• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•21-23•17 - Slam Dunk' for Nolan, Apes escape, not rough Girl's Trip, Luc

BadAss2961

The last Sony Spider Man film had mixed reviews that audiences disliked and still made over 700 million.

I'm pretty certain the thinking was putting Spider Man back with the red hot Marvel and their universe and introducing him in Civil War, a film that grossed over a billion, and then making a solid, critically acclaimed film would garner much more at the box office.
My thoughts exactly. It didn't bomb or anything, but I know for sure that most expected much more from this when the announcement was made.

Don't know why so many want to spin the conversation in a direction other than Homecoming barely hitting par considering all it had in its favor.

You might not be able to hear anything in a Dunkirk IMAX screening, but when Mr. Buisness Man next to you decides to whip his phone out during the emotional climax, then leave it in his cupholder as he gets text after text, you can definitely see that.

There was a decent amount of kids at the theater today. Despite the reviews, I think it'll do decently. Emoji are a big enough "brand" now that I think that kids'll want to gos see it as opposed to something like Smurfs.

Enjoy your weekends. I will probably pop in here and there, but I hope to be on the road by 8am tomorrow.

We'll see if Detroit to Minneapolis is doable in a day without my legs falling off.

Detroit to Chicago is about 6-8 hours from my experience. Chicago to Minneapolis is about the same, I think. Yeah, you should be okay.

golem

🤔 at this survey I got from Disney Movie Rewards

DVbaLQr.png

From now on, whenever I do my annoying-as-shit, vastly-overplayed, stupid dead meme "Lucasfilm" bullshit on some unsuspecting armchair executive burping bad advice into the ether, I'm going to use that

some yawpmouth RLM guppy said:
You know that Disney is never going to let Rian Johnson make a Star Wars th—

Lucasfilm, the studio that makes the Star Wars movies™

sense

My thoughts exactly. It didn't bomb or anything, but I know for sure that most expected much more from this when the announcement was made.

Don't know why so many want to spin the conversation in a direction other than Homecoming barely hitting par considering all it had in its favor.
A market saturated with superhero movies, second reboot of the franchise in a short time frame, tom holland and supporting cast skewing very young and relatively unknown to mainstream audience, a grounded movie with no eye candy as far as action sequences go, not sure if you guys are serious with your expectations. The plan clearly seems to be to reset the franchise and lay a good foundation and get it back on track for future films to cash in on. If the second movie doesn't show growth then you guys have an argument to make. We will know eventually from Sony what they thought of the deal and whether they extend it or not. I am sure if they think they can make more money if they hold creative control and outside marvel they will stop the partnership after the sequel.

I thought I was accidentally in the height discrimination thread. So Emoji Movie is a shoe in to be #1 this weekend?

BOT insider saying 9.5m for Emoji and 7.8 for Dunkirk.

If Emoji follows a similar patter to Ice Age 5 last year, it'll end at 25.5. I'd expect Dunkirk finishes 26-27 million. So let's say toss up with a slight edge to Dunkirk.

Increases for holdovers across the board don't look great, but Thursday was unusually strong.

El Topo

As someone just pointed out we have an actual leak of their internal correspondence from the time the deal was made that pointed to expectations of $750 million.

Completely missed that. Huh.

But realistically they shouldn't be upset with spending less and making a bit more.

Of course they shouldn't be upset. After the ASM2 disaster they should be celebrating that they have a functioning movie franchise again.

We knew Kswis was a savage before, but upon finding out he is a giant, I can't help imagine this when we ask him what is best in life.

cn8599h.gif

Kswiss is actually the slenderman, waiting to frighten youngsters who don't pick up all the clues left in the forest of Wkd BO threads about P&A, domestic vs int'l, Gross vs profit, multipliers and whether or not Ghost in the Shell beat Ant-Man.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Deadline update:

1.) Dunkirk (WB), 3,748 theaters (+28)/ $8.2M Fri. (-58%) / 3-day cume: $28.2M (-44%)/Total: $103M/Wk 2

2.). The Emoji Movie (SONY), 4,075 theaters / $10.2M Fri. (includes $900K previews) / 3-day cume: $27.5M /Wk 1

3). Girls Trip (UNI), 2,648 theaters (+57) / $5.9M Fri. (-50%) / 3-day cume: $19.2M (-38%)/Total: $64.6M/Wk 2

4). Atomic Blonde (FOC), 3,304 theaters / $7M Fri. (includes $1.5M previews) / 3-day cume: $18.2M /Wk 1

5). Spider-Man: Homecoming (SONY/MARVEL), 3,625 theaters (-505)/ $3.8M Fri. / 3-day cume: $13.4M (-39%)/Total: $278.3M/Wk 4

6.) War for the Planet of the Apes (FOX), 3,374 theaters (-726) / $2.85M Fri. / 3-day cume: $9.9M (-53%) /Total: $118.2M/Wk 3

7). Despicable Me 3 (UNI/ILL), 3,030 theaters (-495) / $2.4M Fri. / 3-day cume: $8M (-38%) /Total: $230.7M/ Wk 5

8). Valerian and the City of One Thousand Planets (EUR/STX), 3,553 theaters (0) / $1.73M Fri. (-73%) / 3-day cume: $5.9M (-65%)/Total: $29.7M/Wk 2

9). Baby Driver (SONY), 1,961 theaters (-542) / $1.25M Fri. / 3-day cume: $4.5M (-25%)/ Total cume: $92.5M / Wk 5

10.) Wonder Woman (WB), 1,651 theaters (-320) / $1.05M Fri. (-17%)/ 3-day cume: $3.8M (-17%)/ Total: $395.7M / Wk 9

11.) The Big Sick (AMAZ/LGF), 1,589 theaters (-1,008) / $959K / 3-day cume: $3.4 M (-32%)/Total: $30.5M/Wk 6

Great holds for Dunkirk and Girls Trip.
Spider-Man continues to be the flop of the summer.
Wonder Woman looking to hit $400m by next Sunday. 405-410m finish is the range.

Valerian:
mjcry1.png

Weekend Box Office: 'Emoji Movie' in Close Battle With 'Dunkirk' for No. 1

A potentially close race is shaping up at the North American box office, where new family animated film The Emoji Movie is battling Dunkirk for the No. 1 spot, according to early returns.

The Emoji Movie, from Sony Animated Pictures, is projected to earn $9 million-$10 million on Friday, including $900,000 in Thursday previews, for a weekend take of $26 million-$27 million despite withering reviews.

Christopher Nolan and Warner Bros.' World War II drama Dunkirk is expected to gross $8 million on its second Friday for a weekend haul of $26 million-$27 million. Box-office observers caution that the numbers could shift.

The Emoji Movie, based on the popular symbols used in text messages, centers on Gene (T.J. Miller) who, unlike the other inhabitants of Textpolis, has multiple expressions. Determined to be normal, he and his friends embark on an adventure to locate the code that will fix him, only to find themselves in a race to save the world.

The ensemble voice cast includes James Corden, Anna Faris, Maya Rudolph, Steven Wright, Jennifer Coolidge, Jake T. Austin, Christina Aguilera, Sofia Vergara and Patrick Stewart. Emoji Movie cost $50 million to produce.

This weekend's other new nationwdie release is Charlize Theron's action pic Atomic Blonde, from Universal specialty label Focus Features and Sierra/Affinity. The film, following an MI6 spy during the final days of the Berlin Wall, kicked into gear with $1.5 million in Thursday previews.

Atomic Blonde is expected to earn $7 million-$8 million on Friday for a weekend debut in the $18 million-$20 million range.

David Leitch (John Wick) directed the film, which is based on the graphic novel The Coldest City. In addition to Theron, Atomic Blonde also stars James McAvoy, John Goodman, Til Schweiger, Eddie Marsan, Sofia Boutella and Toby Jones.

There is also major action on the specialty front as both Kathryn Bigelow's Detroit and Al Gore's climate change documentary An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power open in select theaters a week ahead of their nationwide debuts.

Detroit — the first release from Annapurna Pictures, director Megan Ellison's new indie studio — is rolling out in 20 theaters in 20 markets, including New York, Los Angeles, Detroit, Chicago, San Francisco, Atlanta and Washington, D.C. The period crime drama recounts the riot of 50 years ago in the titular city that left seven black men and two white women dead.

Bigelow reteamed with her Zero Dark Thirty screenwriter Mark Boal on Detroit. In recent days, Annapurna decided to first open the movie in select theaters after a successful screening program. The pic stars John Boyega, Will Poulter, Algee Smith, Jason Mitchell, John Krasinski and Anthony Mackie.

Paramount and Participant Media is debuting An Inconvenient Sequel in four theaters in New York and Los Angeles. Bonni Cohen and Jon Shenk directed the doc, which opens 11 years after An Inconvenient Truth, likewise steered by Gore, hit theaters. In hopes of luring younger moviegoers, Snapchat is partnering with Paramount and Participant to offer free tickets to consumers 18 and younger.

Guzim

Wonder Woman about to make $400 million reminds me of how excited we were in 2005 when Batman Begins made $200 million.

Lima

Detroit sounds amazing. Kickass cast and good director. Distributed by Annapurna. I gotta check this out when it comes to Germany.

Im confused about that line bout Annapurna in the article though. They have been around 2011. This is not their first release.

Edit: Reading it again they probably mean it's their first movie that they distribute themselves. Makes sense.

A market saturated with superhero movies, second reboot of the franchise in a short time frame, tom holland and supporting cast skewing very young and relatively unknown to mainstream audience, a grounded movie with no eye candy as far as action sequences go, not sure if you guys are serious with your expectations. The plan clearly seems to be to reset the franchise and lay a good foundation and get it back on track for future films to cash in on. If the second movie doesn't show growth then you guys have an argument to make. We will know eventually from Sony what they thought of the deal and whether they extend it or not. I am sure if they think they can make more money if they hold creative control and outside marvel they will stop the partnership after the sequel.

I don't know, I think this is all being said in hindsight, which completely makes sense but still.

The Spider Man films were already a 700 to 800 million a film grossing franchise without Marvel's involvement.

It's kinda like combining the Superman and Batman brands. You're expectations are going to be higher than when they're solo due to how successful they already were in their respective films.

Busty

Banned
The Spider Man films were already a 700 to 800 million a film grossing franchise without Marvel's involvement.

.., and with their involvement, and Iron Man himself no less, it's still a $700-800m grossing film.

While Homecoming is undoubtedly a hit having Marvel Studios 'run it' lead to a lot of very unrealistic expectations.

As I've said before you have to wonder what the film would have grossed if it was set in the MCU (with the Avengers weapon sub plot and cameos) but didn't feature Iron Man? How much of a bump did RDJ bring to the film and what will the sequel's numbers look like without him involved?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I doubt anyone at WB was thinking we'd have a new origin high with WW... but here we are. The Spidey is in the sights

And more important: Will Disney still be willing to bribe the critics for a movie they dont get money from?

Of course because now they pay less money to Sony than they did before. If the movie grosses more than 750MM WW then the percentage of the WW BO gross that Disney has to pay Sony lowers, either a flat lower rate or scaled. That's a motivating factor.

Busty

Banned
The Promise and Monster Trucks will have every box office bomb beat this year.

The Marvel style post credit teaser of the box office bomb discussion will see
Geostorm
standing upon a rooftop quietly smoking as everyone celebrates below.

"Soon" it whispers, "soon".

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
So this thread is long and I have been a busy bee this week...what happened lol? Is Spider-Man still doomed? Did Wonder Woman finally cross the 400 mil threshold? Did the Emoji movie score a perfect 100% on RT and blow everyone's minds!?

So this thread is long and I have been a busy bee this week...what happened lol? Is Spider-Man still doomed? Did Wonder Woman finally cross the 400 mil threshold? Did the Emoji movie score a perfect 100% on RT and blow everyone's minds!?
No, next week and it had 0% for almost a whole day.

The Marvel style post credit teaser of the box office bomb discussion will see
Geostorm
standing upon a rooftop quietly smoking as everyone celebrates below.

"Soon" it whispers, "soon".

I forgot about that film. It'll certainly do better than The Promiset at least..

But yeah it'll probably be among the box office bomb trifecta that includes The Promise, and Monster Trucks.

Excluding those films, you'll have Ghost in the Shell, King Arthur, The Mummy, and Valerian.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I forgot about that film. It'll certainly do better than The Promiset at least..

But yeah it'll probably be among the box office bomb trifecta that includes The Promise, and Monster Trucks.

Excluding those films, you'll have Ghost in the Shell, King Arthur, The Mummy, and Valerian.

Mummy is going be 400mil WW, on it's 125mil Budget. Cruise Missie still hits even when they aim it wrong.

Arthur is the biggest of the lot so far, 140 against 175. Left a crater the size of a city with it and it's a shame because I quite liked Arthur. So Valerian has some stiff competition.

What's sad is the new Apes isn't doing too hot.

Top Bottom