• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 09•22-24•17 - Return of the Kingsman, IT floats down a spot, Ninjago blocked

overcast

There's a non-zero chance that Armie Hammer picks up a best supporting actor nomination this winter. I guess that we have to remove him from the generic white actor list.
Yeah. I think he's one of the best of that crop generally. Wanted him for Batman.

It's always interesting when directors (at least those who are big enough that they can influence casting) latch on to particular actors over others. Especially in cases where that director is able to get much better performance out of the actor that pretty much everyone else. Like Sam Jackson and Tarantino.

Jackson is all over the place in his 900 feature film roles, but pretty much all of this Tarantino performances are excellent.

To be fair, Tarantino is able to get excellent performances from nearly everyone. Who the hell thought that David Carradine could be so charming and awesome in a film?

Tim Burton seems to gradually wear down his muses, especially when he's dating them. He's gonna suck the lifeforce out of Eva Green and then move onto the next one he meets on set.
Sadly, this is how I think of it as well.

Burton is dating her? Whew. The man is living the life. He probably asks her to dress up like morticia addams at home 👀

Also hammer was always talented. Well since social network at least

It was dumb seeing him in a list with ppl like the Hemsworths around here.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Tim Burton seems to gradually wear down his muses, especially when he's dating them. He's gonna suck the lifeforce out of Eva Green and then move onto the next one he meets on set.
And then put her life-force on a shelf in his study.

The Social Network is still one of the most mind blowing special effects I've ever seen in film. There's probably still a good chunk of the world who thinks Armie Hammer has a twin brother.
Josh Pence who?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
He should try sucking the talent out. Then he might actually make something worth a shit.

I think there was someone before Carter, I can't remember who she was, though.
Lisa Marie

641cb25a4a49197ec9ce0a4076ae6e1a.jpg

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I mean, has there really been more than two? Carter and Green?

Lisa Marie who he put in Ed Wood & Mars Attack, then that ended when he met Carter for Planet of the Apes, then Dark Shadows happens and he's on to Eva.

J_Viper

Wait, what's Arm and being nominated for? I've always liked him, so it'd be cool to see him get some recognition, even if he is already filthy rich.

When's it gonna be Taylor Kitsch's turn to shine?

Busty

Banned

Legendary made the lawyer who oversaw Wanda's take over of the company in the first place, and is known for corporate mergers and sell offs, their new CEO sooooo..,

Total speculation on my part but Hasbro (yes, the toy people) have been trying to get into the media business in a big way, maybe they could buy Legendary and turn it into a theatrical distributor/mini-studio just as Wanda planned to do before their financial devastation.

gamz

To be fair, Tarantino is able to get excellent performances from nearly everyone. Who the hell thought that David Carradine could be so charming and awesome in a film?

Sadly, this is how I think of it as well.

Its the casting. QT and his casting director have a gift of finding actors that perfectly fit his unique dialogue. It's uncanny how they strike gold in every film. I honestly don't have a clue how actors remember all those pages of words for a single scene?

Wait, what's Arm and being nominated for? I've always liked him, so it'd be cool to see him get some recognition, even if he is already filthy rich.

When's it gonna be Taylor Kitsch's turn to shine?

Funny you mention that. I just saw a preview for the mini series "Waco" and didn't realize until the very end that Taylor Kitsch was playing David Koresh(cult leader).

His performance looks like it could be incredible and definitely a type of role that he's never attempted before. Plus it has Michael Shannon!

Just saw Kingsman 2: The Golden Circle. Meh. Some fun moments and scenes, but aside from being about half an hour too long it felt like much of Millar and Vaughan's other works: it is like it was made by someone that never matured past the age of 15.

Vaughan's got the technical chops to do much better work. He just needs to rein in his adolescent tendencies.

May
• Untitled Avengers (BV) - 5/3
• The Rosie Project (TriS) - 5/10
• Uglydolls (STX) - 5/10
• John Wick: Chapter 3 (LG/S) - 5/17
• Aladdin (2019) (BV) - 5/24
• Minecraft (WB) - 5/24

June
• Charlie's Angels (2019) (Sony) - 6/7
• The Secret Life of Pets 2 (Uni.) - 6/7
• Untitled Fox/Marvel Film I (2019) (Fox) - 6/7
• Untitled DC Film (June 2019) (WB) - 6/14
• Toy Story 4 (BV) - 6/21
• Cowboy Ninja Viking (Uni.) - 6/28
• Transformers 7 (Par.) - 6/28
• Untitled Entertainment Studios (2019) (ENTMP) - 6/28

July
• Spider-Man: Homecoming 2 (Sony) - 7/5
• Top Gun (2019) (Par.) - 7/12
• The Lion King (Live Action) (BV) - 7/19
• SPA Animated Franchise (2019) (Sony) - 7/26
• Untitled Terminator Project (Par.) - 7/26

August
• The SpongeBob Movie (Par.) - 8/2
• Untitled WB Event Film I (2019) (WB) - 8/2
• Artemis Fowl (3D) (BV) - 8/9
• Untitled Universal Event Film (2019) (Uni.) - 8/16

September
• It: Chapter 2 (WB (NL)) - 9/6
• Untitled Blumhouse Productions Project (2019) (Uni.) - 9/6
• The Angry Birds Movie 2 (Sony) - 9/20
• Everest (2019) (Uni.) - 9/27
• Untitled WB Event Film II (2019) (WB) - 9/27

2019 is going to be a wild ride.

I am the weirdo that actually enjoyed Terminator 3. It is definitely not up to the same standards as the first two, but I appreciated the balls they had to wipe out humanity in the end.

Maybe Nolan will induct him in to the circle (No Australians allowed tho)

Anyone know if Nolan did not like working with Hugh Jackman?

I keep waiting for Nolan to team up with Jackman again, as I thought he pulled a great performance out of him in The Prestige but they still have never worked together again, even though Nolan reuses a ton of people

Your Name starring myself and whoever Slayven's favorite idol is will save Paramount

I keep waiting for Nolan to team up with Jackman again, as I thought he pulled a great performance out of him in The Prestige but they still have never worked together again, even though Nolan reuses a ton of people

Nolan hasn't worked with Leo since Inception either.

Sometimes peeps are just too busy

Jeepers Creepers 3 made $1.77M yesterday in 635 theaters from what I think was exclusively 7PM shows. I wonder if Screen Media regrets not giving it a full release.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Legendary made the lawyer who oversaw Wanda's take over of the company in the first place, and is known for corporate mergers and sell offs, their new CEO sooooo..,

Total speculation on my part but Hasbro (yes, the toy people) have been trying to get into the media business in a big way, maybe they could buy Legendary and turn it into a theatrical distributor/mini-studio just as Wanda planned to do before their financial devastation.

Hasbro would want to invest in an already profitable media business (they tried with Dreamworks and LionsGate, but failed); acquiring a money-losing venture that bleeds more cash than Paramount has last year in it's worst year is not a sane investment thesis.

Gaining Legendary gives them literally a fat nothing - they don't own most of their film franchises (Godzilla - Toho, Pokemon Detective - The Pokemon Company, Jurassic World/Park - they are financing the film - Universal, etc.)

So yeah, don't see that happening anytime but Hasbro has been exploring acquiring a media entity, you're correct, but I don't know one that would be willing to "sell" to Hasbro.

Busty

Banned
Hasbro would want to invest in an already profitable media business (they tried with Dreamworks and LionsGate, but failed); acquiring a money-losing venture that bleeds more cash than Paramount has last year in it's worst year is not a sane investment thesis.

Gaining Legendary gives them literally a fat nothing - they don't own most of their film franchises (Godzilla - Toho, Pokemon Detective - The Pokemon Company, Jurassic World/Park - they are financing the film - Universal, etc.)

So yeah, don't see that happening anytime but Hasbro has been exploring acquiring a media entity, you're correct, but I don't know one that would be willing to "sell" to Hasbro.

If they can get it at a good price (Wanda are just running down the clock on Legendary and will hope someone buys it) the Legendary name could be a good brand to build a theatrical infrastructure on. I do stress the wording 'good price' though.

While Legendary may have lost nearly $600m last year they do have a TV division that's not doing badly (they have Lost In Space coming to Netflix next year) and, again, they could be a real 'fixer upper' if Hasbro were willing to spend the money rather than starting from scratch as STX have been doing to mixed results.

kswiston

September 2017 should become the highest grossing September in history as of today. I'm not sure if we'll get $700M for the month, but it will be really close.

Boxoffice.com thinks that IT will retake #1 this weekend. They have American Made at $13.9M and Flatliners at $7.6M

It's probably time to retire the Cruise Missile talk for domestic grosses. It seems like audiences are pretty indifferent to Tom Cruise vehicles outside of Mission Impossible in recent years.

GhaleonEB

September 2017 should become the highest grossing September in history as of today. I'm not sure if we'll get $700M for the month, but it will be really close.

Boxoffice.com thinks that IT will retake #1 this weekend. They have American Made at $13.9M and Flatliners at $7.6M

It's probably time to retire the Cruise Missile talk for domestic grosses. It seems like audiences are pretty indifferent to Tom Cruise vehicles outside of Mission Impossible in recent years.

Their hold for IT seems a bit optimistic. That's a better one that it's had to date. Should be close though.

kswiston

Their hold for IT seems a bit optimistic. That's a better one that it's had to date. Should be close though.

Holds do tend to get better in later weeks for films that aren't getting dumped by exhibitors. But on the other hand, the daily drops this week haven't been all that fantastic.

I could see Kingsman 2 getting a second win if it doesn't have a mid 60s drop.

Don't think I've ever heard of Jackman being anything less than a class act. I would be shocked if they had issues.

I really don't think its that complicated- given Jackman's prominent role in a comic franchise its probably a good possibility that a role in Nolan's Batman movies was off the table whether or not it was an actual contractual mandate.

For Inception, you don't cast Jackman in the lead when you got Leo. He could have maybe done the Hardy or JGL characters but I don't think those roles are high profile enough to be honest.

Similar situation for Interstellar. If he wasn't the lead then it would have to be
Matt Damon's character

For Dunkirk did Nolan cast anyone who wasn't British?

GhaleonEB

Holds do tend to get better in later weeks for films that aren't getting dumped by exhibitors. But on the other hand, the daily drops this week haven't been all that fantastic.

I could see Kingsman 2 getting a second win if it doesn't have a mid 60s drop.
Yeah, understanding the trends, it was the dailies I was looking at. Plus there's actual competition with Kingsman and the new openings, seems unlikely to bounce back from trend.

Top Bottom