• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 09•01-03•17 - Labor Day WEAKend box office has nothing as Bodyguard 3peats

GhaleonEB

With Monday estimates in, I think Wind River is shaping up to have a quiet, solid run. The PSA went up the past two weeks as it's platform release expanded (this week in part due to the holiday). I suspect it it will truck on to around $40m due to WoM.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
With Monday estimates in, I think Wind River is shaping up to have a quiet, solid run. The PSA went up the past two weeks as it's platform release expanded (this week in part due to the holiday). I suspect it it will truck on to around $40m due to WoM.

Would put it in the same ballpark as Hell or High Water and Sicario DoM.

Since it's Weinstien too, I'm expecting a solid Oscar push behind it. So Sheridan is going be moving up another notch this fall, again.

Hero

So with the box office being down this year what are analysts attributing it to? Franchise fatigue? Other entertainment sectors taking money/attention?

J_Viper

That's a damn fine comeback after being run over in SoA. Can't wait to see what he does next.

I don't know if I'll get the chance to watch Wind River in theaters, but I'll definitely blind buy that 4K disc.

Sean C

So with the box office being down this year what are analysts attributing it to? Franchise fatigue? Other entertainment sectors taking money/attention?
Unappealing movies and, in particular, a paucity of appealing films in August.

GhaleonEB

I don't know if I'll get the chance to watch Wind River in theaters, but I'll definitely blind buy that 4K disc.

I just got back from seeing it a second time. Brought my wife this go round. Theater was nearly 4x as busy as when I saw it last week. Probably the holidays but between that and the numbers, I think WoM is rock solid.

Far and away my favorite film of the year so far.

Amongst people I know there just hasn't been much excitement around the movies releasing. I think it's just a simple case of the movie slate this year not being all that exciting for the average movie goer. No doubt other factors could be at play as well.

Wind River should be making more money, though it is the kind of movie that most people would prefer to watch on VOD.

With that $6m weekend, Atomic Blond should be good for $100m total, yeah?

Later on in the article he talks about how AoS and Inhumans will cross over if they're both successful...

Oh god, please don't make Jed and Maurissa try to salvage that mess. They've done such good work. They don't deserve such punishment.

Sooooo no one is talking about American Assassin?

The Vince Flynn Cinematic Universe is going to be as huge a hit as the Lee Child Cinematic Universe.

And what is up with Dylan O'Brien growing his head and facial hair out to look like Taylor Kitsch in his "prime" star days?

DMczaf

American_Ninja_3_Blood_Hunt.jpg

Slayven

The Vince Flynn Cinematic Universe is going to be as huge a hit as the Lee Child Cinematic Universe.

And what is up with Dylan O'Brien growing his head and facial hair out to look like Taylor Kitsch in his "prime" star days?
Dude looks like he needs a sandwhich before taking on some terrorists
I was going to say that it sounded like the sort of thing that would have carried a $2 million budget and starred Casper Van Dien twenty years ago.
Casper Van Dien's career been trash for that long? Damn
Wasn't that a Michael Dudikoff/Cynthia Rothrock joint?

One of the greats of all time

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I won't trust anyone's review of American Assassin until they tell me what they thought about American Sniper. It's the new "What did you think of Batman V Superman" litmus test.

Sniper or American HUSTLE.

Hustle seems like it might be the better comparison point

(I really liked Hustle but I also never thought it was trying to be a serious Scorsese-esque drama, either. I thought it was pretty clearly a giant stupid farce from jump)

GhaleonEB

Would put it in the same ballpark as Hell or High Water and Sicario DoM.

Since it's Weinstien too, I'm expecting a solid Oscar push behind it. So Sheridan is going be moving up another notch this fall, again.

Jeremy Renner really needs a nom for it. He gives one of the best performances I've seen in years. I hope they push for it.

kswiston

Sniper or American HUSTLE.

Hustle seems like it might be the better comparison point

(I really liked Hustle but I also never thought it was trying to be a serious Scorsese-esque drama, either. I thought it was pretty clearly a giant stupid farce from jump)

American Hustle was decent. David O Russel films get people acting nominations that are head scratching to me though.

Didn't Silver Linings Playbook and American Hustle both score nominations in all four acting categories? I could see maybe half of those as being worthy of recognition. De Niro got nominated because it was the first time in a while that anyone had seen him give half a shit during a performance. His actual performance or that role in general weren't anything special. Bradley Cooper was put to shame by both Amy Adams and Christian Bale to such an extent that I don't see how anyone thought that he came off as memorable.

J_Viper

I remember really liking American Sniper.....

I just got back from seeing it a second time. Brought my wife this go round. Theater was nearly 4x as busy as when I saw it last week. Probably the holidays but between that and the numbers, I think WoM is rock solid.

Far and away my favorite film of the year so far.

That's great to hear!

American Hustle was decent. David O Russel films get people acting nominations that are head scratching to me though.

Didn't Silver Linings Playbook and American Hustle both score nominations in all four acting categories? I could see able half of those as being worthy of recognition.

You're not wrong. That dude has some sort of spell on the Academy. I like his films but I've never once finished one and thought "That was some real Oscar shit."

Saw Close Encounters last night, which makes the 4th classic Spielberg film I've seen in theatres this year, the others being Jurassic Park (3 times), Jaws, and E.T.. Wonder if I can squeeze out a 5th before the end of the year.

Edit: Hmm, indie joint in Phoenix is playing Raiders next week. That's... pretty far though, lol (edit 2: sold out anyway)

You're not wrong. That dude has some sort of spell on the Academy. I like his films but I've never once finished one and thought "That was some real Oscar shit."

Well he's been making such bland prestige pictures as of late. Three Kings and I Heart Huckabees were so fun too :(

Aside from boogie nights, Huckabees is marky mark at his best. Clueless moron that's really fun to watch

Only ninja movies that mattered starred Sho Kosugi

The Scott Adkins Ninja movies are pretty cool. Especially the second. I also really like the first couple of American Ninja movies. Finally, Ninja Assassin is kind of great. But then, Sho does appear in that one. He's just not the star.

Jolie on Maleficent 2 and the Dark Universe:
There were rumors that she might be doing Universal’s Bride Of Frankenstein but she said she is going back to Disney to do Maleficent 2. “We have been working on the script and this is going to be a really strong sequel,” she said, excited by the prospect of returning to that Disney villainess.

Bruckheimer on Pirates 5's reception and the future(also talks a bit about Top Gun 2 and Bad Boys later):
“I think it did phenomenal,” Bruckheimer told Yahoo Movies during an interview to promote the sequel’s upcoming Blu-ray release. “I mean, you’re talking about the fifth [film] in the series in a down market, and the American dollar is so strong that we’re getting less returns from foreign.”

Bruckheimer blamed a lower exchange rate for the U.S. dollar for significantly impacting the bottom line. “This movie would’ve [made] a billion dollars had it been back in the same financial [situation as On Stranger Tides],” he noted. “But we lost 27 percent of our money just by the conversion rate.”

Along with underperforming titles such as Transformers: The Last Knight and The Mummy, Pirates has been cited as an example of growing “franchise fatigue.” Bruckheimer discounts the argument, saying he believes it’s wrongly based on his film’s less than stellar reviews: Dead Men Tell No Tales registered only a 30 percent approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

“The media likes to run with the reviews and we didn’t get great reviews, so they like to say it didn’t do well,” he said. “But god it’s at what, $790 [million] now? It’s amazing.”

As to whether there will be a sixth Pirates movie — which the end credits to Dead Men Tell No Tales seemingly set up — Bruckheimer wasn’t offering any clues. “Well, I hope we can continue to make it,” he said, “but you know we’ve been having so much fun just promoting this one right now that we’ll just have to wait and see. Hopefully it’s very successful on DVD as the other ones have been. Then hopefully we’ll sit down and see where we go.”

Lima

I saw Book of Henry last night at the sneak preview (movie releases in Germany at the end of the month).

Yo what the fuck was that. I had read a bit about the negative reviews but oh my. What a ridiculous premise and manipulative movie.
I wanted to punch the kid who played Henry every time he was on screen. Judging by the reaction of one guy couple rows behind me when he finally died others felt the same.
This movie only strengthened my hate for kids.

The only ray of hope in this mess was Naomi Watts. My god she is stunning 😍

I'm sure Disney won't let him fuck with Star Wars though.

berzeli

Banned
EuropaCorp Ousts Deputy CEO Edouard De Vésrine
EuropaCorp has exited its Paris-based Deputy CEO, Edouard de Vésrine. The company made the announcement late Monday night saying the board had decided to terminate his contract so that he could “develop his production company.” De Vésrine was appointed to the post in April 2016 and his ouster comes amid the disappointing box office performance of Luc Besson’s costly sci-fi epic Valerian And The City Of A Thousand Planets.

The board said it had found that the TV and film production activities of de Vésrine’s Incognita banner were “no longer compatible” with keeping the exec in his role as Deputy CEO. However, Europa said the two companies will continue to develop projects together and maintain a first-look deal.
Not sure if that's "develop his production company" as in actually having a production company like Amy Pascal or "develop his production company" as in "Old Yeller lives at a farm upstate and is very happy".

Top Bottom