• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wishmaster92 speculates about what the PS4K and Xbox 12 can do graphically

If these consoles can do 4k at 60fps, I'll be happy.

Jameson-Laughing-Gif-12.gif

CryptiK

You are going to be disappointed if you think thats what you are getting.. Even if it ends up like this you will still be stuck in 30FPS land.

As for the 750Ti, I would certainly say that it holds its own in many games, but nowhere near 95%, especially in the most recent games. For instance, the PS4 pulled ahead significantly in DOOM. It definitely doesn't beat the PS4 in 95% of games, much less match the PS4 with that figure.

This is something I've seen wondering about. As you said the PS4 has managed to pull ahead of the 750Ti probably due to developers getting the hang of the PS4 hardware and optimizing for it. Now with new machines right around the corner will developers continue to squeeze every bit of performance out of the XB1 and PS4 or will the focus on the new boxes? I suppose noone knows since iterative consoles are a first for the industry.

I always felt like the Kite Demo from Epic is good example of what a generation of consoles built around a GTX 970 could achieve. It seriously looks a whole generation beyond what we a currently getting.

AmyS

That Deep Down reveal running on a single 570? come on

Deep Down ran on a 570? if so, I'm proud of my old hand-me-down GPU.

Genuine question here since I didn't follow GAF until late 2014. Was the Deep Down demo even run in real time on the GTX 570? A GTX 570 is around the power of the PS4's GPU, I believe, maybe slightly stronger.

Here are the base specs for GTX 570

SuV1x6Q.jpg

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/269/geforce-gtx-570

GTX 570 = 1.4 [Nv]TFLOPS, but one cannot compare Nvidia Flops to AMD Flops, in completely different architectures.

Besides it doesn't matter anyway because the PC that ran Deep Down had an Intel Core i7, which annihilates PS4's CPU.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Why did so many people buy these demos when they came out?

'demos'?

In general, the PS4 and XB1 consoles sold at launch, sell today and will sell long after the other consoles have launched as budget alternatives. There's more to gaming than power

*EDIT* i thought you meant the hardware, my mistake. It was just pure hype and graphics power wars

Javin98

Banned
This is something I've seen wondering about. As you said the PS4 has managed to pull ahead of the 750Ti probably due to developers getting the hang of the PS4 hardware and optimizing for it. Now with new machines right around the corner will developers continue to squeeze every bit of performance out of the XB1 and PS4 or will the focus on the new boxes? I suppose noone knows since iterative consoles are a first for the industry.
Honestly, this is a question that no one can properly answer until the new consoles release. I believe devs will still optimize well for the current batch of consoles, but that largely depends on budget and time allocated to devs and the ease to create two different versions. The latter of which depends entirely if Sony and Microsoft make it easy for devs.

_woLf

A better comparison would be Witcher 3 on high and ultra.

These games will still need to run on first gen PS4s and Xbox's.

This.

OP, your examples are all highly-optimized tech demos meant to show off potential, not actuality.

Not sure why people are making fun of OP, I don't see anything too outrageous there tbh. Sure, developers will need to cut some corners here and there, and actual gameplay will probably not have extremely high image quality (compared to in game cutscenes). But I absolutely do expect to see higher quality effects.

Still salty about 1313, you just hhhaadd to bring it back up lol. I think people need to get their expectations in line. The difference isn't a new gen.

Deep Down will never hit that graphics even on the ps4k.

I don't know why people are expecting a massive leap in graphics for the PS4K, the graphics will be the same but faster frame rate/resolution.

The Scorpio is a bit different, until we see more details that could have better graphics but for the time being its all bullshoot style hype.

ffvorax

Well... no.

Stop believe that graphic will change significantly with these "slim/upgrade" versions of PS4 and XBOX1... at the best we will have more fps/higher resolution.

I believe we will have no differences, like the New 3DS... (just a more responsive system)

I think some people's expectations of Neo being some sort of huge upgrade on the original need to be lowered abit,or your going to be very disappointed

Why did so many people buy these demos when they came out?

It's been over a decade since E3 2005's Killzone 2 and MotorStorm trailers set unrealistic expectations for what the PS3 could do, and here we are again.

Based on the leaked specs for the new half-step consoles, they may well be able to run some of those tech demos if they were developed into actual games, but the issue is that blowing up (already enormously expensive) AAA development costs by effectively branching every major release into two separate games isn't going to be feasible for most devs, nor is it realistic to expect. It's going to be about Ultra PC settings and VR until the next full-fledged PS5/XBNext launch, at least assuming MS doesn't simply psych everyone out and declare the Scorpio as the start of a new generation and drop XBone support and backwards compatibility requirements.

If these consoles can do 4k at 60fps, I'll be happy.

Sure, for the re-re-release of Uncharted 1/2/3, but not for current gen stuff. There's no way their $400-600 box is going to double the framerate (which actually requires more than twice the horsepower) and quadruple the resolution of titles like Uncharted 4.

zoukka

Your average GAF'er has no basic grasp of game graphics.

Every generation the same misinformation and hopeless delusion arises as gamers eat the PR bullshit with a smile on their faces.

Haha, well you can't blame it all on the fanbase :) It was publishers that created unrealistic tech demos and it was console makers that talked about supercharged architectures and the power of the cloud.

You don't have to buy the snake oil.

Gurish

Hmm you're not going to get those until they stop supporting PS4 and XB1, until than you will probably get PC like versions of PS4 and XB1 games, not that it's bad but we shouldn't expect developers to try to use those machines in interesting ways until than.

orioto

Good Art™
Yeah I doubt it.
It's one thing to make a short animation that looks like that and it's another thing to build an entire game like that. Even if the animation was real time

Plus neither Sony or Microsoft seem to be willing to just abandon their current user base (third parties even less so) so they have to continue to make games that can easliy be scaled back to current consoles.

You should be expecting something like this from the Neo:
games-gif-Deep-Down-1036214.gif

At 1080p and with good frame rate. And then a 900P Ps4 version dropping below 30fps during thaat scene

To all the guys in the thread saying it's not possible on PS4 Neo....

This was a multiplayer playable demo on ps4 you fools -___- We all watched it live. It was already super downgraded compared the the initial target render. There is not even a thing in this gif that lets you actually determine how are the graphics, the assets etc... You're ridiculous guys.

I swear i always see poeple on GAF acting like this gif was part of the bullshit video, when it was a playable demo, that's pathetic.

c0de

Your average GAF'er has no basic grasp of game graphics.

Every generation the same misinformation and hopeless delusion arises as gamers eat the PR bullshit with a smile on their faces.

Why change when it works? Even on GAF which should tell us something.

valkyre

The new consoles are going to be held back by the old consoles. You will just get a new texture pack , higher resolution shadows and more consistent framerate...

There wont be any differences regarding the geometry or polycount...

Welcome to the infinite cross gen gaming.

I wouldn't expect a massive upgrade in graphics unless they allow for exclusive games down the line. That is the only way they can take full advantage of the more powerful hardware because developers have to make all games work on the base console too.

Most of that extra power will just be used on things like AA, AF, Framerate and Resolution, not a bad thing of course but it will probably be more like comparing a PC game running on Medium settings to Ultra settings, a nice difference but not something that looks like a totally different game.

c0de

The new consoles are going to be held back by the old consoles. You will just get a new texture pack , higher resolution shadows and more consistent framerate...

There wont be any differences regarding the geometry or polycount...

Welcome to the infinite cross gen gaming.

Welcome to PC ports of all time... I mean, what do you expect? Certain things in gaming cost certain amount of computing time. If you see that or think that it is worth it is up to you but don't expect magical things from something that has to render in real time.

Gurish

we'll be lucky if PS5 games look like the shots in the OP

Don't exaggerate, PS5 will surpass DD and SW, actually they are not that much better looking than some parts in U4.

Only Square's demo look like something that next gen won't handle, at least not on a big scale.

martino

Haha, well you can't blame it all on the fanbase :) It was publishers that created unrealistic tech demos and it was console makers that talked about supercharged architectures and the power of the cloud.

in their defence initial specs of current console must have been stronger then...
this is why we got a lot of reveal /early developped games at 900p)

Yeah I doubt it.
It's one thing to make a short animation that looks like that and it's another thing to build an entire game like that. Even if the animation was real time

Plus neither Sony or Microsoft seem to be willing to just abandon their current user base (third parties even less so) so they have to continue to make games that can easliy be scaled back to current consoles.

You should be expecting something like this from the Neo:
games-gif-Deep-Down-1036214.gif

At 1080p and with good frame rate. And then a 900P Ps4 version dropping below 30fps during thaat scene

Lol
Come on...

Z3M0G

Um no... this will not be a generational leap like that.

Keep in mind that those games must still be perfectly playable on current PS4s / XBOs.

There can be NO Neo/Scroprio-Only games.

Top Bottom