• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 06•12-14•15 - It's Jurassic World, we all just live in it, dino-might!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busty

Banned
Who could have expected this.

Agreed. Genuinely shocked.

A lacklustre ad campaign didn't seem to hurt this at all. I think people were looking for something different and, like the planets aligning, everything just came together for Universal.

Nostalgia? Check.

Chris Pratt headling another genre summer event film? Check.

The first dinosaur in the market place since...., JP3?! Check.

Given Universal's releases for the rest of the year (Ted 2, Minions, Straight Outta Compton, Everest) it feels like the studio could really take the market share crown this year. A feat that would probably be even more of an upset than Jurassic World's opening numbers.

border

How likely is it that Jurassic World will take the weekend record from Avengers when the actual numbers are available?

kswiston

If we are talking about the calendar year, Universal definitely has a solid shot at the 2015 crown. It's release slate is front heavy, so little earnings from this year's films will spill into 2016.

Ahasverus

Chris Pratt has nothing to do with this, he's inoffensive at best, JP success comes from nostalgia 100%. Which is good, I'm nostalgic too.

Ridley327

I think Straight Outta Compton could be a sleeper.

It seems like that. Responses to the trailers have been strong, and it's a story that really hasn't had a big attempt like this before, despite the public admiration for the principal characters (sorry, MC Ren fans).

It seems like that. Responses to the trailers have been strong, and it's a story that really hasn't had a big attempt like this before, despite the public admiration for the principal characters (sorry, MC Ren fans).

They really are doing Lorenzo dirty on this movie. Like he didn't write half the words that fell out of Dre & Eazy's mouth.

The GAF backlash will happen at some point.

It's been happening for about 8 months now.

Busty

Banned
If we are talking about the calendar year, Universal definitely has a solid shot at the 2015 crown. It's release slate is front heavy, so little earnings from this year's films will spill into 2016.

I have a feeling that Universal will try and get a Jurassic World sequel out for 2017, scheduled permitting, because their slate looks a little thin for the next couple of years apart from the Bourne film next year.

It feels a little like 'every dog has its day' with Universal's slate this year. They aren't known for their 'big swings' (Battleship being Exhibit A) and when they've tired to go head to head with the likes of WB and Disney in the past it has been a disaster for them.

But suddenly a revitalised Jurassic Park/World franchise gives them something so that they don't have to lean do heavily on the Fast/Furious films (which are an unknown quantity from here on out) even if they do potentially have to give the lion's share of the JW profits to Amblin and Spielberg.

Chris Pratt has nothing to do with this, he's inoffensive at best, JP success comes from nostalgia 100%. Which is good, I'm nostalgic too.

I think if a movie has a star people like, they'll go see it. It's highly anecdotal, but I know a decent chunk people who went to see this either solely or in part to him being in it. (Obviously that's not the reason this movie blew up at all, because it's not. I'm just saying he's got pull for some people.)

kswiston

I am not sure if it has been said in one of the other threads, but Jurassic World is going to break that new "quickest to $1B" record that Furious 7 set.

Ridley327

They really are doing Lorenzo dirty on this movie. Like he didn't write half the words that fell out of Dre & Eazy's mouth.

You have to appreciate him being more of a behind-the-scenes talent, but considering the kind of noise that Dre, Cube, and E made, the public is (sadly) not going to be interested in any of that.

kswiston

So dinos are faster than cars confirmed

I mentioned when Furious 7 took the record that it wouldn't stand very long. You just needed a film that was big (>$1.2B) worldwide and saw China, Domestic and the majority of the overseas markets launch simultaneously.

Furious 7 had the record because Avengers' launch was all over the place. Jurassic World will take the record because domestic is larger and it doesn't have to wait until day 12 of 17 for China to debut.

pestul

The weekday totals should start to get interesting soon with school getting out too. JW could be close to or above $250M domestic before next weekend. It will be neat to see where this one ends up on the all-time list.

The weekday totals should start to get interesting soon with school getting out too. JW could be close to or above $250M domestic before next weekend. It will be neat to see where this one ends up on the all-time list.

Top 10 is pretty much guaranteed at this point.

kswiston

Man of Steel made $40M from its first 4 weekdays, so I think you are lowballing things for Jurassic World.

A lot of schools are already out. Jurassic World will be closer to $270M going into next weekend I believe.

Laz-E-Boy

what in the holy hell...

I was thinking around 100 million at best, now it might break the Avengers record when actuals come in?!

Biggest box office shocker I've seen in a while.

This is the first time since week 2 of Avatar that I have been genuinely shocked by a movie's box office.

I mean seriously, what? But my parents told me they went to see it this weekend, so what do I know? They took us to see the original 22 years ago, maybe this was a slept on demographic?

Sesha

where is my Next gen Dino crisis Capcom???

I can just imagine the CEO of Capcom sitting at his desk while looking at his bank account on his phone, wondering why their mobile business is so slow and dreaming about his entertainment media empire, while outside of his office employees are running around like headless chickens, desperately asking themselves how they will break the news that the new Jurassic Park movie is a colossal hit, and no one had thought to start development on another Dino Crisis .

xaosslug

Studios sees JW
- Time to dial down on superheroes

Mahvel gets FF :p

the movies STILL pull in hundreds of millions and make ridiculous bank... as much as fans love to think otherwise, studios don't really care about records as long as money is being made.

that said, after GoTG and now Jurassic Park, FOX is sitting pretty as their X-Men/FF properties can pretty seamlessly explore both realms. LOL

pestul

Man of Steel made $40M from its first 4 weekdays, so I think you are lowballing things for Jurassic World.

A lot of schools are already out. Jurassic World will be closer to $270M going into next weekend I believe.
Yeah, you're 100% right. I just went back through some post OW late June releases and it seems >$10M per day Mon-Thurs should be expected or it would be disappointing. Since WOM is strong, we might get >$15M days.

gimmmick

God gawd almighty! Wasn't every site estimating 125 million just 2 days ago?

Universal exes must be so happy this year.

Jawmuncher

I can just imagine the CEO of Capcom, sitting at his desk, looking at his bank account on his phone, wondering why their mobile business is so slow, dreaming about his entertainment media empire, while outside of his office employees are running around like headless chickens, wondering how they will break the news that the new Jurassic Park movie is a colossal hit, and no one had thought to start development on another Dino Crisis .

I love this.

kswiston

Yeah, you're 100% right. I just went back through some post OW late June releases and it seems >$10M per day Mon-Thurs should be expected or it would be disappointing. Since WOM is strong, we might get >$15M days.

I am expecting $20-22M on Monday, $18-20M on Tuesday, and then maybe $12-14M on Wed/Thurs.

The low end of that would be $62M. I think the worst case scenario is $55M from Mon-Thurs, which would still put the film at $260M heading into its second weekend.

jman2050

We all forgot about the kids. That's basically what it boils down to. It was actually shocking to me how many families were in my line to see this movie.

It's pretty silly in hindsight because kids are what drove the first movie to dizzying heights, why the hell wouldn't they be the strongest demographic in place for a follow-up built up and marketed as a successor to that?

Oersted

tumblr_nmrci1A2jq1sidblso1_500.gif

Well I guess San Andreas is going to make its money back. Thanks Rock

Jurassic 8: Furious in Space incoming. Watch The Rock and Vin Diesel tagteam Crooked Eye Rex, half T-Rex, half Steve Buscemi.

what in the holy hell...

I was thinking around 100 million at best, now it might break the Avengers record when actuals come in?!

Biggest box office shocker I've seen in a while.

I know right. I guess fans of the original were going to see it. And they are going to take their kids with them also.

I think the analyst forgot to think about long the first movie came out the kids that seen it then are adults with kids now. So the adults are going to take their kids with them to see it.

I remember watching the first movie on VHS when I was like 5 and I loved it. Its the draw of Dinosaurs I guess.

Some how this image seems appropriate

jurassicpark_trex.jpg

DSN2K

not shocked at all by Jurassic World. Great film, perhaps the perfect summer family movie, was always gonna do big numbers.

pestul

This kind of cements that the Super Hero genre peaked. Going the way of the western begins now.
Not really. I think it just means there is now room again for the traditional action blockbuster that isn't a superhero film + the superhero blockbusters.

kswiston

Not really. I think it just means there is now room again for the traditional action blockbuster that isn't a superhero film + the superhero blockbusters.

As long as it is part of a series that has been running for over a decade.

If you are an action blockbuster from a new IP, do not pass go and go straight to the "$250-400M worldwide, you better hope your budget was modest" pile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom