• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 and Diversity (Luke Maciak)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought this was a good read, by Luke Maciak on the lack of diversity and importance of representation along with corrections for people thinking Witcher games are based on Slavic mythology or history. Considering how much CD Projekt Red was harping about Witcher 3 being grounded in reality with various social issues like "even racism", not having non-white characters seems a bit of a stretch when reality isn't just white people.
As an actual Slavic person, who was born and grew up in Poland, I feel that I should chime in here.
Witcher 3 and Diversity (Luke Maciak)

"Not because of mythology or history or book lore"
Witcher 3 does not contain any people of color not because of “mythology” or “history” or “book lore” but most likely because CD Project Red never even considered adding non white characters to their game. They literally forgot that non-white people even exist, which is something that happens when you are a white person, living in predominantly white culture, and consuming predominantly white media. You can literally spend a few years making a cool video game, designing awesome monsters, and interesting characters, and not even once consider giving one of them a darker skin color. Folks who made the game not evil racists (at least I don’t think they are), they just happened to do a thing that white people very often do, which is to ignore everyone that does not look like them. By doing so they contributed to erasure of non-white people in the industry. Witcher 3 is yet another game that features exactly zero people of color. This is a problem.
"It's an issue that is bigger than video games"
It may not be a problem to you, but it is one to many, many people who love and enjoy video games. If you don’t understand why it is a problem to them, or why they would like to see themselves represented in their media… Well, you are a part of the problem.

If Witcher 3 was the only game released this year which was found lacking with respect to race and representation, we would not be having this discussion. But it is not. It is a part of a cultural trend that extends beyond video games and into all popular media we consume. It’s an issue that is bigger than video games.

Because of that, criticism that calls game devs out for lacking diversity it is valid, and constructive. This is something we most definitely should be talking about in reviews, so that CD Project Red (and the industry as a whole) can improve. After all, the dev team did not fail out of menace, but out of ignorance. And the only way to combat ignorance is to make people aware of these issues. Defending the lack of diversity in the game citing “mythology” or “historical accuracy” is incredibly silly and disingenuous.
"So anyone telling you that Witcher 3 is based on actual Slavic mythology is full of shit."
Firstly, Slavic mythology isn’t really a thing. You can’t talk about it in the same way as you talk about Norse mythology or ancient Greek or even Egyptian mythology. There is no concrete body of mythological lore you can print in a book, or use as a game setting.

The ancient Slavic people that roamed central and eastern Europe left virtually no written records. Most of their religious beliefs, customs, rituals and stories have been very successfully erased from history by the efforts of the Catholic Church. For example, there is no such thing as a Slavic people’s version of the creation myth. Doubtlessly such a myth must have existed, but we have no knowledge of it. It was lost to history. While we know of a handful of Slavic gods that were worshiped, most of what we know about them is based on conjecture based on analysis of the precious few stone and wooden idols that were not smashed or burned by the Inquisition, and church records.

In fact, most of what we know about the religious customs of the day has been sourced from notes of Christian monks about three or four hundred years after the last pagans have died. The same monks who have been actively suppressing that very knowledge for more than a few centuries. There are scant few bits and pieces of folklore that has survived to this day via oral tradition and custom, but even those were mostly scrubbed clean out of their original meanings. So anyone telling you that Witcher 3 is based on actual Slavic mythology is full of shit. We literally know more about the religion and myths of fictional land of Westeros than those of very real, pre-Christian Slavic people.
"Witcher 3 pedigree is as much D&D, pulp fantasy and Tolkien as it is Slavic mythology"
Yes, some of the names of the monsters in the game are indeed based on Slavic, and more specifically Polish folklore. But the rest is almost entirely made up. The Witcher novels on which the game is based are pretty standard Fantasy with some “domestic” themes and folklore thrown in. In fact, A. Sapkowski’s entire shtick for early Witcher stories was to take a classic fairy tale (more often something from Grimm Brother’s rather than from actual Slavic folklore), apply 90’s style “edgy” filter by making everyone curse like a sailor, have the Witcher blunder into the mess and then reveal the good guys are actually the bad guys at the end. The books are standard Fantasy pulp, with very standard Fantasy elves and dwarfs imported directly from Tolkien. Geralt’s story arc pivots around fairy tales and trope subversions to ultimately fall into an Arthurian heroic archetype. Sapkowski swims in anachronisms and constantly winks at the readers to the point of breaking the fourth wall.

Also, Witchers, mutated monster slayers with super powers are not, and never have been part of Slavic mythology. Or any mythology for that matter. They are entirely made up by A. Sapkowski who, could easily trademark the term “witcher”, if he has not done so already.

Witcher 3 pedigree is as much D&D, pulp fantasy and Tolkien as it is Slavic mythology. So please, spare me the whole “based on Slavic mythology” excuse, because it is bullshit.
"We really don’t know all that much about our pagan ancestors"
The argument from “historical accuracy” is also moot and void, because the game does not take place in a historical period, but in an entirely imaginary setting. But if we wanted to be sticklers about it and say it is supposed to be “based on” Poland as it existed at some point in time (but, you know, with elves, and werewolfs and drowners) it still would not make sense. As I mentioned above, we don’t know much about Polish history prior to year 966, when pagan chieftain Mieszko I was baptized and crowned by the Roman Catholic Pope. This was a shrewd political move as it legitimized Poland as an official Christian nation, and meant our western neighbors could no longer try to annex our territories in the name of “spreading the faith”. The story of Mieszko is literally page one of our official history as a nation. We really don’t know all that much about our pagan ancestors. We do know that Slavic people did travel and traded by sea and by land, and not just with their immediate neighbors because that’s what you do when you are in Europe.
"Poland, as you may be aware is not some lonely island in the middle of a Pacific ocean where it would be isolated from other cultures . It is a country smack dab in the middle of the big cultural melting pot that is Europe."
Brandt_Skladanie_sztandarow-640x401.jpg

Painting by Polish artist Józef_Brandt depicting the scene from a Polish-Ottoman war.

Poland, as you may be aware is not some lonely island in the middle of a Pacific ocean where it would be isolated from other cultures . It is a country smack dab in the middle of the big cultural melting pot that is Europe. At the height of it’s power, Polish and Polish allied territories stretched from the Baltic to the Black Sea. Poles traded with, and warred with the Ottoman Empire, Tartars, Mongols and etc.. Polish medieval fashion was full of Eastern or Southern influences. The staple of Polish nobleman attire were ornamental silk belts, and Winged Husars (elite cavalrymen) would adorn their armor with leopard pelts. Neither silk nor leopards are native to Poland, but these materials were imported from Asian and African nations. That means traders, scholars, political envoys… Not to mention that Polish territories also have always had sizable population of Roma people.
"If CD Project Red wanted to be even a little bit diverse, they could totally do it"

Cd Projekt Red already uses arbitrary artistic license, such as dwarfs with Scottish accents, plot-induced amnesia, among other differences, so non-white characters isn't all that groundbreaking if they wanted to do it.
But, once again, the world of Witcher 3 is not historical Poland. You don’t really even need a plausible explanation. If CD Project Red wanted to be even a little bit diverse, they could totally do it. Perhaps by including some traders from the tropical Zerrikania that is mentioned but never described it in much detail in the books. Or maybe some people who live in Southern parts of Nilfgraad Empire happen be brown and some of them become soldiers in the army that is now occupying the Northen territories? Because, why not?

Someone could argue that this would be breaking with the so called “book lore”, but would it be though? The developers of the game already had to take many liberties with the source material when they translated and packaged it for English speaking audiences. For example, all the Dwarfs in the game have Scottish sounding accents. Why is that? Well, mainly because of Peter Jackson’s portrayal of Gimli I assume. Sapkowski never specified that his Dwarfs sound vaguely like Scots because in his books they do not. They all speak Common, a language which just happens to sound like Polish because Common languages in fantasy setting always happen to sound like whatever the fuck language the story is written in. It’s a fantasy trope.

But when the voices for the characters were recorded, the development team made an arbitrary choice to make Dwarfs sound one way and not another. There have been plenty of other arbitrary choices made to fill in the gaps, or flesh out things that were not described in much details in the book. Sapkowski never really said that all of his characters are intended to be white. Some characters are described as fair skinned or pale, but nowhere in the books does it say that everyone is. So would making a character whose ethnicity and skin color are never mentioned to be non-white a bigger departure from the source than say… Giving Geralt a plot induced amnesia and having him wander through the world, having weird non-cannon adventures in between the books. You know, like CD Project Red have been doing since their first Witcher game?

So please, stop using my culture and heritage to try to validate your own prejudices. As an actual Pole, and someone who read the Witcher novels before the games introduced them to English speaking world, I can tell you that I would not mind seeing people of color depicted in that universe. If you do mind, and the very idea of that offends you for some reason, then that’s entirely on you.

In before someone thinks talking about this automatically means forcing CD Projekt Red to do anything. Diversity and representation matter no matter how small, unless if someone's privilege has made them ignorant about different cultures and they've never had to think about it.

Maybe CD Projekt Red wanted to avoid tokenism because they felt they didn't have enough expertise with writing non-white characters so didn't want to come off stereotype-ish and so avoided the issue altogether. Maybe they just didn't have anyone on the staff or any professional minority advocate/consultant who they could consult on such matters, compared to devs like Bioware (Dragon Age Inquisition was praised for its diversity). Maybe they just didn't have enough time.

Selection_002-640x384.png

Things that are not authentic Slavic mythology: dwarfs, elves, witchers and whatever the fuck that horned thing is.
haha

Polish dev making a game on a Polish book that has a lot of Polish mytholygy. Hmm I wonder why there aren't any different looks of people. Anyone who complains about this is just being ridiculous.

Squire

Banned
Polish dev making a game on a Polish book that has a lot of Polish mytholygy. Hmm I wonder why there aren't any different looks of people. Anyone who complains about this is just being ridiculous.

Their game is not exclusively sold in Poland.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Good article. Thanks for posting.
Fucking lol, is this a parody post?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
As a black male, I seriously could not care any less that there are no black people in the game. As a light skinned black male who is often confused for some kind of Mexican, I could also not care any less that there aren't any kinds of Mexicans in it.

Reg

Banned
But if they start adding brown people, then how can I relate? I would probably have to install mods to remove them and make me feel safe.

Sh1ner

As someone who is British Indian I don't care. I am not offended by the Witcher 3s lack of minority characters. I am happy that they pushed games forward by at least making females than just sex appeal.

Game probably will be my GOTY.

JDSN

Banned
Good article so far, its kind of a shame the game has become a media darling because it has brought the attention of people that like to argue about how nothing should ever be argued. The thread for the original was full of introspective posts discussion some of the questionable things that happen in the game, including the antagonists which certainly dont fit any slavic lore. But now itd the third game and:

sasliquid

I may just be assuming but I always assumed zerrikanians in the books had darker toned skinned so it's not like there are other skin colours in the lore.

As a black male, I seriously could not care any less that there are no black people in the game. As a light skinned black male who is often confused for some kind of Mexican, I could also not care any less that there aren't any kinds of Mexicans in it.

Gonna need Asians and Native Americans represented as well. As long as we can make sure nobody's left out, this game will surely make the world a better place. Somehow.

Virdix

Dont worry as a white male im offended for you.

This is a joke, am i going to get banned? I usually avoid controversial stuff like this on GAF out of fear.

thefit

"some kind of Mexican" gee thanks for that comment amigo.

dex3108

And here is nice answer to that article.

https://medium.com/@adrianchm/on-the-witcher-3-and-racial-quotas-in-art-e6a9f594439

And i wanted to stop reading Lukes article when i saw this

Firstly, Polish/Slavic mythology isn’t really a thing. You can’t talk about it in the same way as you talk about Norse mythology or ancient Greek or even Egyptian mythology. There is no concrete body of mythological lore you can print in a book, or use as a game setting.

and Adrian noticed same.

Moobabe

Yeah I read this and I take issue with a couple of the things he says: (I'm quoting your shortened versions for ease)

"So anyone telling you that Witcher 3 is based on actual Slavic mythology is full of shit."

He open by saying that Slavic Mythology isn't a real thing. Then tells us how it is a thing but there's no evidence of what it was.

Yes, some of the names of the monsters in the game are indeed based on Slavic, and more specifically Polish folklore. But the rest is almost entirely made up. The Witcher novels on which the game is based are pretty standard Fantasy with some “domestic” themes and folklore thrown in.

Then tells us that some of the stuff in the game is from Slavic and Polish folklore...

I understand that representation of minorities (or rather anyone but white males) is an issue in games. But The Witcher series has never struck me as maliciously racist or sexist; instead the world feels cohesive. I don't buy his argument that CD Projekt could have included black people "just because the game has scottish accents on dwarves." Surely we don't want, as you suggest, token characters?

It's a difficult position to come in opposition to, which is what I resent the most. You have to be so careful in trying to argue against these articles without sounding racist.

And here is nice answer to that article.

https://medium.com/@adrianchm/on-the-witcher-3-and-racial-quotas-in-art-e6a9f594439

And i wanted to stop reading Lukes article when i saw this

Thanks for posting this - that article is much more coherent that I was.

Yea, it's definitely a disappointment for me that there's actually not a single non-white character in the game.

And it totally makes the whole "racism" issue within the game get taken in a different light by me.

Yes. You're entitled to how you feel about things.

And there are people out there who do care and who do want more diversity.

AJLma

I'm loving TW3, but I was wondering if this would ever be brought up.

A complete lack of diversity and a suspect but not outright disrespectful portrayal of females throughout my 30ish hours with it so far did strike me as odd.

I don't feel that the game deserves shit for it though, Geralt himself suffers discrimination as an albino.

Tacitus_

Witcher 1 had a black dude

The thing is, he traveled a long way to be in the Northern Kingdoms from his homeland of Zerrikania. Where black people live in the Witcher universe. The games happen in the Northern Kingdoms.

There isn't even one jewish person.

This game is anti-semitic too!

Everyone scream "include me" at the same time and maybe next time we'll truly get a game that features all races and cultures.

After all, offending someone is the WORST thing you can do.

The way I see it, there's no intended racism in the lack of ethnic diversity, just, as the article alludes to, an innocent oversight due to a lack of ethnic diversity in both the development studios staff and the area of the world they live in.

Would more racially varied characters be an overall improvement? Yes, of course, but the lack there of isn't in and of itself a negative, especially given the games otherwise very progressive and inclusive approach to characters and narrative.

LQX

Ha! Reads like a YouTube top comment. Pat yourself on the back.

iNvid02

Now that you mention it this wold have been the last thing I would have thought of playing the the witcher. I think articles like these fail in that they proactively go and seek try to find any issue or warp things to be issues.

zaccheus

Banned

I'm filipino and I think it'd be ridiculous to expect to see filipinos in this game based on medieval mythology and high fantasy stuff. we've entered a culture of outrage. i guess witcher was so good at everything there has to be some controversy to be found.

Really, really, really great article. Should be the go-to source when having this conversation about representation in media. Really fully encapsulates the whole issue in a non-inflammatory way.

Excellent to see somebody putting this out.

This doesn't mean every game is obligated to feature a quota of represented individuals. It's about awareness. The phenomenon described in this article is prevalent and common in cinema especially. Everybody should be reminded. Everybody should have this kind of self-awareness.

edit: Any other context about the author or his work is unknown to me. Reacting exclusively to the quotes in the OP, I maintain my response.

Perun

Witcher 3 is yet another game that features exactly zero people of color. This is a problem.

This is beyond ridiculous. How the hell is this a problem? Should they include non-white people in the game just for the sake of appeasing this crowd? What's the point otherwise?

The only non-white people in the books saga I remember were two female Zerrikanian warriors totally irrelevant to the story.

Firstly, Slavic mythology isn’t really a thing. You can’t talk about it in the same way as you talk about Norse mythology or ancient Greek or even Egyptian mythology. There is no concrete body of mythological lore you can print in a book, or use as a game setting.
.. the hell? Just because it doesn't have as many written sources to be considered as rich as Greek/Norse mythology doesn't disqualify it as a mythology. Stories were rather spread orally, many traditions, myths and legends survived to this day. This person has no idea what mythology is.

So please, stop using my culture and heritage to try to validate your own prejudices.
This isn't about them being prejudiced, if anything it's about consistency with Sapkowski's saga. Racism is one of the CENTRAL THEMES in his universe, just because he uses dwarves and elves to convey his message doesn't make it any less relevant.

This article is a laughable SJW-tier attempt at inciting controversy.

Tacitus_

I thought black people in the witcherverse lived in zerrakania which is really far away from where W3 takes place?

Yeah. Somewhere on the other side of Nilfgaard. So far south it doesn't even make the map

Zerrikania is a mysterious land located in the south-eastern part of the Continent. Its name is said to derive from a legendary golden dragon, Zerrikanterment. The Northern Kingdoms have very little to do with that realm. Not a lot is known about Zerrikania: its climate is hot, exotic animals roam the land, and the inhabitants worship dragons. Zerrikania is famous for its tattooed warrior women, who are skilled in the use of sabres.

Is Okami racist because other races are not represented in the game inspired by Japanese folklore?
Does every game need to be inclusive?

Wace

Serious question: would it be better if there were racial minorities in the game (black or asian, for example), but unplayable, represented as slaves (see elves in DA series), and without any quests/gameplay ties, just for flavour?

Maybe I'll rephrase: what's better - lack of representation or bad one?

TheChaos

Not to derail the convo, but I have a question: why do Japanese games get a free pass on this? All of these criticisms seem to all get rallied at Western games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom