• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 09•01-03•17 - Labor Day WEAKend box office has nothing as Bodyguard 3peats

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Is it weird that I don't understand the appeal of It? Like I'm seriously surprised so many people are going to see it.

Yeah IT is gonna have an insane opening, its looked like it was going to be for a while to me, just because of buzz on my social media feed. It also is really helping its apparently a good movie.

Is it weird that I don't understand the appeal of It? Like I'm seriously surprised so many people are going to see it.

I'm with you I have no interest in it, but it clearly is clicking with a ton of people so there's something there. The idea of a scary clown movie doesn't do much for me but a lot of people are finding it hitting the right buttons

Anecdotal evidence as I wait in line for IT. The 7pm showing is getting out, and I think I only saw 2 people that might be over 25. Tons of college and high school students. So this is appealing younger in this town at least.

Yeah IT is gonna have an insane opening, its looked like it was going to be for a while to me, just because of buzz on my social media feed. It also is really helping its apparently a good movie.

I'm with you I have no interest in it, but it clearly is clicking with a ton of people so there's something there. The idea of a scary clown movie doesn't do much for me but a lot of people are finding it hitting the right buttons
The story of IT is so much more than "scary clown". It's a dark Spielbergian adventure and coming of age story in the middle of a epic lovecraftian horror tale and an equally dark story of domestic terror

Strong characters + a strong coming of age story + creepy memorable villain + very wide audience appeal
(from current teens to mid-40s who first saw the miniseries as teens to long time King fans) + the resurgence of 80s horror and nostalgia with Stranger Things, It Follows, etc

IT was pretty damn good. It never leaned too far into nightmare inducing imagery, but there are some very solid scenes of dread and jump scares throughout.
My other main criticism is that they never got into how fucked up and evil the town itself was. It was just a regular old town. This is something they can easily expand upon in the next one.
Skarsgard was great as Pennywise, and I look forward to seeing what he does with the material to come in the inevitable sequel.
The best thing about the film was The Losers. The kids were so damn great and lovable, and the best parts were just them being foul mouthed friends and hanging out.
I definitely will be seeing this again though.

I will agree with Bobby (I think it was Bobby) that said your reaction to the film will depend on what you go in expecting. About 40 minutes into the film tonight, a few assholes sitting behind me kept complaining about the film and asking, "Is this supposed to be a fucking comedy?"
I think they just expected a clown stalking and killing kids and nothing else.

Also, more anecdotal evidence: this is going to make a fuckload of money this weekend. My theater had to add a few more screenings tonight, which I have not seen them do before. And this one filled up really damn quick.

Also, since the betting pool is closed on opening gross, let's see who can guess which day next week New Line closes deals with the director to have him on lockdown for chapter 2?

EDIT: Oh, and after seeing IT, I can see this movie having some serious legs. It feels like this weird four quadrant horror film. That is not a complaint.

womfalcs3

Banned
Somewhat off-topic, but I just watched Bridge of Spies, and I was so impressed that I had to write about it. The performance of all actors, especially Tom, was superb. The story was captivating, although predictable. I like how they started with the back story behind the arrest that kicked things off; I was hooked from the start.

It was somewhat of a self-righteous story, but it wasn't overdone, and that's understandable given the country of origin.

One of King's better books, and with a pretty good kids group dynamic.

I'm sure nostalgia plays a part, but I'm into it and only read the book (then saw the movie) within the last decade. Movie was pretty bad, apart from Tim Curry.

Anecdotal evidence of It being big. I was able to get reserved seats opening weekend to Spider-Man, Planet of the Apes, and Dunkirk no problem. Like, I woke up the day I wanted to see them and there were still plenty of seats. The reserved seating screens for It for tonight are pretty well sold out, and Saturday and Sunday are pretty filled out, with the best seats already taken.

So, clearly It is going to be bigger than Spider-Man.

Anecdotal evidence of It being big. I was able to get reserved seats opening weekend to Spider-Man, Planet of the Apes, and Dunkirk no problem. Like, I woke up the day I wanted to see them and there were still plenty of seats. The reserved seating screens for It for tonight are pretty well sold out, and Saturday and Sunday are pretty filled out, with the best seats already taken.

Anecdotal based on my theater... it might be bigger than Spidey this weekend.

Bigger than Spider-Man?

$117,027,504 million opening confirmed.

WB is having quite the year, aren't they?
I think Paramount is the only loser this year.

Deadline.

The strength of the Stephen King brand just proved itself as the R-rated It‘s Thursday showings delightfully horrified crowds, grabbing hold of $13.5M in previews that began at 7 PM. That means it nabbed the largest horror pre-show gross ever, the largest R-rated preview as well as the largest Sept. preview and the biggest ever for a movie based on a a Stephen King book.

It is also doing far and above the normal social media activity for the horror genre with a social media universe (SMU) totaling 273.2M breaking out as 35.5M Facebook fans, 7.9M Twitter followers, 225.5M YouTube views and 4.1M Instagram followers, according to RelishMix. The typical horror film has only a 61.2M SMU by opening week and It has over 273M.

We are awaiting grosses still on Home Again, the Reese Witherspoon-starring romantic comedy from Open Road Films which has a large core female audience. The film, which has drawn mixed reviews, is considered counter-programming in a weekend that will all but be chased out of theaters by a crazed clown. It was directed by Hallie Meyers-Shyer and also stars Lake Bell and Michael Sheen. It started previews at 7 PM.

Wow... If IT makes more than 100 million dollars this weekend, only October and January won't have an opening weekend in the nine digits.

Shit, I thought I was being too optimistic with my $82M prediction for It. I really suck this year. The only thing I predicted correctly was The Dark Tower's failure but that wasn't exactly a surprise.

Ya, I think that $200M is a done deal.
The thing with IT is that it also leaves the door open for a strong sequel. I haven't read the book but I heard that the second part of the story is usually weaker? I feel like Warner Bros. has the opportunity to deliver a very strong 'finale' with the second part by improving on the flaws of the book. Of course, if IT manages to become HUGE and I mean $300-400 million worldwide huge, Warner Bros. are going to keep churning out movies for the series one way or another.

DeathyBoy

Banned
The thing with IT is that it also leaves the door open for a strong sequel. I haven't read the book but I heard that the second part of the story is usually weaker? I feel like Warner Bros. has the opportunity to deliver a very strong 'finale' with the second part by improving on the flaws of the book. Of course, if IT manages to become HUGE and I mean $300-400 million worldwide huge, Warner Bros. are going to keep churning out movies for the series one way or another.

It's hard to say whether it's weaker given the book literally hops between the two narratives concurrently.

The book is not really a two-part story. It's just set in two different time periods.
But now I kinda hope that they make a third one set in 2040.
It x The Phantom 2040. Pure gold right there.

Pachimari

Got my ticket for Thor: Ragnarok right in the middle! I'm so ready. Cost me $18, much better than the $30 I would have to pay for Blade Runner 2049 because of 2D IMAX.

Top Bottom