• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 0722-2416 - DOM Lights dim for Ice Age, the force weakens with Star Trek

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching that Half In The Bag, I realized that it's been a long time since Mike seemed so genuinely happy and excited about a movie. He called Beyond one of his favorite movies of the past few years.

Comparing the numbers of Beyond and Into Darkness on Box Office Mojo just bums me out. I hope it does well in China.

YES! And I feel the exact same way about the movie. I mean, Pegg goes straight from 'captain's log' into a turbolift that actually takes a while to get somewhere, into a shot of a Star Trek mug. That was my idea of a Star trek moneyshot, right there. It's both a reference to Pegg's writing AND the tea / coffee from TNG and Voyager, which is such a great little thing I now want that mug. I am very happy Pegg decided to step in and write the movie himself, as it's the best of both worlds, reboot and the shows.

Schlorgan

YES! And I feel the exact same way about the movie. I mean, Pegg goes straight from 'captain's log' into a turbolift that actually takes a while to get somewhere, into a shot of a Star Trek mug. That was my idea of a Star trek moneyshot, right there. It's both a reference to Pegg's writing AND the tea / coffee from TNG and Voyager, which is such a great little thing I now want that mug. I am very happy Pegg decided to step in and write the movie himself, as it's the best of both worlds, reboot and the shows.

I just want one of the field jackets that Kirk and Chekov had. ;)

French comedies are absolutely dreadful 90% of the time, I have a hard time understandING how you find american comedies idiotic but then praise French ones, they're mostly fucking dumb.

Yeah, that comment surprised me as well. I'm French and me and everyone I know would rather watch anything rather than a French comedy, they are so incredibly lazy and unfunny. There have been some good ones other the years, but very few classics. The good to bad ratio is depressing, we have nothing on british and american comedies. Of course, to each his own but that's the first time I've actually seen anyone praise French comedies.

Zackat

I really hope Star Trek Beyond does well. I know it's the third movie, so it will probably makes less than the movie before it, but it's the first real Star Trek movie of the bunch. This is the reboot I wanted to see.
Reading the reaction in the spoiler thread from is like reading opposite world. Like calling Into Darkness better...? In what world is that piece of shit better than anything?

So of course, the first actually well-written ST movie will do worse than the stupid and loud previous ones. Kill me. Please.

I liked it a lot. Especially the actress playing Jaylah. We gonna get some more of them right?

I liked it a lot. Especially the actress playing Jaylah. We gonna get some more of them right?

They've already confirmed a 4th film. I really hope Beyond holds well as its pretty great. I seem to be the minority who also loved the 1st film and Into Darkness as well though. This whole series has been a fun ride IMO

I would love to see them finish off the whole Kirk / Original crew ark in the next film and then move on to a TNG reboot

Zackat

Deadline Estimates:

Jason Bourne: $59-61M OW
Bad Moms: $26-27M OW
Nerve: $9M OW
Star Trek: $23M (-60%)

Star Trek is not holding, like at all. $140-150M domestically final tally. WW total of Into the Darkness seems out of reach even with China overperforming.

http://deadline.com/2016/07/jason-b...pening-weekend-box-office-results-1201795475/

man that stinks. That's probably the first movie this summer that I have seen in theaters that I really liked. Unless Civil War is also considered a summer movie, because I also liked that.

Honorable mention to Warcraft of course, the movie wasn't the best but I loved it as a fan.

yeah... it's weird. Maybe it's just overkill with the amount of movies?
I imagine it will have a better run on home releases due to word of mouth to some extend, but it really deserves to do better than the previous two.

I will say that the editing on some things was a little 'hyper' sometimes, like
Uhura and Sulu coming up the broadcast thing when they try to escape
and the camera angle changing every two seconds while there is no need for it in that scene. It slows down for other scenes though, so it's not a continuous thing, and I though
the fluid transition with the disk tipping over
was fantastic editing.

edit: forgot spoiler tags for a second there

What is going on with Live Action this year? Its crazy, so many films either under performing or not looking great

It actually makes Civil War look more impressive each and every week.

STB is paying the price for Into Darkness. The bad trailer didn't help either.

Outside of fan bubbles, didn't audiences generally like Into Darkness? I think the trailers are more to blame here than anything, particularly since it's not an overly strong film brand, so it can be dinged pretty easily. Plus, Into Darkness itself had a poor ad campaign that hurt its numbers as well.

Live action period is looking pretty rough this year.

Expect more superhero action and animated films in 2018? Hollywood will double down on what it feels works.

Honestly, I think our expectations for films have been skewed by Disney's strong showings and Universal's mystifying 2015.

Branduil

Outside of fan bubbles, didn't audiences generally like Into Darkness? I think the trailers are more to blame here than anything, particularly since it's not an overly strong film brand, so it can be dinged pretty easily. Plus, Into Darkness itself had a poor ad campaign that hurt its numbers as well.

Hardcore Trekkies make up a small percentage of the potential audience, but I think the lack of fan excitement can have a big effect on word of mouth.

Also, I think Into Darkness aged pretty badly. Even if you liked it, it's rather forgettable.

Live action period is looking pretty rough this year.

Expect more superhero action and animated films in 2018? Hollywood will double down on what it feels works.

Honestly, I think our expectations for films have been skewed by Disney's strong showings and Universal's mystifying 2015.

Half of hollywood is scrambling to try and make a deal to make their ip a part of the mcu.

I find it funny that in the Sausage Party commercial they put a giant R rating logo at the start with a narrator saying it's rated R, and at the end of the commercial a narrator again says it's rated R and lists the reasons it's rated R. They're really trying to cover themselves that just because it's animated doesn't mean it's a kids movie.

Busty

Banned
STB is paying the price for Into Darkness. The bad trailer didn't help either.

Agreed. The trailers for this have been consistently terrible and the last minute addition of that Rihanna single just screamed panic from the studio.

Everyone else just needs to make better movies.

To be fair Disney only makes four types of film while the other studios have to cater for a wider range of tastes...,

.. or at least they will for the next couple of years before every studio adopts Disney's 'silo' filmmaking model. :(

I was planning on seeing bourne today, maybe now I'll just rewatch my blu rays

wow lights out and purge election year showing everyone else how to make money on the cheap

BumRush

wow lights out and purge election year showing everyone else how to make money on the cheap

It's become the safest way to make money in hollywood. The profit margins are amazing, almost regardless of quality (not saying those two are bad at all, I haven't seen either yet).

BumRush

To be fair Disney only makes four types of film while the other studios have to cater for a wider range of tastes...,

.. or at least they will for the next couple of years before every studio adopts Disney's 'silo' filmmaking model. :(

I don't disagree, but Disney's able to get away with that because the quality of their films has been good to great (with few exceptions) while other studios have produced a far bigger % of duds. Disney can make half the films of the competition and twice the money.

I find it funny that in the Sausage Party commercial they put a giant R rating logo at the start with a narrator saying it's rated R, and at the end of the commercial a narrator again says it's rated R and lists the reasons it's rated R. They're really trying to cover themselves that just because it's animated doesn't mean it's a kids movie.

...or it's a joke.

kswiston

Everything is underperforming this summer other than animation it seems. Even Civil War was tracking higher and had pretty poor legs (not that that matters much when your film makes $1.15B).

Dory and Secret Life of Pets overperformed. Other than that, Central Intelligence and The Conjuring 2 ended up around where they were expected to and Tarzan overperformed while still making less than it needed to make money on its ridiculous budget. Everything else with a budget over $50M was under expectations.

It's become the safest way to make money in hollywood. The profit margins are amazing, almost regardless of quality (not saying those two are bad at all, I haven't seen either yet).

You might also see a return of the 80's model where the studios rather then trying amalgamating all the studios under a single brand, you see mor smaller studios popping up with distribution deals. Warner is already experimenting with it by letting New Line go back to its low budget horror roots. I think the overall market would benefit if instead of pushing towards the Disney model. Hollywood went back to the 80's and 90's model with more big independents ie Orion, Carolco, New Line, Mirimax etc.

kswiston

Friday Studio Estimates:

1) Jason Bourne - $22.7M
2) Bad Moms - $9.6M
3) Star Trek Beyond - $6.8M (-70%) - $89M total
4) The Secret Life of Pets - $5.5M (-39%) - $284M total
5) Lights Out - $3.5M (-62%) - $36M total
6) Ice Age: Collision Course (-59%) - $3.2M - $42M total

Not that I think this is a larger trend more than just these individual movies not connecting the way studios anticipated...but I do wonder how Rogue One is going to do

Friday Studio Estimates:

1) Jason Bourne - $22.7M
2) Bad Moms - $9.6M

Damn. Thats a much bigger Friday for Bourne than I expected. 55 mil weekend?

Takao

Banned
Is Paramount becoming the next Sony? They own more franchises than the latter, but they've struggled to make them bankable. Transformers is their biggest, but that's licensed and going to contract hard domestically (China don't care might make it a wash globally). This incarnation of TMNT is almost certainly dead. Star Trek is crawling, though, I guess it could see growth with the fourth. Cruise can only be in so many Mission Impossible films.

Friday Studio Estimates:

1) Jason Bourne - $22.7M
2) Bad Moms - $9.6M
5) Lights Out - $3.5M (-62%) - $36M total
6) Ice Age: Collision Course (-59%) - $3.2M - $42M total

When is ghostbusters coming out?

When is ghostbusters coming out?

tumblr_moqfs4gcLQ1qfr6udo3_500.gif

Doesn't look like GB is going make its production budget back, domestically, at this point. International numbers will need to get them there + whatever the marketing costs were.

kunonabi

Doesn't look like GB is going make its production budget back, domestically, at this point. International numbers will need to get them there + whatever the marketing costs were.

They don't get all of the foreign grosses right? Is there any way to estimate what the foreign numbers would have to hit to reasonably match the production budget?

kadotsu

Banned
Maybe studios will start cutting intriguing trailers again instead of vapid bullshit set to an unrelated Gen X pop song.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom