though? I remember stories about those guys basically promising more and more and delivering nothing.

And the character rendering isn't best in class, but those environments looked incredible. I can find low resolution textures in virtually any game out there, most of the texture work in that demo was fantastic.

Clearly there were issues though. They were running on hardware that was a decent enough substitute for the PS4 outside of the i7 which of course blows the weak jaguar cores out of the water. But It looks to me like Deep Down was plagued more by Capcom making some big mistakes with that new engine more than anything else. I still think it was foolish of them to abandon MT Framework.

nOoblet16

Yeah I doubt it.

Considering current version of Deep down looks worse (although it's 60FPS) and yet only manages 720P in a tiny area PS4K won't be able to hit 1080P with those visuals in an area that's not absolutely tiny and confined.

Wasn't Wardevil basically a scam though? I remember stories about those guys basically promising more and more and delivering nothing.

And the character rendering isn't best in class, but those environments looked incredible. I can find low resolution textures in virtually any game out there, most of the texture work in that demo was fantastic.

Clearly there were issues though. They were running on hardware that was a decent enough substitute for the PS4 outside of the i7 which of course blows the weak jaguar cores out of the water. But It looks to me like Deep Down was plagued more by Capcom making some big mistakes with that new engine more than anything else. I still think it was foolish of them to abandon MT Framework.

I don't disagree with you.

Many devs make many mistakes. Look Now Cpacom aren't even fond of their Panta Rhei engine and they won't be using it in full scale and they opted for UE4 instead for Dead Rising 4: http://thisgengaming.com/2016/05/31...com-vancouver-may-or-may-not-be-an-exclusive/

Just like Square Enix won't be relying much on their Luminous Engine and they chose UE4 for FF7R and KH3.

I think some japanese devs are going more secure for their flagships series by using something more established and stable like UE4.

Wagram

Yeah I doubt it.

Not a chance in hell.

I don't disagree with you.

Many devs make many mistakes. Look Now Cpacom aren't even fond of their Panta Rhei engine and they won't be using it in full scale and they opted for UE4 instead for Dead Rising 4: http://thisgengaming.com/2016/05/31...com-vancouver-may-or-may-not-be-an-exclusive/

Just like Square Enix won't be relying much on their Luminous Engine and they chose UE4 for FF7R and KH3.

I think some japanese devs are going more secure for their flagships series by using something more established and stable like UE4.

Must have missed that news. Man, that is pretty damning to Panta Rhei. And after they did so well with MT Framework last gen.

I'm pretty sure SE has said that the main reason they didn't want to use Luminous for anything else right now is because they wanted to ship a game with it before they decide if it will work for anything else in the future. Wish they had used that good judgement in the past.

I don't get it. On those videos where they not playing the demo in the PS4?

Was it fake?

Because if not, we already achieved that. Well, in a demo, since the game is never coming out lol

I'm pretty sure this demo was running on a PS4 devkit at 1080p native and 60 fps.

And for today standards, it's not that impressive.

Infamous Second Son does a lot of things better with floaty 40 fps

Top Bottom