• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With the success of Persona 4 on Vita, is Persona 5 on Vita a sure thing?

Sandfox

I can't imagine Wii U being a focus. It just doesn't have the install base.

As an aside, no online multiplayer, thank you (I say this, but Catherine's local multi was actually amazing. But whatever.).

I'm not expecting it to come to Wii U but can there is no way to know the install base the Wii U will have when P5 comes in 2014/2015.

But he's the worst Persona MC, and who is Minato I only know a Makoto!

I would like as much Internet connectivity as they want to give, but as long as it doesnt disrupt single player at all.

No he was a silent badass.

Nothing says badass more than cracking the trigger of a revolver to your head while shards of glass erupt from your head.

Persona-3-shin-megami-tensei-16599043-1920-1200.jpg

F*** that glasses shit.

Who cares about the name change he will always be minato to me.

Also
minato pretty much single-handily saved the world, formed the Universe Arcana, sealed an immortal being with his soul, and fucking refused to die. What did the investigation team do.....solve a mystery pfffffft.

Dantis

I'm not expecting it to come to Wii U but can there is no way to know the install base the Wii U will have when P5 comes in 2014/2015.

They're developing the game now. The install base in twelve months will have no influence on their development.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
They're developing the game now. The install base in twelve months will have no influence on their development.

Exactly.

It's been in development since they finished Catherine, at that time, the Wii U dev kits weren't ready.

Omikaru

Yup. Best possible outcome for Wii U owners is if the system picks up by then, and Atlus decides to do a port.

But I think everyone should get used to the fact that the level of spec for Persona 5 is probably going to be set at PS3. That will probably allow a port to Vita and Wii U at a later date, and could mean that 360 gets a day and date version like Catherine did. The optimist in me likes to think it'll be cross-gen too, but I'm not getting my hopes up in that respect. Atlus may not have the budget for cross-gen, not with Persona 5 anyway. Maybe 6...

No he was a silent badass.

Nothing says badass more than cracking the trigger of a revolver to your head while shards of glass erupt from your head.

F*** that glasses shit.

Who cares about the name change he will always be minato to me.

Also
minato pretty much single-handily saved the world, formed the Universe Arcana, sealed an immortal being with his soul, and fucking refused to die. What did the investigation team do.....solve a mystery pfffffft.

Dunno why you keep bringing up the Mystery Machine crew when clearly the best MC's are Tatsuya and Maya.

Meia

I don't get this kind of thinking. How does having unregulated team vs. team matchups regardless of stats harm the single player game in any way? It just gives friends a little post-game side content to play with.

How could having Multiplayer in a single player game like Mass Effect 3 harm the game any?

How many TIMES must we freaking see this this generation for people to understand it leads to hurting the CORE GAME. Seriously, do you want me to make a list? Cause I can, rather easily...

NotLiquid

Exactly.

It's been in development since they finished Catherine, at that time, the Wii U dev kits weren't ready.

This isn't really that much of an argument, SMTxFE had to have been in the works since months prior to Wii U's launch to have been announced two months after the console's release. For that kind of partnership between Atlus/Nintendo they would have most likely had to have devkits way before launch. Considering Persona 5 is a plethora of ways off it doesn't mean they can't add onto that platform if they really wanted to.

I can understand the install base reasoning assuming a Wii U version of it weren't solicited by Nintendo and if it were a decision this late into development, but not necessarily this one.

How could having Multiplayer in a single player game like Mass Effect 3 harm the game any?

How many TIMES must we freaking see this this generation for people to understand it leads to hurting the CORE GAME. Seriously, do you want me to make a list? Cause I can, rather easily...
But something like slapped-on PvP wouldn't take much. Hell, I don't care if they don't bother to balance it or avoid exploits. It would give more incentive to make the greater Personas and give some more end-game content. You just need to make it possible to fight each other in the typical battle system.

Flamfas

SMTxFE had to have been in the works since months prior to Wii U's launch to have been announced two months after the console's release.

Not really. Considering how little they showed of it (like what, one stock concept art at the end?) it seems it's very early in development.

Arc System Works just released Guilty Gear XX something something R for the Vita. I wouldn't be surprised if they start working on P4A next.
I think it's too late for P4A, unless it's an expanded new release that also came to PS360. If it was going to happen I think we'd know about it by now.

Soriku

companies are making cross-gen ports. the same will happen to persona 5. ps3/ps4/psv.

persona 5 not coming to the wii u because the wii u is tanking is a terrible argument. persona 5 has been in development before wii u launch, and if it was being made (i highly doubt it), they wouldn't just cancel it on the back of poor wii u sales. why? because they didn't cancel persona 4 golden on the back of even worse vita sales.

persona 5 will go to the ps3/ps4/psv because that's where the fanbase has always been. similarly, if there was another trauma game ever made, i doubt it'd find its way onto vita, despite the platform being perfectly capable of such a game.

In Japan they're hardly making cross gen ports, and we even have stuff like Drakengard 3, the new Atelier, KH HD (all 3 RPGs and the eventual 2.5 Remi is guaranteed PS3 exclusive too), and Sengoku Basara 3 for PS3 only as well. Highly doubt it'll be cross gen.

Soriku

Cross-gen PS4 - PS5, right? :D

It wouldn't be too shocking if Persona 6 was current gen. They released OG Persona 3 in 2006 in Japan then Persona 4 in 2008. I could see them making P6 current gen to recoup their costs on PS3/360 in the same timeframe.

Or they could just move to PS4 right after one game...who knows.

Bsigg12

Right... because X360 is a big success in Japan... right...

Well its big else where. Including the 360 in the US launch of 5 is an easy way to grab more sales. I would buy it for my 360 since my PS3 is broken and I'm not replacing it since the PS4 will be out this year.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
It'll be on PS3 first, P4G did well in Japan but not quite so well in the US.

fallagin

Atlus needs to somehow get in touch with some big company to allow their games to be ported to 3 or more consoles. Its always disappointing if their games are exclusive to one system or another(well mostly smt games).

Squire

Banned
Which means didly shit to most niche JP developers.

I'm calling P5 on Catherine engine for the HD twins before the year 3000.

Atlus is Atlus not "most niche JP devevolpers".

It's not on Catherine's engine (which is GameBryo, FYI) as they dropped that engine after Catherine and built their own specifically for P5.

nikos

I just finished P4G today. It was my first persona game. I'm hoping Persona 3 gets the same Vita treatment as Persona 4. Also can't wait for Persona 5.

maltrain

Didn't stop them from putting Catherine and P4A on the 360. They don't make 360 versions for the JP market anyway.
Not that it's 100% guaranteed for 360 though.

First, Catherine and P4A are not JRPG games, a genre very unsuccessful on 360 (I really enjoyed Last Odyssey and it's sad they didn't keep launching this kind of games).

Second, Atlus don't care about making money, I don't know why. If so, they would release all Shin Megami Games on PS3/Vita and all Persona games on WiiU/3DS. I don't know why they don't do it.

And third, he implied it would be a 360 only game and that would be ridiculous.

Well its big else where. Including the 360 in the US launch of 5 is an easy way to grab more sales. I would buy it for my 360 since my PS3 is broken and I'm not replacing it since the PS4 will be out this year.

Same as I said to Soriku.

Right, because the 360 is a big success in the US, actually.

So? Atlus is japanese, so they don't care about that. In fact, as I said, Atlus is a very rare company... they haven't exclusive contracts, but they focus their JRPG games on some plattforms exclusively...

I really wish that Atlus were multi and everyone could play their games, but they are not. And, as I said, for that only reason I bought a 3DSXL, for playing Atlus games...

Based solely on install base, no. With 77 million 360s, there's at least a potential for 1-2 million sales. I'm not saying it will but it has a better chance at it.

Woah there. I think your greatly over estimating the sales potential of Persona series in the West and the 360 does not have much of a jrpg crowd.

It wouldn't be too shocking if Persona 6 was current gen. They released OG Persona 3 in 2006 in Japan then Persona 4 in 2008. I could see them making P6 current gen to recoup their costs on PS3/360 in the same timeframe.

Or they could just move to PS4 right after one game...who knows.

If P6 came out in 2016 I reckon thats pushing last gen too much. I think 2015 is the last year PS3 will get proper support in Japan before devs move elsewhere.

I hope Sony helps Atlus port it over to next gen or helps them with next gen or we could be in for another long wait.

This isn't really that much of an argument, SMTxFE had to have been in the works since months prior to Wii U's launch to have been announced two months after the console's release.

There really is no evidence of the above claim especially since all we got was a title and a concept art.

Soriku

First, Catherine and P4A are not JRPG games, a genre very unsuccessful on 360 (I really enjoyed Last Odyssey and it's sad they didn't keep launching this kind of games).

Second, Atlus don't care about making money, I don't know why. If so, they would release all Shin Megami Games on PS3/Vita and all Persona games on WiiU/3DS. I don't know why they don't do it.

So? Atlus is japanese, so they don't care about that. In fact, as I said, Atlus is a very rare company... they haven't exclusive contracts, but they focus their JRPG games on some plattforms exclusively...

I really wish that Atlus were multi and everyone could play their games, but they are not. And, as I said, for that only reason I bought a 3DSXL, for playing Atlus games...

Genre doesn't matter...look at Catherine. It's a story-heavy puzzle/block game. How much was that expected to do on the 360?

Lots of Japanese developers like to keep games on just one or two platforms. I don't think "making money" is synonymous with "putting the game on many platforms" because you have to factor in opportunity cost, plus the fact that your main fanbase will buy the game even if it's one or two platforms, and any additional sales gained from more platforms will be minimal.

I don't see what being Japanese has anything to do with anything. Lots of devs at the beginning of the gen made 360-only games. Not really the case anymore, but you still see Japanese games nowadays coming out on the PS3 AND 360 in Japan even though 360 sales will be minimal. Regardless, they don't make 360 versions for the Japanese market.

If P6 came out in 2016 I reckon thats pushing last gen too much. I think 2015 is the last year PS3 will get proper support in Japan before devs move elsewhere.

I hope Sony helps Atlus port it over to next gen or helps them with next gen or we could be in for another long wait.

Raidou 2 came out October 2008 in Japan/May 2009 in US on PS2 lol. I think it's possible, but not sure how likely it is. Atlus may want to move on faster (would definitely be better if we're not waiting till the end of next gen for new console games from them).

maltrain

Genre doesn't matter...look at Catherine. It's a story-heavy puzzle/block game. How much was that expected to do on the 360?

Catherine genre is bizarre for every console, not only 360, jeje... XD

Lots of Japanese developers like to keep games on just one or two platforms. I don't think "making money" is synonymous with "putting the game on many platforms" because you have to factor in opportunity cost, plus the fact that your main fanbase will buy the game even if it's one or two platforms, and any additional sales gained from more platforms will be minimal.

Do you really think they'd have "minimal" profit releasing Shin Megami Tensei saga on PS3/Vita and Persona saga on WiiU/3DS???

I don't see what being Japanese has anything to do with anything. Lots of devs at the beginning of the gen made 360-only games. Not really the case anymore, but you still see Japanese games nowadays coming out on the PS3 AND 360 in Japan even though 360 sales will be minimal. Regardless, they don't make 360 versions for the Japanese market.

When I say that they are japanese, I'm saying they look first japanese market. And we all know Microsoft quit a long time ago there. Maybe at the beginning of the gen X360 had support... or maybe a small developer can develop his game for X360, for the lack of competition... but a big studio like Atlus or Square Enix won't make a X360 exclusive JRPG game. That's impossible. Even a port, considering what you said before, could be a big and unnecesary risk.

Squire

Banned

Catherine and P4A are on 360 and sold well. They said they made Catherine to get acclimated to "HD consoles" not "PS3 only". So yeah, they do care.

Also

Uhhh did you play Persona 4?
They pretty much save the world... twice.

Hattori

Banned
It'll be hilarious if it's on Wii U, the meltdowns will be a sight to see

I for one would prefer it on the vita, the standby mode, and mobility really adds to the experience (especially when grinding levels.)

Soriku

Catherine genre is bizarre for every console, not only 360, jeje... XD

Do you really think they'd have "minimal" profit releasing Shin Megami Tensei saga on PS3/Vita and Persona saga on WiiU/3DS???

When I say that they are japanese, I'm saying they look first japanese market. And we all know Microsoft quit a long time ago there. Maybe at the beginning of the gen X360 had support... or maybe a small developer can develop his game for X360, for the lack of competition... but a big studio like Atlus or Square Enix won't make a X360 exclusive JRPG game. That's impossible. Even a port, considering what you said before, could be a big and unnecesary risk.

PS3/Vita would be fine. WiiU/3DS would be OK...though the power differences between Wii U and 3DS are too high, unless they just make "HD" versions of 3DS games. But their 3DS SMT game use sprites and a Wii U version would have to use sprites too lol. Having PS3/Vita/Wii U/3DS all at once would be spreading sales too thin.

360 exclusive is impossible, yes. But I read that other user's post as "360 alongside another system (PS3)" than just 360 exclusive.

Catherine and P4A worked out for them and I'm sure a PS3/360 P5 would work out fine. But of course, it depends on whether they felt that Catherine and P4A sales on 360 were too little. If they felt that way, they can axe a 360 version. If not then there's no issue.

Uhhh did you play Persona 4?
They pretty much save the world... twice.

All they did was beat a possessed Adachi and kill Izanami a goddess. Minato defied death and sealed an immortal being. In my opinion thats more significant.

It'll be hilarious if it's on Wii U, the meltdowns will be a sight to see

I for one would prefer it on the vita, the standby mode, and mobility really adds to the experience (especially when grinding levels.)

There will be meltdowns if the game goes to WiiU unless its exclusive to it which has 0% chance of happening. Theres no problem with that however it seems quite a few people expect it to come for WiiU even saying its likely. Its best to keep expectations in reality and go with the most likely scenario in case you do ge upset.

maltrain

360 exclusive is impossible, yes. But I read that other user's post as "360 alongside another system (PS3)" than just 360 exclusive.

My answer was to this post:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=52157469&postcount=288

"If it's on consoles, it will be on 360". Period.

As I said, he implies it would be an exclusive and that's impossible.

A port? Really difficult but I hope so, why not? I'm totally against third party exclusives.

P4 was one of PS2's swan-songs, so I don't see why some people think it'll be a PS4 game. As others have suggested, it'll hopefully be a PS3 game with Vita crossbuy.

Maybe there'll be an eventual WiiU up-port since the series dipping its feet with the Fire Emblem crossover. Using the tablet controller in conjunction with the TV might be pretty neat.

Soriku

My answer was to this post:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=52157469&postcount=288

"If it's on consoles, it will be on 360". Period.

As I said, he implies it would be an exclusive and that's impossible.

A port? Really difficult but I hope so, why not? I'm totally against third party exclusives.

I just assumed he was saying that it'd be on 360 if it was on consoles, but that doesn't exclude other systems like PS3, ie. "at least 360"

Catherine and P4A were made with multiplat in mind so they weren't ported.

Also I love exclusives :p

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It will either be:

1. PS3/360
2. PS3
3. PS3/PSV
4. Doubtful but PS3/PS4

i bought P4 Golden on the vita and Ni No Kuni on the PS3 at the same time. I havent opened P4G yet, is it more fun than NNK?

I stopped playing Ni No Kuni, im not sure why but i dont think ill bother to pick it up again, i really didnt like the battles even though the world itself was beautiful.

Dantis

i bought P4 Golden on the vita and Ni No Kuni on the PS3 at the same time. I havent opened P4G yet, is it more fun than NNK?

I stopped playing Ni No Kuni, im not sure why but i dont think ill bother to pick it up again, i really didnt like the battles even though the world itself was beautiful.

It is so many leaps above Ni No Kuni that it's not even funny. They're in a completely different league.

Yeah, that Atlus, not caring at all about the 360 despite releasing Catherine and P4A on 360.

Top Bottom