• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 09•22-24•17 - Return of the Kingsman, IT floats down a spot, Ninjago blocked

I am the weirdo that actually enjoyed Terminator 3. It is definitely not up to the same standards as the first two, but I appreciated the balls they had to wipe out humanity in the end.

The chase with the truck crane thing was better than anything in either of the following sequels.

kswiston

It's basically Friday, and there are only 4 (rotten) reviews up on RT for Flatliners. Smells like a quality remake to me.

berzeli

Banned
American Made? More like American Made Not A Lot of Money (sorry)
Tom Cruise’s latest movie American Made made $960K last night in previews at 2,455 theaters which is one of his lowest Thursday nights in recent history.
American Made boasts fantastic reviews at 86% certified fresh — higher than The Mummy (16% Rotten) and Jack Reacher: Never Go Back (37% Rotten) — but it’s only expected to bring in a three-day that’s in the mid to high teens
The rest:
20th Century Fox/MARV’s Kingsman: The Golden Circle will remain the cool guys at the B.O., expected to hold No. 1 with a three-day around $20M. In its first week, Kingsman: Golden Circle has jotted down $49.7M which is nickels and cents above its first chapter’s $49.58M. Yesterday, the Matthew Vaughn-directed movie made $2M.

New Line/Warner Bros.’ It is also expected to hold strong with a third weekend around $15M in its third sesh. By Sunday, It should be close to $289M; there’s no question this movie is headed to $300M. The Stephen King movie is still the horror film to see, and all other genre pics are getting mowed over by it including mother!, last weekend’s Friend Request and this weekend’s Cross Creek/Sony film Flatliners which did not hold previews last night, and is only expected to gross in the mid-to-high single digits. Boo!

Also Blade Runner might not be doomed:
‘Blade Runner 2049’ Pacing Faster In Advance Ticket Sales Than ‘Gravity’ & ‘Mad Max: Fury Road’
Fandango reports that Alcon/Sony/Warner Bros.’ Blade Runner 2049 is significantly outselling previous October top grossers The Martian and Gravity, as well as Mad Max: Fury Road at the same point in their Fandango advance ticket sales cycles.

Tickets for Blade Runner 2049 have literally been on sale for a week, and industry estimates have its stateside start in the low-to-mid $40Ms. We’ll see if that projection rises after today as the review embargo is lifting. Currently the sequel’s Rotten Tomatoes score from roughly 30 reviews stands at 97% fresh. Variety’s Peter DeBruge is already calling Blade Runner 2049 “A Spectacle for the Ages. Blade Runner 2049 ranks as one of the great science-fiction films of all-time”.
However it could just be front loaded.

So we're aiming for Mad Max Fury Road at best, where a film ekes over the line into commercially successful, but the critical buzz is worth it overall for the studio.

Mad Max: Fury Road was $378 million worldwide on a $150 million budget. $450 million was the high point listed elsewhere in this thread. I think a bit lower, but we'll see.

kunonabi

The chase with the truck crane thing was better than anything in either of the following sequels.

Yeah, that chase sequence, the ending, the angle they went with Connor, and Claire Danes were all great.

Cut out the awful humor, Arnold's big "acting" moment and completely rethink or at least recast the Terminatrix and there could have been a decent film in there.

berzeli

Banned
So we're aiming for Mad Max Fury Road at beast, where a film ekes over the line into commercially successful, but the critical buzz is worth it overall for the studio.

Mad Max: Fury Road was $378 million worldwide on a $150 million budget. $450 million was the high point listed elsewhere in this thread. I think a bit lower, but we'll see.

Heh, on that comparison:
Variety: [Oscars:] Is ‘Blade Runner 2049’ Another ‘Mad Max: Fury Road’ for Warner Bros.?

But I agree, Mad Max levels would probably be where BR:2049 ends up, there's not much in terms of competition/audience overlap/spectacle until Thor: Ragnarok so maybe it has a bit more room. Would be lovely to see it breakout though.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Yeah, that chase sequence, the ending, the angle they went with Connor, and Claire Danes were all great.

Cut out the awful humor, Arnold's big "acting" moment and completely rethink or at least recast the Terminatrix and there could have been a decent film in there.

T3 is worth it for the ending. Legit great.

Fingers crossed for 2049. It's purely anecdotal of course but I've legit never met anyone who actually likes Blade Runner in real life, hence why I had some doubts about the sequel's success. But I hope it does great.

And regarding T3, I like it. It's a perfectly acceptable b-movie follow-up to the first two films. Mostow did a good job for the most part. It really feels like the most expensive direct-to-video film ever made but I don't mind, I had fun with it.

kswiston

Deadline is saying $18-19M for Kingsman 2 based on early Friday numbers of around $5.5M today. That would be a decent hold if true.

IT is expected to take second place with $4.8M today (-47% from last Friday if that holds).

Americsn Made is trending towards $5.6M, including close to $1M from previews. If numbers hold, ir should come in third.

Flatliners is trending towards $2.6M today. Which is almost certainly under what the original did 27 years ago (Mojo doesnt have dailies, but its opening weekend was $10M).

Saw American Made today (thanks moviepass), not bad and fun to watch but really nothing special and no crazy action scenes or anything memorable. In a world with 30 hours of Narcos on Netflix covering the same period/subject matter, it would have to be a crazy focused movie (ie Sicario) to rise above that I think, although it is of course unfair to compare a Netflix series to a movie.

It just felt kind of tame and a bit unfocused, like it kept diving into interesting topics - how would insane amounts of money affect a small town, the agents who started sniffing the case, the CIA machinations - but pulled back hard every turn to just play it all a little too goofy.

Tom Cruise is great as the same character Tom Cruise plays in every movie, the upbeat forever 35 American everyman who gets put into crazy situations. The rest of the cast is pretty forgettable. It was a nice little flashback to the 80s I guess.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
I noticed something maybe interesting, maybe not about American Made yesterday. Over the past few weeks I’ve seen a lot of ads for it that portray it as “Tom Cruise does crazy shit for two hours: The Movie”, but the most recent ad I saw was just a montage of action and women, with Cruise only seen briefly at the end. I’m wondering if they realized Cruise isn’t drawing people in anymore.

But it also might be nothing.

The audience at my showing of American Made earlier today was about 95% grey-haired people, so it's definitely not pulling the extra audiences they're hoping to get.

kswiston

Friday Studio Estimates:

1) American Made - $6.0M
2) IT - $4.9M (-46%) - $279M total
3) Kingsman: The Golden Circle - $4.9M (-68%) - $54M total
4) Lego Ninjago Movie - $2.7M (-53%) - $26M total
5) Flatliners - $2.2M
6) Battle of the Sexes - $1.1M
7) American Assassin - $935k (-50%) - $29M
8) Home Again - $530k (-48%) - $28M
9) Til Death Do Us Part -$505k
10) mother! - $440k (-58%) - $15M total

Deadline's early numbers were too optimistic for Kingsman. American made also did a bit better than early estimates suggested. Keeping in mind that the Friday figure for American Made includes $960k from Thursday, and that opening releases have more frontloaded weekends, the top 3 this weekend should all be very close.

Deadline's early numbers were too optimistic for Kingsman. American made also did a bit better than early estimates suggested. Keeping in mind that the Friday figure for American Made includes $960M from Thursday, and that opening releases have more frontloaded weekends, the top 3 this weekend should all be very close.

...I assume you mean K or else watch out Star Wars.

kswiston

Was Flatliners from the 90s even considered a huge piece of work back then?

It made around $60M domestic, which is about equivalent to a $125M grosser today.

So not really.

It was outgrossed by this in 1990

Bird_on_a_wire_poster.jpg

EDIT:

And this:

5129M8G3TVL.jpg

and this:

41SDBETD8DL.jpg

I suppose that it has remained slightly more relevant than any of those, but no one was crying out for a remake.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I’m surprised people don’t want to see American Made. The trailers made it look like a crazy movie, the reviews are great. I’m not even a Cruise fan and I want to see it.

GhaleonEB

Also to be fair, Presumed Innocent was a pretty big hit.

Presumed Innocent grossed $86,303,188 during its North American theatrical run. Coupled with its international take of $135 million, it accumulated $221,303,188 in worldwide box office totals. In North America, it was the twelfth highest-grossing film of 1990, and the fourth highest-grossing R-rated film released that year. Worldwide, it was the eighth highest-grossing film of 1990, as well as Warner Bros.' highest-grossing film that year.

Regardless, of all the 90s properties to remake, I don't think anyone was calling for more Flatliners. At least we'll get a lot of easy puns for headlines about this weekend's box office.

GhaleonEB

Was Presumed Innocent the one where Harrison Ford tried to down a woman in a bathtub?

Or is that something else?

Something else. It's a thriller/mystery where he is accused of murder. There is no action of any sort in it.

Great film, BTW. The novel is excellent.

Was Presumed Innocent the one where Harrison Ford tried to down a woman in a bathtub?

Or is that something else?

That is What Lies Beneath, which is great. So many trick CGI shots in there.

Something else. It's a thriller/mystery where he is accused of murder. There is no action of any sort in it.

The film is great. And Raul Julia is awesome as always in it.

kswiston

Also to be fair, Presumed Innocent was a pretty big hit.

They were all top 20 domestic films of the year, so they were all well received. They just didn't have much of a lasting impact. Misery and Edward Scissorhands did worse at the 1990 box office, but I think that people under 30 are much more likely to have seen those than any of the films that I quoted.

Toa TAK

Banned

Sweet.

I'll have to check it out. It's on HBOGO/NOW lo and behold.
That is What Lies Beneath, which is great. So many trick CGI shots in there.
AH! That's what it was.

I dunno why but that scene stuck with me since I was a kid.

Guess I'm not accustomed to seeing Han Solo go bad.

kswiston

Yup. And I like how Zemeckis approaches it as “What would Hitchcock do if he had CGI?”
So many impossible angles and camera moves in there that are seamless.

Zemeckis had an extremely successful box office run from Back to the Future to Castaway, before he decided that the world really needed photorealistic CGI films.

They were all top 20 domestic films of the year, so they were all well received. They just didn't have much of a lasting impact. Misery and Edward Scissorhands did worse at the 1990 box office, but I think that people under 30 are much more likely to have seen those than any of the films that I quoted.

The twist in Presumed Innocent kept it in the public eye for a good while These days, however, I suspect that more people are aware of the same twist when Jeph Loeb stole it outright for a Batman comic book.

kswiston

By chance I stumbled on The Sixth Sense.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=sixthsense.htm

Damn. That's impressive as hell.

Edit: Seems to be the norm for successful movies back then. Way higher multiplier than movies today. Also less frontloaded, tbf.

Nah. The Sixth Sense had a highly unusual run for 1999, even if films tended to be less front loaded then than they are now.

Some of the bigger openings that year just had atypical openings.

The Phantom Menace still had great legs for a blockbuster, but it opened on a Wednesday. Its 5-day opening was $105M. Compare that to $35M for the Sixth Sense's first 5 days. It's pretty widely believed that The Phantom Menace could have broken $90M on its opening weekend if it opened on a Friday (The record at the time was $72M for The Lost World). The Phantom Menace also had Memorial Day weekend on its second weekend, back when that actually mattered.

Toy Story 2 also opened (wide) on a Wednesday, scoring $80M that Thanksgiving weekend. Disney's modern Thanksgiving releases actually don't compare too poorly to that as far as legs go. Moana was a bit more frontloaded, while Frozen had much better legs than both.

The Blair Witch had a platform release. Stuart Little and The Green Mile were December films that got holiday leg boosts.

The Matrix was similar to The Sixth Sense in that excellent WOM gave it long legs, but The Sixth Sense was still on another level. The Sixth Sense opened to less than $27M, and went on to make over $20M for 5 consecutive weekends. It was over $10M for another 2 weekends.

Compare that to Get Out, which was the leggiest thriller of the past several years. Get Out opened to $33M, and managed 3 weekends over $20M and an additional weekend over $10M.

The twist in Presumed Innocent kept it in the public eye for a good while These days, however, I suspect that more people are aware of the same twist when Jeph Loeb stole it outright for a Batman comic book.
Long Halloween was so different when reading it monthly when it released. It loses a bit when collected in one volume.

Top Bottom