• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 06•12-14•15 - It's Jurassic World, we all just live in it, dino-might!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrbob

Crazy number for Jurassic World. Movie was good but surprised it almost shattered the record. Goes to show what proper marketing can do.

I'm more surprised at the Pitch Perfect 2 drop. Why did it only drop 20.8 percent this past weekend? Did Universal run some bundle promo showings this weekend with Pitch Perfect 2 and Jurassic World together?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
tumblr_nnwwq9Qpk41r49r0wo1_500.gif

guek

Banned
Not really. I think it just means there is now room again for the traditional action blockbuster that isn't a superhero film + the superhero blockbusters.

I don't think Jurassic World's success means anything other than the IP still being a major player. That's as far as you can extrapolate. Prior to JW, no one was saying the only viable blockbusters were capes films either, especially in the wake of F7.

Let's wait until Ant-Man release

Man, I want it to do well because it'll hopefully be a great flick but the glee of seeing doomsayers move their goal posts once again would be a fantastic cherry on top.

guek

Banned
Are you for real?

What I'm saying is, the biggest sh movie of the year (and the biggest in years) could not beat 2 (and probably 3 with SW) other kind of films targeted at the same demographic, people made a choice.

And that choice being super hero films are still immensely, outrageously popular. Stop peddling your delusional shit.

Mrbob

As someone who doesn't follow comics I do feel like Marvel has jumped the shark having a movie called Ant Man. But I'll see it due to Paul Rudd being awesome. If he wasn't in it I wouldn't care about the movie.

Anth0ny

This kind of cements that the Super Hero genre peaked. Going the way of the western begins now.

ehhhhhhhh

Lets wait for Civil War, BvS and Suicide Squad, all of which sound way more interesting than the #5 highest grossing film of all time, Age of Ultron.

Ahasverus

And that choice being super hero films are still immensely, outrageously popular. Stop peddling your delusional shit.
I didn't say they are unpopular, I said they peaked. I sincerely doubt any cbfilm will have a larger box office than Avengers or be more critically acclaimed than TDK.

kswiston

Some Worldwide box office updates:

Avengers: Age of Ultron - $1.362B
Tomorrowland - $187M
Pitch Perfect 2 - $262M
Furious 7 - $1.511B
Spy - $137M
San Andreas - $373M
Mad Max: Fury Road - $334M

Jurassic World killed a lot of holdovers. T

The Furious 7 number looks wrong unless Universal adjusted some of their previously reported overseas earnings down, but if that is correct, it won't pass Avengers. Last week's estimate was $1.510B.

I didn't say they are unpopular, I said they peaked. I sincerely doubt any cbfilm will have a larger box office than Avengers or be more critically acclaimed than TDK.

Unless you are modifying this with "in the next 5 years" this is a pretty dumb prediction.

guek

Banned

Which is just more of your sad wishful thinking that they're "going the way of the western."

Blader

This is kind of a foolish thing to say since no one was expecting Avengers or TDK to have the success they did either.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I know its way out but I think I'm gonna guess 115m opening Weekend (assuming friday opening) for SW with a 550 gross
edit; although given holiday legs that may be lowballing the total gross

This is kind of a foolish thing to say since no one was expecting Avengers or TDK to have the success they did either.

A peak merely implies that the popularity has crested and can't be achieved again.

For a gaming analogy, Call of Duty is still the biggest annual franchise but it clearly peaked with either Modern Warfare 2 or the first Black Ops in terms of popularity.

BvS, Avengers 3, Cap 3, and GOTG 2 can all be tremendously successful without ever passing the first Avengers.

kswiston

BvS, Avengers 3, Cap 3, and GOTG 2 can all be tremendously successful without ever passing the first Avengers.

What makes his statement silly is the fact that you could have presented that same argument 3-4 times in the past 25 years and seemed to have been perfectly justified for a number of years.

Batman is the peak! Batman Returns couldn't match it. No wait, Spider-man is the peak! Spider-man 2 came up short. Actually it looks like The Dark Knight is the Peak! etc, etc.

Abounder

Banned

Yea these things go in cycles, hell Sony fucked up even with the no.1 superhero and former box office king in Spider-Man. Superhero films are going to have a lot more competition, which is great for everyone.

Ultratech

Jurassic 8: Furious in Space incoming. Watch The Rock and Vin Diesel tagteam Crooked Eye Rex, half T-Rex, half Steve Buscemi.

I was gonna go with Jurassic Universe.

You know, get all Galactic and shit with Dinosaurs in Space.

But that works too.

Seriously, if Fox wanted, they could have both Jurassic World AND Guardians of the Galaxy ready to go in one property. Stick the X-Force in the savage lands, and start a Cyclops and the Starjammers series in outer space.

Cross 'em over in the third movie. X-Force has mentally controlled the dinosaurs and team up with the Starjammers to take out some interstellar threat. Mutants riding Dinosaurs fighting Aliens in outer-space.

BILLIONS.

Seriously, if Fox wanted, they could have both Jurassic World AND Guardians of the Galaxy ready to go in one property. Stick the X-Force in the savage lands, and start a Cyclops and the Starjammers series in outer space.

Cross 'em over in the third movie. X-Force has mentally controlled the dinosaurs and team up with the Starjammers to take out some interstellar threat. Mutants riding Dinosaurs fighting Aliens in outer-space.

BILLIONS.
I have waited my entire life for this.

It's not gonna happen anytime soon, is it?

BILLIONS.

Why you showing me shit I can't have, Bob?

Ithil

This kind of cements that the Super Hero genre peaked. Going the way of the western begins now.

This, again? People suddenly become economic geniuses when talking about box office figures for genres they don't like. "The bubble has burst!"

UberTag

BILLIONS.
I only want this if Pratt can star opposite himself.

I did my part for the box office this weekend by catching Mad Max: Fury Road twice over the past 4 days.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
That's a very narrow focus you're using.
Every third or fourth post is basicly "LULZ, the movie made only 1.3 billion dollars".
Maybe I am so annoyed by this shit that I notice them more than other, but there not to deny that most of BoxofficeGAF is posting this most the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom