• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•21-23•17 - Slam Dunk' for Nolan, Apes escape, not rough Girl's Trip, Luc

Argo was kinda offensive to Iranians.

And Canadians. And as someone with extended family from Iran who lived in Canada during that time, they're none too thrilled about it. To say nothing of Ben Affleck playing Tony Mendez.

But setting aside all that baggage, it's a well made movie. Of what it was up against, I could've seen it going to any of the rest, except maybe Silver Lining Playbook

And Canadians. And as someone with extended family from Iran who lived in Canada during that time, they're none too thrilled about it. To say nothing of Ben Affleck playing Tony Mendez.

But setting aside all that baggage, it's a well made movie. Of what it was up against, I could've seen it going to any of the rest, except maybe Silver Lining Playbook
Oh yeah, it was definitely well made. I actually said this to my (Iranian) dad when we finished watching it: "Quite well made but I didn't like it".

kswiston

I came across the visual effects society awards winners while looking for something else. Here you go Bobby. Asterix entries won the oscar for best VFX:

Outstanding Visual Effects in a Visual Effects-Driven Motion Picture:
2002: The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers*
2003: The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King*
2004: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
2005: King Kong*
2006: Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest*
2007: Transformers
2008: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button*
2009: Avatar*
2010: Inception*
2011: Rise of the Planet of the Apes
2012: Life of Pi*
2013: Gravity*
2014: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
2015: Star Wars: The Force Awakens
2016: The Jungle Book*

Outstanding Supporting Visual Effects in a Feature Motion Picture:
2002: The Sum of All Fears
2003: The Last Samurai
2004: The Aviator
2005: Kingdom of Heaven
2006: Flags of Our Fathers
2007: Ratatouille
2008: Changeling
2009: Sherlock Holmes
2010: Hereafter
2011: Hugo*
2012: The Impossible
2013: The Lone Ranger
2014: Birdman
2015: The Revenant
2016: Deepwater Horizon

Outstanding Animated Character in a Live Action Feature Motion Picture:
2002: The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers* ("Gollum")
2003: The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King* ("Gollum")
2004: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban ("Hippogriff")
2005: King Kong* ("Kong")
2006: Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest* ("Davy Jones")
2007: Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End ("Davy Jones")
2008: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button ("Benjamin Button")
2009: Avatar* ("Neytiri")
2010: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 ("Dobby")
2011: Rise of the Planet of the Apes ("Caesar")
2012: Life of Pi* ("Richard Parker")
2013: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug ("Smaug")
2014: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes ("Caesar")
2015: The Revenant ("The Bear")
2016: The Jungle Book ("King Louie")

Outstanding Animated Character in an Animated Feature Motion Picture:
2002: Stuart Little 2
2003: Finding Nemo ("Speaking whale")
2004: The Incredibles ("Bob Parr/Mr. Incredible")
2005: Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit ("Gromit")
2006: Cars ("Mater")
2007: Ratatouille ("Colette")
2008: WALL-E ("WALL-E and Eve truck sequence")
2009: Up ("Carl")
2010: How to Train Your Dragon ("Toothless")
2011: Rango ("Rango")
2012: Brave ("Merida")
2013: Frozen ("Bringing the Snow Queen to Life")
2014: Big Hero 6 ("Baymax")
2015: Inside Out ("Joy")
2016: Finding Dory ("Hank")

I watched Avatar last night for the first time in a couple of years. The CGI in that is still fucking bonkerballs. Lord knows what crazy shit Cameron and Weta will unleash upon the world with the sequels.

Although, during the Attack on Hometree sequence, all I think about is that story about ILM and Weta racing each other to complete their shots. Like it both the studios jerking off to show who is better.
And it is more proof that John Knoll is ILMs Winston Wolf. You send him in when shit is bad and needs to be fixed in a hurry.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I just realized Charlize Theron has two movies coming out this weekend. Atomic Blonde and The Last Face, the latter of which is getting savaged in the reviews. Somebody did her a favor putting this out now so Atomic Blonde drowns out that 6% on RT.

Toa TAK

Banned
I just realized Charlize Theron has two movies coming out this weekend. Atomic Blonde and The Last Face, the latter of which is getting savaged in the reviews. Somebody did her a favor putting this out now so Atomic Blonde drowns out that 6% on RT.
Well

At least it's a good weekend for Theron's fans, I guess.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
This is now our 4th longest box office thread to date. It will probably pass the Avengers' opening weekend thread to settle at #3.

BvS' opening weekend was just shy of 3k posts, and The Force Awakens' opening got fairly close to 4k.

What happened that it suddenly became so big? I missed a few pages

Well, now that my asshole can unpucker...

Code:
1) Dunkirk                                       $28.9M    -42.78%
2) Emoji Movie                                   $23.5M 
3) Girls Trip                                    $20.6M    -33.97%
4) Atomic Blonde                                 $17.4M    
5) Spider-Man: Homecoming                        $13.9M    -37.25%
6) War for the Planet of the Apes                $10.3M    -50.67%
7) Despicable Me 3                                $7.3M    -43.89%
8) Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets    $6.4M    -62.38%
9) Baby Driver                                    $3.8M    -37.40%
10) Wonder Woman                                  $2.9M    -37.09%
  • I'm using Mission: Impossible 5 as my main comparison point for Dunkirk. Both had roughly the same Wednesday number, skew extremely old, and M:I5 also had minimal competition in its second weekend. It's possible Dunkirk's higher IMAX share will result in a weaker Friday increase, but Dunkirk may have a bit of a buffer if it can hold better than M:I5's 13% drop on its first Thursday.
  • I really didn't want to go a bit lower on Emoji Movie. It has an unheard of 58% want to see on Flixster (almost all films are in the mid to high 90's prior to release) and the online buzz for the film has been universally negative from the beginning, but it has been pacing slightly ahead of Captain Underpants in presales so an OW of $23-25M seems to be the ticket.
  • Atomic Blonde's presales have not suggested a major breakout, and these kinds of hyper stylized R-rated films have not shown a tendency to break out past $20M, so I do not anticipate AB to do so.
  • Spider-Man: Homecoming has stabilized somewhat this week, and Emoji Movie is also a Sony production, so there may be a studio boost present.
  • Thanks to a 1,000 theater count loss for The Big Sick, the domestic summer q champ Wonder Woman seems poised for one more weekend in the top 10.

How did Star Trek Beyond lose to Suicide Squad?

Well compared to Jaylah (and that one alien with a Nautilus on her head at the end on the movie), SS Enchantress, Croc, Boomerang, El Diablo & Harley have a lot more screen time, thus more effort needed for consistency throughout the film. Good work for the make-up artists, at first I didn't think that was Jai Courtney playing Boomerang.

Anyway, does anyone think they'll have Jaylah replace Chekov in the next Star Trek?

CassSept

I came across the visual effects society awards winners while looking for something else. Here you go Bobby. Asterix entries won the oscar for best VFX:

War should seriously win the Oscar, what they did in that film is pure sorcery. Rise was impressive, Dawn even more so, but War is just crazy. Seeing every individual hair on cheeks and ears in close-ups, realistic hair in snow/wind, it's unbelievable. It looks so good you could believe they pumped $50 mil into R&D to actually genetically engineer monkeys to act.

Cvie

War should seriously win the Oscar, what they did in that film is pure sorcery. Rise was impressive, Dawn even more so, but War is just crazy. Seeing every individual hair on cheeks and ears in close-ups, realistic hair in snow/wind, it's unbelievable. It looks so good you could believe they pumped $50 mil into R&D to actually genetically engineer monkeys to act.

Yeah after seeing what they've done i feel it won't be too long until there's a scandal where an actors original performance is replaced by a mocap actor.

my early money would be on J-Law.

This year has been crazy for VFX with War a clear frontrunner but GotG Vol. 2 and Valerian were no slouches either. Thor looks also very impressive so far.

While I don't necessarily think that WW deserves Oscar noms, it's a smart play for WB to push it and who knows, it might actually work. But I'm worried that Patrick Stewart is gonna get jack shit for Logan, which would be a shame.

Well compared to Jaylah (and that one alien with a Nautilus on her head at the end on the movie), SS Enchantress, Croc, Boomerang, El Diablo & Harley have a lot more screen time, thus more effort needed for consistency throughout the film. Good work for the make-up artists, at first I didn't think that was Jai Courtney playing Boomerang.

Anyway, does anyone think they'll have Jaylah replace Chekov in the next Star Trek?

Shit, I forgot that Chekov won't be there. I don't know about replacing him but I hope Jaylah won't be a one and done character. Every franchise needs some Sofia Boutella.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
WW still in 1600+ theaters on it's 9th weekend.
rejoice.png

That would be my guess, if they even do another one. Beyond's performance probably didn't thrill Paramount, but it's not like they have anything else to bank on these days. Even Transformers is stinking up their ledgers.

MI6 better be huge or their next movie will just be live footage of all the execs committing Sudoku.

So factual inaccuracies is the samething as outright racism?

Many gaffers seem obsessed with downplaying racism against people from the middle east.

Argo doesn't depict Iranians as real people. Just mindless killer zombies. Don't think there is a single Iranian character in a movie set in Iran.

It's flat out dumb to draw a comparison to Slum Dog. Exactly the kinda meaningless thing an Alt Right says trying to claim something isn't racist or offensive.

Oh hey, BGE's post reminds me: did we find out if Sony's Emoji rollout came at a cost to Spidey's screens?

Not a big one if it did, but I know the booking contracts with exhibitors sometimes mandate shit like that, and I'd imagine some of that film's theater count this opening weekend is only due to the studio saying "You want Spidey? You gotta agree to run Emoji a month later on X screens."

kswiston

Oh hey, BGE's post reminds me: did we find out if Sony's Emoji rollout came at a cost to Spidey's screens?

Not a big one if it did, but I know the booking contracts with exhibitors sometimes mandate shit like that, and I'd imagine some of that film's theater count this opening weekend is only due to the studio saying "You want Spidey? You gotta agree to run Emoji a month later on X screens."

No idea. Spider-Man and Baby Driver are both holding screens pretty well though. Spider-Man's count is still third highest after Emoji and Dunkirk. Some of that may be drive in double features.

Top Bottom