• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•21-23•17 - Slam Dunk' for Nolan, Apes escape, not rough Girl's Trip, Luc

J_Viper

To be fair, those aliens in Beyond looked kinda dumb.

Not to say Harley and Joker didn't, but those Beyond aliens were Mass Effect: Andromeda-tier

Oh hey, BGE's post reminds me: did we find out if Sony's Emoji rollout came at a cost to Spidey's screens?

Not a big one if it did, but I know the booking contracts with exhibitors sometimes mandate shit like that, and I'd imagine some of that film's theater count this opening weekend is only due to the studio saying "You want Spidey? You gotta agree to run Emoji a month later on X screens."

No idea. Spider-Man and Baby Driver are both holding screens pretty well though. Spider-Man's count is still third highest after Emoji and Dunkirk. Some of that may be drive in double features.

Purely anecdotal but my theater only has 2 showings of Spidey 2D at 10:45am and 8pm, it definitely lost a lot of showings to fuckin Emoji

J_Viper

tenor.gif

Busty

Banned
Is Dark Tower next week? What's the tracking on that?

Tracking hasn't been announced IIRC but there has been some talk that it's been tracking with similar numbers to King Arthur, give or take, looking at an opening in the mid teens to early twenties.

But that's before the reviews drop. Sooooo....,

I wonder if Boutella got paid more for Atomic Blonde than The Mummy? Almost no chance, right?

*taps chin*

That's actually a great question.

Hmmm.

Unlikely but it all depends on which one went first. The momentum of one could have boosted the other.

kswiston

Dunkirk put WB past the $1B mark for the year last weekend. WB has the longest streak of $1B+ domestic years of any studio. A streak that is probably never going to be topped, as it's unlikely that either it or Disney will fail to hit that mark again.

From who?

Commonsense media. They review films for parents.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I feel like Hollywood has no idea how to use Idris as a leading man.

I hope Idris can at least get a meaty part in a big franchise, kinda like Fassbender. Nobody pays to see Fassbender movies, but he's got those X-Men films to keep his career going strong. I don't even count Thor for Idris cause he's in those so little and the role is boring.

I hope Idris can at least get a meaty part in a big franchise, kinda like Fassbender. Nobody pays to see Fassbender movies, but he's got those X-Men films to keep his career going strong. I don't even count Thor for Idris cause he's in those so little and the role is boring.

Idris has/had a great following of African American women they could've built on in the same vein as Denzel.

I don't even know if he has them anymore.

Movies like The Mountain Between Us certainly doesn't help.

It's a shame because Elba and McConaughey are perfect casting for Dark Tower and those books have so much potential... The movie isn't out yet so I guess we'll see but I'm not expecting much from it.

And he's wasted in the Thor movies. Same reason I'm a bit disappointed that Michael B. Jordan and Lupita Nyong'o are in Black Panther. They should lead their own franchises. Oh well, at least that movie looks great from what we've seen.

And, unrelated, but here we go, Lupita as the Pink Ranger:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BXBG72ZjVLM/

It's a shame because Elba and McConaughey are perfect casting for Dark Tower and those books have so much potential... The movie isn't out yet so I guess we'll see but I'm not expecting much from it.

And he's wasted in the Thor movies. Same reason I'm a bit disappointed that Michael B. Jordan and Lupita Nyong'o are in Black Panther. They should lead their own franchises. Oh well, at least that movie looks great from what we've seen.

But Michael B. Jordan has been headlining critical and successful films from the indie Fruitvale Station, to Creed, to the upcoming Coogler collaboration in Wrong Answer.

They're building Michael B. Jordan the correct way to be a leading man in Hollywood.

But Michale B. Jordan has been headlining critical and successful films from the indie Fruitvale Station, to Creed, to the upcoming Coogler collaboration in Wrong Answer.

They're building Michael B. Jordan the correct way to be a leading man in Hollywood.

Sure, sure, but I'm a comic-book nerd, I need to see him in some tights!
Ahem.

Top Bottom