• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•28-30•17 - Nolan not Dun' w/ #1 run, = Atomic

Between Sony's marketing for the film and the reception the Emoji movie has been getting online reminds me of this Mitchell and Webb skit.
how_do_these_ironic_non_idiots_show_up_in_the_rati_by_digi_matrix-dbi87rm.gif

Haha

Amazing Spiderman grossed $48,818,164 in China and $39,276,607 in Japan. The sequel made $94,430,000 in China and $30,253,480 in Japan. Of course the current foreign rates are nowhere comparable to 2012 and 2014 but still this shows that the movie, at worst, should easily top $750 million worldwide which was the target set by Sony according to the leaked emails.

So much for Atomic Blonde becoming a new female spy franchise.

I hope Emoji movie has an 80% drop next week.

Good god at WW. I still can't believe people are seeing this multiple times, but different strokes for different folks I guess.

kswiston

Amazing Spiderman grossed $48,818,164 in China and $39,276,607 in Japan. The sequel made $94,430,000 in China and $30,253,480 in Japan. Of course the current foreign rates are nowhere comparable to 2012 and 2014 but still this shows that the movie, at worst, should easily top $750 million worldwide which was the target set by Sony according to the leaked emails.

The Chinese Yuan is only down 9% from 3 years ago.

So much for Atomic Blonde becoming a new female spy franchise.

I hope Emoji movie has an 80% drop next week.

Good god at WW. I still can't believe people are seeing this multiple times, but different strokes for different folks I guess.

In comparison, John Wick made $14,415,922 its opening weekend.

It's not a bomba really. It'll make a profit and will definitely open up for more movies like it, sequels or not.

Phamit

I mean, it's doing better than John Wick (unless I'm wrong, I'm not doing any fact checking). There's a chance for a sequel (unless it's only intended to be a standalone film).

Yeah it did a bit better than John Wick, but also had a bigger budget according to box office mojo

Ahasverus

Emoji will tank and I'm so, so glad for it.

Atomic Blonde had the guts to ape Debbie Harry's style, her band's name and her song's name too, and didn't feature Atomic on its soundtrack.

I mean, it's doing better than John Wick (unless I'm wrong, I'm not doing any fact checking). There's a chance for a sequel (unless it's only intended to be a standalone film).

Better opening than John Wick 1, but $12 million less than JW2's opening. It was cheap to make, so it'll probably make a very small profit or break even at best. It should've been held back for a fall release. I'm not rooting for it to fail or anything like that.

#4 isn't that bad considering it still came pretty close to the studio expectations of $20mil, and was made for around $10mil more. It's definitely going to make a profit

Better opening than John Wick 1, but $12 million less than JW2's opening. It was cheap to make, so it'll probably make a very small profit or break even at best. It should've been held back for a fall release. I'm not rooting for it to fail or anything like that.

Atomic Blonde 2 will open bigger than JW2 😜

How about we wait for the international performance before making uninformed guesses?

And damn I was rooting for Emoji's to be #1 😩🙄😒

EGM1966

Definitely. BoxOffice.com's initial prediction for TLJ is $250mOW/$820m DOM. When the bar is set the high, disappointment is pretty easy to come by.
As with Empire I'm expecting a better film that makes less money.

So long as film delivers I'm fine - well except I'm then expecting Trevorrow to deliver a weaker follow up that might make more money.

EDIT: meant to add on topic good to see strong holds for Dunkirk and Girls. I'm not expecting Dunkirk to quite match normally long tail Nolan films have in US - it just seems to much a stretch for such a completely British film content wise - but I guess you never know it is an amazing experience in IMAX so it might get boost in that factor

Atomic Blonde's opening is not important in the grand scheme of things. What matters more is will it have legs? 2nd weekend drop and John Wick legs will boost the chance of a sequel way more than a good opening but harsh drop afterwards.

Atomic Blonde 2 will open bigger than JW2 ��

How about we wait for the international performance before making uninformed guesses?

And damn I was rooting for Emoji's to be #1 ������
Keanu Reeves is a bigger draw as action movie star overseas (Thanks Matrix) than Charlie or Sofia so I wouldn't bet on it even in the least.

Domestic performance with good legs is what matters more for a sequel.

mreddie

Sanity Wins but it's likely The Two-ji Movie will come.

Also, having seen Atomic Blonde...yeah, I don't think it deserves the #4 spot but not #1 either.

It got too ridiculous, especially compared to John Wick.

I'm still pissed off they didn't have Atomic by Blondie in the trailers.

Also, why didn't they pay HEALTH to cover it, instead of Blue Monday.

Top Bottom