• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•28-30•17 - Nolan not Dun' w/ #1 run, = Atomic

kswiston

Is there any chance Dunkirk three-peats at #1?

I'd guess $16-17M for Dunkirk this weekend, so if the Dark Tower is frontloaded, it could happen.

EDIT: Actually, I forgot that Dunkirk is expanding this weekend. That could lead to a better than typical Friday bump (giving it a better shot at $17M+)

Toa TAK

Banned
Those audiences can go fuck themselves

13966462.gif

kswiston

So I haven't been following the Chinese Box Office very closely lately, since we aren't getting more Hollywood releases there until Late August.

However, checking today, it looks Wolf Warrior 2 is about to become the highest grossing film of all time there.

Its second Friday was $39M, bringing the running total to $346M in 8 days. It will be well past Furious 8 by the end of this weekend to be the highest grossing film of 2017 in China. People in the Chinese box office thread over at BOT think that $750M could be on the table.

Angel_DvA

Finally watched War for the Planet of the Apes, it's a great movie but definitely not what is was advertised for, it's a better movie than the second one and I can't wait to see what next for the series.

Window

Wow the Chinese market really has exploded over the past few years. At this pace (if that 750m forecast turns to reality) it seems like it's ready to eclipse the US. What's the next big growth market after China? Brazil?

Getting real annoyed everytime I see the IT trailer thread bumped and it's hype tweets but the movie is still a month away. If it's as good as it seems to be it's gonna smash, WB seems to be doing pretty good this summer.

It's gonna smash. That is not in question.

Actually, we should start looking into what September records look like. Opening Weekend, overall totals, R-rated films - all that shit.

FTF

Actually, we should start looking into what September records look like. Opening Weekend, overall totals, R-rated films - all that shit.

Current ow record is Hotel Transylvania 2 at $48.5m, then the first HT at $42.5m.

R-rated is Equalizer $34m. Didn't even realize IT was R, figured they'd go PG-13.

kswiston

Opening weekend record - $48.5M for Hotel Transylvania 2
R-rated opening weekend record - $34.1M for The Equalizer
Overall gross record - $174.8M for Crocodile Dundee. If you want something less than 30 years old, Hotel Transylvania 2 is the runner up at $169.7M.

EDIT: Too late on some of that!

Given the nature of the film, It would have to open over $75M to have a shot at the overall gross record.

I said $80M OW for IT a few months ago and I stand by that. Feels like it's a perfect storm, really: horror films have done extremely well in the last couple years, Stranger Things primed people for this sort of movie, and there hasn't been a blockbuster horror film with a clown since... forever?

Just anecdotally, I've had a few friends tell me they're excited to see it and were only prompted by general movie discussion.

FTF

I said $80M OW for IT a few months ago and I stand by that. Feels like it's a perfect storm, really: horror films have done extremely well in the last couple years, Stranger Things primed people for this sort of movie, and there hasn't been a blockbuster horror film with a clown since... forever?

Just anecdotally, I've had a few friends tell me they're excited to see it and were only prompted by general movie discussion.

$80m seems really high, but $50m seems doable. Still have no feel on which way IT's ow goes though :/ Nothing between $35m-$65m would surprise me.

Is it weird that the Tim Curry Pennywise is scarier to me than anything I've seen from the new It? It's probably 80% nostalgia, 20% the plainness of it.

Curry's performance is great.

this new guys design works in context, I'm betting.

It's hard to get a real good grasp on what Skarsgard is doing in the film considering how obscured he is in the marketing vs being familiar with 3 hours of Curry in context for the past 20 years.

I think its possible we're looking at a Ledger situation here, really

Keep in mind, some aspects of pop culture get canonized and codified as immutable fact after a certain period of time, and challenges to that status quo are rebuffed out of hand mot so much as a means to offer reasoned criticism, but to reinforce one's position as a fan who "gets it"

its some ol' call n response bullshit, basically.

I think a little of that is factoring into any skepticism towards Skarsgard as Pennywise. People don't wanna stick their neck out to commit nerd heresy, basically.

Its a large part of why remake convos here are so tortured and fraught, and why a lot of suggestions wind up at "just cast the original you'll never top it anyway"

For me it's that Tim Curry's Pennywise was basically Bozo until the fangs came out. It shouldn't have been scary. After watching that crummy TV movie, I'd get creeped out walking by the Bozo arcade game.

New It movie looks all around better, but Pennywise looks creepy from the jump. It's why Chucky from Child's Play was never scary to me.

Curry was great, an entertaining performance, but really scared I am and was not. This Skarsgard guy is super unsettling to look at and the Clown's make up, his mannerisms, make up, forehead and front teeth make this guy pretty fucking creepy and scary.

Shauni

I feel like what we've seen so far of the It movie, Pennywise looks and acts more like what he's portrayed like in the book. But Curry's performance in the shitty mini-series has really overridden that and transcended into its own thing so much that's what everyone expects. I think Pennywise in the film (films assuming this one doesn't bomb, and I'm sure it won't) will be fine, though, but people will probably keep comparing it to Curry for a long time and never be 100% satisfied

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Curry was great, an entertaining performance, but really scared I am and was not. This Skarsgard guy is super unsettling to look at and the Clown's make up, his mannerisms, make up, forehead and front teeth make this guy pretty fucking creepy and scary.

Eh Curry's performance almost single-handedly destroyed the noble profession of being a clown. The remake will come nowhere close.

Curry was the only great thing about the original It. The adult actors in that show were awful.
Also clowns have always been creepy since they create an uncanny valley effect with their makeup.

Top Bottom