• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 09•01-03•17 - Labor Day WEAKend box office has nothing as Bodyguard 3peats

Anth0ny

The thing that's most crazy about It doing this well is the subject matter itself.

An R-rated Jesus movie? Sure.

An R-rated comic book movies? That's funny.

An R-rated horror movie with a creepy ass clown that will probably give a lot of people nightmares? How the fuck are there $100m+ worth of people willing to watch that on a Friday or Saturday date night? lol

box office never fails to surprise me

kswiston

Horror has always been popular with the younger crowds. I think that IT is one of those rare horror films that is also going to draw the olds.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
The thing that's most crazy about It doing this well is the subject matter itself.

An R-rated Jesus movie? Sure.

An R-rated comic book movies? That's funny.

An R-rated horror movie with a creepy ass clown that will probably give a lot of people nightmares? How the fuck are there $100m+ worth of people willing to watch that on a Friday or Saturday date night? lol

box office never fails to surprise me

You can look at it that way, but another way to look at it is: it's a horror movie, it's based on a really popular book by a really popular author, it hits the 80s nostalgia that is in right now, it's coming off the similar Stranger Things, it's got a bit of its own nostalgia from the miniseries, and its marketing has been very effective.

kswiston

The box office was at record levels for the first 4-5 months this year. Summer just sucked in terms of bigger films that connected with audiences.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The box office was at record levels for the first 4-5 months this year. Summer just sucked in terms of bigger films that connected with audiences.
The summer box office take is so bizarre to me because I think July was the strongest single month of releases in my lifetime.

I will gladly eat crow over IT. My prediction was an opening above $55 million but less than or equal to 70 million at the best. Needless to say, it completely blew it away by a WIDE margin.

I am also getting hyped after all the good reviews and WOM for the movie. I have never watched IT completely, neither read the book. Although I do know the basic plot summary and have seen bits and pieces of it from the 2 parts that aired on TV. It is easily my most anticipated movie this month.

kswiston

The summer box office take is so bizarre to me because I think July was the strongest single month of releases in my lifetime.

What films are you referring to specifically? This July was oddly light on wide releases.

Spider-man and Dunkirk obviously did well. War for the Planet of the Apes came in under projections, and Valerian bombed. Girls Trip did really well for its budget. The Emoji movie and Atomic Blonde did alright.

Once you get past those 7, the next highest grossing film was Detroit (technically an August wide release) with less than $17M total. Wish Upon was the only other July film to see release in more than 600 venues.

The Top 10 July release cut off was The Inconvenient Truth sequel at less than $4M domestic total. The Top 10 cut off last year was BFG at $55M. The year before was Paper Towns at $32M.

Perhaps July would have compared more favourably if studios actually bothered to schedule films. April had more wide releases than July.

kswiston

Deadline's early Friday estimate for IT is $47M.

I am curious to see how things progress going into the evening shows.

Anth0ny

You can look at it that way, but another way to look at it is: it's a horror movie, it's based on a really popular book by a really popular author, it hits the 80s nostalgia that is in right now, it's coming off the similar Stranger Things, it's got a bit of its own nostalgia from the miniseries, and its marketing has been very effective.

I think you nailed it! Still blows me away that it looks like it'll be a $100m+ opening weekend. That's just crazy.

Obvious question/Obvious Answer: That's counting Thursday previews in the overall total, correct?

An almost $50mil Friday is fucking nuts. That's probably translating to a $110+ opening weekend, yeah?

$20mil short of Deadpool's #

kswiston

Obvious question/Obvious Answer: That's counting Thursday previews in the overall total, correct?

An almost $50mil Friday is fucking nuts. That's probably translating to a $110+ opening weekend, yeah?

$20mil short of Deadpool's #

It counts Thursday, but it is still early, so that number could go up or down. Breakout films tend to be underestimated by Deadline.

Deadpool's opening night was $47M. But, its first Monday was a holiday, so Sunday was inflated.

So this is potentially going to be the first film for Skarsgard brothers to open to $100 million considering how Alexandar failed with Tarzan.

TARS

Neo Member
Those are some huge numbers for IT. Horror is not my thing, but I might catch this in theaters. I really liked the first trailer.

Homecoming will have a big debut in China as well, and that led to Dunkirk falling hard from last Friday. I wonder if it will reach $50M now.

IT is pretty safe even if you are not a horror fan. It was more of a fun ride with some scares throughout. The more I think about it, the more I like it. I think I might be seeing it again this weekend.

And technically, neither was Bill Skarsgard.
Bill is IT. He is literally the lead character :p

Years after its release, no one will remember the kid actors unless one of them grows up to be the next Leo Di Caprio or Ryan Gosling, but they will still remember IT.

Just like Tim Curry was IT, I don't think it is unfair to discredit Bill as IT.

Bill is IT. He is literally the lead character :p

Years after its release, no one will remember the kid actors unless one of them grows up to be the next Leo Di Caprio or Ryan Gosling, but they will still remember IT.

Just like Tim Curry was IT, I don't think it is unfair to discredit Bill as IT.

Not discrediting him. He may be the title character, but he is not the lead in the film. But this is just getting into semantics.

I recently saw a photo of Bill Skarsgard and dude has a creepy look to him. Like, I'd be more creeped out if I saw him in a dark house than his take on Pennywise. Wouldn't be surprised if his name is tossed around at Joker stand alone meetings.

Just saw IT. I thought it was alright overall. I wanted more variety in the scares and more of Pennywise speaking/doing things. I enjoyed the latter half/ending. The opening was cool as well.

Just go harder with the clown stuff next time.

Miles X

Ok. NOW I'm hoping for half a bill WW for IT. If IT opens to $90/$100m domestically, I don't see why it can't hit $250m+, and then that abroad.

kswiston

Rth is saying $48M, maybe $49M for IT on Friday. There's still a showing or two on the west coast though, so we'll probably have a firm idea of IT's opening day in about 3 hours.

I've been underestimating IT so far, except for my $17m preview ass pull. But let's give this another shot: This will come close to Deadpool's record, maybe even overtake it. Seems like perfect conditions for it.

Top Bottom