• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 0722-2416 - DOM Lights dim for Ice Age, the force weakens with Star Trek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley327

Thor 2 - $644M

Red Dawn - $45M
Rush - $90M
Black Hat - $20M
Vacation - $105M
In The Heart of the Sea -$94M
The Huntsman: Winters War - $165M
Ghostbusters - $135M
TOTAL: $654M

A-list Hollywood Talent!

Clearly, Ryan Reynolds found the right witch doctor at long last.

tonka

Thor 2 - $644M

Red Dawn - $45M
Rush - $90M
Black Hat - $20M
Vacation - $105M
Ghostbusters - $135M

A-list Hollywood Talent!

Rush is the best of those movies, I wish more people saw Rush

kswiston

The Hemsworth Advantage: Production budget edition

Thor 2 - $170M spent ($644M total ww gross)

Red Dawn - $65M
Rush - $38M
Black Hat - $70M
Vacation - $31M
In The Heart of the Sea -$100M
The Huntsman: Winters War - $115M
Ghostbusters - $144M
TOTAL: $563M spent ($654M total ww gross)

mjc

I've said it before, I'll stand by it. GAF has a hatred for Thor 2. I think that's wrong...it's not a horrid film by any means.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I mean... greatness is a bit much. Surprising semi-success.

Tarzan will be most likely be WB's highest-grossing film domestically of 2016 that does not take place in the Harry Potter or DC universe. Pretty great if you ask me :p

Barring the terrible budget, it's had quite the run :)

So much greatness that Bobby Roberts went into an existential crisis and left GAF forever.

He couldn't handle the greatness!

I do miss him though :(

Timu

The $36M hasn't been updated in a week. Even if Ghostbusters got pulled out of overseas cinemas this past Monday making $36M the final tally, $125M domestic gives it $160M.

Ghostbusters opened up in 23 more territories this weekend (granted most are small) and still has openings in France, Germany, Spain, and Japan in August. $200M will happen.
200 might happen like weeks from now!!!

Tarzan will be most likely be WB's highest-grossing film domestically of 2016 that does not take place in the Harry Potter or DC universe.

WB at this statement.

tumblr_inline_neg5jtA4LX1rww54p.gif

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Still better than being Sony I guess!

Or Paramount! What a mess.

Greenlighting a film: Star Trek 4, despite gearing for a lower gross than Into the Darkness domestically and worldwide, and attach household bomba (sorry Bobby) name aka the Chris Hemsworth, because they have nothing else in their arsenal with the exception of Transformers and Mission Impossible. Sad.

WB at this statement.

tumblr_inline_neg5jtA4LX1rww54p.gif

tarzan-teacup.gif

3N16MA

Banned
Thor 2 - $644M

Red Dawn - $45M
Rush - $90M
Black Hat - $20M
Vacation - $105M
Ghostbusters - $135M

A-list Hollywood Talent!

Avengers - 1.5B
AOU- 1.4B
Thor 449M
Snow White - 396M
Star Trek - 385M

Leaving out his biggest hits to make him look bad. I never expected that from you.

Would you like me to list Liam's big hits?

Avengers - 1.5B
AOU- 1.4B
Thor 449M
Snow White - 396M
Star Trek - 385M

Leaving out his biggest hits to make him look bad. I never expected that from you.

We all know Avengers and Thor made money off the Skarsgård family star power.

FoneBone

Paramount doesn't even have a script or director for Star Trek 4, and they announced it before Beyond actually opened. I'm not convinced it'll actually happen unless China delivers for Beyond in a big way.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I mean, who the hell thinks Chris Hemsworth and his one scene was responsible for Star Trek's box office?

Paramount doesn't even have a script or director for Star Trek 4, and they announced it before Beyond actually opened. I'm not convinced it'll actually happen unless China delivers for Beyond in a big way.
That did reek of trying to instill confidence in Beyond more than having any kind of real plan. It was a PR move, perhaps forced after the mixed reception to the Sulu PR drop.

3N16MA

Banned
I mean, who the hell thinks Chris Hemsworth and his one scene was responsible for Star Trek's box office?

That did reek of trying to instill confidence in Beyond more than having any kind of real plan. It was a PR move, perhaps forced after the mixed reception to the Sulu PR drop.

He is not as good as his brother, Liam. However do not question the BO power of the Hemsworth bothers.

kswiston

We will have estimates in 2 hours, but it looks like Bourne will land around where Star Trek did last weekend. Star Trek will drop 60% (or just under). Ghostbusters is down another 50%+ (narrowing its Tarzan lead to $3M).

It's not looking good for any of these films' recovery next weekend either.

Bluth54

Hemsworth will carry Thor 3 to 1B.
I think Thor 3 could do big business. A Thor and Hulk buddy film sounds like it could be a lot of fun, Marvel studios just needs to make sure the quality of the film is a lot better then the first two.

Mimosa97

I've just watched Start Trek. What a mediocre movie. The vilain is a joke. The story is a joke. Action scenes were okay and that's about it.

I facepalmed so many times at the dialogues. The actors looked so jaded. What a shitshow of a movie.

kswiston

Official weekend estimate for Bourne is $60.0M. Worldwide weekend was $110M

I'll post the rest of the weekend estimates when I get a few more numbers (missing Star Trek and Lights Out)

kswiston

Weekend Studio Estimates:

1) Jason Bourne - $60.0M ($120M budget)
2) Star Trek Beyond - $24.0M (-59%) - $106M total
3) Bad Moms - $23.4M ($20M budget)
4) The Secret Life of Pets - $18.2M (-38%) - $296M total
5) Lights Out - $10.8M (-50%) - $42M total
6) Ice Age: Collision Course - $10.5M (-51%) - $42M total
7) Ghostbusters - $9.8M (-53%) - $106M total
8) Nerve - $9.0M - $15M 5-day opening ($20M budget)
9) Finding Dory - $4.2M (-41%) - $469M
10) The Legend of Tarzan - $2.4M (-63%) - $122M total
11) Hilary's America - $2.4M - $9M total

Pets held well, everything else not as much. Bourne Poached Tarzan. It will still pass $125M, but $130M+ might be dead. Especially with Suicide Squad stealing screens next week.

Curufinwe

I've just watched Start Trek. What a mediocre movie. The vilain is a joke. The story is a joke. Action scenes were okay and that's about it.

I facepalmed so many times at the dialogues. The actors looked so jaded. What a shitshow of a movie.

It's always funny when people project their personal negativity this way.

kswiston

Dory is now at $830M. Getting to $1B is going to be more of a slog than anyone thought. Overseas aren't showing the same love for Dory that domestic audiences did.

Thor 2 - $644M

Red Dawn - $45M
Rush - $90M
Black Hat - $20M
Vacation - $105M
Ghostbusters - $135M

A-list Hollywood Talent!

Avengers - 1.5B
AOU- 1.4B
Thor 449M
Snow White - 396M
Star Trek - 385M

Did everyone forget the was in cabin in the woods? Did everyone just forget about cabin in the woods? :(

El Topo

Did everyone forget the was in cabin in the woods? Did everyone just forget about cabin in the woods? :(

Do you really want to add another modest performance to his list (where he only played a small role)? Solid movie though, watched it for the first time a few weeks ago.

Ridley327

Last one with Renner opened 22M less, so according to my maths I would say Damon is worth 22M.

IIRC, Legacy opened just after the Aurora shooting, which was hitting everything pretty hard at that point in time. Damon is definitely a bigger star than Renner, but that wasn't the only factor it had to deal with.

kswiston

Think there was too much elapsed time between the original and the sequel?

No. Dory will still top the animated domestic record by around $40M. Secret Life of Pets is what killed its late legs.

Overseas, I am not sure. Pets and Ice Age launching first in a lot of territories probably didn't help. I don't think that most parents are up for spending $50-100 taking their family to the movies every week. Pixar should perhaps re-think their worldwide launch approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom