• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 0722-2416 - DOM Lights dim for Ice Age, the force weakens with Star Trek

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

They don't get all of the foreign grosses right? Is there any way to estimate what the foreign numbers would have to hit to reasonably match the production budget?

Studios take in about 55% of the domestic gross and less (maybe 40%) overseas.

Given where the domestic gross is heading, Ghostbusters needed ~$325M worldwide to recoup its production costs (not considering marketing costs). It's looking like it will end up $75-100M short of that.

kunonabi

Studios take in about 55% of the domestic gross and less (maybe 40%) overseas.

Given where the domestic gross is heading, Ghostbusters needed ~$325M worldwide to recoup its production costs (not considering marketing costs). It's looking like it will end up $75-100M short of that.

Yikes. Thanks for the rundown.

Savitar

That's what happens when the previous two movies were shitastic and many fans only supported them due to the name and eventually get tired of that shit.

This year has been a bloodbath outside of Disney. Disney is just murdering everyone.
To be fair, The BFG and Alice in wonderland 2 bombed and the same could happen to Pete's Dragon.

It's just that unlike everyone else, Disney can bury it's losses under the huge successes.

Sean C

That's what happens when the previous two movies were shitastic and many fans only supported them due to the name and eventually get tired of that shit.
Star Trek 2009 was and remains highly popular with fans and viewers.

Do people think we will still get another Star Trek movie after this? I hope so, really liked this one a lot.
Paramount already announced the next one. Whether the box office causes them to reconsider, I don't know, but they're pretty short on properties to make use of.

kswiston

The word of mouth is nowhere near as good due to the controversy.

This year's line up has been lacking legs even more than usual.

Not counting Bourne (too early to say anything about legs), the only 2016 live action films that are currently in the domestic top 25 for the year and will have at least a 3x opening weekend multiplier by the ends of their runs are The Jungle Book (3.52x OW), Central Intelligence (currently 3.51x OW), and Tarzan (currently 3.12x OW). The next two runners up were 10 Cloverfield Lane (2.91x OW) and Now You See Me 2 (2.87x OW).

Reviews for those 5 are all over the place.

kswiston

RIP Star Trek

Paramount still making a sequel cuz them niggas desperate

They are praying that Hemsworth makes a difference. Which we all know isn't happening unless it turns out that the Mirrorverse version of Kirk's dad actually is Thor, and Trek 4 is a Marvel Studios co-production.

Is it possible the to show announcement affected trek? True, the big numbers come from people who don't give a shit about "real" Star Trek, but I have to assume most Trekkies -like me- were partly going to see these films because we were thirsty; now there is a show afoot in the prime universe, would Trekkies even care about the films?

Those GB drops are brutal. Definately not legging out like most of Feig's other films.

It was ridiculous to expect it to, man I love this movie but I'm so pissed they gave it 140 million because that's the only reason these numbers are considered terrible.

It was a flat out mistake on Feig's to ask for and for Pascal to give that much.

Friday Studio Estimates:

1) Jason Bourne - $22.7M
2) Bad Moms - $9.6M
3) Star Trek Beyond - $6.8M (-70%) - $89M total
4) The Secret Life of Pets - $5.5M (-39%) - $284M total
5) Lights Out - $3.5M (-62%) - $36M total
6) Ice Age: Collision Course (-59%) - $3.2M - $42M total

Jesus Christ Bourne is #1.

They are praying that Hemsworth makes a difference. Which we all know isn't happening unless it turns out that the Mirrorverse version of Kirk's dad actually is Thor, and Trek 4 is a Marvel Studios co-production.

Chris Pine, Chris Hemsworth, maybe they can strike a deal and get Chris Evans here, too. Might be the only way to keep this franchise going.

Poor Star Trek - it's not even close to being a bad film and it gets this. Jeez.

Given that Star Trek is one of Paramount's last franchises, i think it's likely but it will probably be the last. It's clear to me that the magic from the reboot is gone.

It was ridiculous to expect it to, man I love this movie but I'm so pissed they gave it 140 million because that's the only reason these numbers are considered terrible.

It was a flat out mistake on Feig's to ask for and for Pascal to give that much.

The premise of your post is flawed. A lower budget doesn't mean it would have achieved a higher ROI.

And to think

We were all shitting on Tarzan

tumblr_nz4ef9WCgR1ty8mi0o3_r1_540.gif

Henkka

Banned
The word of mouth is nowhere near as good due to the controversy.

The controversy probably helped the movie, even Rothman said so:

How do you think the Ghostbusters online bashing will impact the film?

It’s the greatest thing that ever happened. Are you kidding me? We’re in the national debate, thank you. Can we please get some more haters to say stupid things?

Poor word of mouth probably has more to do with the movie not being great. I also believe that, women or no, a lot of people genuinely did not want a remake of the 1984 Ghostbusters.

Serious question, exactly how many children did David Yates blood sacrifice to get his Teflon-like properties in the box office

Acorn

Just saw the half in the bag for star trek. Mike is a trekkie and liked it so I actually want to see a star trek movie for the first time in forever.

SJRB

Gold Member
Just came home from watching Tarzan.

I expected absolute garbage, but I really enjoyed myself. Movie is excellent. It's not a typical origin story, which was a huge relief. Story is barebones but it works, movie has a lot of neat visuals and Margot Robbie is absolutely incredible. I rolled my eyes when Samuel L. Jackson appeared, but turns out he was a great addition and a really, really good comic relief character. Movie has a lot of humor. Skarsgard is okay, I guess.

But that Christopher Waltz, man I don't know anymore about him. Similar to SPECTRE he's going for the "super polite but sinister" type of character, and similar to SPECTRE he just comes across as a nice guy. Sure his plan is evil wicked, but the sinister part never really shines through.

Also, theatre was PACKED. Totally didn't expect that either.

So Into the Darkness really damaged the Star Trek brand?

I would say so.

However, Star Trek films are a bit of a contradiction. Most reviewers who are Trekkies say Beyond is the most Trek-like film in ages - since Star Trek Insurrection (1998), in fact. The problem is this is a highly niche audience. Most film-goers want an action flick set in space.

This is a problem that has pervaded the Star Trek film franchise since ST: The Motion Picture.

So Into the Darkness really damaged the Star Trek brand?

Non-Trekkie fans generally liked Into Darkness. The main praise I hear of Beyond is that its more "traditional" Star Trek fair, which surprise surprise, is not what mainstream audiences want.

Schlorgan

Non-Trekkie fans generally liked Into Darkness. The main praise I hear of Beyond is that its more "traditional" Star Trek fair, which surprise surprise, is not what mainstream audiences want.

It's sad because Beyond is a movie that I think anyone can enjoy, Trekkie or not.

I feel The Wrath of Khan was the sweet spot.

But yeah, Trek's future is on TV, more specifically Netflix type services. I'm okay with that.

MoeDabs

Given that Star Trek is one of Paramount's last franchises, i think it's likely but it will probably be the last. It's clear to me that the magic from the reboot is gone.

The premise of your post is flawed. A lower budget doesn't mean it would have achieved a higher ROI.

Do you mean the announced 4th film will be the last or this one currently playing?

jey_16

Banned
Star Trek :( hope this doesn't stop another one being made....have enjoyed all three despite never being a huge fan of the originals

3N16MA

Banned
He was in the first film as Kirk's father so I guess it makes sense to bring him back in some form.

Should have cast Liam if they wanted to bring in the cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom