• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 0722-2416 - DOM Lights dim for Ice Age, the force weakens with Star Trek

Status
Not open for further replies.
STB is paying the price for Into Darkness. The bad trailer didn't help either.

Oh right, I completely forgot about trailers. Which is stupid of me, since I make the exact same case for Ghostbusters like, on page 2 on this BO thread or the previous one. :')
I am dumbass.

When is ghostbusters coming out?

ooooooooh, daaaamn.

Those GB drops are brutal. Definitely not legging out like most of Feig's other films.

I've bothered to get Spy (2015) to check out whether GB is just a bad run or a systemic thing. GB is definitely a bad run, BUT its problems are also already apparent in Spy as well, including a full-on dick joke by 40 minutes or so. However, it makes up for it by an actual written script with written gags (the vermin in the office), and the 'ladies only' cast in the office making sense due to the inherent sexism of the spy-movies that the movie spoofs, most obviously with Jude Law as a James Bond type. That sneeze at the start was an excellent joke in that regard, with the 'convoluted plot exposition' directly preceding it. That's premise, setup, expectation into surprising result: a joke.
But what keeps it in check with the improv is that McCarthy is countered by Allison Janney, whose veteran ability to keep a straight face works well, and Jason Stratham just making stuff up with a straight face works too because he's fucking KRANK. In contrast, GB was never sexist if you take that Venkman being a creep was the joke of his character, so the 'all ladies' idea fails, and there is no one to reel the improv back in, combined with no discernible script writing, and a much to tight release schedule (Fieg takes two years per movie, whereas with GB he had just one. Kind of obvious why it failed when you look at that. They probably barely had time to even start editing it properly. ).
I stopped the movie about halfway, but it definitely shows both why GB fails as well as what it could have been had it been given more time. I did feel, while I was watching GB, that it was a project that had run out of time so they just left shit in that should have been taken out and so on. Happens a lot with video games, so I can kind of tell now after playing a whole lot of those. And of course, SPECTRE had the exact same problem.

Wait....Paramount is really betting on Chris Hemsworth bringing box office success?!

Next time it's Vin Diesel as Picard. Have you seen those Fast and Furious receipts? If you ignore every other film he's done, he's a mega star on the level of Hemsworth!

Timu

Studios take in about 55% of the domestic gross and less (maybe 40%) overseas.

Given where the domestic gross is heading, Ghostbusters needed ~$325M worldwide to recoup its production costs (not considering marketing costs). It's looking like it will end up $75-100M short of that.
325 million? Oh man, it needs to get to work on 200 million 1st!

Everything is underperforming this summer other than animation it seems. Even Civil War was tracking higher and had pretty poor legs (not that that matters much when your film makes $1.15B).

Dory and Secret Life of Pets overperformed. Other than that, Central Intelligence and The Conjuring 2 ended up around where they were expected to and Tarzan overperformed while still making less than it needed to make money on its ridiculous budget. Everything else with a budget over $50M was under expectations.
This year's line up has been lacking legs even more than usual.

Yeah, everything has been coming underneath estimates. Feels like the audiences are simply not there except for the largest films. It's quite odd and I wonder what's feeding into it.

Do people think we will still get another Star Trek movie after this? I hope so, really liked this one a lot.

Already confirmed.

Ghostbusters legs are way below Feig/McCarthy's normals. It's going to struggle to $150 million domestic at best.

To think everyone thought Tarzan would be the complete bomb of Summer.

Oh how completely wrong we were. Still this summer has been filled with lots of underperforming movies.

BumRush

Wow, GB was just a major disaster. Not even close to making its production budget back and I'd have to think marketing was pretty high.

He's talking about WW numbers

So am I. It'll creep past 100 million in the US this weekend. Reaching $125 million will be a haul it's legs can maybe pull off. It's already opened in its major English speaking markets and is sitting at $36 million international. $200 million is a fantasy at this point. But maybe I'm just being too pessimistic.

kswiston

Wow, GB was just a major disaster. Not even close to making its production budget back and I'd have to think marketing was pretty high.

I think that Alice still deserves the Flop of the Summer award. $170M budget, coming off a $1B predecessor, and it failed to hit $300M.

Lothar

Banned

If only they had spent some of that marketing money on a team that could make a decent trailer.

The trailers are why I didn't see it. That made me wait for reviews, and all the reviewers I respect the most (like RLM and Double Toasted) tore it to pieces.

I'm surprised it made as much as money as it did with those trailers. A lot of people I know in real life was curious about it but the trailers ended all of that interest.

kswiston

So am I. It'll creep past 100 million in the US this weekend. Reaching $125 million will be a haul it's legs can maybe pull off. It's already opened in its major English speaking markets and is sitting at $36 million international. $200 million is a fantasy at this point. But maybe I'm just being too pessimistic.

The $36M hasn't been updated in a week. Even if Ghostbusters got pulled out of overseas cinemas this past Monday making $36M the final tally, $125M domestic gives it $160M.

Ghostbusters opened up in 23 more territories this weekend (granted most are small) and still has openings in France, Germany, Spain, and Japan in August. $200M will happen.

kswiston

And we thought only giving it 500 mil was a pipe dream

To be fair, we've never seen that sort of drop-off to a film whose predecessor made over $750M.

ID4R was pretty terrible too. Who would have predicted a couple of years ago that a follow up to Independence Day would be outgrossed by a follow up to Beyond Thunderdome with no Chinese release.

To be fair, we've never seen that sort of drop-off to a film whose predecessor made over $750M.

ID4R was pretty terrible too. Who would have predicted a couple of years ago that a follow up to Independence Day would be outgrossed by a follow up to Beyond Thunderdome with no Chinese release.

And that Thunderdome followup was probably the best movie of 2015

I have no clue what to believe anymore

Clearly the real reason Ghostbusters bomb

NE2WhNI11CrZ5a_1_b.jpg

Star Trek 4 gon be the first movie to make negative dollars. Paramount is gonna pay niggas to come to the theaters if Hemsworth is there.

kswiston

I wonder if Alice's gross is a sign of things to come for Pirates 5? Disney seems to think so.

It wouldn't be as bad as Alice, but Pirates 5 will have a large drop. Transformers 5 too. China can only do so much.

EDIT: Also, an Alice drop for Avatar 2 is still close to $800M

It would be as bad as Alice, but Pirates 5 will have a large drop. Transformers 5 too. China can only do so much.

EDIT: Also, an Alice drop for Avatar 2 is still close to $800M

Considering Avatar 2's expected budget + marketing costs, an $800 million gross could actually mean that it loses money.

tonka

Not even back-to-back. He's doing it as a true, single production. Like, one day he'll be shooting Avatar 5, the next Avatar 3. Kind of completely nuts. Will be interesting.

wait, what's his release schedule?

are we talking the matrix close or lord of the rings close?

Even closer? pull the trigger on the next one as soon as the percentages get too low?

Cameron's been planning on doing a lot of things. None of which have happened. He's like the GRRM of Hollywood.

This is absolutely true, lol.

Fun fact: every 2 years Avatar 2 is delayed by he has adds an extra sequel.

wait, what's his release schedule?

are we talking the matrix close or lord of the rings close?

Even closer? pull the trigger on the next one as soon as the percentages get too low?

Every two years. Which makes the production cycle he has planned pretty weird unless he plans like 2 years of post for every movie.

lol, I just realized, with reshoots he may have scenes in Avatar 5 filmed like, FIVE YEARS APART

Deadline reported "Christmas 2018 with sequels following at Christmastime in 2020 and 2022 and 2023"

http://deadline.com/2016/04/james-c...gets-cheers-from-exhibs-cinemacon-1201737814/

Looks like they are leaving convenient Star Wars holes.

Ah, I forgot that Avatar 5 was planned for only one year after 4.

But yeah, it's they're definitely releasing on the years between Saga films on purpose. Makes sense. Releasing at the same time just hurts both. It's kinda like when the Beatles and the Stones colluded to release their albums at different times so they could both have #1. :p

If only they had spent some of that marketing money on a team that could make a decent trailer.

The trailers are why I didn't see it. That made me wait for reviews, and all the reviewers I respect the most (like RLM and Double Toasted) tore it to pieces.

I'm surprised it made as much as money as it did with those trailers. A lot of people I know in real life was curious about it but the trailers ended all of that interest.

Ditto- the first trailer turned me off immediately. The trailers that came later were no better. So I figured I'd wait for it to release and see what my favorite reviewers thought- it was mostly either dismissive or negative to downright horrified.

kswiston

I guess that explains the upcoming 6 month shooting bracket I've seen, but that doesn't seem like enough time.

Maybe that's just the live action stuff. Looks like Cameron spent about 30 days filming the live action stuff in the first film and another 30 filming the motion capture.

DM3 over Transformers 5 WW?

Possibly. International will probably match TF, so it's down to domestic and the Transformers films have been trending down there.

Next year is pretty strong: Fast 8, Transformers, Episode VII, Guardians 2, Lego Batman, Cars 3, and Jeepers Creepers 3.

Ridley327

Clearly the real reason Ghostbusters bomb

NE2WhNI11CrZ5a_1_b.jpg

Star Trek 4 gon be the first movie to make negative dollars. Paramount is gonna pay niggas to come to the theaters if Hemsworth is there.

It's crazy that Hemsworth has been in far better films than Thor, and I don't even think that they can combine their grosses to match what the sequel did, and everyone hates that film.

It doesn't make sense! Nothing makes sense!

It's crazy that Hemsworth has been in far better films than Thor, and I don't even think that they can combine their grosses to match what the sequel did, and everyone hates that film.

The Marvel brand is simply stronger than anything in those other films.

Hollywood leans on remakes, adaptations, and sequels for a reason. (Hint: It's us.)

kswiston

Thor 2 - $644M

Red Dawn - $45M
Rush - $90M
Black Hat - $20M
Vacation - $105M
In The Heart of the Sea -$94M
The Huntsman: Winters War - $165M
Ghostbusters - $135M
TOTAL: $654M

A-list Hollywood Talent!

Status
Not open for further replies.